You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.130 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » How to get a PC that will run AOE 3 on Ultra for under $2000.
Bottom
Topic Subject:How to get a PC that will run AOE 3 on Ultra for under $2000.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Zeusmeister
Skirmisher
posted 06-27-05 05:49 PM EDT (US)         
I actially don't know what to buy. I just wrote this to get suggestions. Should I build my own PC or buy from someone? (alienware maybe) Should I get a 7800 GTX or something cheaper?

Solution:

Buy Dimension 8400 from Dell.
Choose the following options:
3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 Proccesor
1 Gigabyte of DDR 3 533 Mhz Memory
XP professional operating system
SELECT THE CHEAPEST GRAPHICS CARD ON THE LIST AND SELECT INTEGRATED AUDIO

This Dell system should be less than $1000.
(if you select no monitor)

Then, buy a GeForce 7800 GTX graphics card for $600
(This is the fastest graphics card in the world right now, and it's well worth the money)

Then, if you really want an ULTRA POWERFUL machine, buy 2 more 512 Mb sticks of memory for under $175 (only 2 slots come filled from Dell)

You will then have a computer with the following:
3.0 Ghz Pentium 4
2 Gigabytes of 533 Mhz memory
GeForce 7800 GTX graphics card

This system will cost under $1750 and will be more than fast enough to play AOE 3 on ultra.

PLEASE DON'T MOVE THIS TOPIC TO ANOTHER FORUM, BECAUSE NOBODY L00KS THERE

[This message has been edited by Zeusmeister (edited 06-28-2005 @ 01:15 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 03:13 AM EDT (US)     76 / 130       
@AOE_lord, you only changed RAM?

1. almost noi warrenty
2. No recovery kit
3. graphics sucks, especially when you look @ proc. an athlod 64 3200+, 2 GB ram, then your graphic crad will be very soon the bottleneck
4. no dvd burner
5. i hope you buy also anti-virus software
6. you never should buy an alienware comp of you dont have a high budget (1800+).

AOE_Lord
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 07:21 AM EDT (US)     77 / 130       

Quoted from schildpad:

@AOE_lord, you only changed RAM?
1. almost noi warrenty

That's why you get a longer warrenty.

Quoted from schildpad:

2. No recovery kit

That's why you get a recovery kit.

Quoted from schildpad:

3. graphics sucks, especially when you look @ proc. an athlod 64 3200+, 2 GB ram, then your graphic crad will be very soon the bottleneck

Quoted from Firefox:

Ideal CPUs:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
AMD Sempron 3100+
AMD Athlon 64 (any model)
AMD Opteron?

NOTICE AMD ATHLON 64 (ANY MODEL) Hmm...What does that tell you?

About the RAM...
So should I just lower it down to 1 GB of RAM?

About the Graphics Card
Yes, I realized that the graphic card was low-end. I planned on buying a Radeon X800XL to replace it. I've already checked the required specs, and it says this computer can run it. Should I just buy the Integratted Graphics Card available and then disable it, and install the Radeon X800XL? Or should I continue with the Radeon 9550, and then discard it for the X800XL?

Quoted from schildpad:

4. no dvd burner

Why do I need a DVD Burner? I wouldn't use it. So, there's no point in buying it...

Quoted from schildpad:

5. i hope you buy also anti-virus software

I planned to.

Quoted from schildpad:

6. you never should buy an alienware comp of you dont have a high budget (1800+).

Oh, I could easily afford a computer 1800+, but I decided not to. I wanted a computer for a lower price that I might be able to upgrade later on.

Quoted from Alienware Website:

ATI RADEON™ 9550SE 128MB w/Digital and S-Video Out

Quoted from Duan Xuan:

Sorry, I don't want to be a wet blanket, I know you're excited about getting a new PC. However, that graphics card ruins everything. 2GB is overkill for almost all systems, and is only necessary if you do heavy video editting. The graphics card wasted the extra cash you paid for the memory upgrade.

I planned on buying a Radeon X800XL for my video card. I've already checked everything that's required, and I've got it all.

The RAM
So, should I just get 1GB unless I planned on video editting?

The Processor
And you found nothing wrong with my processor, right?

[This message has been edited by AOE_Lord (edited 07-01-2005 @ 07:24 AM).]

Genghis Con
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 10:17 AM EDT (US)     78 / 130       

Quoted from schildpad:

Quoted from firefox:

Ideal CPUs:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
AMD Sempron 3100+
AMD Athlon 64 (any model)
AMD Opteron?

Quoted from AOE_Lord:

NOTICE AMD ATHLON 64 (ANY MODEL) Hmm...What does that tell you?

It tells me that the processor will be great but the graphics card will stop games from running really well on your comp (which is exactly what schildpad said...)

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Duan Xuan
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 11:53 AM EDT (US)     79 / 130       
Yeah, just go down to 1GB for your memory. 2GB is only for showing off. I'll bet that half of the forumers in AoE3H have just 512MB. Show of hands please.

*raises hand*

AFAIK, the Radeon 9550SE doesn't have a PCIe version?... And your mobo has only an external AGP (not quite sure what that is either) with no PCIe port. Are you really intending to get the AGP version of the X800?

Is it possible to look at the other options with better motherboards, then configure them again?

dynamort
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 02:51 PM EDT (US)     80 / 130       
Like Duan Xuan said, you will have to get an AGP 8x X800XL or it won't work. Most X800XL's are PCIe, which is a different type of port. Your motherboard doesn't have PCIe, so you have to make sure you get an AGP 8x X800XL. Sorry if I repeat myself, but I don't want you to waste a few hundred dollars. Did you actually buy the computer yet? If you didn't, you might want to get one with PCIe, as newer video cards probably won't have AGP versions.
AOE_Lord
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 08:24 PM EDT (US)     81 / 130       
Well, I suppose I could always order another PC.

Does anyone recommend an Alienware PC that is about the same price?

TOAO_VTEC
Skirmisher
posted 07-01-05 08:40 PM EDT (US)     82 / 130       
Battlefield 2 uses more than a gig of memory
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 07-01-05 08:50 PM EDT (US)     83 / 130       
Not a big performance hit though... from what I hear.

Zeusmeister
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 01:11 AM EDT (US)     84 / 130       
I've decided to build my own PC after reading all of the replys.

But I'm not totally sure which parts to buy yet.

I am certain that I will get a BFG OC GeForce 6800 GT, However.

O1_Mike_1O
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 01:31 AM EDT (US)     85 / 130       
Get any nForce 4 motherboard (MSI is good, you can get the cheapest one)

Then get an AMD 64 3500+ or better

I strongly advise looking at an ATI X800 XL card. It's nearly identical in performance to the 6800 GT but costs almost 80 dollars less.
Do some research people, the 6800 GT is overpriced.

Get an Antec case - this is very very important. DO NOT buy a cheap power supply. You can buy any case you want but then you have to shop around for a good power supply, and that can be hard if you don't know (You need over 20 amps on the +12V line). But if you get an Antec case, they always put very good power supplies ,and it;s a good quality case in general.

Get at least 1 gig of ram. Cheap ram is OK! Just make sure it's 400 MHz, and buy a brand name. Kingston or Corsair for example. There is no need to get a 533 MHz ram for an AMD proccessor. You will get 0 improvement. (If you go intel, then it's another thing).

And thats it, you got yourself a good computer for under 1000.

And build yourself, or get your nerdy friend to build it for you for 50 bucks. This will be cheaper than Alienware. Dell is good only for cheap comps, don't get gaming comps from Dell. And definitely don't buy a $600 graphics card. It can be 20% better than a $300 card, but it costs 100% more.

Edit: Look at this link - the chart at the bottom. Is the differense really worth the money? The X800 XL costs $280, the 6800 GT costs $350.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15145-1370-9-9-x
It's up to you...

Here is a good price vs performance chart:

Only thing is that the 6800GT is a bit cheaper now.

[This message has been edited by O1_Mike_1O (edited 07-02-2005 @ 01:51 AM).]

Zeusmeister
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 02:07 AM EDT (US)     86 / 130       
The lowest price for 6800 GT with PCI-express is $410
Zeusmeister
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 02:12 AM EDT (US)     87 / 130       
The AOE 3 people keep talking about the GeForce 6 Series, but they haven't mentioned ATI. I think that the benchmark ratio will be closer to Doom 3's.
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 07-02-05 05:42 AM EDT (US)     88 / 130       

Quote:

There is no need to get a 533 MHz ram for an AMD proccessor. You will get 0 improvement. (If you go intel, then it's another thing).

Actually, DDR600 memory was made for Athlon 64s, since the A64s can change their clock multiplier, so it will be possible to improve the bandwidth without having to overclock the CPU.
Lenardius VII
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 11:50 AM EDT (US)     89 / 130       
If your an Intel fan and want 64 bit processing

get an Intel CPU w/HT Extreme edition or anything above the 600 series.

or you could go with AMD 3500+ and oc it(as everyone says its for gaming which i don't think you'll notice any difference, if there is a difference)

i don't like ATI, Nvidia GF 6800 Ultra is the way

plus later on. when you have more money, get another one and you've got SLI.

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 11:59 AM EDT (US)     90 / 130       
plus later on when you have got more money you get crossfire.
"i dont like it" isnt very usefull
x860xt PE is better then 6800 ultra

[This message has been edited by schildpad (edited 07-02-2005 @ 11:59 AM).]

Zeusmeister
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 01:00 PM EDT (US)     91 / 130       
I think I'm going to buy 2 GB of Corsair memory, an Athlon 64 3700+, and a BFG OC PCI express GeForce 6800 GT

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1835451/search=corsair+xms

Is this an OK brand of memory? I'm not sure if it matters.

And, do you think that buying these parts is a good idea?

Red Storm
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 01:09 PM EDT (US)     92 / 130       

Quote:

The lowest price for 6800 GT with PCI-express is $410

$345, courtesy of Newegg (you can also get one for $299 after a $50 mail in rebate).

Zeusmeister
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 01:18 PM EDT (US)     93 / 130       
I was going to buy the overclocked BFG. The lowest price for that is $410
Red Storm
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 01:22 PM EDT (US)     94 / 130       
It's only $4 more, unless you absolutely must have 2 DVI ports (which is the $410 one).

[This message has been edited by Red Storm (edited 07-02-2005 @ 02:14 PM).]

AnC_Ivo17
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 05:03 PM EDT (US)     95 / 130       
Actually AMD 3500+ is much better than Intel 3.2ghz which have almost the same price.
And even if u compare equal frequency CPUs amd beats intel in all games, but in some office ap[plications intel is better. But have in mind that only amd supports sli for now. I recommend 6800ultra. If u go to anandtech.com and check the Video tab and the 7800gtx article, u will c that 2x6800ultra sli is equal or even worse in performance than single 7800gtx. So buy a 6800ultra or 6600gt if u plan to upgrade to 7800gtx soon.

In hoc signo vinces!
- Spiritum Sancti
RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 05:22 PM EDT (US)     96 / 130       
woahh

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 07-02-05 08:43 PM EDT (US)     97 / 130       

Quote:

And even if u compare equal frequency CPUs amd beats intel in all games

Geez, obviously. The AMD 2.8GHz CPU is its flagship, while the Intel 2.8GHz CPU is a low mid-range CPU.
Duan Xuan
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-05 10:27 PM EDT (US)     98 / 130       
Schildpad has a point about ATI Crossfire. nVidia usually introduces a new product first, but when ATI catches up later, the latter gives you better bang for your bucks. No reason to dislike either one, actually. I am personally neutral even though I'm an ATI user. SLI is probably a waste of money now. I expect Crossfire to yield more ideal performances.

Zeusmeister, Corsair is probably the king of memory. You can go ahead with the 2GB of memory if you like and have the cash to burn, but I don't see a need for so much memory now. 1GB is sufficient for almost all games available right now. Upgrade later when memory is cheaper and when you have the real need for more.

And get a really good PSU if you want the GF6800GT. They use electricity the way a camel drinks water.

AOE_Lord
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 08:41 AM EDT (US)     99 / 130       
I've decided to build my own computer instead of buying one from Alienware. The specs for my new computer are...

Processor - Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.8GHz

Video Card - Radeon X800XL graphics card

DVD/CD-ROM - Dynex Internal DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive

Memory - Corsair - XMS ProSeries 2-Pack 1.0GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory

Hard Drive - Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250.0GB Internal Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Motherboard - Abit ATX Motherboard 800/533MHz (Socket 775)

Case - Dynex ATX Mid-Tower Case - Black (Site)

Sound Card - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Sound Card

Networking - Linksys EtherFast Desktop 10/100 PCI Network Card

Speaker System - Creative Labs Inspire 7.1 Surround Sound Speaker System (8-Piece)

Mouse - Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical

Keyboard - Dynex Multimedia Keyboard

Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - Windows

Or for those who only understand what is written on a game box...

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Operating System: Windows® XP
Processor: Pentium® 4 2.8Ghz
Hard Disk Space: 250GB
CD-ROM Drive: 16x DVD-ROM; 52x CD-ROM
Video: 256MB ATI Radeon X800XL
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Sound Card

dynamort
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-05 10:43 AM EDT (US)     100 / 130       
I would buy an AMD processer if you are planning to play games on that computer. If you want to stick with Intel, at least get a slightly faster processer (3.2 Ghz). Make sure your motherboard has PCI-express x16 so you can upgrade your video card in the future. Your moterboard might have integrated network adapters, so you might not need the ethernet card. It also probably has integrated sound, so unless you are an audiophile, you won't need the sound card. I would also get a name brand power supply. Thermaltake, OCZ, and a few others are good brands. The motherboard is one of the most important parts, so make sure you are getting a good one. ABIT is a good brand.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames