Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.30 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Unit quality
Bottom
Topic Subject:Unit quality
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:52 AM EDT (US)         
I have made a post before on this topic, but this issue still concerns me. I have seen screenshots like:
http://www.ageofempires3.com/ScreenshotsMedia/ScreenshotDetail.aspx?ID=25
concern me. Look at the human units for example and notice the legs. They are cubic. And the horses are blocky too. I'd like someone to shed some light on this subject: are those low-quality graphics? Or are ALL the units going to look like that?

[This message has been edited by Fili (edited 05-31-2005 @ 11:59 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Indum
Banned
posted 05-31-05 12:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30       
Hope not...but in the heat of battle with guns and all hopefully it will look less like that.
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 05-31-05 12:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30       
To me it doesn't matter, but if it bothers you so much, I believe so, otherwise it'd kill your video card.

Argalius
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 12:22 PM EDT (US)     3 / 30       
Know that these are all 3D models, not 2D. I don't know what you're comparing it with, but if it's AoK, then all the units/buildings might look not so detailed as in AoK, but they are 3D, which means dynamic shadows are possible etc.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 12:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 30       
This certainly doesnt concern me, but maybe you can hope that screenie is off a computer with a bad GFX card

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 12:43 PM EDT (US)     5 / 30       
just look better @ legs. The rectangles arent their legs, but part of their uniform.

look @ the left leg of the units

Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 01:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 30       
I think you don't get the point: see games like Rise and Fall--the units look amazing; here (in THAT screenshot), the units look mediocre at best. I don'r want to say that the game won't be good, in fact, I am a fan actually. But, I simply want to know what to excepect, because if they call it the "best looking strategy game ever", it DOES NOT apply to units. That is MY oppinion. Maybe, ES will make it better.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 30       
i think you dont get my point. those rectangle ARENT their legs. and when it is moving it will look better
MoNo Ager
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:17 PM EDT (US)     8 / 30       
Rise and Fall units look cartoony

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/risefallcivilizationsatwar/screens.html?page=43

[This message has been edited by MoNo Ager (edited 05-31-2005 @ 02:17 PM).]

Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:20 PM EDT (US)     9 / 30       
I get your point; but check B&W2 screenshots too. THEN compare.
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 30       
rise and fall
b&w2

well... they don't really look better then the aoe3 ones, plus they are bigger, so that means they're closer thus more detail can be displayed. Also because you see less of them at the same time.

anyway, especially when I pay attention to the legs, there really isn't that much difference
imo

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
MoNo Ager
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:42 PM EDT (US)     11 / 30       
Black and white 2?

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/016/016987/img_2809001.html

very sexy ... they look far more blocky

And in the ingame shots, the view is too zoomed out to comment fairly.

[This message has been edited by MoNo Ager (edited 05-31-2005 @ 02:44 PM).]

AZTGlorY
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:51 PM EDT (US)     12 / 30       
It's an RTS games, details are made in the textures. I suppose they might add some meshsmooth to the models later in the game creation, but it would be about 4 more polygons each leg, and they would have to re-do the textures of the horse. In other words, most details and colours of the horse would need an update, and those 4 polygons each leg are actully pretty much for an RTS game. With more polygons the whole skeleton on the horse would have to be remade, and if the skeleton gets remade, a lot of fixing in the scripts are needed.

So for the legs to be more smooth, it actully requires a few days of work for that one unit if you want animations & scripting all working.

redchesus
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 03:49 PM EDT (US)     13 / 30       
hopefully it's not noticeable once it's zoomed out (normal gameplay)
CaptainPoncho
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 06:34 PM EDT (US)     14 / 30       

Quote:

because if they call it the "best looking strategy game ever", it DOES NOT apply to units. That is MY oppinion. Maybe, ES will make it better.

I just want to remind you that "best looking" means more then can be explained in any screenshot. Best looking is how units move, react, fall off cliffs after getting blown away with a cannonball, how the animals move, physics work, splashing of water and EVERYTHING. Anyone who has ever seen an AoEIII vid can understand me when I say the game LOOKS awesome. Havok is putting a great amount into the looks, and the world just seems alive with everything going on. The game's looks can't be detailed in any screenshot, you need a video.

[This message has been edited by CaptainPoncho (edited 05-31-2005 @ 06:36 PM).]

deduijk
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 06:47 PM EDT (US)     15 / 30       
I think it is not that bad. It doesn't bother me at all (if i even see).

Maybe the screenshot was taken at a lower resolution (or the picture is saved on a low resolution).

Either way, u have to really look to see it (except with the body of those infantry).

CU,
deduijk

magic_seed
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:18 PM EDT (US)     16 / 30       
we wont notice it when the units are moving
MoNo Ager
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 08:01 AM EDT (US)     17 / 30       
^ yes i agree, and in some of the videos and screenshots i remember thinking to myself i like how they've improved the units this time round...
Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 06-01-05 08:49 AM EDT (US)     18 / 30       
In Empire Earth 1, the graphics when fine zoomed out, zoom into the most smallest zoom level, and even on high setting, the horse riders had no feet, they had sqaure ankles, and thats it, lol

_ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles _
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
arnitald
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 09:29 AM EDT (US)     19 / 30       
Of course they are going to look like that. That's the bad thing about AOE3. They shouldn't have used the AOM engine... It doesn't have good units and good cinematics. I guess that we still can't look at the horizon without huge lag.

You just pointed out the two features that really lack graphical quality in AOE3. I mean, even old games have better more movie-like cinematics and units... And look at Company of Heros (upcoming, Shader 3.0 Havoc 3, they tell they have 2000 animations on a simple infantry guy, and it looks like that, also: different behaviour in different situations, this is what I call next-gen or best-looking) or Ground Control 2 (representing older well-running engines). I mean, they have some kick-ass ego shooter units running there...

I am dissapointed in this.

[This message has been edited by arnitald (edited 06-01-2005 @ 09:34 AM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 10:17 AM EDT (US)     20 / 30       
your problem.

1. it has a modified aom ai, not aom engine
2. aom cynematics were quite good
3. every unit has several hundreds different animations. not 2000, but do you think you will c a unit doing twice the same?

Cataphract887
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 10:55 AM EDT (US)     21 / 30       

Quote:

In Empire Earth 1, the graphics when fine zoomed out, zoom into the most smallest zoom level, and even on high setting, the horse riders had no feet, they had sqaure ankles, and thats it, lol

what i loved was all the (secretly dissapointed) EE fans that had been there for years waiting stick it out for pride and argue that it had good graphics

yes i am evil

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 11:14 AM EDT (US)     22 / 30       

Quote:

They shouldn't have used the AOM engine...

they say they've heavily modified it and almost nothing from the orignal aom engine is left in the engine for aoe3.

Quote:

And look at Company of Heros (upcoming, Shader 3.0 Havoc 3, they tell they have 2000 animations on a simple infantry guy, and it looks like that, also: different behaviour in different situations, this is what I call next-gen or best-looking)

I'm not sure, but as for the screenshot I've seen, CoH is something really different from aoe3, it's not like a normal rts where you are far up in the sky, so the units look better cause they're bigger and you'll probably have less of them on screen at the same time.

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
MoNo Ager
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 01:55 PM EDT (US)     23 / 30       
^ yes since its more zoomed in they need to make the graphics for each unit better...
Salacon
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 02:03 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30       
Plus, according to good ol' GameSpot, CoH doesn't come out until April 13, 2006. I'd say that's quite a bit later than AoE III, and if a game comes out after AoE III; it's probably going to have better graphics and physics.

"My work is not a piece of writing designed to meet the taste of an immediate public, but was done to last for ever." - Thucydides, ancient Greek historian
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
"I threw a knife at a baby once." - Soc the Corrupted
Fili
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 02:13 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30       
Yes you are right, but I feel that ES could have done much better.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames