You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.63 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » What this Expack *should* have been
Bottom
Topic Subject:What this Expack *should* have been
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Mythos_Ruler
Skirmisher
posted 03-16-06 00:12 AM EDT (US)         
Now, some of you would tell me to "shut up and take it" but what I am doing here is being a little more in-depth with how this expack could have been a great great game.

What the expack should have done was expand upon the colonization aspect of the game. To do this, advance the time period of the game an additional 25 years up to around the year 1875 (give or take). What the expansion would have covered was the colonization of Africa, India, and Asia by the Western powers.

"Wow!" you say, "Way too much territory to cover in one expack!" But not really if you take it in a broad context of global colonization. Although these were seperate areas, having their own significant events, they were all tied together under the banner of European expansion and colonialism.

The campaign would take a group of intrepid explorers across the continent of Africa, founding settlements and making contact with the native tribes and kingdoms. You are then taken about an East India Company ship to India where you have many adventures. Lastly, the player goes to Asia, where European powers are struggling with the United States to open up the vast East Asian realm to commercial exploitation.

The number of Random Map opportunities astounds, as does the variety of possible "native" civs the player could align themselves with. Not only that, but with such a globetrotting colonial theme the possibility would exist to bring in any number of new playable civs that would not have normally been probable with an "American Continent"-only expack.

List of new Playable Civs:
Belgium
Italy
Sweden
The United States (yes, this is now possible)

(Incomplete) List of new "Native" Civs:
Maasai
Tutsi
Mali
Zulu
Pushtan
Hindus
Chinese
Japanese
Koreans
etc.

New custom scenario opportunites would explode, as well as the possibility of very cool new units available only in the last age, like gatlin guns and ironclads. Not to mention new native units like Samurai, Zulu warriors, elephants, ninja, etc.

In closing, it is inconceivable to me with such a huge success on their hands that is Age of Empires III, that ES wouldn't have put it's best foot forward on expanding their top selling game in a manner similar to(not necessarily exactly like) what I have outlined. It is my hope they will reconsider their "1 expack only" policy and expand upon and supporting with greater gusto their award winning (and extremely profitable) game and its stellar theme.

AuthorReplies:
BloTo
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 11:18 AM EDT (US)     51 / 63       
i seriously prefer the current idea of TWC to any of the ones posted.

Eso: scuzz
Natus
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 02:11 PM EDT (US)     52 / 63       

Quote:

I still hold my point that a second X-pack is possible, and that could add Asia and Africa for colonization.

It's not and it won't. But I still hold my point that the Easter Bunny is possible, too.

Quote:

Well, I would like to see world colonization, but not in this game...

Umm, OK, I'll bite: in what game then, seeing how this game deals specifically with colonization?

Novoa20
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 08:36 PM EDT (US)     53 / 63       
Considering the ways things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if AoE4 is going to deal with African/Asian colonization.

Quoted from Natus:

But I still hold my point that the Easter Bunny is possible, too.

Nah, he got killed by Santa Claus(Popularity issues, bunny messed with Santa, and Santa went wild on the bunny).

Custergrant
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 08:51 PM EDT (US)     54 / 63       
All I know is that if ES doesn't put out some kind of AOE game(XPack included) with Italy in it, I'll be pretty mad. I thought Italy had a lot of potential and so forth.

Quote:

Considering the ways things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if AoE4 is going to deal with African/Asian colonization.

Me neither. That probably is the way they are going to go. Because if they make AOE4 about the 20th century, that really wouldn't be any fun. There are too many games that deal with that time zone now anyways. There wouldn't be any interesting UU's. Plus with all the world wars and advances in technology, it just wouldn't work very well.

Co-Leader and Founder of the Eye-Candy Guild
Head of Research and Development for the AOE3 Editor
Designer's Mod Co-Creator
Official Story Writer of Wherever

Come join the Guild!

Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 09:13 PM EDT (US)     55 / 63       
AOE3 will have units from Italy in it. They will be mercenaries.

AOE4 will have Italy in it has one of the civilizations to play, so no worries.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Welcome to Life, your vacation from nothing.
Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 00:31 AM EDT (US)     56 / 63       
While I'm aware that you have absolutely no evidence from ES to back you up, I have a feeling you're right in both cases. At least, I certainly hope that you are.
lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 08:24 AM EDT (US)     57 / 63       
Didn't Sandy confirm that both those nations had merc units in the expansion? I know he said Italy did.
Novoa20
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 05:41 PM EDT (US)     58 / 63       
Yes, he said that the units that had been made for Sweden and Italy were going to be used as mercs.

And yes, as I have been thinking for a while, ES does seem to be directing their fourth game towards African/Asian colonization.

Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 06:17 PM EDT (US)     59 / 63       

Quote:

While I'm aware that you have absolutely no evidence from ES to back you up, I have a feeling you're right in both cases. At least, I certainly hope that you are.

Well, Sandy did say that the there would be an appearance of Italian and Swedish mercenaries (just one per nation). The units were the original unique units of these nations for AOE3, but since the Swedes and Italians didn't make it into the game, they will at least add the units to this game as mercenaries.

Quote:

And yes, as I have been thinking for a while, ES does seem to be directing their fourth game towards African/Asian colonization.

I think the forth will involve the both the first and second Great Wars, or just the second.

Custergrant
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 10:15 PM EDT (US)     60 / 63       
I don't think so, since there are so many other games out there that fall in the period and theme. I'm still hoping African/Asian Colonization or maybe the Civil War. Or at least up to WWI.

Co-Leader and Founder of the Eye-Candy Guild
Head of Research and Development for the AOE3 Editor
Designer's Mod Co-Creator
Official Story Writer of Wherever

Come join the Guild!

Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 01:57 AM EDT (US)     61 / 63       

Quote:

55) Do you think ES will make on AOE game into the modern era or start an entirely new series?
A I think the next Age of Empires game will either go into the 20th century or go back to the beginning with ancient Egypt etc. But this is just Sandy predicting.

Taufiq Khan
Skirmisher
(id: Shala_T)
posted 03-21-06 03:13 AM EDT (US)     62 / 63       

Quote:

But this is just Sandy predicting.

Or so he wants us to think
Nice find

★★★★★
Mythos_Ruler
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 12:28 PM EDT (US)     63 / 63       
I'd want to see a game at least taking us through WWI. Something like 1860 - 1920 would work well. After that, then yeah, reboot the series with a remake of AOE1.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames