You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.176 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Can french get a REAL bonus?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Can french get a REAL bonus?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Jumbalaya
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-06 08:29 PM EDT (US)         
Sending a card does not = a bonus.. Howbout give them a boost to their natives WITHOUT sending the damn card!! Same goes for dutch and bank cards -_-

lol im jumby
AuthorReplies:
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 06-22-06 08:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 176       
That if you can call a Native Combat Card (w00t! 10% bonus!!1 Iriquois pwnag3!!1)...

IMO France is just a bad designed civilization... They were more cool when WWs weren't OP and you could mass Cuirassiers any game. -.-

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
brandnizzle
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-06 08:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 176       
if we gave a french a real bonus ES would have to do something productive. thsi thread should be closed due to a dumb topic.
Senor Bobbers
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-06 08:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 176       
What a fast built economy, strongest cavalry in the game and great unique cards not enough for you? They have 2 cards for natives, and natives are already strong (though expensive) so the cards are better than you think.

EDIT: BTW, sending a card is a bonus if no other civ has the card.

[This message has been edited by Senor Bobbers (edited 06-22-2006 @ 08:40 PM).]

vbscript2
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-06 11:01 PM EDT (US)     4 / 176       
Curs seem like a good non-card bonus to me...
Jumbalaya
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-06 11:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 176       
A unique unit is NOT a bonus.

lol im jumby
KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-06 11:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 176       
yeah it makes no sense.
btw courers are their bonus.
which makes no sense at all because germany can have 3 UU's and still have a bonus but france has 1 UU and their bonus is the other one?? wtf? makes no sense...

either give them some native bonus or let them start with +100 wood.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 06-22-06 11:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 176       
There is also the native scout....
Real2002
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-06 11:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 176       
They can't even get more native scouts at will where Spain can make more war dogs and dutch can make more envoys. Weak...

ESO: Steel_Reign

*Doles out the harshness*

Senor Bobbers
Skirmisher
posted 06-22-06 11:59 PM EDT (US)     9 / 176       
lol maybe the french explorer should be able to make native scouts lol. (they cost like 90 wood though i think)
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 00:14 AM EDT (US)     10 / 176       
native scouts are better than envoy.

french is almost OP on Texas, where age2 is relatively safe and french player can easily get 70% of the cows.

Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 02:36 AM EDT (US)     11 / 176       
Look it up... one of the french bonuses is strongest cavalry in the game, one of them is the CDB, one of them is natives which I agree is sort of wasted atm. The reason the cdb is a bonus and not JUST a UU is that every other civ gets settlers, and coureurs are far superior to settlers in every way. Uhlans are not supposed to be the best cavalry unit in the game, neither are cossacks which is why they aren't considered bonuses as such, but coureurs ARE supposed to be the best villager in the game, and they always will be, because that's their bonus like it or not. And it is a pretty awesome one you have to admit, send pioneers, great coat, and the nootka tech (if it's there) and you get cdbs with 450 HP, which are virtually unkillable by any raiding.
sandman666
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 05:15 AM EDT (US)     12 / 176       
but free uhlans / free tc's / faster shipments / manor boom / block traing vils / free tradepost > coureurs
GreatViet
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 06:21 AM EDT (US)     13 / 176       
i think french is ok no need for bonus, wen Germ and Port get nerfed, or wen dragon get nerfed ur cur and art can own the battle field ^^. coures working rate is 25% more than a settler but the actually number should be like 30% more not 25%. why ? reason.coures has 4.5 speed compare to 4 of settler ^^ and much higher range attack mean they shoot those deer faster and move faster to gather reasouce . it become even more important later wen u use mill and plantation which force vill to move arround A LOT so i think french is cool. just need to nerf those OP civs and they have no thing to complain
OpenAmp
Banned
posted 06-23-06 03:35 PM EDT (US)     14 / 176       
CUIRASSIERS ARE NOT A BONUS. they are an age 3 unit, cost 300 res, and 3 pop space. just because you got wtfpwned on great plains with NR 45 by cuir spam does NOT make them either OP or a bonus.

the natives cards suck. an entire shipment for 10%?! that's only like 10 HP and 2 or 3 attack. that's GROTESQUE.

cdb are not a bonus either. they are just as suseptible to raids because the 40 ranged armor is usles against melee cavalry.

Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 04:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 176       
I would take 40% ranged over 20% melee any day of the week. Like it or not, think they are wasted or not, the french bonuses are as follows:

-stronger villagers more resistant to attack - they undoubtedly are
-strongest cavalry unit in the game - cuirs undoubtedly are
-better alliances with natives - this one is indeed wasted

If you think these should not be the french bonuses go complain and ask ES to remake the french civ, but as it stands at the moment, those three are THE french bonuses.

PS: dutch settlers costing coin is one of the dutch bonuses (my personal favourite lol), spain getting one more RG unit is one of their bonuses, the fact that you can increase the spawn rate of ottoman settlers in the mosque is an ottoman civ bonus, russia starting the game with less settlers and more crates is a civ bonus.

MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 04:23 PM EDT (US)     16 / 176       
give them 20% cheaper trading posts (200 wood) and +100 starting wood

Abus Guns and Grenadiers ARE NOT ARTILLERY!
MNBob's AOE Page
brandnizzle
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 04:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 176       
WW's are the strongest cav in the game, btw.
Real2002
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 04:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 176       
Uhhhh... another one of these threads.

Quote:

And it is a pretty awesome one you have to admit, send pioneers, great coat, and the nootka tech (if it's there) and you get cdbs with 450 HP

OK... I think all civs can do the same thing and still get their settlers up to 375 hp. It's still gonna suck to try to raid settlers under those conditions, and every civ (I think) can do it. Cdb are only slightly better than regular settlers if you look at the whole picture. But whatever. That argument is getting old. What I agree with is:

Quote:

-better alliances with natives - this one is indeed wasted

That is what bothers me about French bonuses. Cards are dumb.

"Hmm? Should I ship the 10% card while my opponent ships the 10 pike card. Hellz yeah!" Because even if you send that card, you gotta shell out all the resources to make your natives. If they actually gave the French a native bonus besides that one killable scout and some crappy cards, then I think they'd be cool. Maybe like a more intense native unit shipment for Fortress and Industrial? Get 10 native units or something?

KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 05:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 176       
if french could ship natives like regular units it would be really cool

like card=

Ship 10 Seminole Sharktooths (age 3)

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
Real2002
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 05:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 176       
^ Exactly. As it stands now the French native cards are about as good as gathering rate cards. You have to spend the money on a TP and then on the units plus a card. That's not going to outweigh a straight unit or resource shipment for quite a while. So what kind of bonus is that?

OpenAmp
Banned
posted 06-23-06 05:17 PM EDT (US)     21 / 176       

Quote:

dutch settlers costing coin is one of the dutch bonuses (my personal favourite lol)

looks like someone just kicked their credibility in the crotch.

lol

MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 05:21 PM EDT (US)     22 / 176       
They aren't even as good as gathering rate cards IMO. Improving units that have a small build limit is a waste of a card. French should have just received one or more of those card effects as a civ bonus instead of requiring the cards.

Abus Guns and Grenadiers ARE NOT ARTILLERY!
MNBob's AOE Page
xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 05:42 PM EDT (US)     23 / 176       
I think sandman pretty much stated it the best by each civ bonus. If you do the math, hell even test the coureur vs settler, it is only about 5% more gathering effectiveness. My french civ is worse than my dutch even. The other civs are more on par, except for the "won't mention" OP
sandman666
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 06:12 PM EDT (US)     24 / 176       
no it's 20% or 25% dunno really but that isn't an advantage since they are more expensive and take longer to create.
the only advantage of coureurs is more resistant to raids which is the crappiest civ bonus imo apart from dutch crappy expensive gold vils. and more pop effective vils but that only matters lategame
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 06-23-06 06:22 PM EDT (US)     25 / 176       
Jumbalaya, Did you get this from me? I posted this a few month back about how I thought they need a real bonus. :P

(over at agesanctuary)

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer

[This message has been edited by Ossian (edited 06-23-2006 @ 06:35 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames