Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.243 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Windows 2000
Bottom
Topic Subject:Windows 2000
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 10  Next Page »
Ykkrosh
Skirmisher
posted 09-07-05 07:03 PM EDT (US)         
"Age of Empires III Trial requires Windows XP or later" - well, okay, except it's lying.

I use Windows 2000, so the installer refuses to run - but I can install on a spare machine that's running XP, then copy the installed files, and it appears to work perfectly well on 2K.

As far as I can see, there's no reason why the installer should be telling me to upgrade. An updated version of the demo, without this bug, would be appreciated. I shouldn't have to mess around so much just to run a game, and if it's not fixed in the retail version, ES has lost at least one sale.

Update: If you have encountered this problem, see post #111 for a way to install the game.

[This message has been edited by Ykkrosh (edited 09-09-2005 @ 07:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 12:55 PM EDT (US)     76 / 243       
Do you think it might be a problem with how I renamed the file. Because if I actually search for the file it shows up as "C:\ao3.msi.exe"
chooch709
HG Alumnus
posted 09-08-05 01:04 PM EDT (US)     77 / 243       
I'm sure this has been said... but nevertheless... if you're not going to support Win2k thats one thing, but at least allow the install to proceed (with a warning rather than stopping completely). I run plenty of games on my Win2k box that aren't officially supported on the OS, and none of them have not allowed installation at all. I understand Win2k is a dying breed, but I'm not upgrading until longhorn is mainstream.

Ah well, I'll play the demo at work, and hope that the final release has made some installer changes. =)

ch00ch|
Talon Karrde
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 01:15 PM EDT (US)     78 / 243       
dude
chooch!

Bah.
TheExecutor
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 01:18 PM EDT (US)     79 / 243       
Vindicator, try this:
- select Start | Settings | Control Panels | Folder Options
- select the View tab
- UNcheck "hide file extensions for known file types"

Then look at the file again with your explorer. The extension HAS to be .msi, NOT .msi.exe

Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
(id: DrNick)
posted 09-08-05 01:28 PM EDT (US)     80 / 243       
What you guys are forgetting that this demo was released early. Not all the last minute stuff is completely worked out yet. So just. chill.

Jesus. You'd think this was the end of the world or something.

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
darknessoffate
Banned
posted 09-08-05 02:06 PM EDT (US)     81 / 243       
nick did you even read the answers? save the idoicy for IA
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 02:25 PM EDT (US)     82 / 243       
I understand that the game will play in Win2K, though it is unsupported but the installer wont let you install it. I get that.

What I'm saying is that the decision to disable installation completely on a non-xp system was probably recently made and they didn't put a lot of discussion into it; they just assumed that if it wasn't supported, why would you install it?

Remember, this is a DEMO. It's not the retail game and as such, stuff like this isn't completely worked out yet and it isn't in its final stage. As you may have read in the replies, ES HAS SAID THEY WILL RECONSIDER. PUT DOWN THE CYANIDE; IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

that is all.

Dr Nick

[This message has been edited by DrNick (edited 09-08-2005 @ 02:26 PM).]

Grendall
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     83 / 243       
Work around works like a charm. So owned.
IIIsherlockIII
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 02:41 PM EDT (US)     84 / 243       
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------ --
It would cost us more to optimize/test/compat/etc on 2K. In the end, it was a decision that was made to streamline the workload and provide the best experience for the largest group of customers. Given the responses here, I'm sure we'll discuss our plan to not let folks install on 2K, but I'm not promising any change.

As far as other XP only games, Dungeon Siege 2 and BF2 (IIRC) come to mind
------------------------------------------------------------ --
Sorry, but this is just not the truth BF2 runs great, yes it runs great on my Windows 2000.
Well and it's quite clear why Dungeon Siege isn't working at 2k, just look at the publisher.
The only advantage that Windows XP has to offer is a nicer view and it's more successful in hanging up and bugging. I had the choice between 2k and xp and I am really happy that I took the right choice (2k) when I compare to many peoples who complain of Windows xp. I think Microsoft just wants to sell as many copies of their buggy xp before they release vista and start over again with the same strategy but then they won't support you guys. -Yes, you guys using Windows xp. Now, tell me: Wouldn't you complain?

I don't ask for support, but at least allow your fans to install the game because I am not going to buy a game of a company which is incapable or just not willing to show that they are still interested in their fans. Sorry, but I am not going to buy this game unless I can install it on my computer.

Sorry, for the hard words, but I cannot imagine to be too hard to just allow us to install the game. What do you get from Microsoft for banning us?

[This message has been edited by IIIsherlockIII (edited 09-08-2005 @ 03:21 PM).]

Ihmemies
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 02:45 PM EDT (US)     85 / 243       
Heh, I still remember World of Warcraft's installer. AOE3 definitely should have some kind of "Install Anyway" button like WoW: http://www.kotiposti.net/ihmemies/tavara/insufficient_cpu.JPGYou never know what happens with future platforms. Vista, for example, may support XP games.. but what happens when AOE3 installer doesn't support Vista? :-)
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     86 / 243       

Quote:

I am not going to buy a game of a firm which is incapable or just not willing to show that they are still interested in their fans.

I'm sorry but that's just not true.

Dr Nick
niranbd
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 02:53 PM EDT (US)     87 / 243       
so it is going to be XP only always?! its with a silly code that can run on XP only or it can work on Windows 2000, but microsoft wants to get money so they made it XP only for no reason?!

im really mad now, i hope someone out there is working on a crack that will fix this BUG!

doitzelkaiseriii
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 02:55 PM EDT (US)     88 / 243       

Quote:

I don't ask for support, but at least allow your fans to install the game at least because I am not going to buy a game of a firm which is incapable or just not willing to show that they are still interested in their fans. Sorry, but I am not going to buy this game unless I can install it on my computer.

You have got to be joking me.

ES is easily the most devoted game developer I've ever seen. They are here constantly conversing with the forummers here and listening to their suggestions and their problems. Maybe you should open your eyes and look around the forums a little. These people have tweaked and fixed their game countless times based on what their fans wanted. Don't come in here and start that crap because they won't support a 5-year-old version of Windows that a very small minority has. I'd like to see the game ported for Mac OSX, but that's not going to happen. Do I accuse them of neglecting the minority of people that are Mac users? No. Why? Because they aren't. It simply isn't practical for them to waste resources on something that's not going to give a big return and will likely delay the release of the game.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
IIIsherlockIII
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 03:13 PM EDT (US)     89 / 243       
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------
ES is easily the most devoted game developer I've ever seen. They are here constantly conversing with the forummers here and listening to their suggestions and their problems. Maybe you should open your eyes and look around the forums a little. These people have tweaked and fixed their game countless times based on what their fans wanted. Don't come in here and start that crap because they won't support a 5-year-old version of Windows that a very small minority has. I'd like to see the game ported for Mac OSX, but that's not going to happen. Do I accuse them of neglecting the minority of people that are Mac users? No. Why? Because they aren't. It simply isn't practical for them to waste resources on something that's not going to give a big return and will likely delay the release of the game.
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------

I never would have chosen this hard words if it was true that it isn't working on 2k but as we saw (open your eyes and look around the forum) it is working. So in my opinion it's not wrong to ask why they don't allow us to play it. I know that ES did a lot for it's fans. But is it fair to expel somebody if the game works on his system? This fact makes me mad. Well, I really hope they will at least allow us to play it.

Let me ask a last question: What about the promisses of the system requirements and all the "they won't be high above what you needed for AoM"? Hey guys, AoM supports even Windows 98.

Again, I am sorry for the hard words but these news are so surprisingly depressing.

[This message has been edited by IIIsherlockIII (edited 09-08-2005 @ 03:47 PM).]

Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 03:42 PM EDT (US)     90 / 243       
Just be glad that the demo came out as early as it did for you folks to discover this. There's still about a month and a half of time left for glitches to be worked out before the retail version is released on the shelves late October.

Perhaps this was done with the demo on purpose to test the waters, and evaluate public reaction.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 09-08-2005 @ 03:43 PM).]

niranbd
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 03:49 PM EDT (US)     91 / 243       
this is replay to:
Just be glad that the demo came out as early as it did for you folks to discover this. There's still about a month and a half of time left for glitches to be worked out before the retail version is released on the shelves late October.
Perhaps this was done with the demo on purpose to test the waters, and evaluate public reaction.
---------------------------------------------------
i dont care that you make it came out early!! i mad that you just did it XP only, becuase it CAN WORK ON 2K!!! you just want to get more rich!!!

and i really hope that you dont thing that im stupid enought to buy a game that i never played even one level of him, becuase that's what demo is all about!!! to look at the game before buying it!

bojack
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 03:56 PM EDT (US)     92 / 243       
I wouldn't be surprised if the full version made it impossible to play this on anything but XP. And if you try to install it on XP and run it on 2K some message pops up saying, "HAHAHA nice try, now go and BUY XP!"

BTW, Dungeon Siege 2 and Battlefield 2 worked fine on my comp running Windows 2000. And so does the AoE3 demo, of course. Thanks, ES and MS, for saving me from...uh...nothing, I guess *shrugs*

Grammar and such go a long way in these forums and I would hate to see heavengames lower it's high standards. - Shala_LoL

[This message has been edited by bojack (edited 09-08-2005 @ 04:02 PM).]

Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 03:58 PM EDT (US)     93 / 243       

Quote:

Maybe you should open your eyes and look around the forums a little.

I think you need to open your eyes and look around the forum. Obviously you don't know what the problem is. Comparing a game, that runs on XP, to being allowed to run on a Mac and Windows 2000 is completely different issues. They are not even comparable. Writing a game for a Mac requires different code, writting a game for Windows 2000 if it already runs on XP, requires a few adjustments, maybe to make it run better. But it already runs on Windows 2000 they just won't let you install it.

Battlefield II does not support Windows 2000, but it will allow you to install it on that OS, and the game runs fine. This is the same issue here.

So why am I still mad? Because I can't get that workaround to work yet and I still can't play the demo, heh heh.

ThePerfectCore
Darker than you
posted 09-08-05 03:58 PM EDT (US)     94 / 243       
So far, from reading this thread, I can tell two things:

-The demo works just fine on Windows 2000 Pro
-In order for it to "work just fine", one has to screw around with editing MSI files or playing musical temp directories.

That's not so much a problem for us computer dorks.

The problem is with those that don't understand what an MSI file is, or does.

I presume that the developer and the publisher are attempting to cut down on the number of support requests they would potentially have to deal with if the game happily installed itself on an "unsupported" operating system.

If it wasn't tested on Windows 2000, but it works anyway... well, uh, what do they tell people when something unexplained goes wrong?

"Sorry we don't support that operating system."
"WELL WTF IT INSTALLED JUST FINE OMG!?!?!"

Oh, and here's a hint: just because it runs on your Windows 2000 system doesn't mean it runs fine on the majority of Windows 2000 systems. Of course, there's no guarantee that all Win XP systems will cooperate, either.

A work-around was created less than 24 hours after the demo was released. I will reserve my opinion of MS and ES until the full game is released. If this "full" game possesses some sort of new "safe guard" against Windows 2000, then I will have to break open a roll of ES toilet paper.

Until then, we shall wait.

ThePerfectCore
"My head asplode."
Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 04:02 PM EDT (US)     95 / 243       
TheExecutor,
Thanks for all your help man. I did what you said and now the file is actually an msi. I have it under the C drive. "C:\ao3.msi". Yet I still can't get it to work.

Here is what I am typing in to the command prompt.

msiexec /a C:\ao3.msi /qn TARGETDIR="C:\AoE3"

The folder I am wanting it to install to is "C:\AoE3", I have checked many times to make sure they were typed in correctly. I'm still not sure what I am doing wrong.

If it helps my OS is Windows 2000 Pro.

Thanks again for all the help.

[This message has been edited by Vindicator983 (edited 09-08-2005 @ 04:03 PM).]

Ykkrosh
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 04:14 PM EDT (US)     96 / 243       

Quote:

I did notice that when I renamed the file it is now essentially "ao3.msi.exe" so the extension didn't change.

Does "didn't change" mean that you were renaming an .exe file? (It should be "Age of Empires III Trial.msi" that you rename, and the extension ought to stay the same.)
WarC
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     97 / 243       
There is some misunderstanding about Win2k here.

Windows 2000 is the faster operating system for games, it is faster than Windows XP. Try it and see. I guarentee you that two exact systems only differing in OS between Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2 will have the Win2k machine come out frames per second on top.

The difference can be made smaller with some careful tweaking of the OS. This is because Windows XP is a more -computer intensive- OS to run than Windows 2000. Everything from the updated UI to the SP2 software firewall draws much more resources from the system.

In terms of underlying architecture, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are practically identical OSes. This was even truer before SP2 for XP came out. They are built upon the same NTFS file format foundation that goes back to Windows NT.

The excuse that Windows 2000 is not "economically viable" to support, beyond the added cost of dual-booting test machines with Win2k for QA testing, is bunk!!!!!!

This is proven by the fact that AOE3 WILL run just as well on any given Win2k installation as any given WinXP installation if one of the two available bypasses are used.

Windows 2000 is simply being phased out inorder to open the door wide open for WinXP and Windows Vista. That is the only economic reason.

The game is pretty fun, though. It's just a shame we need to be fed misleading info.

Just so no one thinks I am BSing, I have worked extensively on Win2k Pro for 3+ yrs on a full-time basis. I help maintain over three hundred corporate systems and up until a few months ago it was my primary home OS as well. I bit the bullet and upgraded to the -slower- but more feature-friendly Windows XP Pro a few months ago.

Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     98 / 243       
When I downloaded the game only one file showed up, aoe3trial.exe

From the original instructions posted it seemed like I was suppose to take this file, copy it to the C Drive and rename it to ao3.msi

Did I miss something?

Ykkrosh
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 04:24 PM EDT (US)     99 / 243       

Quote:

Did I miss something?

Yes - steps 1 to 3 . (Run aoe3trial.exe; wait for it to bring up the error message (but don't click 'OK' until later); then find the 'Age of Empires III Trial.msi' file in 'C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Temp', and copy that file to C:\ao3.msi, and then do the 'msiexec /a C:\ao3.msi /qn TARGETDIR="C:\blah"'.)
Vindicator983
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-05 04:25 PM EDT (US)     100 / 243       
Ahhh, I did them but I clicked ok. I hope that was the problem.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames