You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.37 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Something I think people have overlooked
Bottom
Topic Subject:Something I think people have overlooked
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
The Anti Elmo
Skirmisher
(id: Led)
posted 09-04-06 12:37 PM EDT (US)         
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires_III:_The_War_Chiefs

Quote:

The European civilizations will receive a new building called a saloon to hire random mercenaries

According to what I know you can hire merceneries according to the map your on. The thing is though, unless you have limits on them, there is nothing to stop someone from spamming mercs. This could really cause balance problems, though it might benifit the Dutch nicely. I also heard they are getting a card that lets them train privateers from their docks.

This being said, does anyone know a time the past when they (ES)really screwed up? I remember the great Norse over-nerf of AoM but that wasn't anything too bad.

"My fort was razed by cougars."

[This message has been edited by The Anti Elmo (edited 09-04-2006 @ 12:39 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
franman114
Skirmisher
posted 09-18-06 00:23 AM EDT (US)     26 / 37       
well saloons will just make dutch more extreme

dutch depend on luck a lot

now its just will i get an early rush before i can get banks up

now it will be will i get rushed before i get mercs and maybe a revolution

i think people will rely on booming for saloon mercs too much

and then you need more luck to get good mercs cuz its random

..........but if your plan works you will win

so dutch will be op AND up just depends on the game...... nothing will change cuz its like that now anyway

theboywonder916
Skirmisher
posted 09-24-06 02:53 PM EDT (US)     27 / 37       
I dont know if there is any "Sandy-spoken" information to contridict this, but i always figured that saloons would be the same as indian trade posts. there will be like 2-5 per map, each one you can build a specific merc and there is a limit, around 10 or so, and that limit may go up if you have more of the corresponding saloons under your control. to me that sounds like what i think AOE is going to do for mercs. So yeah the dutch may be able to continue making mercs after revolting with their factory/banks, but only like 10-15 mercs at a time. and not to mention that the mercs will probably count towards your pop and be expensive, unlike indian warriors from trade posts.
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 09-24-06 04:37 PM EDT (US)     28 / 37       
NOpe, you build it where-ever, there is no build limit on units etc etc...
Jumbalaya
Skirmisher
posted 09-24-06 05:02 PM EDT (US)     29 / 37       
It would be a better idea if you had to buy the mercinaries in groups. Like I would be forced to buy 10 for 1k gold.

lol im jumby
Xilujdo
Skirmisher
posted 09-25-06 06:59 AM EDT (US)     30 / 37       
I don't know if this has been explicitley mentioned here before, but you gotta remember that those mercs are different units like outlaw riders, blowgunners and those type of guys, not the actual mercs that you get from the hc ( I'd like to see some of these there as wel tho, would be very cool).

And I think the mercs are more likely gonna be useful in early to mid game, when you can afford a saloon, your opponent doesn't have spies or ninjas yet and you got a lot of free pop space. I just guess they'll more likley train quite fast and act as very strong units in the battle. In lategame, I dunno if they'l be that great, especially if they don't have any upgrades and you need most pop space for other things.

The implementation of mercs like this kinda reminds me of mus in aom, that were very strong against all normal units but got countered very hard by heroes (now spies). It sounds cool, escpecially if this will add like "a new dimension" to the armies, not just the current counter system that is somewhat like heavy inf>cav>light inf with cav>cannons>inf, so we also woul dhave mercs>>>normal units>spies>>>mercs

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 09-25-06 09:51 AM EDT (US)     31 / 37       
Mercs are Mercs. In AoE3 a merc is defined as a unit that can be shipped from the HC costing a shipment and gold.

A outlaw/pirate is an outlay/pirate. They are human treasure guardians.

Both of the above are available at the saloon. Initially one of each are available, random for the former while map specific (or at least partially so) for the latter. After the dance halls card is sent, I believe it makes more units available, but I am unsure how many or what.

[This message has been edited by say1988 (edited 09-25-2006 @ 09:53 AM).]

AuxiliA MieS
Skirmisher
posted 09-28-06 12:32 PM EDT (US)     32 / 37       
Ninjas in a saloon sounds like shanghai noon to me.

M3 15 ur l0rd 4and m45t3r. Y0us4 g0tt4 d0 wh4t 1 t3ll y3r.
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 10-02-06 05:35 PM EDT (US)     33 / 37       
For technical reasons, the mercs you get out of a saloon are actually different units (in the database) from those you ship from your HC. However, they have exactly the same stats, are priced the same, benefit from the same techs, etc. If you train mamelukes at your Saloon they should seem identical to those you ship from your HC.

Now, the outlaws you can train at a saloon ARE different from the treasure guardians, though again, they look the same.

Brocktree101
Skirmisher
posted 10-02-06 05:40 PM EDT (US)     34 / 37       
Can you give examples of units?

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that loyal to them, here we lie

Heed to Sparta, that on this hill, we lie loyal to them still

Go tell to Sparta, what you have read, that loyal to them, we lie now dead...

Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 10-02-06 06:00 PM EDT (US)     35 / 37       
Why remake the same units in the database exclusively for training in the Saloon? Why not just use the units that were already in the database?

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Welcome to Life, your vacation from nothing.
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 10-02-06 06:12 PM EDT (US)     36 / 37       

Quote:

Why remake the same units in the database exclusively for training in the Saloon? Why not just use the units that were already in the database?

I think its because then you can set a limit to them or change their pop cost, so they are not abused

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 10-02-06 06:18 PM EDT (US)     37 / 37       
Oooh! Yes, that makes more sense.

Welcome to Life, your vacation from nothing.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames