You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.38 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Would you like the deck card limit to be increased? Any new ideas for new cards?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Would you like the deck card limit to be increased? Any new ideas for new cards?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-11-06 03:40 PM EDT (US)         

This thread is just to see how many players would like the deck card limit to be increased.

Would you like the deck card limit to be increased to 25? Or even to 30? Or is 20 enough?

Do you have any ideas for new cards?

What do you think about “Super Card” match where all the cards in our decks are 3 times better?
This means that instead of 3 villager card you would get 9, instead of 600 gold you would get 1800 gold, and instead 8 crossbow units you would get 24 of them.

AuthorReplies:
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-06 03:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 38       
no, no, no and no

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Out Reach
Skirmisher
(id: newreach268)
posted 01-11-06 03:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 38       
nerfing dec sizes for specific civs might be a good idea, would french or ottoman men seen so strong with only 15 cards? would dutch and portugal be seen stronger with 25...

New cards... well dutch need more colinal militry cards.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-06 04:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 38       
lol no!
StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 01-11-06 04:45 PM EDT (US)     4 / 38       
Nope. 20 is enough. Sometimes I don't even use all 20. If anything make it 15. But 20 is good. The HC is just a little boost, no need to make it bigger.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
ca_aok
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-06 04:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 38       

Quote:

What do you think about “Super Card” match where all the cards in our decks are 3 times better?
This means that instead of 3 villager card you would get 9, instead of 600 gold you would get 1800 gold, and instead 8 crossbow units you would get 24 of them.

That would be unbelievably sick, but you'd run out of wood soooo quickly building houses to support the hundreds of free units pouring in

|Ca_aok|HG Seraph wannabe|
|{ca_aok@hotmail.com}|
|{ESO2: [EEX] ca_aok}|
O-- Member of EEX, and former member of LKS --O
In the Darkness, there is Light, in the Old, there is New.
From the Void a New Star rises, Shining down for Me and You.
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-11-06 05:48 PM EDT (US)     6 / 38       

Quote:

Come on guys, use your imagination.
Don’t you want to play something different once in a while?

A “Super Card” match works similar to a “Death” match, with the difference that we get big boosts to our economy or army every few minutes.
The strategy would have to be different, and it would allow for a very fast game play paste.

raaman
posted 01-11-06 05:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 38       
No, no, and no. ZOMG TEH OtTOMUNS CAN GAT THE NINE PEONS IN TEH AGE ~1 AND DEN GETS TEH 15 JANNISarIES BY TEH FEFTH MINUT!

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-11-06 06:06 PM EDT (US)     8 / 38       

Quote:

OtTOMUNS CAN GAT THE NINE PEONS IN TEH AGE ~1 AND DEN GETS TEH 15 JANNISarIES BY TEH FEFTH MINUT!

Every Civ can get similar units.
That should not be a problem.

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-06 06:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 38       
Well, crossbowmen need to stay out of jan range or they will fall to them.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
raaman
posted 01-11-06 06:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 38       

Quote:

Every Civ can get similar units.
That should not be a problem.

Every civ gets similar units now. Is it a problem now? Besides, that would mean civs like russia would never be able to defend against the otto rush since they get no villy cards. The Ottoman would have a superior economy AND military.

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3

[This message has been edited by raaman (edited 01-11-2006 @ 06:39 PM).]

Mark_Aurel
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-06 07:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 38       
20 cards is enough IMO.

What I would like to see in terms of adjustments to decks might be something along the following lines:

* The ability to change decks in-game. Once only, as part of the upgrade to Imperial, or maybe as an Imperial tech. Imperial is supposed to be a huge advantage, after all, but right now, all it does is give you the ability to spend a huge amount of resources to buy some hugely expensive techs.

* Some kind of wildcard feature -- basically a card that lets you play any other card in your deck twice, or maybe even pick any card from your total selection. Each civ might have a variable amount of such cards, available by and tied to age (i.e. an age 2 wildcard can play other age 2 cards again), and costing a certain amount of resources to play.

* A random deck feature. Previous Age games featured random civilization selection. Due to the nature of AoE3, that's not possible here. However, I don't see any problems with programming a feature to make up a random deck from among the cards available to a player. It would require more quick thinking and less build-order-orientedness.

<Witty signature goes here.>
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-11-06 07:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 38       

Quote:

that would mean civs like russia would never be able to defend against the otto rush since they get no villy cards.

Or they can just rush the otto with 39 sterlets after 5 min.

It just like math, everything is multiplied by 3 = same ballance.

You can take 2100 gold in colonial, and train many units (can trade some gold in the market if you have too).

Stop being so negative, keep an open mind.

Besides, it would be fun playing that in single player.
Don't play that in multiplayer if you think this will cause ballance issues.

blast flame
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 07:24 AM EDT (US)     13 / 38       
Here's an Idea you can also create a side deck that contains up to 10 cards. These cards however cost two shipments. You could also create a extended side deck that could contain up to 5 cards with each card costing 3 shipments.

Most other cards are put in the extra deck. Each card in this deck only costs one shipment. Sound too good to be true? It is. To get these cards you must first get to the Imperial age, build a capitol and research "great profits." You can then get one shipment from the extra deck. "Great profits" can be researched infinite times but it's cost will go up by 10% each time.

Some cards will be marked as main deck only|side deck only| extended side deck only|extra deck only|main or side deck only|main or extended side deck only|main or extra deck only|
side or extended side deck only|side or extra deck only|
extended side deck and extra deck only|main, side or extended side deck only|main, side or extra deck only|main, extended side or extra deck only|side, extended side or extra deck only.

I have also been messing around with the idea of a super powerful trump card that you can only have one of. It would cost 5 shipments.

side deck idea v1.0

tster123
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 07:29 AM EDT (US)     14 / 38       
no to every idea in this thread. moshelevi, you always come up with some very creative ideas, but noe of them sound appealing to me or most people.
FriedPegasus
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 10:01 AM EDT (US)     15 / 38       
I wish they'd do something to make the cards no one ever uses viable. Change them to church techs or something. A lot of those things seem kind of neat, but they just aren't going to make it into a deck of 20.
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-12-06 12:51 PM EDT (US)     16 / 38       

Quote:

no to every idea in this thread. moshelevi, you always come up with some very creative ideas, but noe of them sound appealing to me or most people.

That is too bad, tster123,

I have been working as a computer consultant (programmer/analyst) for 20 years, and I also have my own software company (for 12 years).
I have developed software tools for programmers and have some major companies who purchased them from me.
95% of the time when I call programmers from other companies and tell them about my software, they don’t want to hear about it, and don’t think it can help them.
Only 5% of the people are open for new ideas and they are the ones who try my software.
Once the other 95% see how the software works and try it too, they cannot do without it, and the company purchases the software.

My point here is that the vast majority of people are not open minded and too skeptical, no offence.
You will never know unless you try.

JimR
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 12:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 38       
I actually would like to see 25 cards.
tster123
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 12:54 PM EDT (US)     18 / 38       
95% of computer gamers are not computer programmers. (warning: I made that statistic up) so while you may be a damn fine cunsultant and software engineer, that doesn't make you good at designing video games.

back on topic: I think 20 cards is perfect. 25 cards allows for to much flexibility in a single deck.

[This message has been edited by tster123 (edited 01-12-2006 @ 12:55 PM).]

MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-12-06 12:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 38       

Quote:

that doesn't make you good at designing video games.

You may be right, but then again - you may be wrong.
After all, how would you know?

Edit:
Besides, the “Super Card” match that I suggested in this thread is an optional game type.
Just like death match, it may not be for everyone, but it will be something different to try.
The Programming effort for such game type would also be minimal.

20 cards deck would work for most games due to the fact that they are short (less than 30 min).
However, a 25 deck can be nice for longer games as it gives you more game play options.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 01-12-2006 @ 01:03 PM).]

JimR
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 01:07 PM EDT (US)     20 / 38       

Quote:

25 cards allows for to much flexibility in a single deck.

I still do not see the issue. How is more flexibility a bad thing?

I have one civ with 59 cards but can only use 20. Once I get to level 106 i'll have 120 cards(?). The difference between 20 and 25 is not that much. Adding flexiblity in strategy and gameplay sounds interesting.

Shizzle
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 01:07 PM EDT (US)     21 / 38       
moshes idea to multiply the cards with 3 sucks. Point of colonial fighting is good micro. Whoever has good micro wins (mostly). You take that out if you multiplie everything with 3.
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-12-06 01:17 PM EDT (US)     22 / 38       

Quote:

idea to multiply the cards with 3 sucks

Shizzle,

Don’t you get the fact that this is being suggested as an additional game type (like death match)?
You don’t have to play that kind of game if you don’t want to.
This game type could be fun for single player, and maybe even for 2v2 online (because such games are too slow sometimes).

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 01:20 PM EDT (US)     23 / 38       
really 6 factories isnt a good idea.

and i doubt you have experience balancing a game. more cards per deck would be imba

MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-12-06 01:30 PM EDT (US)     24 / 38       

Quote:

really 6 factories isnt a good idea. …..more cards per deck would be imba

You may be right about the balance, but remember that this game is just for fun (mostly for single player).
If players want to play that kind of game online, then it would go under the “custom” category, which doesn’t mean much.

6 factories would give you unlimited resources, which would make the game a “death match” at that point, and you would still have limited number of cannons due to the population limit.

Edit:
One more thing to keep in mind.
The deck cards are far from being balanced.
Balanced cards means that all cards in every age are worth exactly the same.
That is not the case right now.
Mercenary cards are worth much more than other cards.
For example, 21 mercenary card in age 4 is probably worth 5000 resources (250 for each unit), and you pay only 1200 gold to get that card.
That is 3800 free resources.
None of the other cards in age 4 give you that much (like the 1600 gold).
So this is a clear imbalance, yet nobody has complained about it.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 01-12-2006 @ 01:45 PM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 01-12-06 01:46 PM EDT (US)     25 / 38       
the ammount of mercs would be ridiculous.

and more cards per deck removes strategy.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames