You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.32 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Janey the Pet Jaguar, both useful and useless
Bottom
Topic Subject:Janey the Pet Jaguar, both useful and useless
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
poita
Skirmisher
posted 10-31-06 07:00 AM EDT (US)         
Janey the Pet Jaguar
HP: 190
Damage: 10 with x3 to guardian and x0.1 to settlers
Cost: 225 food

Janey the Pet jaguar is a pet made available to the Aztecans through shipments. There are shipments that simply give you a few jaguars and a shipment that enables your war chief to produce them.

In Discovery Age you can ship 4 pet jaguars. On any treasure heavy map I will always send this shipment first. The jaguars do 30 damage to guardians and have 190hp, which means that you can literally get every treasure on the map (except those stupid explorer HP ones that are guarded by 8 pirates or something equally ridiculous). Also, they pay for themselves very quickly, I've had my 3rd shipment ready by 3:30 on several occasions just by killing treasure guardians (no, I didn't have anyone on the gift dance before you say anything.) Also, you mass such a huge army of rescued and converted animals that you can even help significantly in fending off rushes.

That's the useful part, now for the useless part. Aside from the actual jaguar shipments there is a card that enables your explorer to build more Janeys... for 225 food each.

What the hell is that!? 225 food for something with 10 melee attack! I think a quick comparison to the Spanish war dog is necessary:

War Dog
HP: 85
Damage: 18 with x0.25 to settlers
Cost: 75 food

The war dogs cost exactly one third of a jaguar. So what do 3 war dogs look like?

3x War Dog
HP: 255
Damage: 54
Cost: 225 food

So there, for the same cost you get 65 more HP, 44 more damage (!) with 24 more damage to guardians. Not to mention that the War dogs can see stealth and you don't need to send a card to build them.

The 4 jaguars in age 1 shipment is simply amazing, IMO it's the one of the best Aztec cards. Aparantly ES thinks that those 4 jaguars are worth 900 food... yeah right. They're good but they're not THAT good. I think that the jaguars need a SERIOUS cost reduction if I'm even going to consider producing them otherwise we're just going to have yet another card added onto the Useless cards list.

- - ESO Name: poita - -
- - ELO Rating: 2120 - -
- - Civ: Russia + Dutch - -
My Aztec Unit Guide (Updated!)
AuthorReplies:
poita
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-06 05:08 PM EDT (US)     26 / 32       

Quote:

i think the reason pet jaguars are so expensive is because Aztec XP bonus, ES must thought that if they were as cheap as other pets then Aztec will always make hem and get massive XPs from guardians etc, which will become OP.

The problem is that even the xp you gain barely makes up for the cost of them.

Say you send the card then build 3 janeys. Thats a discovery age card plus a colonial age card worth of resources. The janeys would then have to get you 2 shipments just to break even. Most maps don't have enough treasures to generate that much xp, let alone enough to actually make a profit on the janeys.

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-06 09:50 PM EDT (US)     27 / 32       
exactly,

it is the way to stop you from doing it.

poita
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-06 10:44 PM EDT (US)     28 / 32       
Then what's the point of building them if you can rarely make a profit?

George_uk
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 06:01 AM EDT (US)     29 / 32       
Don't forget as well as getting the 2 shipments back you actually get the treasures themselves.

Previously known as MoNo Ager
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 01:37 PM EDT (US)     30 / 32       

Quote:

Then what's the point of building them if you can rarely make a profit?

my take is this:

ES considers Aztec WC XP bonus to be too good if WC is attacking treasure guardian with his pets, you get more XP, more XP gets more shipments, etc the result could be exponentially accelerating.

but they cant exactly make a native WC card NOT allow him to make pets (part of the native tradition?), so in the end the WC card still enables pets, but they made these pets too expensive to make early game.

to justify their existence and cost, they have given it an upgrade in late game, making them more of an late game unit.

punkrockcowboy
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 04:45 PM EDT (US)     31 / 32       
I think it's ridiculous that animals have such a low attack vs settlers. I can understand a reduction in attack, but not by this much. Some of the things in this game remind me way too much of pokemon and other card games with attack multipliers and reducers. While I agree with you about the cost I also think it's ridiculous that they do such little damage against villagers.
TOO_Saruman
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 04:48 PM EDT (US)     32 / 32       
Think about if they DIDN't have a multiplier...it would be impossible to gather recoureces with all the pets pwning your settlers.

ESO: empirejoao3
Clan:Proud
"You know the world is going crazy when the best golfer in the world is black, the best rapper is white, and the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese" LOL!!!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames