Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.30 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Unit quality
Bottom
Topic Subject:Unit quality
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:52 AM EDT (US)         
I have made a post before on this topic, but this issue still concerns me. I have seen screenshots like:
http://www.ageofempires3.com/ScreenshotsMedia/ScreenshotDetail.aspx?ID=25
concern me. Look at the human units for example and notice the legs. They are cubic. And the horses are blocky too. I'd like someone to shed some light on this subject: are those low-quality graphics? Or are ALL the units going to look like that?

[This message has been edited by Fili (edited 05-31-2005 @ 11:59 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 02:14 PM EDT (US)     26 / 30       
jup, try to compare apples to apples
it's a bit hard though with rts-games

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
arnitald
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 03:04 PM EDT (US)     27 / 30       
Other than countering with your own opinions, there is not much left to hear here. You don't have to counter at all, since it definitely won't change anyone's opinion.

In my opinion the units don't look the best and the cinematics either. I have seen many games where I have got a better impression.

Quote:

they say they've heavily modified it and almost nothing from the orignal aom engine is left in the engine for aoe3.

Well, I tell you what I see. I see the same AOMish cinematics. (their concept is the same) A cinematic can get a whole lot better. With good cutting, good zooms and fast-pace... If you've liked AOM cinematics (I did too at that time), ok but I wish to see something more innovative and ground-breaking for this game. And that is definitely possible to some extent with that technology.

Overall the game looks awesome, especially the enviroment (ES has been always good at that) but the units are lacking something to meet the standard of the other graphic elements IMO. They just look too much like units, not like people, if you know what I mean. The cavalry is not running over people, the cannons are turning around on the spot when the unit changes its target, without being turned by the people operating it. It's just all the little details that add realism.

[This message has been edited by arnitald (edited 06-01-2005 @ 03:05 PM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 03:13 PM EDT (US)     28 / 30       
How do you want the cynematics? like a video clip?
ES_Bigdog
VIP
posted 06-02-05 00:04 AM EDT (US)     29 / 30       
The unit quality just comes down to tradeoffs between pushing more polys per unit or more units. We want a lot of units.

It's also worth nothing that we also don't do any fake screenshots. Every asset in every Age3 screenshot has been real, ingame stuff. The models you see of the SPC heroes are higher poly because they're shown closer up in IGCs, etc., but they're real running at 30 FPS models, etc. The upshot of this is that you get shots that show off some chunky/in-progress art sometimes.

Anyhow, Age3 takes great screenshots. But, in motion, it looks way better I do really doubt folks will notice the legs of units once they're playing the game.

dave

Rogueagle
Skirmisher
posted 06-02-05 01:22 AM EDT (US)     30 / 30       
I actually didn't notice the graphical cubic-ness of those units, but even if those are final models and such, it doesn't look too bad, imo...several recent RTS games have certainly looke worse. I will be happy as long as gameplay is good - the graphics are just a nice bonus (though in AOE III's case, a very nice bonus).
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames