Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.243 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Windows 2000
Bottom
Topic Subject:Windows 2000
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10  Next Page »
Ykkrosh
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 07:03 PM EDT (US)         
"Age of Empires III Trial requires Windows XP or later" - well, okay, except it's lying.

I use Windows 2000, so the installer refuses to run - but I can install on a spare machine that's running XP, then copy the installed files, and it appears to work perfectly well on 2K.

As far as I can see, there's no reason why the installer should be telling me to upgrade. An updated version of the demo, without this bug, would be appreciated. I shouldn't have to mess around so much just to run a game, and if it's not fixed in the retail version, ES has lost at least one sale.

Update: If you have encountered this problem, see post #111 for a way to install the game.

[This message has been edited by Ykkrosh (edited 09-09-2005 @ 07:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
GWC_Banshee_
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 08:01 AM EDT (US)     51 / 243       

Quote:

so I'd agree that's it not worth spending anywhere near as much on compatibility testing and support for it as for XP

Again... The demo RUNS on win2k. The only reason why we cant play it is, because ES made a blocker to prevent Win2k users from installing it. They _invested_ time and therefore money to prevent win2k users to play the demo.
Aioth
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 08:28 AM EDT (US)     52 / 243       
I signed up to voice my irritation at this.

Could anyone in the know tell where it's checking the OS Version from? I've been playing around in the registry, but I'd want more to go on. Hey, you can even email it to me at aioth at xsmail dot com and I promise I won't ask for support.

Ikki
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 08:49 AM EDT (US)     53 / 243       
..and me with win98 should perhaps get lost... ?

Liberals are destroying the world!
LOL AIDS LOL
chumwarm
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 09:13 AM EDT (US)     54 / 243       
most people have xp anyway, at least the people who have the system which can run Aoe3

'I think we agree, the past is over.' - George Bush, Half-Wit
'The atmosphere here is so tense that you could cut it with a cricket stump' - Murray Walker, Motor Racing Legend
'For Winford Park please take the previous junction' - Irish Road Sign
'My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is.' - Ellen DeGeneres, Actor
'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.' - Mahatma Gandhi
DLS
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 09:25 AM EDT (US)     55 / 243       
Sorry but you are mistaken.

As a developer I both develop on W2K en WinXP and I can't tell how one should be better than the other.
We got more compatibility problems between different languages versions of an OS than between 2K and XP.
XP was released a year after 2k as an applaudable effort to draw across Win9x users.
However I can see no reason why I would upgrade my gaming rig to XP since the OS kernels are basically the same.
Especially with Vista approaching.

And all this talk about optimising for Win2K?! Which API's do work on XP that won't work on 2K?

TheExecutor
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 09:35 AM EDT (US)     56 / 243       
Again, this Thread isnt about if WinXP is worth upgrading or if Win98 should be supported!

I just discovered this on a german Newspage (not tested, still downloading the demo), can anybody confirm that it works?

Trying to translate it to english

AOE3 Windows 2000 Workaround!

1. Start aoe3trial.exe

2. It creates a new folder (_is(and some number)) at

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<aktueller Benutzer>\Lokale Einstellungen\temp"
(Don't know what this is with an english Win2k...Maybe C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\temp)

3. Wait for the error message

4. Copy the "Age of Empires III Trial.msi" from the mentioned Temp folder to C:\

5. Rename the file to ao3.msi

6. Go to the command console (START>RUN>cmd) and type:

Quote:

msiexec /a C:\ao3.msi /qn TARGETDIR="C:\blah"

Wait a few moments.

7. Start C:\blah\Age of Empires III\age3.exe

[This message has been edited by TheExecutor (edited 09-08-2005 @ 12:47 PM).]

Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 09:40 AM EDT (US)     57 / 243       
I disagree with the cost feasibility of optimizing for Windows 2000. ES or it could me Microsoft, not sure, is acting as if they are completely foreign systems.

Just as an example; if it costs them $10,000 to optimize for XP they might be assuming it costs $10,000 to optimize for Windows 2000. When they are nearly identical operating systems except one, XP, is configured to allow spy ware to be added to your computer when you use the Internet. I wonder if Microsoft is getting any kickback from spam sellers out there.

So basically, it would not cost nearly as much to optimize for Windows 2000 as it did for Windows XP since they already have the groundwork done. Again, the $10,000 is just a number I made up; I have no idea how much it actually costs.

And those of you who are touting XPs dominance; you are crazy. Overall, XP might be slightly better then Windows 2000. But is that worth the expensive upgrade? I still can't believe people voluntarily upgraded to Windows XP. If you bought a new computer and it came with it that is one thing. But to actually go out and buy it separately. You must have a lot of money to throw away.

At the least I hope ES removes the block from installing the game on Windows 2000.

GWC_Banshee_
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 09:53 AM EDT (US)     58 / 243       
"5. Rename the file to ao3.msi"
ao3.msi or aoe3.msi?
TheExecutor
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 09:59 AM EDT (US)     59 / 243       
ao3.msi

Actually, whatever you write in the command line later.

GWC_Banshee_
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 10:03 AM EDT (US)     60 / 243       
@Executor: Works.Thx.

[This message has been edited by GWC_Banshee_ (edited 09-08-2005 @ 10:05 AM).]

Ganacampo
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 10:05 AM EDT (US)     61 / 243       
What does it do?
Does it make it installable on Win2000?
tHe_GoD
Banned
posted 09-08-05 10:06 AM EDT (US)     62 / 243       
yay! by saying "command line" what do you mean?
cmd? pls lemme know
TheExecutor
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 10:09 AM EDT (US)     63 / 243       
Yes, it's for Windows 2000.
Yes, it's the "cmd" console :P

Edited it to make it clearer

tHe_GoD
Banned
posted 09-08-05 10:10 AM EDT (US)     64 / 243       
i do it but i get an error to open it by setup.exe..

i copied the .msi to C:, renamed it to Ao3.msi then open CMD and wrote that command.. i got an error saying that i have to open ot by setup.exe

Ykkrosh
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 10:22 AM EDT (US)     65 / 243       

Quote:

Which API's do work on XP that won't work on 2K?

From working on this, I'm only aware of minor differences (like GetProcessId and some SEH stuff and the low frag heap); and the effort required to avoid relying on them is almost negligible compared to the effort of writing an entire game . (XP's dbghelp.dll is nice too, but you can redistribute it for use in other versions of Windows, so that's not a problem for W2K.)

Quote:

can anybody confirm that it works?

Confirmed; thanks . As a minor amendment, you can simplify it a bit by running "%TEMP%" (without the quotes) from Start->Run in step 2/4, instead of manually looking for the Temp folder. Also, I had the files in places like %TEMP%\_is32\ (with varying numbers each time), so one should probably look there if it's not in the root of Temp.
darknessoffate
Banned
posted 09-08-05 10:30 AM EDT (US)     66 / 243       

Quote:

@Executor: Works.Thx.

All i can say is ha friggin ha ES.

Im glad you can all use it

TheExecutor
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 11:12 AM EDT (US)     67 / 243       
Ok, I was able to do this myself and it works flawless

@tHe_GoD: Can't help you, sorry.

[This message has been edited by TheExecutor (edited 09-08-2005 @ 11:12 AM).]

tHe_GoD
Banned
posted 09-08-05 11:15 AM EDT (US)     68 / 243       
ok it worked now ;D THX A LOOOOOT
Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 12:31 PM EDT (US)     69 / 243       
TheExecutor,

I copied over the file to the C;\ and renamed it "ao3.msi".

When I got to run the program by typing in msiexec /a C:\ao3.msi /qn TARGETDIR="C:\blah" nothing happens.

I did notice that when I renamed the file it is now essentially "ao3.msi.exe" so the extension didn't change. I don't know a lot about computers but I thought there was a way to change the extension by renaming it or going through properties.

[This message has been edited by Vindicator983 (edited 09-08-2005 @ 12:32 PM).]

WoH_Barbarian
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 12:37 PM EDT (US)     70 / 243       
I did not read all the answers, cuz i'm new and 68 answers are much.
I'm sure Win2k is supported, just look at the release date: it is 2 months away!
Im downloading the demo right now and I will try to install it on Win2k. also I think it's ok that Age 3 is not supporting Win2k, I already decided to buy Win XP soon, but the Problem is, as far as I know WinXP costs about 135. The Game (LE) costs 60 so i have to buy about 200 (USD 240)
And I am 14 and I dont get very much money so I dont know how to get this money for 4th November.

TheExecutor
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 12:39 PM EDT (US)     71 / 243       
Well you can't "see" msiexec working, but if you're opening the task-manager you can look it up at the processes tab (msiexec). It can take a couple of minutes until the new folder and files appear in the explorer...
Have you tried extracting it into an already existing directory? e.g. "E:\Games" (As it was for me)
"C:\blah" Only was a placeholder of course
Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 12:44 PM EDT (US)     72 / 243       
I see, so if I set up a folder on the C drive such as "AoE3 Demo" I should type in msiexec /a C:\ao3.msi /qn TARGETDIR="C:\AoE3 Demo"?
TheExecutor
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 12:48 PM EDT (US)     73 / 243       
That's right.
Just try it

[This message has been edited by TheExecutor (edited 09-08-2005 @ 12:48 PM).]

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 12:49 PM EDT (US)     74 / 243       
Great to see you win2000 users get to play the demo!
Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 12:51 PM EDT (US)     75 / 243       
Alright, I tried that and opened up the task manager. I found the msiexec.exe but it doesn't appear to be active. It has been about 5 minutes since I typed that command in, so far nothing as showed up. I must be doing something wrong.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames