Topic Subject:More E3 Videos
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Caesarion
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 08:56 AM EDT (US)         
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7044
http://www.gamearena.com.au/features/e3-2005/
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/index.html?video_key=9174

Use www.google.de(age of empires 3 video E3 2005) and perhaps you can find more E3 2005 videos!

[This message has been edited by Caesarion (edited 05-30-2005 @ 08:59 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Ajs77311
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 02:59 PM EDT (US)     26 / 67       
I'm really trusting ES on the Drop-Off point exclusion (that's the right word, right?).
They say there is a lot of other things to worry about, so In ES I trust.
But honestly, it'll be missed.

About the smoke trails, I honestly don't care.
With canons, it's really cool, but with musketeers and regular troops w/ guns, I don't care.

As to the econ, other than no drop-offs, I see no dumbing down of it that will truely affect anything big.

Scouting, best be 100% under my control, and no auto bullshit. Period.

I am 100% for battles needing to be micro'd by myself, with havoc, ect. it'll be great.

Right now, I cannt remember anything I worried about. But I know I am, I'm just forgeting...

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 03:02 PM EDT (US)     27 / 67       
I forgot to add this:

Managing battles is great, and is awesome that it will take strategy to execute sucessfully now. My whole gripe is that it seems to be improving at the expense of losing econ. Alone, the battle changes are awesome and welcome.

Edit: About the first video, fastforward to 3:17 and watch the villagers place the house. No snap to grid or tile placement, cool!

Edit 2: Campaign looks awesome, and the world just feels so alive. Looks great.

[This message has been edited by CaptainPoncho (edited 05-30-2005 @ 03:14 PM).]

deduijk
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 03:22 PM EDT (US)     28 / 67       
They have to make choices.
You cannot have the micro managed eco of aoe1 and the battle complexity they are trying to add.

I liked my alantean villies. And saying you didn't need to micromanage them.. In fact you needed to micro them more. As they were very powerfull vils u got less. Which meant u had to shift them between resources more.

Still there are dozen of new things. So i am sure the change that u don't have to built a lumbercamp, mine etc. isn't goin to dumb it down (that much).

I too had my worries when i started reading about the game, but as time got by I heard new things.., new exciting things so i cannot wait. I do hope they don't spend to much time on making units fly etc (lookls kewl and they should be proud of it) and keep their focus on the gameplay and balance like they always have.
But like i said somewhere else, I suspect that the physics were overly used to show it off at E3. That is what attracts people to it. Bruce even mentioned something like that somewhere in a post.
A lot of things are still in the process of making/ testing/ remaking etc. So i would hold out a while.

1thing: Ofcourse u r entitled to your oppinion, but mentioning something that was in an other game and u know isn't in this one makes me wonder..; why write that here at all then.. It seems that the remark should be in the ron forums. not here.

CU,
deduijk

CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 03:25 PM EDT (US)     29 / 67       

Quote:

1thing: Ofcourse u r entitled to your oppinion, but mentioning something that was in an other game and u know isn't in this one makes me wonder..; why write that here at all then.. It seems that the remark should be in the ron forums. not here.

There's nothing wrong with comparing RoN to AoEIII.

And, about still being excited about the game, of course. Every complaint of mine is overshadowed by 1000 good things about the game. This is still #1 on my waiting list for games, and that says a lot because there are a lot of releases I'm waiting for. If all we did was make posts about "Hey, Havok is cool!" The forum would be useless to devs. No need to fix what isn't broken. Age III still looks like the best game coming out this year if not the best game for quite a few years

[This message has been edited by CaptainPoncho (edited 05-30-2005 @ 03:30 PM).]

Neon_Blue
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 04:06 PM EDT (US)     30 / 67       
jk01101: I agree. Scouting and economics has been great in past ES games, especially AoK:TC.. I'd be all for aoc's economic and scouting with new military and graphics and etc.. but I hope that ES will come through. N00bifying the game isn't a good thing, and hopefully they'll fix it up for us hardcore guys who can do many, many things at once- eco, military, scouting and more.. because that's what sets us apart: we can multitask, n00bs can't.

---NeonBlue---
Super penguin rider
Mostly Harmless
We are Perfectly Safe
harr
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 04:09 PM EDT (US)     31 / 67       

Quote:

It wasn't fun in Rise of Nations and it won't be fun here

I've got to agree with a lot of what you said and especially that bit. I got tired of rise of nations very quickly. AOM wasn't too bad economy wise though, I thought it did it quite well, though I would like AOE3 to have at least as much economic managment, though it looks as if it will have even less. I enjoyed RTW and battle for middle-earth though, both of which had very little economic focus so I'm sure I'll enjoy aoe3 to, but it is a shame to take away economic complexity.
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 05-30-05 04:10 PM EDT (US)     32 / 67       
The whole: "it sucked in RoN" thing is really dumb as it's your single opinion that it sucked, not everyone else's.

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 05-30-2005 @ 04:11 PM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 04:37 PM EDT (US)     33 / 67       
in aom, when you had many farms together and then your enemy meteored it, then you had to micro and multi task (expecialy when enemy also attacks).
CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 05:49 PM EDT (US)     34 / 67       

Quote:

The whole: "it sucked in RoN" thing is really dumb as it's your single opinion that it sucked, not everyone else's.

Yeah? You'd have to assume it's their opinion by the virtue that they said it. This whole forum is based on opinions, for example, it's your opinion you think it's really dumb that he said that. Nothing factual can be attributed to what people like and don't like, it's sort of a given that it was his opinion.

[This message has been edited by CaptainPoncho (edited 05-30-2005 @ 05:53 PM).]

lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 05:58 PM EDT (US)     35 / 67       
Thought it sucked in Rise of Nations as well. Boring and lame. I have concerns about the game as well, especially the economy aspects but you have to play it to know. Of course by then its too late.

Quote:

You cannot have the micro managed eco of aoe1 and the battle complexity they are trying to add.

Why not?

Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 06:13 PM EDT (US)     36 / 67       

Quoted from lachlan:

I have concerns about the game as well, especially the economy aspects but you have to play it to know.

Of course by then its too late.

Yes, I totally agree. If the fans wait until they play the game and let developers know what they don't like, it would be way too late.

Nevertheless, having no drop-off points and stripping down the economy is a major design decision, and I highly do not think ES will change their mind this late in the development stage -- even if there is a scientific poll that reveals the majority of the players would prefer an econ that has more depths.

aoewsag
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 06:32 PM EDT (US)     37 / 67       
I personally think FileShack should have some type of streaming video for AoE 3. First of all, 240 MB is killer memory, and will slow down my computer...I don't care how fast it is.
Elpea
Hal
posted 05-30-05 06:50 PM EDT (US)     38 / 67       

Quote:

Yeah? You'd have to assume it's their opinion by the virtue that they said it. This whole forum is based on opinions, for example, it's your opinion you think it's really dumb that he said that. Nothing factual can be attributed to what people like and don't like, it's sort of a given that it was his opinion.

Then he (or you) should speak for yourselfs and include things such as "IMO" instead of speaking as if you were the entire fanbase. It's rather arrogant to think that your word is more valuable than any other age fan when you speak for everyone.

enemy sighted
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 07:20 PM EDT (US)     39 / 67       
*Finally finds thread friend has been talking about*
*starts downloading*

nevermind its taking to long ill just go to my friends house to see them

[--o--]Enemy Sighted[--o--]

Ruler of the Dry Seas of North Africa and provinces of Spain

Long live The TurksEygptians And Almohonds For Eternity
petachoks
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 08:00 PM EDT (US)     40 / 67       
I'll have to agree with Elpea on this one. You should speak for yourself not the fanbase. I personally liked RON, it was just a different type of gameplay.

One last thing. I really don't understand what you guys are talking about when you say that auto explore noobifies the game. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you explore on your own, you will have an advantage over your enemy, and that is worth the micro. In RON for example exploring on your own was a must in high-level games, only noobs used the auto-explore feature, because they had other things to worry about.

I'll have to agree on the explored trade route path. It just doesn't make sence imo and makes the trade route too vulnurable.

"You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

AB Solutions - Web Design

enemy sighted
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 08:03 PM EDT (US)     41 / 67       
i wouldnt use RON as an example fro anythin because it personally think that game sucks...anyone agree with me

RON was i failure.....my opinion

[--o--]Enemy Sighted[--o--]

Ruler of the Dry Seas of North Africa and provinces of Spain

Long live The TurksEygptians And Almohonds For Eternity
Elpea
Hal
posted 05-30-05 08:07 PM EDT (US)     42 / 67       
Please back up your opinion with something more than: "RoN sucks".

SoggyFrog
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 08:13 PM EDT (US)     43 / 67       
Unit control wasn't really great, making all of those little terrain things useless, and the whole thing was too complicated yet simply generic on all the other levels.

This is where it's at
Flying Purple Hippos in AoE3!
We're your friends
petachoks
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 08:41 PM EDT (US)     44 / 67       
On the contrary I found unit control to be amazing in RON. I found that the hotkey system was the best compared to other RTS games, making it extremely easy to control units.

I would agree with you that RON seemed complicated and generic at first sight, but once you get past the complexity the game was very deep strategy wise.

Now let's not get this topic into a debate about RON, and talk about AOEIII videos.

Personaly I thought the graphics were breathtaking, especially in the cinematics and the home city. Gameplay-wise the game looks very similar to AOM with a home city. Frankly the removal of dropoff points isn't a radical change, and isn't worth the debates that it's causing.

Finually, does anyone think that the unit flight seems a bit unrealistic when they are hit by cannons. I know they said they will tone down the distance that the units will fly, but will they tone down the dominoe effect that the cannon balls are causing. It looks like when the cannon hits one end of a tight formation, around 5 more units into the line start flying. That seems a bit weird... looks like there is an invisible force lifting those units up. Maybe making a better splash damage animation for the impact of the cannon balls would solve the problem?

Oh and the smoke trails have to get toned down. It looks very ugly imo.

"You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

AB Solutions - Web Design

[This message has been edited by petachoks (edited 05-30-2005 @ 08:42 PM).]

Genghis Con
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 09:23 PM EDT (US)     45 / 67       

Quote:

tone down the dominoe effect

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=2,21810,0,10

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 09:36 PM EDT (US)     46 / 67       
Why would you assume someone was speaking for the entire fanbase when they say something? Assuming that is the exact same as assuming it's their opinion.

Everyone knows that it's his opinion by the virtue of the fact that HE said it. Give him a break. Assuming he's speaking for everyone is a bigger assumption than assuming he's speaking his own opinion, so why take the hard road?

Now that I think of it, this is a good reminder:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=boiling_blood

See "Well that's just your opinion".

[This message has been edited by CaptainPoncho (edited 05-30-2005 @ 09:38 PM).]

Elpea
Hal
posted 05-30-05 09:38 PM EDT (US)     47 / 67       
Using Maddox to prove anything is pathetic

CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 10:30 PM EDT (US)     48 / 67       
Nuhhuh
Myth_0f_Ages
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 10:30 PM EDT (US)     49 / 67       
This is my take on these issues.

MICRO AND ECON:
These videos show didly squat (nothing) about the unit diversity, aging up process and generally none of the finer complexities. I think we should all hold our thoughts on the amount we have to micro until we see how it comes out in the wash. I mean come on, a little faith here people, this is ES and they would not give us an age game that as bruce shelly has said (numerous times) isn't "full of iteresting descisions". These guys are the masters, remember. So we lose a few lumber camps etc, whats the big deal if its replaced by something way more interesting, like building trading posts and allying with Indian tribes, building up our home cities etc.

PHYSICS:
ES obviously were showing off their pride an enjoy the 'Physics' at E3 and good on them its a hell of a thing to have accomplished and seperates their game from every other 'run of the mill' RTS out there! Personally I love it and can't wait to watch these sort of effects on my computer screen as I take apart my enemies in real-time. Oh the joy!

GRAPHICS:
The Graphics standard and all of the HDR, bloom etc etc etc effects are also the main point of the E3 demos. And wow how good does the game look! IMO leaves falling off trees is just beautiful, I also noticed in one of the other vids a bear trying to scale a tree and also a boat docked in the home city bobing up and down slighty as the ocean pulls on the ship. These are all fantastic touches, that I don't think any of us will appreciate fully until we are actually playing the game!

jaun_jaunson
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-05 10:58 PM EDT (US)     50 / 67       
in the second video

the ships destruction was awsome!!!

I hope all of the ships destructions are all different and unique like the buildings!!

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames