You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.40 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » AOE III a dissapointment?
Bottom
Topic Subject:AOE III a dissapointment?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
TTK_GeneralNoob
Skirmisher
posted 11-30-05 11:07 PM EDT (US)         
Anyone else not like the game when they first played it?

For starters, no drop points is very unrealistic.

Next the Grapics are annoying, they may be good, but are they user friendly?

Anyone else not like it at first, but really like it now? I have played it at a friends place, and the first 30mins was horrible, could be that I am just used to AOM?

AuthorReplies:
I Love Bananas
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 02:12 PM EDT (US)     26 / 40       
Has noone played AoM:TT? Everybody who say which games they have played says:
AoE
AoE:RoR
AoK
AoK:TC
AoM
AoE3

but noone says AoM:TT?

Sweet baby maizes!
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 02:24 PM EDT (US)     27 / 40       
i played it

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Shrink
on the trender train
posted 12-01-05 02:29 PM EDT (US)     28 / 40       
It's quite ironic how some random fans feel ES have made AOE3 too different to previous games, while most other people consider it to be almost exactly the same with a few nothing changes; particularly reviewers.

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 12-01-2005 @ 02:30 PM).]

tster123
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     29 / 40       
AoM wasn't good enough for me to buy AoM:TT.
MAKKA_HS
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 03:26 PM EDT (US)     30 / 40       
Lol settle down TTK_GeneralNoob I was not trying to offend u, and I don't see how my example of user friendly graphics is lacking in intelligence? There is nothing wrong with the damm graphics, u need a better computer or just gota get used to the game.

Any way the whole loss of the drop off point thing is a little weird but, yeah, u get used to it and it is better. More simple I would have to say, no need to build new lumber mill just because the tree line has gone back a bit.

I only played AoK and I am a noob to AOE III but it is not a disappointment. I think ES did a pretty good job, user friendly graphics or not

TTK_GeneralNoob
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 05:40 PM EDT (US)     31 / 40       

Quoted from Emporer_Bill:

Its disappointing because it just doesn't fit in with the Age series. Sure it has alot of the same interface attributes and gameplay mechanics, but so many good aspects of Age2 were dropped that it just isn't as "fun" as the earlier games.

Got that from someone in an entirely different post.

Anyway, sorry about all the flaming, I guess I will give the game another try.Maybe I'll have to force myseflf to like it :P

nazutul
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-05 03:51 PM EDT (US)     32 / 40       
I think realism to a certain extent is important in a game because it sets the game in a world where there is a form of "reality" and there are rules to that "reality". Realism grounds the game and makes gives it an overall experience for play. Too much gameplay and not enough realism can scare plenty of people away i.e. If the Atzecs in AoK had gunpowder units a lot people would have been a bit turned away.

However, Game play is an important feature, too. If you sacrifice too much game play for realism, the game loses the fun factor and ends up having very little appeal.

Finding a balance between these two is very important in games. I think this is a bit of the struggle the AoE series has had. When you look at it, AoE has to push many aspects of reality into the background that make a game unreal. Drop points is an example of that, but I agree with most people in saying that I really choose that aspect of game play over drop off point realism. Overall I think ES has done a fine job with AoE3.

gelheadhobo
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-05 04:21 PM EDT (US)     33 / 40       
GeneralNoob, have you not seen the countless other threads bashing AOE III? If not, then I don't think your eyes are too good, explaining your comment on the graphics. Please don't plague us with any more of this garbage and go stand in a corner and think about what you've done.

Does anyone else feel like when they spell pwn with an O they just made a spelling mistake?
Adder
Fallen Angel
(id: The Adder)
posted 12-09-05 05:56 PM EDT (US)     34 / 40       
AoE3 so-so, but the multiplayer is quite fun.

Take that as you will.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper

[This message has been edited by Adder (edited 12-09-2005 @ 05:56 PM).]

Gerrick_Hannar
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-05 08:18 PM EDT (US)     35 / 40       
Personally I think the loss of the drop off points isn't that bad since the Atlanteans in AOM:TT didn't require a drop site.

I liked the game since I got it. Which its only been a week. I ended up getting the collectors edition.

wind_highlander
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-05 09:34 PM EDT (US)     36 / 40       
Played them all. AoC rocks, AoM doesn't rock at all, AoE3 is cool without being out of this world.

No drop off points? Man, that's a scandal! How good you told me about it! I'll toss this junk in the GARBAGE!!

Talking of realistic: why don't they go to the toilett?? I mean, honestly, why don't they go to the woods and...??? That would be REALISTIC!!! Fancy that instead of attrition, they'd have this unavoidable urge to...hm...you know, and that would make you plan your gameplay carefully cause imagine that your general or say, the cannon man, in front of the fort he's supposed to destroy suddently feels the URGE and a bell sounds (like those when a new boat is created or something) and bum, the guy's gone to the trees. And you can't pause the stupid game, no way, and your enemy sees the chance that he's been hoping for and attacks and.... that would add a final, decisive realistic layer to the game that would make it an instant smash hit.

Hey, now don't flame me. This is a free world. Everybody is entitled to his opinion?!?! :c)

[This message has been edited by wind_highlander (edited 12-10-2005 @ 01:02 AM).]

I Love Bananas
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-05 03:01 AM EDT (US)     37 / 40       
You'll have to drop some realism to make the game playable. You always have to.

Sweet baby maizes!

[This message has been edited by I Love Bananas (edited 12-10-2005 @ 03:01 AM).]

Throndie
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-05 04:18 AM EDT (US)     38 / 40       
I enjoy the game in Skirmish mode, haven't had time to get online for multiplayer yet. But I was disappointed with the campaign. It belonged in AoM not a historical game. I think perhaps the campaign designers were still working with mythology in mind, instead of following on from AoK's historical campaigns and battles.
Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 12-10-05 04:50 AM EDT (US)     39 / 40       

Quote:

AOE III a dissapointment?

Yes. ES is no longer my favorite, and I will not be buying any future games of there's unless they score 9.0 or higher. AoE3 was rated low and I can see why.

MoNo Ager
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-05 07:12 AM EDT (US)     40 / 40       
^^^i wouldn't buy a game purely on game reviews if they score 9 or higher. But i'd look on forums like these and look at the features and whats on the game this time round. Or just wait till it's released and see what people say about it.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames