You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.42 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Age of Empires 3: The Dutch!!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Age of Empires 3: The Dutch!!!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-05 08:57 PM EDT (US)         
I have been playing the dutch all day and have to say they are an interesting twist to the normal. They are definately a booming civ that will be best on water type maps but they have many great traits for land maps as well. The interesting gameplay with the Dutch had me looped at first but when I realized the differences I was rather pleased.

For starters The dutch vils cost coin and not food, that was a wierd shift for me but a fun one. The vils costing coin means you have to be more inventive with your builds. Building early markets are more worth it than with other civs. You can trade some of your early coin for food and age faster, sell some wood or food for coin to get more vils, and also benefit from the market techs earlier (thanks to the shipment tech that makes market upgrades cheaper).

Banks are pretty handy though they are pretty costly. they help to keep the hard to get dutch citizens doing other chores like gathering food and wood. At over 300 food and 300 wood they are an expensive proposition but they do pay for themselves in time.

Ruyters the Dutch ranged cavalry is awesome against other cavalry though not so potent against infantry, they aren't very great raiders but they are fast so they can flee faster than infantry raiders.

Fluyts are a slow warship resistant to building fire that allows you to train troops in, though in the build I have I have yet to see their combat effectiveness due to no good water maps but imagine 3-4 Fluyts pushing out Ruyters right near your shore with your shore batteries barely hurting them at all.

The Envoy is a scout unit that you get free when the game starts, they offer no attack but they are a good spare unit to start with to find nice resource spots and treasures.

What is interesting is Dutch do not get Crossbows... they get Pikes and Halberdiers with Skirmishers for their ranged infantry unit. I think this is because they also get one of the few ranged cavalry units in the game.

A tech that is shipped from the home city called Stadhouder makes your explorer better in combat and allows him to train a dog that in any regard kicks some serious ass. This helps to give Dutch treasure hunting a major boost as you won't have to wait until age 2 to get enough troops to take out the medium sized gaurdians to get the better treasures.

[EDIT] I forgot one of the coolest things. Because of the banks, markets and citizens mining from the start you have a pretty handy amount of coin once you get to age 2... so much so you can basically SKIP age 2 and go directly to age 3. One of the government type selections when you go from age 2 to age 3 doesn't give any troops or techs or resources, it only lets you go from age 2 to age 3 VERY quickly. I think this is why Crossbowmen aren't apart of the Dutch aresnal because they can get to ruyters and skirmishers so quickly. (I'm liking the dutch)

The Dutch are a pretty interesting civ and I am surprised at how well they are balanced even though they need to use a seperate resource to train the vital villy. I will say that in the right hands the Dutch will be deadly on water maps but also a mighty force on land! The more I play the more I like AoE3, good job ES I think Age of Empires 3 has earned it's place in the Age of Series!

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 08-18-2005 @ 10:04 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 01:05 PM EDT (US)     26 / 42       
undecided.

TGE

Able Company (my job)

gorbag orc
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 01:09 PM EDT (US)     27 / 42       
hmm, well maybe then you should make a topic about it and let people do suggestions about what they think you should preview so you can maybe get some ideas out of these about what to preview.
Ganacampo
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 01:38 PM EDT (US)     28 / 42       

Quote:

A lot of questions here I'm not ignoring I just feel there should be something to look forward to the game So i'll feed you the juice and make you crave the meat

I would look forward the game more, if u were answering the question, if pikeman and halbadier are looking as different as in AoC.

Rey_Grugnorr
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 03:06 PM EDT (US)     29 / 42       
Review the Ottomans, please. There is no info about them, just 1 screenshot showing Jannissaries, their stats and no more

--------------------------------
What the hells!
Ganacampo
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 03:12 PM EDT (US)     30 / 42       
By the way, as far as I know, as for cavalary (except the french) each civ just get one not ranged cavalary unit , the hussar, right?

Or did I miss something?

Seems to be a bit too few.:S

divine_right
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 03:36 PM EDT (US)     31 / 42       
no, there's the German Uhlan and the Spanish lancer... and perhaps the Ottoman Spahi although they might be like dragoons - not sure...

...cause God said so.
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 04:00 PM EDT (US)     32 / 42       
I think i'll try the ottomans next.

TGE

Able Company (my job)

Billman
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 05:01 PM EDT (US)     33 / 42       

Quote:

By the way, as far as I know, as for cavalary (except the french) each civ just get one not ranged cavalary unit , the hussar, right?

Or did I miss something?

Seems to be a bit too few.:S

Hmmm, I'm a bit puzzled as well. I thought each nation would get a heavy cav (like the French getting a Cuirasser), and a light cav unit (a hussar/uhlan/cossacks,etc), plus a range cav(dragoon)? :s

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 05:08 PM EDT (US)     34 / 42       
Nope that's not the case. Germans seem to be lacking in the military department... However The russians are filled with units... I still haven't played a few civs but everyone is different and play differently.

TGE

Able Company (my job)

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 08-19-2005 @ 05:09 PM).]

GRUNT
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 08:30 PM EDT (US)     35 / 42       
Wow, the Dutch sounds awesome . I liked the unique twist to economy that Thor offered in AoM, and it sounds like I'm in for a similar treat as the Dutch . Totally skipping Age2 sounds wicked!

GRUNT'S UBER COMICS OF DOOM! READ!
http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=91&st=recent&f=4,91,0,10]z00t[/url]
RoL Online Nick:
ESO name:[/b][url=http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/EntityStats.aspx?loc=en-US&EntityName=z00t&md=ZS_Supremacy]z00t
East_Friesian
Banned
posted 08-19-05 10:58 PM EDT (US)     36 / 42       
Can somebody please answer Gorbag Orc's questions about the dutch , like their extra defensive ability and of course their UU , how does it compare to a Dragoon ?
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-05 11:44 PM EDT (US)     37 / 42       
This is great!

The Dutch sound better then I expected, the Bank idea is really cool and I think I would make good use of the Fluyts! So, tell me please, TGE, how are the units created on the boat, do they go into the garrison or appear on land?

Also, can you tell me how cavalry and cannons fare in battle, like how fast and how devastating can a cannon raid be versus a cavalry raid?

Thanks,
-Toy

I reject your reality, and substatute my own!
gorbag orc
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-05 02:46 AM EDT (US)     38 / 42       
Do the Dutch get Grenadiers and Musketeers? And what about Hussars?
Ganacampo
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-05 06:18 AM EDT (US)     39 / 42       
Then I'm dissapointed, that most civs just get one cav and one ranged cav, its just lik the Atlanteans in AoM, but in AoC a lotta civs even got 3 cav (+camel) and one ranged cav, so IMO thats a step backwards.:s
Heinrich
Banned
posted 08-25-05 05:21 PM EDT (US)     40 / 42       
Too bad the dutch don't have any slaves to do the gathering
Magnum Pi
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 08:13 PM EDT (US)     41 / 42       

Quote:

Banks are pretty handy though they are pretty costly. they help to keep the hard to get dutch citizens doing other chores like gathering food and wood. At over 300 food and 300 wood they are an expensive proposition but they do pay for themselves in time.

You're saying that banks are like coin factories? If that's true, then why don't you just build like 25 of them and then sell all your coin for the food and wood that you need? If that's true, then banks could easily become OP. If there's a build limit or another set back besides costs, then I think this would balance them.

sexypanda
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 08:20 PM EDT (US)     42 / 42       
Theres a limit on how much banks you can get.. .Not very high i guess, since there is even two cards to increase the number of banks you can have (+1 bank limit, each card)..
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames