You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.347 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Civilizations-Read this before posting about a civ
Bottom
Topic Subject:Civilizations-Read this before posting about a civ
« Previous Page  1 ··· 11 12 13 14  Next Page »
GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 01-08-05 01:59 PM EDT (US)         
Lately there have been many, many, many threads about the same civilization or idea or speculation being posted 2 or 3 times. This is basically where you look to see if that has been talked about extensively yet, and, for god sakes, to stop posting threads about it. This is not a FAQ, but an information bank, if you will, about what has been posted before.

Before you post your thread, consider these:

FIRST STEP: Is it useful?
Will the post you make contribute to the AoE3 discussions? Do not post things that will make no contribution, such as trying to talk about things that should be in Community Forum or GD or any other forum.

SECOND STEP: Is it obvious?
If you say something like "OMG2 TH3RE ARE GUN5 1N 7H1S GAM3!!! ANY1 3LS3 N0TIC3!!?!11" you WILL get flamed. Everyone has seen the screenshots, only point out new ideas or intricacies.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING CONFIRMED, OR IT WILL BE THE DEATH OF YOU!!!

THIRD STEP: Is it in here?
Several subjects have been talked about. I have included some of the most talked about-and most repeated-here. If it is in this list, post in one of the threads. Don't make a new one.

Japan
japanese?
Italians and Japanese possibly civs

The evidence most used by Japanese supporters is this concept art of a Samurai. However, it is only concept art, so not very strong evidence.

EDIT: Confirmed as not a playable civ. May have Ronin as mercenary units.

Netherlands
The Dutch
The Dutch also very possible to be included

The evidence most used by Dutch supporters is this screenshot which includes the Dutch flag. It is a screenshot so they are very probable.

EDIT: Confirmed as a playable civ.

Germany/Holy Roman Empire
What is with Germany/Deutschland?

The evidence most used by German supporters are several screenshots, such as this one, with the German flag, which matches this flag

Italy/Venice
Italians and Japanese possible AoE3 civs

The evidence most used by Italian supporters is this concept art of an Venetian Stradiot. However, it is only concept art and not very strong evidence.

EDIT: Confirmed as not a playable civ. Possible in expansion, may be in game at some point.

Portugal
Portuguese in Age of Empires III

The evidence most used by Portuguese supporters is concept art with this flag, which matches this flag. However, its is only concept art and not very strong evidence.

America
Where are the Americans?

America (USA) has been confirmed as not a playable civ in multiplayer/skirmish games, but may be a playable civilization in the campaign.

Natives
These should answer any question you have on natives.

You may be able to play with a Native civ in the campaign, as there have been reports of helping the Aztecs fight the Spanish, etc.

Trade

These should answer any question you have on trading

The Home City Concept

These or these should answer any question you have on the home city.[/url]

Trains
Trains?
Railway in AoD
locomotives

There are trains in this screenshot. There have been debates over whether they're in RM or just campaign, and what their purpose is.

EDIT: Trains have been confirmed as 4th level and later trade units.

Naval Warfare
boats/ships
What kinds of battleships?
Naval Warfare
An Innovative Design for large Naval units that works for Ensemble's AoE3

We have seen big ships-and small ones-mainly what we know is from this screenshot. We have also seen cnoes here, but it is not known if they are in the game, eye candy, or a campaign object.

England, France, Spain, Netherlands, Russia, Ottomans, Portugal, Germany
These are the civilizations that are confirmed so far.

FOURTH STEP: Search is STILL your friend!
Just like in every forum here, search is very important. Before the pickup, it was slightly less important, but with the number of posts coming in now it is essential. Search keywords that could be in the same vein as your subject. For example, if you will post on slavery, search "Slavery" "Slaves" etc.

FIFTH STEP: Posting your topic
Please, try to speak intelligibly. Make sure you know what you're talking about, and check your information. Make sure OTHER people know what you're talking about, as well.

So please people, don't spam the forum with repetitive threads.

[This message has been edited by GoForGoldenJarls (edited 06-16-2005 @ 08:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
PunkRocker Rick
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-05 09:25 AM EDT (US)     301 / 347       
Well there has to be someone to conquer.
Dutch_Glory
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-05 02:13 PM EDT (US)     302 / 347       
Of course, the United States is Anglo-Saxon, which of course dates back to the influence of mainly the British. But while Britain was a society with not that many influences from other parts of the world, the United States is different. It is different it was also influenced by the French, Dutch, Swedes and later Germans, Poles, Hispanics, Italians, Irish, Chinese, Japanese or virtually every nation, culture, which is obvious because of the huge flow of new immigrants arriving each year, even before 1776.
Most people are from British descent and so are its institutions, customs etc.

So it wouldn't be fair to say the US is a new Britain or something like that.
Nonetheless including the US is highly unlikely, as most of you know. As including the US would also include adding Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina or ever other Latin American country ranging from Uruguay to Costa Rica, Cuba or Peru.
Of course of all nations concerned the US was independent earlier than the other nations and it did have a bigger influence but yet it still is a bit silly to include them.
The game is about the colonization, discovery of that huge continent from Canada to Argentina and discovery was done by the leading martime European nations. After all, the US did not discover itself.
Maybe the game could include the US if you could make countries independent, 'be' one of the new nations and then go from 1776 tot 2000 or something.
But if the game is solely about the discovery of the America's (like the legendary Sid Meier's Colonization)then the USA can't and shouldn't be in.

OldGrex
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-05 07:00 PM EDT (US)     303 / 347       

Quoted from Dutch_Glory:

But if the game is solely about the discovery of the America's (like the legendary Sid Meier's Colonization)then the USA can't and shouldn't be in.

Just for the record, the USA was in Sid Meier's "Colonization;" that's how you won the game - you declared independence and beat off an invasion force sent from your home city. That's a way I wish, but am certain to be disappointed, that AoE3 could be played in singleplayer - victory by successful revolution.

Strive For Ataraxia
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-13-05 02:53 AM EDT (US)     304 / 347       
so you have an opponent to kill, you have no resourses/units from homecity and yoy have an homecity to kill.

goodluck

ThatisHILLARIOUS
Skirmisher
posted 05-13-05 10:23 AM EDT (US)     305 / 347       
The US is not Anglo-Saxon, it is a nation founded by Anglo-Saxons. Most people are not Anglo-Saxon anyway.

This is my sig.

True, it does suck.

But I deal with it.

Why can't you?
THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 05-14-05 04:48 AM EDT (US)     306 / 347       
doesnt this thread really need to be edited, because all the civs are confirmed

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
flyboyz2000k
Skirmisher
posted 05-20-05 12:43 PM EDT (US)     307 / 347       
I dont know if anyone has said this before and it might be because gamespot doesnt seem that credible to anyone, but they have released the information on the 8 civilizations that will be in age of empire 3. They will be Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Russia, Turkey, and the Netherlands.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/ageofempiresiii/preview_6123599.html

Thebean
Skirmisher
posted 05-20-05 03:16 PM EDT (US)     308 / 347       
Hmm, yes, we did realise that a little while ago.

Meteora is a pissy bitch

Dio is Trentin Anthony Tracanna
lucasain
Skirmisher
posted 05-21-05 06:15 PM EDT (US)     309 / 347       
At ageofempires3.com it says that allying with a native tribe is not somuch the native tribe meekly succombing to the overlordship of a European civ. They describe it as playing as two civilizations. So that means that you can basically create a new civlization from a blending of a European civ and a native civ.

With the above being officially so then the fact is that you can play as the Americans, mexicans, brazillians, Canadians, etc. Because all of the countries I just listed are mixture's of a European culture with a native culture (and in the case of Mexico, and the USA a non-trivial ammount of African culture). So if I want to play as the USA all I need is to pick britan and ally with the Iriquois and/or Algonquins.

@ ThatisHILLARIOUS

You will find that many of the people on this board who are in Europe think the US is more or less a new Britan with a tiny tiny bit of influence from other European and non European culture's. This attitude is so ingrained that fighting it is next to impossible so just let them be.

These same types do not think the USA could be explicitly in an expansion for some reason.

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-22-05 02:44 AM EDT (US)     310 / 347       
@ ThatisHILLARIOUS\
you will find out that lucasain:
1. tells everyone is racist
2. is racist
3. talks bullshit

@lucasain, if you think so have fun.
but i think you only get the european civ that can make a limited ammount of native units (and also native villies i think)

lucasain
Skirmisher
posted 05-22-05 03:55 AM EDT (US)     311 / 347       
Shclipdad says

"@ ThatisHILLARIOUS\
you will find out that lucasain:
1. tells everyone is racist
2. is racist
3. talks bullshit"

Cite one racist thing I have said.

I can cite the counter example of myself supporting the
the petition to include a swedish civ in this game. Go ahead and check the link. If I was so racist why would I do that.

I'll plead nolo contendre to the other two accusations :-)

Furthermore If you can buld villagers and units probably even buildings of a native civ then guess what. You are basically playing as a native civ. In this game it seems that you can build both types of units and perhaps even create some sort of hybrid units of european and native American design. This would be inaccord with what really happend time and again in America.

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-22-05 03:58 AM EDT (US)     312 / 347       
hybrid units

lolol

Quote:

It seems that to Europeans North and South America are just extensions of Europe. While to us in the Americas know better.

i found one :Z

You can only make a certain ammount of natives. they will be a small part of your army. Most of your army will still be european units.

[This message has been edited by schildpad (edited 05-22-2005 @ 04:03 AM).]

Sunshine
Banned
posted 05-22-05 05:38 AM EDT (US)     313 / 347       

Quote:

It seems that to Europeans North and South America are just extensions of Europe. While to us in the Americas know better.

While I'm not supporting what lucasain has said, what he does say isn't racist. If it is anything, it is prejudice.

Guys, if there is an opinion which you believe is wrong, then explain and inform the people who read this thread - including the person who wrote the original opinion - as to why it is wrong. It works a whole lot better than inadvertently inducing a thread to be off-topic from its original topic, through the production of posts on personal issues.

Back on topic.

Quote:

Actually, she has alot. If Tony can't get permission to do something, he can just ask her. If she gives him permission, he can do what he likes (which has been done many times, e.g. to scare a few hundred people off a set of islands to allow the US to build an army base there. Incidentally, the government still denies it.)

While I do agree that the monarchy does have a hell of a lot of theoretical power, the use of that power is practically unused. It is unused, as the state of the government in Great Britain relies heavily on parliamentarism. To execute her powers without the backing of the parliament would cause the British people to loose faith in their monarchy. The moment that happens, the monarchy will most likely topple.

Therefore, it can be called a 'so-so' situation. The Queen does have the power, but she can't use her power absolutely without the risk of loosing her monarchy and that power.

lucasain
Skirmisher
posted 05-22-05 06:45 AM EDT (US)     314 / 347       
I can agree with that statement. Last time I looked their was no such thing as a "European race". I was prejudiced by comments that demonstrated a widespread lack of knowledge of U.S. history. Any avid reader of these boards will recall how some people thought that the Us had only fought wars with england, is as it stands now the same as england in every important way. Anyone who lives here knows that is false.

As for what I say about the native Americans it comes straight form Ageofempire3.com just look at the civs and click "native Americans" It says that by allying with a native tribe you will be ineffect playing as two different civs a european civ and a native one.

Most significantly this means that instead of having 8 + 12=20 civs in the game we will have "12 choose 8" civs in the game which is 12!/(8!(12-8)!)= 495 of these combination civs.

495 uniqe combinations of civs and that calculation does not account for the possibility of allying with more than one native civ. How much more diversity can we ask for?

[This message has been edited by lucasain (edited 05-22-2005 @ 06:46 AM).]

Cataphract887
Skirmisher
posted 05-22-05 11:29 AM EDT (US)     315 / 347       
hardly as naive americans wont take up 50% of tech tree,they will be like a handful of new units to make.within a few months combos that work will be found and then 95% of possible choices go out the winodw since they arnt as optimal

Quote:

Therefore, it can be called a 'so-so' situation. The Queen does have the power, but she can't use her power absolutely without the risk of loosing her monarchy and that power.

i agree.like a minor moon orbiting a planet,she has little pull,but when conbined with the majors(the real government),can be used to help ease their use or boost them.never alone

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 05-22-2005 @ 11:32 AM).]

MW
Skirmisher
(id: Medieval Warfare)
posted 05-22-05 07:03 PM EDT (US)     316 / 347       
Probably this is known, but the eight civs have been confirmed:

Each of the game's eight nations (Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Russia, Turkey, and the Netherlands)

Source: GameSpot

I didn't want to look into the 32 pages...so my apologies if I re-stated something.

-MW

[This message has been edited by Ancient War (edited 05-22-2005 @ 07:04 PM).]

Ajs77311
Skirmisher
posted 05-22-05 08:06 PM EDT (US)     317 / 347       
At the new AoE3 website, how often will Bruce update it? If you could give us an estimate.

Thanks

Edit: Oops.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

[This message has been edited by Ajs77311 (edited 05-22-2005 @ 08:07 PM).]

Empires3
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-05 07:31 PM EDT (US)     318 / 347       
Germany has been confermed as a civilization! Huzzah! Their UUs are the Dopplesoldner, Uhlan Cavalry and the settler wagon. Check out http://www.ageofempires3.com/Civilizations/German.aspx

Age~of~Empires=-=-=-=->-V-<-=-=-=-=Age~of~Empires
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-05 04:20 AM EDT (US)     319 / 347       
euh thats nothing new
Byzantine2793
Skirmisher
posted 06-15-05 02:36 AM EDT (US)     320 / 347       
i went to the offical site i can tell you all civs in order just so you know france, briton spain, dutch, german, ottoman,portugal, russia,
Byzantine2793
Skirmisher
posted 06-15-05 02:38 AM EDT (US)     321 / 347       
am i the onyl one who looked the that sote besides for you cause thats where i found all of that its the fofficial page
GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 06-16-05 00:29 AM EDT (US)     322 / 347       
I never even realized this thread still existed, sorry for not updating it

EDIT: ...so now it's more updated. I'll add more later.

And could a mod change the title to "Read before posting a topic"? Because this now encompasses a lot more than civilizations.

[This message has been edited by GoForGoldenJarls (edited 06-16-2005 @ 00:40 AM).]

Al Davhid
Skirmisher
posted 06-16-05 03:26 AM EDT (US)     323 / 347       
@GoForGoldenJarls

Has the US been confirmed as a playable civ in the campaign? At least a preview I read said something about Scottish, then French and Indians, then South Americans, or at least that's what it sounded like....

[This message has been edited by Al Davhid (edited 02-02-2006 @ 04:06 PM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 06-16-05 06:42 AM EDT (US)     324 / 347       
wtf are you talking about. you begin as scottish in first campaign, then their children, then their children
Al Davhid
Skirmisher
posted 06-16-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     325 / 347       

What are -you- talking about? Did I ever say you wouldn't be playing 3 generations of the Black family?

And, btw, you are quite rude.

[This message has been edited by Al Davhid (edited 02-02-2006 @ 04:07 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 11 12 13 14  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames