You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.55 replies, Closed
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Why not a black civ?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why not a black civ?
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
J_Sorel
Skirmisher
posted 06-21-06 03:39 AM EDT (US)         
The native civ will be OK, but I think that a black one would also be suitable. The Zulu or Mandigo would fit in the game. It is the colonialist era, isnít it?

The harsh matter is slavery. Black slaves did take an essential part in the development of European colonies in America. In some places like Cuba most workers were black, not European or native. And why not an ďAmistadĒ ship besides the privateers?

I think that blacks would complete the realistic character of the game.

AuthorReplies:
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 06-29-06 02:41 PM EDT (US)     26 / 55       
No russia...... well..... then how about Ottoman?
Smertios
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-06 08:11 AM EDT (US)     27 / 55       
Tell me one Asian Civ who colonized america...
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-06 12:33 PM EDT (US)     28 / 55       
technically, russia....
chode messiah
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-06 05:24 PM EDT (US)     29 / 55       
if you want to get into semantics, u could say that the native americans originally came from asia over the land bridge in the bering strait.
Smertios
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-06 06:00 PM EDT (US)     30 / 55       

Quote:

technically, russia....

Technically, russia is euro...

lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-06 08:07 PM EDT (US)     31 / 55       
Some people would argue China...might have, maybe, possibly, briefly had a camp on our shores. More would argue against the theory but you can't definatively say it didn't happen.
Novoa20
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-06 08:21 PM EDT (US)     32 / 55       

Quote:

Technically, russia is euro...

Russia is a very varied country. As an empire it also had several peoples. So sure, Russia can be considered Euro, but that doesn't take out that they can be considered Asian also.

The Ottoman Empire is also Asian, but one can also say its middle eastern.

So the actual question would be, why isn't there an East Asian Empire?

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-06 10:52 PM EDT (US)     33 / 55       

Quote:

The Ottoman Empire is also Asian, but one can also say its middle eastern.

Well ther is the little idea that middle eastern is asian.....

But ya, your last comment was right.

iLord
Skirmisher
(id: Lord Iarune)
posted 07-02-06 11:12 PM EDT (US)     34 / 55       
Can't this thread just be closed? There is NOT going to be any black civ in the expansion and that's just how it's gonna be...deal with it. Three American natives are good enough.

׺°˜`°º×ALL HAIL THE UNCLELAND!׺°˜`°º×[/ind]\

[ind]Help to reveal the Dumbo Conspiracy to the World!

Selim
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 01:35 AM EDT (US)     35 / 55       
Well I imagine there is no African civ because ES descided to be politically "correct" and alter history so as to sell a game that would not offend anyone. I must say that I lost most of the respect that I ever had for ES after hearing about the ex pack. The fact is that if ES actually had kept true to options that were historically viable then they would have added the Austrians as a new civ along with a country representing the Balkans and perhaps another representing another smaller European power. At least they didnt completely screw up and add Asian civs... that would have been a complete disaster.

Note: Also if ES were to add an African civ they would have had to add in maps from Africa and base part of the campagn around Africa.

Denny Crane
Quinarvy
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 01:53 AM EDT (US)     36 / 55       
Then don't buy the x-pac

For Austrians and others, look at the mod section.

And someone mentioned a SLAVE card...why would ANYONE do that *sane people anyway*

Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 08:28 AM EDT (US)     37 / 55       

Quote:

The fact is that if ES actually had kept true to options that were historically viable then they would have added the Austrians as a new civ along with a country representing the Balkans and perhaps another representing another smaller European power.

I really don't see what makes playing as Balkans and Austrians any more "historically viable" than the Iroquois Confederacy during this time period.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 12:24 PM EDT (US)     38 / 55       

Quote:

The fact is that if ES actually had kept true to options that were historically viable then they would have added the Austrians as a new civ along with a country representing the Balkans and perhaps another representing another smaller European power.

So, you are saying it is more realitic, historically speaking, to add nations that were not involved in the new world, at all, rather than adding people who were there?

Anyways, if they added European civs, I think it is safe to say Sweden (who did colonize the new world, before being beaten by the Dutch) and Italy would have been in, as they were two that just barely didn't make the cut for the origional. And a third one realistic would be Denmark (who colonized the US Virgin Islands and still have Greenland). At least two of those three are more realistic than Austria (which is officially included with Germany, as it represents all the German States) or any country from the Balkans (much of which was under Ottoman rule during much this timeperiod).

Yamato Take
Prince of Tennis
posted 07-03-06 04:20 PM EDT (US)     39 / 55       

Quote:

Anyways, if they added European civs, I think it is safe to say Sweden (who did colonize the new world, before being beaten by the Dutch) and Italy would have been in, as they were two that just barely didn't make the cut for the origional. And a third one realistic would be Denmark (who colonized the US Virgin Islands and still have Greenland). At least two of those three are more realistic than Austria (which is officially included with Germany, as it represents all the German States) or any country from the Balkans (much of which was under Ottoman rule during much this timeperiod).

Poland was going to be the third choice.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
iLord
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 05:20 PM EDT (US)     40 / 55       
Was it really? YES!! I designed a Polish civ on wordpad, and I still have it, but when I found out that there were going to be native civs, I didn't post it.

Anyway, I love Poland. Most of my heritage is Russian and Polish, but mostly Polish. Did Sandy or any ES staff member actually say the third choice was going to be Poland?

Yamato Take
Prince of Tennis
posted 07-03-06 07:10 PM EDT (US)     41 / 55       
Well back in the heyday when most of the speculation of the Warcheifs was in the Future ES Games Forum, we thought it was most likely that the three civs from Europe would be Sweden, Italy, and Poland. The civ should be there if you search under Poland or Polish in subject.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 08:20 PM EDT (US)     42 / 55       

Quote:

Poland was going to be the third choice.

Well, Denmark would still be more realistic (i.e. they had colonies in the New World)
iLord
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 10:34 PM EDT (US)     43 / 55       
Poland was much more powerful than Denmark during the time. The Ottomans never colonized America, but were added because of their power. The same would go for the Polish.

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 11:06 PM EDT (US)     44 / 55       
True (at least for the first half of the timeline), but I was responding to the comment that adding Austria is the only way to remain realistic, so I suggested a civ that colonized the New World and isn't part of a Civ already included.
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 11:18 PM EDT (US)     45 / 55       
Uhh .. shouldn't we call them African American?

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
iLord
Skirmisher
posted 07-03-06 11:21 PM EDT (US)     46 / 55       
Uhh .. shouldn't we just close this topic because it has been known for a long time that no Afircan American civ will be in the game. Case closed. Saint Iarune has come to drive the pointless conversations out of AOE3H.

Yamato Take
Prince of Tennis
posted 07-04-06 10:23 AM EDT (US)     47 / 55       

Quote:

Sigh.. the term African American is not the best that could be used. When you say that term you mean that everyone is black just becuase they're from Africa. South Africans are white, Egyptians are Arab, and to associate rival countries as the same based on them being on the same continent is offending to some. It's not really bad at all to say black, because that's the color of their skin.

There's my little rant.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 07-04-06 12:41 PM EDT (US)     48 / 55       
And we can't say African-"American" if we are talking about their own civ, because they would not be from America but rather whatever nation they would be representing. African-American is a term for a citizen of America that has ancestors from Africa.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Novoa20
Skirmisher
posted 07-04-06 11:16 PM EDT (US)     49 / 55       

Quote:

The fact is that if ES actually had kept true to options that were historically viable then they would have added the Austrians as a new civ

LOL.

Austria?????

Germany is already there to represent Austria anyhow.

But Austria as a civilization itself is pretty senseless for this game.

Quote:

along with a country representing the Balkans

Serbia??

Not a very good option either also basically considering the Ottomans had most of the Balkans in their command.

Quote:

and perhaps another representing another smaller European power.

Why represent as smaller European power when (Order of importance in my view, althought Italy or Sweden could go first):

-Italy could be represented.
-Sweden could be represented.
-Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth could be presented.
-Denmark could be represented.
-China could be represented (Not very realistic, but it could hold some basis like the Ottomans).
-Mughal Empire could be represented.
-Japan (Not very likely though).

Even Austria-Hungary would have been amusing in there.

Quote:

At least they didnt completely screw up and add Asian civs... that would have been a complete disaster.

lol.

Quote:

Nope.

Quote:

Saint Iarune has come to drive the pointless conversations out of AOE3H.

That's very nice of you Iarune, but I'm thinking the moderators are going to close this once they feel it's time.

Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 07-04-06 11:39 PM EDT (US)     50 / 55       
All Americans would be represented as "African-Americans" if you wanted to be politically correct, for most historians agree that all humans originated from Africa.

Screw politically correctness. If you offend someone, that's not your problem. It's the person who takes offense who has the problem, and if he or she cannot deal with it, then he or she is not only weak, but also unfree.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Welcome to Life, your vacation from nothing.
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames