Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.243 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Windows 2000
Bottom
Topic Subject:Windows 2000
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
Ykkrosh
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 07:03 PM EDT (US)         
"Age of Empires III Trial requires Windows XP or later" - well, okay, except it's lying.

I use Windows 2000, so the installer refuses to run - but I can install on a spare machine that's running XP, then copy the installed files, and it appears to work perfectly well on 2K.

As far as I can see, there's no reason why the installer should be telling me to upgrade. An updated version of the demo, without this bug, would be appreciated. I shouldn't have to mess around so much just to run a game, and if it's not fixed in the retail version, ES has lost at least one sale.

Update: If you have encountered this problem, see post #111 for a way to install the game.

[This message has been edited by Ykkrosh (edited 09-09-2005 @ 07:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
DeFT
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 01:55 PM EDT (US)     176 / 243       

Well, playing it a while i can tell its becoming a great game, at least for now, i found a bug, so every 40min the game crashes. This is not a temperature error because other games dont do that.

We are able to update the game or not?

Timooo
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 03:50 PM EDT (US)     177 / 243       

Quote:

if i have windows 2000 i can update it to windows XP without having to delet all the games and programs and all that stuff? because i have some really important things that i cant backup Oo

I would suggest backing up ALL important information before installing a new OS. "Upgrading" to Windows XP will probably format your drive; it all depends on how you do it. And what do you mean "some really important things that you can't backup?" Everything digital can be copied to CD/DVD or another Hard Drive.

The Dover Demon
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 06:13 PM EDT (US)     178 / 243       
Unfortunately I don't think you can upgrade to XP from 2000. You can upgrade from 98 and ME though. The only way to do it would be to backup your data on disks or an external hard drive, format your computer for XP, then download the data back onto the computer with XP installed.

On 98 and ME, you have the option of upgrading, which installs XP files into the Windows folder, but retains your files. In some cases this doesn't work, so you'll have no option other than to do a clean install, which reformats your disk and deletes everything in it.

Evillost
Skirmisher
posted 10-20-05 06:50 PM EDT (US)     179 / 243       
Timoo's instructions are perfect for installing, word for word what I did.

IF YOU WANT TO PATCH THE GAME!!

Go to www.agecommunity.com(or wherever) and download the patch.
Run it.

Voila

The in-game and autoupdater will NOT WORK (I'm guessing it somehow detects win2k?) however downloading it does work.

Note: It may SEEM to lock up during patching, just give it a few minutes it does work.

Now can anyone tell me how to play online....

Timooo
Skirmisher
posted 10-21-05 04:45 AM EDT (US)     180 / 243       
Thank you Evillost =D Glad it helped.

I actually havn't been able to update yet though =\ I did download the update exe but I still hasn't worked; I did the registry thing someone said, but the update says "Old File Does Not Exist" Do you know what might cause that? (and did you do anything extra before you installed the update?) Thank you! =)

[This message has been edited by Timooo (edited 10-21-2005 @ 04:49 AM).]

guhbuhjuh
Skirmisher
posted 10-22-05 11:08 PM EDT (US)     181 / 243       
Hey Timoo, the solution is here, it's probably just the fact that you don't have YOUR proper folder specified, read my edit: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=11&tn=25571&st=recent&f=11,25571,0,10
Timooo
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 06:00 AM EDT (US)     182 / 243       
wow, Guhbuhjuh! It worked! Thank you so much! The exact problem... I didn't have the folder correctly specified; Thanks again!
faust1
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 02:36 PM EDT (US)     183 / 243       
ARRRGH!

Got the game to install, but now I have an error message....

%MS_MSGBOXTextMSIDNOTVALID%

wtf?

I dl'd the Direct X update, and I also got the xl update (not sure where to extract the files to though)

Any help would be most appreciated.....

Thanks!

Timooo
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 04:45 PM EDT (US)     184 / 243       
faust1... It sounds like it could be an error with the registry... PID (your serial code) Did you ever get the game to run one time to type in the serial number? %MS_MSGBOXTextMSIDNOTVALID% looks like it would mean Microsoft_Microsoft Games Box Text Microsoft ID Not Valid...

I would actually recommend re-installing it though... but first make sure you are at your latest win2k service pack with all the extra updates. (and make sure you installed the dx8/msxl updates correctly)

[This message has been edited by Timooo (edited 10-23-2005 @ 04:47 PM).]

wayneb64
Skirmisher
posted 10-24-05 11:04 AM EDT (US)     185 / 243       
Yes, you can upgrade from 2000 to XP. I did it last week.
The only problem I encountered was that my SB Live Value
was to old for XP to handle correctly and I had to try
six different ways of installing/repairing/removing
the driver until it finally worked.

I HATE that I had to do it, but I plan to play mutliplayer
and would rather go thru this hassel than fight with AoE3
to get updates and multiplayer to work.

Disinherited
Skirmisher
posted 10-24-05 07:07 PM EDT (US)     186 / 243       

Quote:

Hey Timoo, the solution is here, it's probably just the fact that you don't have YOUR proper folder specified, read my edit: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=11&tn=25571&st=recent&f=11,25571,0,10

That's odd, I tried this and it didn't work. I entered a new key (which made a new folder) following your directions, but it didn't install the patch?
BritishF14
Skirmisher
posted 10-25-05 08:48 AM EDT (US)     187 / 243       
"It would cost us more to optimize/test/compat/etc on 2K. In the end, it was a decision that was made to streamline the workload and provide the best experience for the largest group of customers. Given the responses here, I'm sure we'll discuss our plan to not let folks install on 2K, but I'm not promising any change.
As far as other XP only games, Dungeon Siege 2 and BF2 (IIRC) come to mind.

dave"

Thats so weird, because I play BF2, and OMG!! GUESS WHAT!!! I HAVE WINDOWS 2000!!!!! NO WAY!! HOW DID I DO IT!!!

So, dave, whens the new Windows OS coming out....idk, Christmas maybe...assholes....this is a letter to Microsoft that i wrote, they probably dont read it but whatver:

"You guys are assholes, you make Age of Empires such a great game, and then make it NOT work with older windows, HEY! if you want people to buy the new windows, MAYBE you shouldnt make it so SHITTY! U ****S MADE ME SPEND 50 F' ING DOLLARS ON A GAME THAT WONT RUN AND NOW I CANT RETURN IT! U guys should really either A) make windows better than crappy XP that is the same as 2k but with prettier effects, B) Lower the price of the dam thing, or C) Make games and software usable for windows 2000 and 98.

Sorry if i get banned...lol i was pissed

I had to erase half of it because the filter wouldnt let me through

Before Alamein we never had a victory. After Alamein we never had a defeat. - Winston Churchill
Timooo
Skirmisher
posted 10-25-05 09:05 AM EDT (US)     188 / 243       
Disinherited... It works; you have to go into regedit make a few folder or w/e to put SetupPath into the 1.0 folder and under data type in c:\Program Files\Micro Soft Games\Age of Empires3\Age of Empires III

(it just needs to be set to the exact directly where your aoe3.exe is -so go into your folder and check-) Then just run the update install (you have to download it)

BRITISH14! British14, Read This... http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,25530,0,all and AOE3 DOES run on windows 2000. (Also scroll down to my next post about palladium / tcpa on that page)

[This message has been edited by Timooo (edited 10-25-2005 @ 09:09 AM).]

stanthemanlu
Skirmisher
posted 10-26-05 03:30 PM EDT (US)     189 / 243       
i have windows 2000 and i have followed all the instructions posted to install and run it, i have the game installed but when i try and run the campaign it freezes just after the level starts, same with skirmish or anything else. is this just because i have win2k and it wasn't tested for it? or is there something i can do to stop this?
Timooo
Skirmisher
posted 10-26-05 05:12 PM EDT (US)     190 / 243       
There is something you can do to fix that; because I and many others can run the game on windows 2000. So try updating to the latest version of win2k (service pack 4) and get all the extra updates; Also Check to see if your hardware meets minimum requirements. It could also be a power issue (if you have a 200watt power supply and have too powerful of a video card - it could make things freeze / or shut down) There are a few things that could be wong, so try things out; but I can tell you that it's not a "testing problem." It DOES work on windows 2000.

[This message has been edited by Timooo (edited 10-26-2005 @ 05:15 PM).]

stanthemanlu
Skirmisher
posted 10-27-05 12:31 PM EDT (US)     191 / 243       
the only system requirement that my computer doesn't meet is the 64 bit video card, i only have a 32. but i know that the game will still run with only 32, just not as smooth. i have 512 mb RAM, 1.8 ghzt processor. any other ideas?
Roundhouse
Skirmisher
posted 10-27-05 08:23 PM EDT (US)     192 / 243       

Quote:

I signed up to voice my irritation at this.

Same here grr!

MS at its best I suppose. If they were to say Win95 or NT is not supported I might have said: well I can see why. But 2K?

Quote:

I simply can't justify spending $800 on windows xp just to play games, as will be the case with many casual gamers...

Especially since XP has nothing extra usefull to offer me in comparison with 2K ! !

@stanthemanlu :
Like u said m8 it will run, just not as smooth given ur hardware specs. Otherwise u need to be more precise.

stanthemanlu
Skirmisher
posted 10-27-05 10:56 PM EDT (US)     193 / 243       
well what other info would be helpful to know, the game loads fine, i get the menu, select single player>campaign, then it starts to load and as soon as the map comes up and the storyline begins it freezes completely. i can't alt-F4, can't ctl-alt-del. theres nothing i can do to close the program out and get back to my desktop, i have to do a hard restart on the computer. if i try to do a skirmish, i get to the settings page to pick my civ and all that, then when i start the game it freezes shortly after. my roommate has the same model laptop as me but has winxp and he only has 256 mb ram and his runs fine. i'm usually pretty good with computers, but i'm lost on this one
Disinherited
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 02:37 AM EDT (US)     194 / 243       

Quote:

Disinherited... It works; you have to go into regedit make a few folder or w/e to put SetupPath into the 1.0 folder and under data type in c:\Program Files\Micro Soft Games\Age of Empires3\Age of Empires III

(it just needs to be set to the exact directly where your aoe3.exe is -so go into your folder and check-) Then just run the update install (you have to download it)

I'm not very registry competent, so I am likely doing something wrong. I don't completely understand your directions. Once I go into the registry and into the folder (key) called "Microsoft Games", I have created a key (folder) called "Age of Empires 3". Inside of this key, is a string created called "(Default)", do I leave this alone? Do then create a key called "1.0", double click on the string "(Default)" and enter C:\Program File\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires 3\Age of Empires III as the "value data"? Thanks in advance.
ItZa
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 03:33 AM EDT (US)     195 / 243       
Note: Once you have that done, you may also get another error about MSXML 4; if this is the case then you should install msxml4msms.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLang=en#filelist

ive done this but it puts me to where i wanna place the files. is there specific place where i place the files?

TheUnknown3dfx
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 08:25 AM EDT (US)     196 / 243       
Thanks for the information Alexandergreat3, without it I could not play AOE3!

After years with AOE2, it is enfuriating that they don't regard Win2000 users important enough to make a minimul effort for us to enjoy this game... the only good thing M$ does!

flamedude
Skirmisher
posted 10-31-05 01:37 AM EDT (US)     197 / 243       
is there any way to play full version on 2k
Masarius
Skirmisher
posted 10-31-05 05:00 AM EDT (US)     198 / 243       

Quote:

is there any way to play full version on 2k

You need to read the thread, check this out.

Check out my blog!
www.masarius.com
MrModem
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 02:31 AM EDT (US)     199 / 243       

Quote:

I'm not very registry competent, so I am likely doing something wrong. I don't completely understand your directions. Once I go into the registry and into the folder (key) called "Microsoft Games", I have created a key (folder) called "Age of Empires 3". Inside of this key, is a string created called "(Default)", do I leave this alone? Do then create a key called "1.0", double click on the string "(Default)" and enter C:\Program File\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires 3\Age of Empires III as the "value data"? Thanks in advance.

Go to the 1.0 folder. Right click and click New->String. Name the string "SetupPath"(without the quotes) and set the value to the path of the game.

Disinherited
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 10:07 PM EDT (US)     200 / 243       
I did that - double and triple checked everything, but the patch still doesn't work. Same error about an old file missing.

[This message has been edited by Disinherited (edited 11-03-2005 @ 10:10 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames