You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.347 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Civilizations-Read this before posting about a civ
Bottom
Topic Subject:Civilizations-Read this before posting about a civ
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12 13 14  Next Page »
GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 01-08-05 01:59 PM EDT (US)         
Lately there have been many, many, many threads about the same civilization or idea or speculation being posted 2 or 3 times. This is basically where you look to see if that has been talked about extensively yet, and, for god sakes, to stop posting threads about it. This is not a FAQ, but an information bank, if you will, about what has been posted before.

Before you post your thread, consider these:

FIRST STEP: Is it useful?
Will the post you make contribute to the AoE3 discussions? Do not post things that will make no contribution, such as trying to talk about things that should be in Community Forum or GD or any other forum.

SECOND STEP: Is it obvious?
If you say something like "OMG2 TH3RE ARE GUN5 1N 7H1S GAM3!!! ANY1 3LS3 N0TIC3!!?!11" you WILL get flamed. Everyone has seen the screenshots, only point out new ideas or intricacies.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING CONFIRMED, OR IT WILL BE THE DEATH OF YOU!!!

THIRD STEP: Is it in here?
Several subjects have been talked about. I have included some of the most talked about-and most repeated-here. If it is in this list, post in one of the threads. Don't make a new one.

Japan
japanese?
Italians and Japanese possibly civs

The evidence most used by Japanese supporters is this concept art of a Samurai. However, it is only concept art, so not very strong evidence.

EDIT: Confirmed as not a playable civ. May have Ronin as mercenary units.

Netherlands
The Dutch
The Dutch also very possible to be included

The evidence most used by Dutch supporters is this screenshot which includes the Dutch flag. It is a screenshot so they are very probable.

EDIT: Confirmed as a playable civ.

Germany/Holy Roman Empire
What is with Germany/Deutschland?

The evidence most used by German supporters are several screenshots, such as this one, with the German flag, which matches this flag

Italy/Venice
Italians and Japanese possible AoE3 civs

The evidence most used by Italian supporters is this concept art of an Venetian Stradiot. However, it is only concept art and not very strong evidence.

EDIT: Confirmed as not a playable civ. Possible in expansion, may be in game at some point.

Portugal
Portuguese in Age of Empires III

The evidence most used by Portuguese supporters is concept art with this flag, which matches this flag. However, its is only concept art and not very strong evidence.

America
Where are the Americans?

America (USA) has been confirmed as not a playable civ in multiplayer/skirmish games, but may be a playable civilization in the campaign.

Natives
These should answer any question you have on natives.

You may be able to play with a Native civ in the campaign, as there have been reports of helping the Aztecs fight the Spanish, etc.

Trade

These should answer any question you have on trading

The Home City Concept

These or these should answer any question you have on the home city.[/url]

Trains
Trains?
Railway in AoD
locomotives

There are trains in this screenshot. There have been debates over whether they're in RM or just campaign, and what their purpose is.

EDIT: Trains have been confirmed as 4th level and later trade units.

Naval Warfare
boats/ships
What kinds of battleships?
Naval Warfare
An Innovative Design for large Naval units that works for Ensemble's AoE3

We have seen big ships-and small ones-mainly what we know is from this screenshot. We have also seen cnoes here, but it is not known if they are in the game, eye candy, or a campaign object.

England, France, Spain, Netherlands, Russia, Ottomans, Portugal, Germany
These are the civilizations that are confirmed so far.

FOURTH STEP: Search is STILL your friend!
Just like in every forum here, search is very important. Before the pickup, it was slightly less important, but with the number of posts coming in now it is essential. Search keywords that could be in the same vein as your subject. For example, if you will post on slavery, search "Slavery" "Slaves" etc.

FIFTH STEP: Posting your topic
Please, try to speak intelligibly. Make sure you know what you're talking about, and check your information. Make sure OTHER people know what you're talking about, as well.

So please people, don't spam the forum with repetitive threads.

[This message has been edited by GoForGoldenJarls (edited 06-16-2005 @ 08:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 08:59 PM EDT (US)     276 / 347       

Quote:

No, America would not work as a civ. The Home City is supposed to be your far away base on the other side of the Atlantic that sends you reinforcements and supplies. It can't be attacked, and so forth. America's Home City would be in the Americas, and so it wouldn't make any sense that it can't fall under attack.

Aside from all of this, ES has said time and again that there are 8 EUROPEAN civs that you play as (not counting the campaign which will have custom civs), and that alone is proof enough that there won't be an American civ in AoE3.

The Americas are huge, 95% of the colonizable territory wouldn't be able to attack the HC and it's a game where the rules can be made by those who develop it. If they wanted to do it thay can do it, the HC certainly wouldn't stop them. Why do people keep trotting out the 8 European civs? Everybody knows that already. I've said three things, that America deserves a civ in the game, that the HC isn't a good reason for excluding them and that if they are going to have them as a unique civ in the campaign they should finish it so we can have a ninth civ in multiplayer. Never said or thought that America would be in the game as one of the eight civs.

THoR_B12oNZe
Skirmisher
posted 04-15-05 02:24 AM EDT (US)     277 / 347       
Thats the thing, they are not really a unique civ in the campaign. They are based on the british, done with a civ editor. None of the other countries in are based on another, its quite possible the american campaign civs buildings and units are in the same style as the british and then it would be a lot of extra work to include them as a ninth civ.

If they were going to include them they would not have based them on the British, but made them totally unique! If America was the ninth civ then it would mean that ES have regularly lied and are probably trying to get extra money from people in America buying the game when as Kor has said, they have already confirmed that they are only in the campaign!

[This message has been edited by THoR_B12oNZe (edited 04-15-2005 @ 02:25 AM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 04-15-05 03:50 AM EDT (US)     278 / 347       
and then we should also include many more civs
lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 04-15-05 03:57 AM EDT (US)     279 / 347       
They also said that the American civ in the campaign already has unique features, which places it ahead of any civ that would start fron scratch. It also wouldn't make much sense if they didn't closely resemble Britain given US history. All early game units would likely be existing European units making the civ easier to build.
THoR_B12oNZe
Skirmisher
posted 04-15-05 05:19 AM EDT (US)     280 / 347       
Ok, I just think that it's proven as much as possible without playing the final copy of the game that America are not in. If ES confirming their not in doesn't convince you then nothing I say is going to
lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 04-15-05 04:05 PM EDT (US)     281 / 347       
Convince me of what? They are in the game and they aren't in the game. My point is that if you're going to have a civ in the campaign with unique features, they should have it in multiplayer as well. I'm not arguing that it will happen or that ES will change their mind, just that it should happen.

For a change of pace, it seems that every flag seen in initial screenshots has resulted in a playable civ despite ES stating that they shouldn't be taken seriously. Does this make Russia 100% confirmed in your mind or is the flag a red herring?

Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 04-15-05 07:02 PM EDT (US)     282 / 347       
If we're in the subject of what civs deserve to be in the game, there's heaps of them besides the US, what about the Belgians, Italians, Danes, Mexicans, Brazilians, Canadians, heck, Austro-Hungarians and Ottomans, because since the Germans are in, any European power deserves to as well!

[This message has been edited by Barberousse (edited 04-15-2005 @ 07:02 PM).]

lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 04-16-05 00:22 AM EDT (US)     283 / 347       
Not in a game about the colonization of the Americas they don't. Mexico has a case as well, they'd be an excellent choice.
THoR_B12oNZe
Skirmisher
posted 04-16-05 05:33 AM EDT (US)     284 / 347       
Oh, I understand what your saying better now

I don't think it should happen as it would take the shine off the game, 8 totally different civs which all have been playtested thousands of times, checked for balance issues etc and then america which is similar to the british and looks the same as them could be strange.

The argument 'well they've created it already so why not put them online' is hard to argue against but I don't think they should just because they've done it, as it won't add to the game very much and could cause problems.

I would say that Russia are in, only you can't be totally sure with ES.

Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 04-18-05 05:42 PM EDT (US)     285 / 347       
In his last interview Greg Street said there would be 3 new civilizations exclusive to the campaign. One is the US. What do you think the 2 others are? I say the Mexicans and South Americans.
BloTo
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 09:51 AM EDT (US)     286 / 347       
i think they should include pirates in the expansion pack as a playable civ. including carribian maps. the pirats could gather resorces by robbing people. they could be totaly naval based with only a dock to build. they're building like, there starting boat will be like a town center, and they're docks make other boats, which will have different functions, like one will be responsible for making soldiers and weapons. you get what i mean. i think that could work if it was puleld of well, balancing it would be hard though.

pretty farfetched, but i like the idea.

Eso: scuzz
lucasain
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 10:50 AM EDT (US)     287 / 347       
Well good to see I am not the only one who thinks whatI do about including The U.S. of A in the game. I think those who surmise that the U.S. was ever so much like england just arne't form here and do not grasp the profound differences that existed even by 1650 between the two. The U.S. / colonies are and were multi ethni multicultural states. The cultural input of Europe, Africa, and those who were here already went in to every country in North America ( not just he us) from the get go.

Look at Mexico/ aztecs. How many of you know what the Aztecs called themselves? The called thiems selves maxhicas in thier language.

Read about the boston Tea Party. The patriots who did that deed dressed as native Americans because they identified more with the natives than they did with the hated British. Probably because those men had some native ancestry.

Iguess at first any U.S. civ would start out looking and feeling much the same as england. But by the second age it would already be much different.

BloTo
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 11:08 AM EDT (US)     288 / 347       
the game is about settling america, how can the us settle there own country? us wont be in the game becuase its just stupid.

Eso: scuzz
styrbiorn
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 11:11 AM EDT (US)     289 / 347       

Quote:

Iguess at first any U.S. civ would start out looking and feeling much the same as england. But by the second age it would already be much different.

Well, this fails with the fact that there were no USA before 1776. You don't play the British in Europe, you play the British who colonized and settled the New World, so by 1650 the British in the game ARE those "different US colonies" you spoke about.

[This message has been edited by styrbiorn (edited 04-22-2005 @ 11:12 AM).]

Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 04-22-05 05:51 PM EDT (US)     290 / 347       
Yeah, the USA and the Natives, such a beautiful love story...

The game starts in 1492. The US exist since 1776 and the game lasts in 1850. You should be happy they're in the campaign at least.

lucasain
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-05 02:03 PM EDT (US)     291 / 347       
I can hear your sarcasm. But individual Native, African, and european men and women did find eachother pleasent enough to settle down with and have families. Espeically back then as most of the Europeans who came here and the Africans who survived the passage were male. Historically there was a surplus of Native females as well. This is why america from ealy on was called a "melting pot"

This game is the story of how all these disperate peoples though blood, strife, and tears were forged into a stronger nation than any of them ever could have been alone. Though the culture of the natives is so assimilated as to be considered destroyed. Their genes survive in the cells of every american who's family has been here certainly since before 1850.

Yes to us it is a beutiful story.

Part of that story is how those people threw off the shackels of oppression from the distant home city. This was accomplished using technolgies and means that troops from the home city did not have. The guerrialtactics of the Natives and the Kentucky long rifle to snipe from afar. Irregualar formations and uniforms to better blend into the country and thus be harder to hit than the red coats.

This may all sound like blustery American jingoism but I have heard enough degradeing comments about the united states and some of it's minority peoples ( even comments pinted at "white" America) and I am tired of being nice.

If you want an escapist game about colonizeing the new world play "American Conquest" by CDV. Oh wait even that one made by a European compnay has a Playable American civ and playable native American civs as well. Go figure.

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     292 / 347       
what u suggestr in your last lines is that a european company wouldnt want to add a american civ.

i have no problems if u want to play as native american and i have my cannons

lucasain
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-05 03:33 PM EDT (US)     293 / 347       
Cannons are in that game and ( more or less in real life) Immobile and subject to being overran and captured or destroyed.

Whats cool about that game is that you can rush into the other's buildings and take them over. I mean All of the buildings, churches, barracks, houses, even forts and fortresses and turn them aginst the enemy. Nothing is sweeter than demolishing someone with thier won defensive cannons.

SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-05 03:52 PM EDT (US)     294 / 347       
I don't mind capturing cannon or buildings, but it should be restricted to certain special conditions or expensive units. Remember the original Command & Conquer, where you could sneak an APC full of Engineers through his defences within the first minute, capture his Construction Yard and stuff and immediately sell them? That's no fun, way too cheap.

Now on the other hand, having a Dutch (Swedish, German, Liechtensteinian) 4th age 100F 200G infantry unit that can "convert" a building after 20 secs or so, that brings a new strategy into the game.

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 04-24-05 09:42 AM EDT (US)     295 / 347       
Well myself I don't consider the biggest genocide of the 19th century a love story, but whatever, since none of this will probably be in the game at all...

Now why are we talking about cannons again? It's got nothing to do with the topic.

SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 04-24-05 10:45 AM EDT (US)     296 / 347       
Neither does genocide.

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
Stormboy
Skirmisher
posted 04-24-05 11:44 AM EDT (US)     297 / 347       

Quoted from lucasain:

This game is the story of how all these disperate peoples though blood, strife, and tears were forged into a stronger nation than any of them ever could have been alone.

No it isn't. It's about the European colonization of the Americas between 1500 and 1850. That's what it says on ES' website, that's what they've said in just about every interview so far. It's not about the birth of the USA, Mexico or any other country on the American continent. Even if those events are touched upon in the campaign, that's not the core of this game. Why is that so hard to understand?
PunkRocker Rick
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-05 08:22 AM EDT (US)     298 / 347       
Why do all those link go to the AOM Forum, which doesnt exist btw...?
Thebean
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-05 08:26 AM EDT (US)     299 / 347       
The Future ES games was a forum at AOMH, but this is now the one you see today at this website, the forum was moved.

Meteora is a pissy bitch

Dio is Trentin Anthony Tracanna
Isengrim
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-05 09:04 AM EDT (US)     300 / 347       
I really can't understand why people are hoping that civs like america, japan and other smaller countries (you all know which) might be on AoE3 becausethey really have nothing to do with the Age of Discovery. I only have limited knowledge on the subject, but the biggest players in the discovery game were the britons, spaniards, porugese, dutch, venice and Genoa. So ES have gone the right way for these civs (I think that the Italians will appear in an expansion pack later).

But later on in the 18th and 19th Century, i know that many Chinese, Irish, Scottish and German Immagrants came to America. At This time, though it wasn't called the USA, only North America. So I hope ES are not so naive as to include an American civ...

These are just my thoughts. Do not feel that I was getting at anyone.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12 13 14  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames