You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.30 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » will AOE3 require a megalomaniac pc?
Bottom
Topic Subject:will AOE3 require a megalomaniac pc?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Ferdinand Gwonch
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 10:02 PM EDT (US)         
will AOE3 require a very heavy pc hardware configuration or it will be able to run on lighter computers?

My hardware configuration is:

Pentium IV 2GHz
512Mb Ram non-ddr (pc133)
video card Geforce 4 MX420
ADSL connection 256kbps

my pc is about 2,5 years old

will AOE3 function here (even slowly)?

OWN GOAL
AuthorReplies:
petard_rusher
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 10:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30       
sorry, but you deffinitely won't be able to paly AOE3 with that setup, even at the lowest resolutions and graphics quality it will probably run slow.
lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 10:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30       
If Half-Life 2 can run on it (which it can), AoE3 will be able to as well.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 10:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 30       
I think you PC should handle it fine. I don't know if the second poster was joking or not..

If you want old computer, mines..

Pentium III
933 Mhz (thats right, not even quite a gig)
512mb RAM
64mb card
Only 10 gigs left

Couldn't play AOM on it

But I have a new PC picked out, can't wait.. should be about

Pentium IV
3.0 ghz
1gig RAM
128 card
160 gigs of space

Better specs.

dAmAtA_cHiP
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 10:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 30       
that should have been more than enough for aom..something dodgy about that video card maybe?
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 30       
If you can play the game, I do not think it will be any fun, considering that ram is pc133 and that video card is crappy.

I'm with petard.

Try this Far Cry benchmark and see how it looks, and the frames per second you get:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=830

ES_Bigdog
VIP
posted 05-31-05 11:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 30       
Age3 will run on a wide range of HW. It's an Age game after all, so it's got to run on a lot of stuff.

dave

Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 01:49 AM EDT (US)     7 / 30       

Quoted from king of ages:

Pentium III
933 Mhz (thats right, not even quite a gig)
512mb RAM
64mb card
Only 10 gigs left

Couldn't play AOM on it

You can't play it at all because the screen appears black, or the game is too laggy?

It's strange that you couldn't play AoM with your setup, because I could play AoM fine, and this is my comp spec:

Pentium III
800 Mhz
128mb RAM
32mb card <---

TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 02:45 AM EDT (US)     8 / 30       
I played AoM perfectly on an IBM laptop with a pentiumIII 500mhz, 128mb of pc133 ram, 6gb hdd, and a 16mb ati rage mobile intergrated graphics set.

I wasn't getting all the pretty effects but i was playing it, at an ok frame rate to boot

so trust me ES has all the skills to make a game run on a very crappy machine

thank god mine isn't all too crappy

TGE

Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 06-01-05 08:45 AM EDT (US)     9 / 30       
Mines been round for 5years, with the evil, EVIL!!! MIcrosoft ME!! But had it upragded last year to XP, and its quite fast, 32 thinys, cant rember what so, not shure about my graphics card, but if it can play the Sims 2 it will be ok, yes/no?

_ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles _
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
deduijk
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 08:57 AM EDT (US)     10 / 30       
There are so many threads concerning this. Maybe if u searched them you would have seen some answers from ES already.

They said a pc which ran aom good, will probably run aoe3 too.
(but for all the stuff (eyecandy etc) u need a good computer that is a fact).

CU,
deduijk

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 09:34 AM EDT (US)     11 / 30       
I can't see you getting very far with a geforce 4mx i'm afraid.

ES hasn't given out any specs for AOE3 but they have only said that a PC that can run AOM good will run AOE3 as well. However what they term as run AOM 'good' I have no idea. I had a Geforce 4MX way back when AOM was just released and it struggled with 1024x768 unless I put lots of details on low. I can hardly call that good performance.

I believe the minimum graphics card requirement for AOE3 will be a Geforce Mx4000 or a FX5200. These are cheap low-end cards that many low-budget gamers have and to exclude these playing will not be good business, but don't expect any good performance on it.

FPS games have long since ditched geforce 4mx as a minimum (Painkiller, Far Cry, Doom3) but now we are seeing even RTS games ditching the MX (Act of War, EE2, Warhammerawn of War). With AOE3 having graphics that will surpass these by quite a long way, I can't imagine playing those games on an MX, since those three games where barely playable on a geforce 3 ti500 (which is far better than an MX).

Upgrade your graphics card from that mx420, its very bad.

Rookierookie
Banned
posted 06-01-05 09:41 AM EDT (US)     12 / 30       
The MX4000 is virtually the same as the previous GF4 MX, and the GF 5200 isn't very much faster than the Ti500.

I'd say you should take a Geforce 4 Ti 4200/Geforce 5700LE/Geforce 6200 TC/Radeon 9550/Radeon 9600SE/Radeon X300SE as the starting point, and Geforce 5700/6200/Radeon 9600 Pro/X600 Pro if you want a decent graphics settings and still get decent frame rate.

By the way, a question for ES (which I might make a thread for if there isn't an answer) - what were the specs of the computers on which you took the screenshots, and what were the settings at (resolution, high/medium/low graphics, etc.)?

Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 11:38 AM EDT (US)     13 / 30       

Quote:

resolution, high/medium/low graphics

probably high graphics, cause who wants to show their game looking the worst possible and as for the resolution, you can see from the screenshots, it's 1600x1200

though it doesn't say that much about how good it was running, cause it might just have had bad frame rate (you can't tell from a screenshot)

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 12:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 30       
dont worry ferdinand itll run on that computer fine, its just it wont run as well as it would on more modern comps.

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 12:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 30       

Quote:

You can't play it at all because the screen appears black, or the game is too laggy?

It's strange that you couldn't play AoM with your setup, because I could play AoM fine, and this is my comp spec:

Pentium III
800 Mhz
128mb RAM
32mb card <---

Actually, to be honest those are my current specs. The older specs I had, when I tried AOM for the first time (which I forgot to mention) was..

Pentium III
933mhz
128RAM
32mb card

So actually pretty close to yours, but I could not play AOM. Odd, because I thought I made min req. but I tried the 1st campaign, and I tried a single player game.. the game would run just fine until I reached a battle- Then I'd lag out. I mean, everything would run in clips and I can't control anything.

The said thing was, the campaign battle involved only a few of my guys protecting against some sea serpent things...

I never tried it with the new specs I upgraded too because I moved on. Now I'm having freezing troubles with my current PC.

lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 12:56 PM EDT (US)     16 / 30       

Quote:

Pentium IV 2GHz
512Mb Ram non-ddr (pc133)
video card Geforce 4 MX420
ADSL connection 256kbps

My computer is pretty much identical to that, and I was able to run AoM at 1024 x 768 with high details and everything. So, we should be able to run AoE3.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 12:59 PM EDT (US)     17 / 30       
Gosh I can't wait until ES releases the system requirements, I am sick of hearing about "will this run aoe3?"

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
AnC_Ivo17
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 02:45 PM EDT (US)     18 / 30       
Actually there r other posts on that. But i belive the min specs for aoe3 will be:
Celeron D 2400 (or amd equivalent)
512mb 333MHz ram
128mb, 128 bit Video agp or pci-e (9800pro or 5900zt)
i am planning to get a much much faster PC though.

In hoc signo vinces!
- Spiritum Sancti
Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 06-01-05 03:46 PM EDT (US)     19 / 30       
If i can run the Sims 2 on low graphics setting, how will AoE3 fair on my humble pc?

_ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles _
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 03:55 PM EDT (US)     20 / 30       
@Scud, you better hope there are a lot of fan made movies of tourney games

TGE

Intrepid
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 04:54 PM EDT (US)     21 / 30       
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 07:57 PM EDT (US)     22 / 30       

Quote:

128mb, 128 bit Video agp or pci-e (9800pro or 5900zt)
i am planning to get a much much faster PC though.

A 9800pro as a minimum requirement! A 9800pro is still a very decent card and it was an extremely high end card just 2 years ago. Even now its still a decent mid-range card. Not even FPS games have a 9800pro as a minimum requirement.

A 9800pro could be the recommended system. At the end of the day I hope as many people as possible can get to play AOE3 on as crappy as PC as possible because that will mean more players on line and a bigger community.

So even though I do have a decent PC I sincerely hope those with lesser PC can enjoy the game at lower settings and still be able to play.

petard_rusher
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 08:11 PM EDT (US)     23 / 30       
while I think ES is working hard to make this game playable to as many as possible you have to realise that they can only do so a certain amount. The computer of the origional poster has been a POS for at least 3 or 4 years now, there just isnt a prayer that ES will be able to get the game to run on that computer.
Genghis Con
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 08:21 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30       
I've since upgraded my comp (this year!!!) but was:
Pentium II 333 MHz
64 MB memory
wouldn't tell me gfx anywhere ...
7.8 GB memory
When I tried to run Warcraft 3 (BAD IDEA) my comp committed suicide (erased all files [including windows 98], wouldn't start for a month stubborn comp )

And how does my until-now Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 stack up to GeForce (4xxx etc.)? I can't find numbers anywhere!
Wheee now i've gone into debt to get a 6800GT

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-05 08:38 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30       
Yea intergreated video cards suck, sound cards are fine if your just gaming.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames