You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.61 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Is there a civ you refuse to play with?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is there a civ you refuse to play with?
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Y3AH
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 01:30 AM EDT (US)         
Well, if there is a civ you'd rather not play with.. please say which one and why.

For me, this would be the Ottomans. I think the fact that you don't need to que vills makes them too easy and noob-friendly to play with. All you really ever need is a 50/50 ratio of Jans and Abus, throw some spahi into the mix and then all you'll ever need is good micro. I have much respect for those who are innovative with the turks. but this is just how I feel (eventhough they aren't anywhere near being the strongest civ)..

Back when I first started playing Aoe3 I immediately went for Ottomans, of course I would.. I am a turk myself (/me looks with pride into the mirror)- But, I soon discovered (when I changed to Dutch) that it really didn't enhance my skills.

Well, I used to be 1900/2000 on Elo but.. I haven't played Aoe3 since March and what do I know.. things might have changed and I'd like to know what has actually changed. The funniest thing I've thusfar read is that Brits and Russians are OP atm and Germans UP.

A little reminder: Please do not flame one another, as it's really just a matter of opinion. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Y3AH (edited 10-16-2006 @ 01:32 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
The Anti Elmo
Skirmisher
(id: Led)
posted 10-16-06 03:22 PM EDT (US)     26 / 61       
My civ is Portugal, and I think it always will be, but I've tried every civ, my newest being Spanish. Making multiple TPs as Ottoman and Jan swarming wasn't my thing (it worked though). Britain was just too dull for my taste. Russia was discouraging to see hordes of troops obliterated by artillery. Germany was nice but too vulnerable.

I can't wait for the x-pack, I think I'm going to rack up a huge amount of games as Aztecs.

"My fort was razed by cougars."
F1RE_FLY
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 03:32 PM EDT (US)     27 / 61       
Spain.
Brits in team games currently.

and any civ that is OP in the current patch.

~иииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии~
ESO: F1R╔_FLП
~иииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии~
URdownfall
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 03:43 PM EDT (US)     28 / 61       
i will never ever play with:

ottos: they are so lamely easy to play...plus at lower lvls they can boost your cuetech rating by over a 100 points b/c of the easy and power of thier rush

Ports: they have to be the most boring civ there ever was...ES really did a crappy job designing them, they doomed them to turtle and boom until they reach Industrial which may take a good 30 minutes, and they have absolutely no flexibility with thier strats EVER. All they can do is turtle/boom up too Industial.

Y3AH
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 04:58 PM EDT (US)     29 / 61       
Heh, seems to me that the majority dislikes playing with the Ottomans.

Quoted from ultimitsu:

]when you win with them, you feel crap, when you lose, you feel even worse lol.

lol, that's so true.

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

Port troubles? What exactly is the problem? Perhaps we (resident forum junkies) can help.

Don't really know, I have posted several threads conceirning this problem on Agecommunity.com. I only have one computer at home so I don't use a router, thus having problems with the ports seems impossible (unless you know something I don't know, I'm a real computernoob). The only thing that I can think of is that I can't play online because I have an illegal *cough* copy of Windows.

Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 05:37 PM EDT (US)     30 / 61       
Well there are the basics.

What exactly happens when you try to connect to ESO? Any error messages? Etc.

Is Windows firewall turned off?

Do you use DSL or Cable? If it's DSL, do you have a modem that also acts as a router (you'd need to ask your ISP, it's not common but some do that)?

Do you use Windows 2000 or Windows XP? Because win2k won't allow you to get on ESO.

Are you using a software firewall?

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
JarlNick
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 07:11 PM EDT (US)     31 / 61       
The Spanish. There's just nothing about them that excites me. Lately I've been going for the more interesting, like the Dutch.

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

ALAMO23
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 07:22 PM EDT (US)     32 / 61       
i would pick the Ottoman
becuz when u pick them thier trade center queuing the villagers all the time
which wastes population room.>.<
KingsRansom
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 07:29 PM EDT (US)     33 / 61       
French - are my Most favorite to play in all situations
Ottos/Ports - bore the crap outta me
German/Russian -are fun in ffa or team games
Spanish - are fun to fool around with cause of thier massive unit selection
Dutch - i never really tried, i did once but just kinda stopped after that, even though it was a win.

In the end Otto/Dutch/Ports would be the ones i would not like to play. I usually sit there hitting my head against my desk when i play one of them.

"Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken." - Adolf Hitler

Proud citizen of Sovietcanuckistan.

~92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.~
TarsTarkas
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 07:30 PM EDT (US)     34 / 61       
why would you not want to que villagers all the time...?

" Studies have shown that people who say "Gameplay>Realism" are less likely to find girlfriends or lead a successful, rational life in the real world.

To see these studies for yourself, please click here."

~ Cy Marlayne

[This message has been edited by TarsTarkas (edited 10-16-2006 @ 07:31 PM).]

KingsRansom
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 07:34 PM EDT (US)     35 / 61       
what else would you do if u wanted to lose!?

"Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken." - Adolf Hitler

Proud citizen of Sovietcanuckistan.

~92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.~
Myth_dracon
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 08:54 PM EDT (US)     36 / 61       
I find it difficult to play as the Russians and Dutch. Russians because their gameplay style is not like mine at all, and their skrelets, while they look impressive and are cheap, are worthless pop space fillers until sufficient HC improvements have come by.

Dutch, meanwhile, are too defensive for my taste, with some weak military units. :S

Y3AH
Skirmisher
posted 10-16-06 11:53 PM EDT (US)     37 / 61       

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

What exactly happens when you try to connect to ESO? Any error messages?

I have 3 types of errors:
* The game just totally freezes.. I can't even close the game and my only option is to shut down my PC.
* Failled to connect to servers
And finally,
* The game doesn't support your version (this has only occured once or twice).

Quote:

Do you use DSL or Cable? If it's DSL, do you have a modem that also acts as a router (you'd need to ask your ISP, it's not common but some do that)?

I use DSL, however - I don't know whether my modem acts as a router or not. I will try contacting my ISP as you've adviced.

By the way, I have pretty much tried everything that has been mentioned in AgeCom's faq. The mods over at Agecommunity eventually gave up on me and said that I should consult: "The Age of Empires III Solutions Center and/or MS Support."

Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 02:55 AM EDT (US)     38 / 61       

Quote:

i would pick the Ottoman
becuz when u pick them thier trade center queuing the villagers all the time
which wastes population room.>.<

:/

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 08:09 AM EDT (US)     39 / 61       

Quote:

in my opinion, ottoman economy is one of the hardest to handle.

You're joking right?

I hate playing with any civ that most people think is lame/OP. I didn't play with French 1.03 but now that they are balanced they're my favourite civ.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates
meowies
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 08:15 AM EDT (US)     40 / 61       

Quote:

in my opinion, ottoman economy is one of the hardest to handle.

what is hard about setting gathering points?

if anything port has it hardest

Gato
Skirmisher
(id: GatoFedorento)
posted 10-17-06 08:31 AM EDT (US)     41 / 61       

Quoted from ArchDruid:

Portuguese - I grew up in a town full of Portuguese immigrants, I've heard enough of that accent to last me a lifetime

What's the matter with the Portuguese language?

Long live early music.
Krppan
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 09:55 AM EDT (US)     42 / 61       
Russia, can't stand them. Period.
Zongo
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 10:34 AM EDT (US)     43 / 61       
ze Germans, they lost enough wars already

also starting to dislike portugese a bit
they really miss something and are limited in strats

now that I learned a few new brits strats (forget about booming!), I just love their powah

Nezahualcoyotl
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 10:34 AM EDT (US)     44 / 61       
I'm probably not going to play as Sioux for a while, I'm not a huge fan of cav ( aside from Cuirassiers, but everybody loves those )

"People react to fear, not love - they don't teach that in Sunday School, but it's true"
MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 10:49 AM EDT (US)     45 / 61       
The first civ I ever played was Russians. I then switched to Portugal. I then switched to Spanish in preparation for whichever patch (1.04?) decreased the effectiveness of Otto and French. Once that patch made Spanish OP, I stopped playing as them.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment and just don't play any civ that is supposedly OP.

However, more than "what civ do I refuse to play as" I actually get more concerned about "what civs am I tired of playing AGAINST". Boredom with seeing the same strats/civs caused me to quit playing for the past few weeks (2 games in about 3 weeks).

So which civs do I dislike playing against?

In 1v1, it's Ottomans only because I still struggle against them using my main two civs (which are now Ports and French). But I don't play 1v1 very often.

In 2v2, I'm EXTREMELY tired of playing Otto/Russian just because I see it so much.

In 3v3+, I'm tired of seeing British and Russian players since your team basically has to have one of those civs in order to compete.

Abus Guns and Grenadiers ARE NOT ARTILLERY!
MNBob's AOE Page
justiw
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 11:02 AM EDT (US)     46 / 61       
Civs I don't like to play:
Germany
Russia
Spain
Portugal

I just find their units uninteresting. Which is why I really like the Ottomans.

On the side topic about the ottomans, their eco is a challange because you have so few villagers early and the auto-que isn't perfect. Aside from the advantages from silk road and schooner booming here are some weaknesses the ottomans face.

1. Villagers take forever to spawn, so you rely on shipments a lot and you have to be almost perfect in defending raids because every vil is absolutely crucial.

2. If you hit pop cap for any reason, your vill won't spawn. This really sucks, because if you miss one you have to wait the entire train time for the next one. It happens a lot in heavy fighting and at the 25 vill cap.

3. If you don't have a TP your eco is screwed. If you don't build a TP first thing you will always be behind. If your enemy destroys your TP you will have trouble rebuilding it, and if you don't rebuild it it's gg.

Counter the attack, then Counter Attack!!!
tesloid
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 11:37 AM EDT (US)     47 / 61       

Quote:

If you hit pop cap for any reason, your vill won't spawn.

I find this extra annoying when playing Otto because you get no warning that you're housed. It happens silently in the background.

sorry name taken
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 12:18 PM EDT (US)     48 / 61       
what annouys me about the ottos is that you can't stop vil production and it just eats away all you're pop space when you really nead it for mitlitary. I might have stood a chance in that game i played today if i had enough free pop space to defend myself(from two players spaming me) and to attack their baces... the dutch have a big advantage here, they get 50 extra pop space. Dutch rule!
i probably won't play the russians or the french. just can't stand them.
Pale Horse
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 12:23 PM EDT (US)     49 / 61       
I will not play the British, Dutch, French, Germans, Ottomans, Portuguese or Russians.

NOOB'XPERT wannabe
Wabbitkiller
Skirmisher
posted 10-17-06 03:59 PM EDT (US)     50 / 61       
Spain, Brits, Ports, or Germans. Three of them because the strats are lame, Ports because THEY are lame.

I proetty much play Dutch exclusively, so It's not like I'm into laming or naything lol.

Y3AH, I'm sure you've already tried all of the above, but:

1. Make sure that all of your device drivers are up to date and current, especially the video and sound drivers.

2. You version of Windows shouldn't be the issue, assuming that it ISN'T Win2k like Ender Ward mentioned previously. XP DOES have a built in firewall however, and you need to make sure that it is OFF.

start with those two, and if you've already ensured that it is NOT #1 or #2, let us know so that we can look at a couple of other possibilities.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames