You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.68 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » A Horrible side effect of the cuirassier splash attack
Bottom
Topic Subject:A Horrible side effect of the cuirassier splash attack
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 01-01-06 08:02 PM EDT (US)         
NEVER EVER EVER think that hiding your cav archers behind a wall will protect you from a cuirassier attack

When the cuirassier does siege damage it also does splash damage to your units... and the damage doesn't seem to be effected by resists

I am not sure if that is the case but damn... that is retarded (i still won though :P go cav archers 4tw!)

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

AuthorReplies:
Alex898
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 02:32 PM EDT (US)     51 / 68       
You're all wrong. We all know Christopher Colombus was Black.

[This message has been edited by Alex898 (edited 01-02-2006 @ 02:33 PM).]

doitzelkaiseriii
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 02:48 PM EDT (US)     52 / 68       
I must really suck, because even as the French with Cuirassiers I still tend to do poorly. =/

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Birdy4Birds
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 02:57 PM EDT (US)     53 / 68       
I remembr hearing that curs are slow-try using something anti-calvalry (for goons and cav archers) and some cannons (for anti-calv infantry) mixed in.

A world without nature is a world without life
topace3k-Cuirassiers are like.. some sort of ogre riding an elephant. They wear titanium armor, and have a force field as well. And now, they throw grenades...
Ever wonder if parrots think we are mimicking them?
My ESO2 user name is Arayashiki
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 03:24 PM EDT (US)     54 / 68       
cuirs are not very slow

TGE

Able Company (my job)

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 03:26 PM EDT (US)     55 / 68       
courassier pwn anti cav in large groups

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Birdy4Birds
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 03:27 PM EDT (US)     56 / 68       
I did hear you can counter them with goons, cav archers, and black riders.

topace3k-Cuirassiers are like.. some sort of ogre riding an elephant. They wear titanium armor, and have a force field as well. And now, they throw grenades...
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 04:23 PM EDT (US)     57 / 68       
massing black riders is hard (impossible)
due to the splash damage they also pwn goons and cav archers when there are many cuirassier

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 04:30 PM EDT (US)     58 / 68       
Cav archers will beat cuirs, they are the only anticav that doesn't need a HUGE amount of micro to kill the cuir. it's the 30% melee resist and the fact you can mass them.

Black riders would be great anti cuir units but cuirs can simply swamp the black riders, you can only micro your black riders for so long until you start to need to micro elsewhere...

So solving something by microing better is only part of the solution because a very determined player can keep those cuirs pressing your black riders to the point you have to eventually take your eys off them or risk being attacked elsewhere, once your riders are gone then what.... Dragoons? Ruyters? I'm sorry but the sheer amountof goons and ruyters it takes to fend off a mass cuir attack is something no one can micro... killing 20 cuirs is simple with micro... killing 40-50 is NOT simple and in most cases poor pathing will result in cuirs killing you WAY faster than you can kill them.

And don't bring your goons in confined spaces like trying to defend your city, then cuirs WILL get to them easily and smite them with great vengence and furious anger.

40 1000hp cuirs with 70 attack is NOT something a dragoon force can stop... even with a meat shield.

TGE

Able Company (my job)

Clam_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 04:35 PM EDT (US)     59 / 68       
-It seems that the biggest problem is that they have that splash damage thing going on...it's like they're always in trample mode, but don't suffer from any of the side-effects. They should just take away the spalsh damage. Because, if you think about it...the Doppelsoldners have their 'sweep' attack which damages multiple units, but has fairly low attack. Compared to the Cuirassier, which has a massive attack and the area damage...

"Fool, I have auto-dialing!" -Techno Bill
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 04:45 PM EDT (US)     60 / 68       
Well the problem with micro is ranged volleys don't seem to slow units down where as melee attacks DO slow units down, so cuirs have a built in mechanism to slow dragoons down, all that needs to happen is 1 lone cuir hit a dragoon and it will slow the whole pack down enough for the rest of the cuirs to hit the goons... then is over...

I played a game the other night where a huge pack of goons tried to bump and run a pack of 35-40 cuirs... 1 dragoon got caught in a tree got hit by a cuir and slowed all goons near it down... then it was just massacr... I mean the frenchie lost 2 cuirs and the brit lost every last goon he had... he had at least 50 FU goons at like 450hp vs the 1000hp cuirs... no math on earth will allow the goons to win :P even at 2 shots from goons per 1 shot of a cuir the goon will lose...

Now let a pack of ruyters get hit by curs ROFL they die in like 2 swipes... 150 ruyters gone in 20 seconds... LOL There was a forum game where Adder sent in a massive amount of cuirs and just destroyed like 100 ruyters... the dutch player tried to micro but once he ran out of open space and ran into his own town he couldn't get away from the cuirs... a pure cuir army destroyed 3 players armies of anticav... wow I was shocked :s I still feel bad for the other team because they were winning until Team adder came in with his cuirs LOL

TGE

Able Company (my job)

Birdy4Birds
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 06:04 PM EDT (US)     61 / 68       
That would be fun(ny) to see-can you post the link?

And i thought that you microed with a SMALL group of units, NOT fifty of them (I am pretty sure that's called marco)

Philbo1
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 09:55 PM EDT (US)     62 / 68       
OK people lets face it: Cuirsa have absolutely no counter whatsoever. A force of 40 Cuirs can wipe any army whatsoever straight off the map. And I mean instantly. I note that RoN was much MUCH better balancedd than AoE3 even without the team of playtesters constantly at work. ES seems to be slipping, albeit slowly, toward lame games.

The RoL forum colors make me sooo hungry.
-Unit Costs for 5-Philbo1-Explorer Micro-
B_E looks like a demented evil smiley.-Botolf

Stonewall Pwns
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 10:02 PM EDT (US)     63 / 68       
BHG had El_Capitan and Nydar and Microslave and like the best freakin dream team imaginable :P

TGE

Able Company (my job)

Insane Sheep
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 10:51 PM EDT (US)     64 / 68       
I celebrated when I killed a Cuirassier with Musketeers in Ag2. I think I killed about 5 in total... (note I normally would not be fighting Cuirs like that, but I entered a suicide game (two high-level frenchies, on Great Plains, with a newb ally))

Cuirs are nasty.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.

[This message has been edited by Insane Sheep (edited 01-02-2006 @ 10:53 PM).]

Alex898
Skirmisher
posted 01-02-06 11:45 PM EDT (US)     65 / 68       
40 Cuirs vs. a line of 10 Ronin and a bunch of Jinete Dragoons behind them = Best Counter (I love you ports!)

[This message has been edited by Alex898 (edited 01-02-2006 @ 11:45 PM).]

ngchunghin
Skirmisher
posted 01-03-06 00:15 AM EDT (US)     66 / 68       
I think swiss pikeman can counter cuirassier.

Hand damage: 22 (x5 vs cavalry)= 110

They can kill hussar with extremely fast speed.
I think it might be useful.

Btw, I usually call them to attack buikldings becoz they have decent siege attack.

flying_red_hippo
Skirmisher
posted 01-03-06 06:49 AM EDT (US)     67 / 68       
I want friendy fire splash:-). Imagine the curs just trampling themselves to death. And then we then open up with cannon to take out your pikes they kill the curs who then ride back and slaughter their own cannon for attacking them. Then when your cannon open fire all of your own pikemen die and then I come and and destroy what remains of you 2!(I wish:P)

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.-Dune
Data: Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.~
Even if you do go into a coma, you can still keep posting to Usenet -- everyone else does.

La Mia Stupido Cosa

[This message has been edited by flying_red_hippo (edited 01-03-2006 @ 06:52 AM).]

Iwanus
Banned
posted 01-03-06 09:42 AM EDT (US)     68 / 68       
Quote:

Cuirassiers are like.. some sort of ogre riding an elephant. They wear titanium armor, and have a force field as well. And now, they throw grenades...

Ceres, you forgot that they are nuclear powered!

Damn! The game is going to end in everybody french massing currasiers!!! NOOOOOOOOOo!!!! 11

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames