Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.243 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Windows 2000
Bottom
Topic Subject:Windows 2000
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8  Next Page »
Ykkrosh
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 07:03 PM EDT (US)         
"Age of Empires III Trial requires Windows XP or later" - well, okay, except it's lying.

I use Windows 2000, so the installer refuses to run - but I can install on a spare machine that's running XP, then copy the installed files, and it appears to work perfectly well on 2K.

As far as I can see, there's no reason why the installer should be telling me to upgrade. An updated version of the demo, without this bug, would be appreciated. I shouldn't have to mess around so much just to run a game, and if it's not fixed in the retail version, ES has lost at least one sale.

Update: If you have encountered this problem, see post #111 for a way to install the game.

[This message has been edited by Ykkrosh (edited 09-09-2005 @ 07:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Chibiabos
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 01:44 AM EDT (US)     126 / 243       
Microsoft has officially kissed off a lot of players who refuse to sign over their computer to Microsoft when you install WindowsXP. WindowsXP is the second worst OS Microsoft has ever deployed (the first worst being ME). Forcing people to eviscerate their computers by paying money for the defective OS before they can install other Microsoft software is exactly why Microsoft should have been broken up.

I am very angry because I did enjoy the Age of Empires series and was looking forward to III, but clearly Microsoft is using it to force people to destroy their computers with WindowsXP or else they can't enjoy any newer games from Microsoft.

I haven't seen system specs, but I'm guessing they are playing the same "do exactly as we say or f--- off" with the RoN sequel. :/

I never thought I could be more ashamed of Microsoft ... as the saying goes, never say never. :/

Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 02:19 AM EDT (US)     127 / 243       
TheExecutor,
I did all that work and now I get that bogus error message. Just my luck, heh heh. But thanks for the support.
Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 02:41 AM EDT (US)     128 / 243       
I found this in the bug thread.

Quote:

1. Open your My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Startup folder

2. Create a user.cfg file

3. Add the line +nointrocinematics save and exit

4. Play the game

Someone said it fixed their problem. ES posted this to resolve issues with the game being installed but not starting.

But can someone tell me what step 3 means. Where do I add the line "+nonintrocinematics" when I try to open up user.cfg is asks which program I would like to open it with. If I open it with Word the file is just blank. I wrote that command in anyway. Doesn't work.

Psycho_Mani4c
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 06:22 AM EDT (US)     129 / 243       
What bothers me MOST about this topic, is that it actually IS possible to play the AOE3 demo on WIN2K systems. The steps provided above are VERY easy to follow and should get you going in 2 minutes tops.

Now here's the point: If it's so easy to get aoe3 working on win2k, WHY DOES MICROSOFT TELL US IT'S NOT POSSIBLE?
You can't convince me that MICROSOFT didn't KNOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS...

Something smelly is going on here like more people have indicated, just summing it up...

AOE3 @ SM4RTASS

Dominating with: The French
HC: Le Moule
Explorer: Ze Chauvenist

Macgyver2k
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 09:41 AM EDT (US)     130 / 243       
found another easy way how to install the game under win2k.

1. put the aoe3trial.exe to c:\
2. start -> run -> cmd
3. type: c:\aoe3trial.exe /a
4. click next, then the installer will ask for a network path, simply type in the path you want to install the game to ( e.g. c:\games\AOE3Trial )
5. click Install ( it seems se program does nothing, but the installation is in progrss - maybe takes some minutes )
6. an then finish

and if you only get a popup box without a text when you try to start age3.exe then you may not have MSXML4 installed.

you can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&displayla ng=en

~
mac

[This message has been edited by Macgyver2k (edited 09-09-2005 @ 10:16 AM).]

Aioth
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 09:57 AM EDT (US)     131 / 243       
Someone give Macgyver2k a bloody medal!
WarC
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 10:36 AM EDT (US)     132 / 243       
Vindicator,

the +nointrocinematics line should probably be added to the shortcut to the AOE3 executable by right clicking it, going to Properties, then adding it to the end of the Target line.

Chibiabos
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 10:45 AM EDT (US)     133 / 243       
*bows to Macgyver2k*
niranbd
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 11:29 AM EDT (US)     134 / 243       
ok its work on my windows 2000 now, i hope the full game will not have that stupid BUG(yes,im still calling it a BUG).
BlackWatch
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 11:37 AM EDT (US)     135 / 243       
Neon_Blue:

Sorry about late reply. Do this:

Go to C:\Windows\System
Copy msiexec.exe to C:\

Now try it. Tell me what happens and please pardon my slowness.

Neon_Blue
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 05:43 PM EDT (US)     136 / 243       
Yeah when I put the msiexec.exe in c, nothing happens, as I'd expect. So I tried running the ao3.msi and nothing happens.

Edit: I get an error message saying it must be run by setup.exe.

---NeonBlue---
Super penguin rider
Mostly Harmless
We are Perfectly Safe

[This message has been edited by Neon_Blue (edited 09-09-2005 @ 05:44 PM).]

BlackWatch
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 07:59 PM EDT (US)     137 / 243       
Is ao3.msi also in C:\
Neon_Blue
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 08:56 PM EDT (US)     138 / 243       
Yes.

---NeonBlue---
Super penguin rider
Mostly Harmless
We are Perfectly Safe
LordW
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 09:06 PM EDT (US)     139 / 243       
So can we play the full version on win 2000???
BlackWatch
Skirmisher
posted 09-09-05 11:23 PM EDT (US)     140 / 243       
Running it won't do anything - it should just make the folder. Check in C:\ for the folder. Like AoE3 or whatever it was.
Neon_Blue
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-05 06:50 PM EDT (US)     141 / 243       
Alright, everything else has failed. Can anybody send me aoe3 *folder* via msn messenger or something? I'm on cable and have fast dl speeds.

---NeonBlue---
Super penguin rider
Mostly Harmless
We are Perfectly Safe

[This message has been edited by Neon_Blue (edited 09-10-2005 @ 06:51 PM).]

jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 09-15-05 03:32 AM EDT (US)     142 / 243       
Hi,
I have followed the above workarounds (all of them) and get as far as having a game directory that looks like it should work. However, when I run the exe I get nothing but a quick hour glass and some HD churning. The game doesn't start! What could be wrong?

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
dooglrig
Skirmisher
posted 09-15-05 07:29 AM EDT (US)     143 / 243       
i would like to have a statement form ES about what they are planing concerning win2000 und the retail version.
jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 09-15-05 12:40 PM EDT (US)     144 / 243       
Also want to note that I don't get an error message at all. I have the latest video card drivers and that MSXML SP2 thing. Tried changing resolution as others have suggested, forcing res to 1024 as ES suggested. Same deal.

Ideas?

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
Ganacampo
Skirmisher
posted 09-18-05 11:53 AM EDT (US)     145 / 243       
Any news on this issue?

ES should really remove this.

jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 09-18-05 05:32 PM EDT (US)     146 / 243       
I think that if ES is as good to their customers as they have been in the past, they will at least allow installation of the product, without supporting it.

As for my issue, I'm still stuck. Recap:

Quote:

I have followed the above workarounds (all of them) and get as far as having a game directory that looks like it should work. However, when I run the exe I get nothing but a quick hour glass and some HD churning. The game doesn't start! I don't get an error message at all. I have the latest video card drivers and the MSXML update. Tried changing resolution as others have suggested, forcing res to 1024 as ES suggested. Same deal. What could be wrong?

signalfires
Skirmisher
posted 09-21-05 11:28 AM EDT (US)     147 / 243       
I'm very surprised how many users posting here have ended up with home computers running Windows 2000. I don't remember any PC manufacturers shipping Windows 2000 PCs other than to the businesses market. I don't want to provoke an off-topic debate here, but I bet on a huge proportion of the Windows 2000 users posting in this thread have an illegal installation of it.

s i g n a l f i r e s
KingOfTheHill
Skirmisher
posted 09-21-05 11:36 AM EDT (US)     148 / 243       
"The world we lived in today is dying" -- Nostradamus the faggot.

Topic: I'm sure Homecity will do the trick.

king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 09-21-05 11:49 AM EDT (US)     149 / 243       
Its dumb you can't install the game on 2K. I can see understand if its not supported, and they can put a warning up.. but not letting them install it?

Requiring them to get XP?

Sounds just like microsoft.. $$$

[This message has been edited by king of ages (edited 09-21-2005 @ 11:50 AM).]

Ganacampo
Skirmisher
posted 09-21-05 01:01 PM EDT (US)     150 / 243       
Maybe everybody not going to buy the game because of this stupid thng should write it here, so that ES sees what they're doing

Me couldn't buy it then.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames