You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.40 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Ratings are Ruining The Game - Rant - Read At Own Risk
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ratings are Ruining The Game - Rant - Read At Own Risk
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Psychlone
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-06 00:38 AM EDT (US)         
So long as there are ratings, be it 1600 ratings, miltary ranks, or even the humble win/loss ratio, people will act in dishonorable ways to rate high. It's simply human nature. If something is at stake, there are those who will cheat. To me, cheating for the sake of a digital number on the internet is baffling. I guess the motivation is to prop up sagging self-esteem, or to intimidate other people. Where I grew up, we have words for people like that. We call them "posers" and "wannabes," amongst other things I could get banned for using here.

This is a game. G-A-M-E. It's not a sport, it's a game. Monopoly is a game. Does your family keep a chart of who's won every game of Monopoly ever played in your house? No. (And if by chance they do, I really pity you and your family) The purpose of a game is to amuse ourselves for a time. Sure, we all like to win, but mostly we play to have fun. "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." That little sportsmanlike saying seems to be all but forgotten in the world of online gaming. Apparently most online gamers are out to be leet, and pwnz0r the opposition.

I'm getting sick of people who lag games out, or cause out of sync errors to prop up their precious win rating and their fragile little egos because they got BEATEN. I like to win, don't get me wrong. But I'm not going to resort to cheating behavior to win, it's just not worth it.

And you might say, if winning doesn't matter to me, if I play to have fun, then I should know I won even if the other guy cheats, so what difference does it make? Well, I'll tell you why it makes a difference. It makes a difference to me because I'm not a great player, but I don't suck, either. Oddly enough, this makes it very hard to find a game! People of lower ranks often kick me out of games because they think I'm too good. People of higher ranks often kick me out because they think I'm not good enough, or something. maybe they kick me out because they're afraid I might beat them. God knows I've seen plenty of games with titles like "Noobs only" hosted by people with higher ranks than me, higher win percentages than me, and more experience than me. And they kick me out, obviously because they feed off noobs to inflate their rankings.

And so I beg of ESO, make the game fun again. Get rid of the rankings. Get rid of the win percentages. Get rid of the incentive to cheat. I have no problem if the server tracks such information for one's private knowledge, but making it public turns it all into a "my **** is bigger than your **** contest" and takes all the fun out. I realize the stats and rankings are unlikely to go away, so let me rephrase my request. Give us the ability to play unranked games. If we don't want to be ranked, why must we be ranked? I demand my right as a paying customer to not have my **** size proclaimed for anyone who wants to see.

If I remember right, original AOE had ladder rooms and non-ranked rooms. The sharks with the gotta be leetzor mentalities can play ranked, and the people who want to play just for fun could do that too. And if a shark wanted to play an unranked game and school some less hardcore just-for-fun types, it was all good. And oddly enough, I don't recall ever seeing an unranked AOE game go out of sync.

Mark my words. If ESO makes unranked play areas, they'll be used. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

AuthorReplies:
Alex898
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-06 00:43 AM EDT (US)     1 / 40       
I agree. But then again im sure everyone already knew that XD.
The Bob
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-06 00:43 AM EDT (US)     2 / 40       
mark my words this has been said and said again until the cows come home and absolutly nothing will ever change it so do yourself a favour and move on
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-06 00:48 AM EDT (US)     3 / 40       
click handicaps, just dont give handicap, problem solved.....

also if you dont care about your rating ect and someone does this to you does it really matter? You know you won, good for him, he really didnt win...

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • [This message has been edited by Mokon (edited 03-18-2006 @ 00:50 AM).]

Psychlone
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 00:50 AM EDT (US)     4 / 40       
    Why thank you Mokon, that's a very interesting idea. I think I'm going to start a non-rated revolution.
    timmac
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 00:52 AM EDT (US)     5 / 40       
    dont hassle him, everyone goes through this stage, just keep playing, and keep focusing on the things you can control, like your mirco, strats, etc, and eventually you will improve and stick it to em, these kids who try and decieve the game don't get better.
    MacDuff
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 00:57 AM EDT (US)     6 / 40       
    I thought they fixed the OOS (Out of Sync) and drop trick nonsense?
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 01:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 40       
    OOS will nvr go away..... You fix an error and 20 more will pop up.

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Mark_Aurel
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 01:17 AM EDT (US)     8 / 40       

Quote:

This is a game. G-A-M-E. It's not a sport, it's a game.

So are the Olympic Games.

I don't disagree that there's a lot of players of this game that need to exhibit more sportsmanship, though. That there are a lot of immature players out there that prefers the shadow over the substance is clear enough. That doesn't mean the substance of competition is worthless, however. This game is at its most fun when you play an evenly matched, intense match.

There is no contradiction between 'game' and being rated or playing intensely competitive. Poker is a game too, but people often play that for money. Real stakes. Money tournaments in games like AoE3 are also becoming increasingly common.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree when you're complaining about the system itself rather than the scrubs who prefer the illusion of being good to actually being good.

<Witty signature goes here.>
    LembasBread
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 01:23 AM EDT (US)     9 / 40       

Quoted from Psychlone:

It's not a sport, it's a game. Monopoly is a game. Does your family keep a chart of who's won every game of Monopoly ever played in your house?

Hmm... I believe sportd are games too. I do not think that video games are any less important or more important than sports simply because sports are more generally accepted. Nevertheless, there are those who cheat at everything even if it isn't all that important to them. There are just those kinds of people and your post that complains about them will do nothing to change this.

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

Senor Bobbers
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 01:32 AM EDT (US)     10 / 40       
    Pysch I agree with you absolutely positivly undeniably... yeah you get it. I think its for the best just to get rid of ratings. Judgement, thats the continual sin that just never ceases to loosen its hold among people. With things like these silly ratings, people will automatically judge you when in fact the rating is controversial and contradictory towards many factors not displayed in those 2 digits. Hell I suck at playing in general, but I like to play.

Though sports act the same way, now I'm not much a sports fan, but I know the good from the bad. (judgement yet again) You constantly see violent fights and other such nonsense about sports games and during sports games, its like, it makes you think: what the hell is wrong with these people? Its just a game man, and I don't see how anyone cannot realize that. Stakes, okay, now I believe if something that was intended to be fun should start concerning objects of importance then whats the point of having the game around any more? If people are going to consider the game so important (life or death) then they should really see the frickin' light. But hey like some dude said, this competitive thing will never end. People will find some way to judge you, one way or another.

NemesisHunter
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 01:44 AM EDT (US)     11 / 40       
    You can't get rid of ratings. The more active portion of the gaming community would really not like this very much at all. Also,how much fun is it to play against someone whos really good? Trust me, its not fun at all. Like say, if I was in a 1v1 game with Mokon, only I didn't know who he was. Well, I really don't find it too much fun to be stomped to oblivion by a near expert player. This rating system atleast gives you the chance to say "whoa, level 40 brigadier, I probably should either prepare for an butt kicking or just not play him."

It also prevents you from going into a game and having the opposite happen. I enjoy playing noobs even less than I enjoy playing experts. I'd rather play Red_Cloud again than play some 0 win% guy who has played like 10 games.

The best games are ones that are evenly matched. Experts play other experts because they enjoy the thrill and challenge it presents. Noobs make noob only games so they don't get stomped to pieces. 20% players boot 80% players for the same reason. Its all jsut there in your best interest. Put the few bad experiences you've had aside and look at the bigger picture, with no rating system, you would RARELY get an evenly matched game.

Ratings, however indepth or miniscule they are, are there to help insure that you play someone of your own skill level, be that a total noob or a money earning pro.

xentelian
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 02:07 AM EDT (US)     12 / 40       
    Damn, it is not looking like I will make Captain.
    Someone must pay.
    I was planning on making a career out of this and moving out of my momma's basement (21 taunt)
    arnitald
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 02:34 AM EDT (US)     13 / 40       
    In my opinion climbing up a ladder is fun. And if you are having fun you don't have to cheat.
    Pagasaeus
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 02:51 AM EDT (US)     14 / 40       
    Yep, I agree. The ranking ladder makes it a lot more interesting to play. However, the win% needs to go!

From what I've seen, cheating is rare in AOE3. It happens in less than 1 in 20 games.

ScotsHighlanders
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 02:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 40       
    Just build up a list of players that play the game right, dosen't matter if you lost or won against them and before you know it, you'll have a good group to play against or team with.

"The Measure may be bold, but i am of the opinion that the boldest are the safest". Lord Nelson, HMRN, March 24,1801
    "We always have been, we are, and i hope always will be detested in France", Lord Wellington
    jaafit
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 04:18 AM EDT (US)     16 / 40       
    2 Steps to a better ESO:

1 Improve quicksearch so that teams can be auto-matched by rank, just like AOM

2 Hide the rankings.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
    Qazitory
    HG Alumnus
    posted 03-18-06 04:42 AM EDT (US)     17 / 40       
    The problem with playing with handicap on is that you don't gain XP, if I remember correctly. Changing the game speed or starting age makes the game non-rated but still gives you XP.

Before renouncing all ratings and how they should be gotten rid of, just consider the fact that if we had no rankings, getting even games would be a lot more difficult. Uneven games are frustrating for both players. The worse player probably has no fun getting beaten right at start and the better player gets bored with no challenge.

Sure the ratings have their downsides, but the pros far outweight the cons.

Quote:

out of sync errors to prop up their precious win rating

I've never had anyone sync out of the game O_o

Qazitory
    AoE3 rating: Qazitory
    My AoE3:TWC mods: QazUI - Treasure - Main Menu - Low Lag HC - Deck selection
    Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.
    nidhog_slayer
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 05:27 AM EDT (US)     18 / 40       
    i used to think that no ratings=good when i only had played scenarios on aom, and my supremcy totally sucked.

whitout ratings, if everybody would be just plain same, game would be totally suxor, think about joining game, seeing someone acting totally noobish, and when game starts you notice that he is expert, and there were no wway to predict that.

Also i dont want to waste half of my games to play whit noobs...

Adam42
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 05:59 AM EDT (US)     19 / 40       
    Rating is very important, assuming it's accurate, it can help you play players at your own skill level and give you an idea of how good you are. As for win % that is just utter nonsense and does NOT represent your skill level in the slightest. There will always be players who will use hacks and drop tricks to get more wins (regardless of whether there are rating systems) but thankfully they are the minority. Just forget it and move on.
    Angel Walker
    Skirmisher
    (id: Just a player)
    posted 03-18-06 07:06 AM EDT (US)     20 / 40       
    I'm almost sure handicap gives you XP... if not, use the FFA option when playing a 1vs1

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
    "Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
    Yoshiii
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 12:56 PM EDT (US)     21 / 40       
    rating shouldn't be removed. it's fun to play and get a rank etc. it shows how good you are. who cares people go out of sync just so the game doesn't count. you won, you played the game for fun, so what's the point?
    aka99
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 02:10 PM EDT (US)     22 / 40       
    I say ratings should stay. It gives you a goal to strive for...
    RedSpikeyThing
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 02:22 PM EDT (US)     23 / 40       
    All ESO needs to do is make it optional to have your rating shown. A little check box in your account settings that says "publicize my rating". For those who choose not to have their rating shown, they can still have the benefits of fair mathcups because their rating is being tracked, but not publicized.
    redletter2345
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 03:06 PM EDT (US)     24 / 40       
    Psychlone I have been where you at and thats where the multiplayer for this game falls short there just arent enugh people playing on eso and the majority of people who are seem to be very pickey and rude. I can remember one night where I tryed to find a game for half an hour and all the noobs kicked me out of there games cause I had to much xp but the rooks wouldent play me cause I dident have enught I finaly asked some rooks how can I get xp if no one will play me? so for a while to build xp I did something I thought I would never have to do since I left the starcraft universe a comp stomp it was just plane sad. But now I can play rooks so its all good, in closing this is a great game and eso isent that bad its just the multiplayer community that causes this game to fall short.
    Adam42
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-18-06 05:42 PM EDT (US)     25 / 40       
    It's not like the community is especially bad on ESO. With practically any online game you're bound to find some immature little kids that like to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and act like complete dicks.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames