You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.53 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » How will it be to Third World players (system req.)?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How will it be to Third World players (system req.)?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Ferdinand Gwonch
Skirmisher
posted 06-28-05 07:45 PM EDT (US)         
since brazilian and other players from Third World that are able to invest lots of money every year to upgrade their computers are a very minority, how it'll be for us to be able to play AOE3?
How can we from poor nations deal with that?

OWN GOAL
AuthorReplies:
Rec_room
Skirmisher
posted 06-28-05 08:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 53       
Methinks the answer is obviouse enough. ES has allready told us they are trying to get it to work on as many systems as possible (then reiterated on these forums again and again and again and again....). If that is still not enought then you deal with it the same way you deal with other high end games. If you can't run it you don't play it, simple as that.
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 06-28-05 09:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 53       
*Looks at graphics*

*Thinks it is worth it*

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Lysimachus
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-28-05 10:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 53       
    The year is 2005. The standard average PC is on the higher-end. People in this day and age are demanding state-of-the-art technology, with incredible visuals.

Either take advantage of the new graphics technology by purchasing a PC that can run it, or forget about it.

I too don't have the necessary funds. But although my system is between the average to high-end, I'm still going to find a way to upgrade, no matter what. When there is a will, there is a way. 'nough said.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 06-28-2005 @ 10:47 PM).]

Elpea
    Hal
    (id: lp_usa)
    posted 06-28-05 11:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 53       

Quote:

The standard average PC is on the higher-end

Not in Brazil.

king of ages
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-28-05 11:47 PM EDT (US)     5 / 53       
    Some of the 3rd world countries are using computers my school has been using (OLD). I wish you luck on it, try a downloadable demo before you buy the game..

Did you try AOM? Did it work fine? If you list some games that you're able to play finely, maybe we can give you an idea if you can support it..?

schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 03:12 AM EDT (US)     6 / 53       
    just play aom or aok
    Jazzman
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 03:18 AM EDT (US)     7 / 53       
    And what about the 80% of the world that has never used a computer before? Surely ES is being evil, building a game that deliberately exclude such a huge percentage of the population. They should make their games accessible to everyone.

War doesn't decide who's right. It only decides who's left.
    wglmb2
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 04:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 53       

Quote:

They should make their games accessible to everyone.

Are you saying the game should involve scratching marks into mud?

I get fed up of people expecting everything to please everyone. "Everyone's equal". "We should have the same opportunities". The fact is--as much as the world should be like this--we don't. Sometimes people have a disadvantage, and in this case there's little we can do except ask ES to throw away their computers and make games everyone can play. I don't think many would prefer that.

schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 05:08 AM EDT (US)     9 / 53       
    i think he is being sarcastic.

btw i didnt know brasil is third world

AoMPlayer000
    Banned
    posted 06-29-05 08:26 AM EDT (US)     10 / 53       

Quote:

Quote:

The standard average PC is on the higher-end

Not in Brazil.

Not anywhere else, either.

BTW, Brazil isn't 3rd world but 2nd.

Arcanjo TM
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 08:37 AM EDT (US)     11 / 53       
    Are you ranking Brazil?

I live here, and you can believe me... we're 3rd!

"And my rage shall be enkindled, and I will strike you with the sword, and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless." Ex.: 22:24
    Jazzman
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 08:56 AM EDT (US)     12 / 53       
    ok... just for clarification...

1st World - Actually refers primarily to a system of government, not wealth. First World countries are based on a democratic system of government, and specifically those with enough money to provide a relatively luxurious standard of living for their populace.

2nd world - Refers to Communist countries. The term is pretty much never used anymore, because the communist ideology has been pretty much abandoned by every major country.

3rd world - Initially referred to those countries that were neither for or against communism. refers now to 'developing' countries.

Brazil (Brasil)is definitely not classed exclusively as 3rd world. According to figures on the standard of living, Brazil comes in at about position 72 - which is still well on the top half of the chart. Sure there are people there living in 3rd world conditions, but there are people in the US who live in 3rd world conditions too.

War doesn't decide who's right. It only decides who's left.
    psytox
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 10:02 AM EDT (US)     13 / 53       
    im in the 3rd world, malaysia.. its not that bad, not as bad as what Ferdinand Gwonch says..
    GaryPayton
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 10:11 AM EDT (US)     14 / 53       
    Become a politician.

Mensalao rox

AoMPlayer000
    Banned
    posted 06-29-05 10:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 53       
    Jazzman, that 'World Classification' is as far as I can tell is wrong. Those classification doesn't have to do with communism nor democracy but with wealth and living standards. Of course, as a result of communist systems some countries have impoverished, like the former Eastern Block.

Arcanjo TM: Well, Brazil is not a real 3rd World country (those are mainly in Central Africa) but rather on the edge, and such countries are called 2nd World countries.

1st World = Rich industry nations, like European countries, the US, Japan etc.
    2nd World = In between 3rd and 1st World countries, about to develop further, like Chili, Mexico etc.
    3rd World = The poorest countries, like Central Africa, South-East Asia etc.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-29-2005 @ 10:15 AM).]

Spacemonk
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 10:32 AM EDT (US)     16 / 53       
    It's not like AoE3 is the only game that has amazing graphics...
    If you live in a 3rd world country you should be happy to have a decent home, a job and enough food to stay healthy. I know it's not fair, but that's just the way it is. Some people who get lucky and think of something smart, for examle John de Mol then you can earn a shitload of money. Now if someone else got less lucky, like my aunt who almost didn't finish middle school and never got started to do a following study. Then you'll have hard time getting enough money to pay your bills.
    Now Johny can easily buy thousands of new supercomputer while my aunt is happy she managed to buy a cheap one 5 years ago...

I mean come on... it's not like you are forced to use all the nice effects. You're just getting the possibility to do so. I can't run Doom3 full graphics, I've to run it on low res and low graphics, yet I'm not complaining cause the game is still fun to play. If I would want all to see the game in full glory I'll need to buy the best of the best, but I can also just play the game with lower graphics.

Times are changing, if ES would make a crappy looking game, like with the best graphics settings it would have AoM quality. Then not a lot of people will buy it cause it looks like shit. They'd prefer to buy some other rts wich has about the same level of gameplay but has half life 2 graphics.

Summary:
    You don't need to turn on all the effects and high graphics settings, you can also play it at a low graphics level. And of course you won't be able to play it on a pc that's like 10 years old. All those people who don't have the money to buy a new pc about every 3/4 years just don't have enough money to play pc games. Maybe they should do other things or buy a console.

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."

[This message has been edited by Spacemonk (edited 06-29-2005 @ 10:33 AM).]

Zizou10
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 01:15 PM EDT (US)     17 / 53       

Quote:

1st World - Actually refers primarily to a system of government, not wealth. First World countries are based on a democratic system of government, and specifically those with enough money to provide a relatively luxurious standard of living for their populace.

2nd world - Refers to Communist countries. The term is pretty much never used anymore, because the communist ideology has been pretty much abandoned by every major country.

3rd world - Initially referred to those countries that were neither for or against communism. refers now to 'developing' countries.

True

Quote:

1st World = Rich industry nations, like European countries, the US, Japan etc.
    2nd World = In between 3rd and 1st World countries, about to develop further, like Chili, Mexico etc.
    3rd World = The poorest countries, like Central Africa, South-East Asia etc.

False

Elpea
    Hal
    posted 06-29-05 01:47 PM EDT (US)     18 / 53       
    LOL, 2nd World Countries are communist countries such as China .

Brazil has the 8th most powerful economy in the world last time I checked. But corruption, and the fact that there's a few with a lot of money and a lot with no money (unequal distribution) kills it.

Anyway, that's beside the point. I strongly believe Age3 will run on plenty of 3rd world computers, on ultra lowest or whatever. BUT, people in these countries love Age3, but aren't desperate for it, so they can wait a few months when their computers will probably be capable of playing the game at medium settings or so.

AoMPlayer000
    Banned
    posted 06-29-05 02:16 PM EDT (US)     19 / 53       
    Well, as I see somebody else confirmed the categories I denied, I think these must be elder political categories. In the economic world I'm pretty sure you use 'my' list.
    Elpea
    Hal
    posted 06-29-05 02:20 PM EDT (US)     20 / 53       
    Those were MADE to the political use, so you make the jump from third to first depending on your economy, and whatever to second/first depending on your political status.

I know it seems weird to call a country third world when it appears not, but it's the way it is

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 06-29-2005 @ 02:20 PM).]

AoMPlayer000
    Banned
    posted 06-29-05 02:23 PM EDT (US)     21 / 53       
    Just looked it up, and the Eastern Block = 2nd world thing etc. indeed seems to be right, sorry...

Hm... I'm still quite sure as the Eastern Block doesn't exist any more in today's economical terms these categories are used according to 'my' list now, though...

Edit: Or I extremely mixed up things. Might also be.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-29-2005 @ 02:24 PM).]

Alonzo
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 05:48 PM EDT (US)     22 / 53       
    Jazzman's true.
    The 1st world is democracy, the 2nd world is communist, the 3rd world is the nations for or against anything but now stands for developing countries.
    There are also a 4th and a 5th world (rarely used).
    The 4th world is the nations that are the poorest of all nations. The 5th world is the nations that are the poorest of the 4th and aren't even developing.

Anyone against this?

[This message has been edited by Alonzo (edited 06-29-2005 @ 05:49 PM).]

Spacemonk
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 06:30 PM EDT (US)     23 / 53       
    And the 6th world nations are not only not developing but even getting worse

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
    rippy
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 07:12 PM EDT (US)     24 / 53       
    And the 7th world countries are so bad, even 1st world mosquitoes have a higher life expectancy O_o

Moving on, the stuff about equality is just.. weird. If that logic was followed, noone would have televisions because not everyone has access to them. Noone would have clothing because not everyone has access to it. etc etc etc..

"Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and you warm him for the rest of his life." -Chinese proverb

"If MacGyver and Jack Bauer were in a fight, Chuck Norris would win."

Alonzo
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-29-05 07:21 PM EDT (US)     25 / 53       
    And the 8th world is so poor they don't have air to breathe
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames