You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.48 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Well, I just dusted off my old Russian city..
Bottom
Topic Subject:Well, I just dusted off my old Russian city..
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
somme
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-06 06:15 PM EDT (US)         
And... They are so damn slow now. Everything about them is slower. Can they even compete any more? 17 vil age is now at like 5:20... Makes me sad :'(

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
AuthorReplies:
Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-06 06:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 48       
I've done OK with them so far, I'm just happy I can play the civ without whingers trying to say they're OP. They are probably 7th/8th best civ now.
GreatViet
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-06 06:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 48       
u g2 age with 14 vils now otherwise u will be dead :-S
somme
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-06 06:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 48       
They seem pretty feeble from the 2 games I've played so far..

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-06 07:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 48       
14 vils + wood trickle isn't good enough? :?

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
GreatViet
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-06 08:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 48       
17 vils + 1 ship >>>>>>>>> 14 vils + wood trickle
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 12-09-06 09:20 PM EDT (US)     6 / 48       
Russia got the following nerfs on expansion

Settler train speed increased.
Strelet train speed increased.
Musket train speed increased.
Opri siege damage reduced.
Strelet hitpoints reduced.

But abus guns 4 speed, 18 range and no set up time still sits pretty. One of these 3 things has to go.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 12-09-2006 @ 09:20 PM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-06 05:09 AM EDT (US)     7 / 48       
But if you ship 300 wood you can afford slower age up.

I started playing russia again, and is wood trickle card worth it?

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 12-10-06 06:46 AM EDT (US)     8 / 48       
Personally I like the wood trickle card, its 3 villies on wood that can't be killed.

Really wish they would'nt have nerfed Russia so hard like that. I mean the civ bonus is faster building villagers, like spains shipment speed, but wait theirs got buffed a while ago

ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-06 01:00 PM EDT (US)     9 / 48       
Russia is def. not feeble. They still have Strelets, they still have a decent Fortress, w/ Opri's. THey send 300 wood, to build forward/early rax, and take Map Control.

Ender made an excellent point in on of the other threads about RUssia. They send those Strelet floods, that are pounding your defenses, possibly making you garrison here and there. He is spending less res, on more units, and beating you cost effectively, while he blows up behind the seens, soon hitting fortress, with two more TC's going up.

They MAKE you commit early becuz of Strelets, but put them selves in a position to blow by you economically.

I see people saying they are the 7th or 8th best civ?? How?

Spain is better, but that is obvious. Could you argue that Sioux is better? Probably not, a Russian player will have early rax, and age early w/ Sioux player, and the Russkies Strelets will embarrass those Cetans.

You could argue Dutch is better, but i mean Iro is not better, neither is Britian, or Aztec, nor France. So they gotta be in the top 3 best civs right now.

"Were surrounded.........this simplifies things." - Chesty Puller USMC 1950

"Let your plans be dark and as impenatrable as night, and when you move, fall like a lightning-bolt." - Sun Tzu
brandnizzle
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-06 01:51 PM EDT (US)     10 / 48       
strelets HP and orpi siege reduced, wow, id idnt hear about that.

but yes, they are kidna fallign down the ladder.

and at ulti, yeah, dutcha re way better.

everytime they do this colonial bank boom and harass you with skirms and hussars, as a regualr euro civ, all you have is muskets, pikes, hsusars, and x bows.

x bows hsusars might do but the dutchy will have way more resources.

its their all purpose strat and very hard to beat without sioux, spain, otto, or russian (maybe iro aztec)

aka99
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-06 01:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 48       
I wish they kept the villie time the same... I mean its not like russia was op, unlike a certain other civ.....
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 12-10-06 05:13 PM EDT (US)     12 / 48       
No, Russia did definitly fall from the position they were.

What is a Russian to do against a dutch player that builds a tower while aging, ships 2 and has improved buildings? Get his strelets maimed by the towers is what.

The age up is just way too slow, and villagers produce way too slow now, and they still haven't fixed Medicine yet.(Atleast I don't think they have)

I honestly don't see why the nerf was necissary, I could live with the hp nerf because the boost to Boyars cancels it, the train speed nerf wasn't really necissary and the musket train speed definatly wasn't needed. But to nerf Russia's civ bonus, and keep another civ bonus like it is (SPAIN) to the point you can win with shipments alone is IMO BS.

Or I could live with this if they changed abus so they can't hit and run like a skirm....

Ranger General
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-06 08:20 PM EDT (US)     13 / 48       
Oprichnik TWC Stat
250 2 40 6.8 15 Ranged-20% F-90, G-60
Unit Type: HandCavalry, SiegeTrooper, HeavyCavalry, Cavalry
BuildingAttack Damage: 75 (Siege), ROF: 3.0
DefendHandAttack Damage: 20 (Hand), ROF: 1.5, Bonuses: Villager x 3.0
GuardianAttack Damage: 20 (Hand), ROF: 1.5, Bonuses: Villager x 3.0
MeleeHandAttack Damage: 20 (Hand), ROF: 1.5, Bonuses: Villager x 3.0, Artillery x 2.0, SiegeTrooper x 2.

Strelet TWC Stat( In game, they are 25% weaker but trains 10% faster and cost 25% less)
90 1 32 4.5 16 Ranged-30% F-50, W-10
Unit Type: RangedInfantry, Infantry, GunpowderTrooper
BuildingAttack Damage: 9 (Siege), ROF: 3.0
DefendHandAttack Damage: 5 (Hand), ROF: 1.5, Bonuses: HeavyInfantry x 2.0, LightCavalry x 1.5, xpEagleKnight x 1.5
DefendRangedAttack Damage: 10 (Ranged), ROF: 3.0, Range: 2-14, Bonuses: HeavyInfantry x 2.0, LightCavalry x 1.5, xpEagleKnight x 1.5
MeleeHandAttack Damage: 5 (Hand), ROF: 1.5, Bonuses: HeavyInfantry x 2.0, LightCavalry x 1.5, xpEagleKnight x 1.5
StaggerHandAttack Damage: 5 (Hand), ROF: 1.5, Bonuses: HeavyInfantry x 2.0, LightCavalry x 1.5, xpEagleKnight x 1.5
StaggerRangedAttack Damage: 10 (Ranged), ROF: 3.0, Range: 2-14, Bonuses: HeavyInfantry x 2.0, LightCavalry x 1.5, xpEagleKnight x 1.5
VolleyHandAttack Damage: 5 (Hand), ROF: 1.5, Bonuses: HeavyInfantry x 2.0, LightCavalry x 1.5, xpEagleKnight x 1.5
VolleyRangedAttack Damage: 10 (Ranged), ROF: 3.0, Range: 2-14, Bonuses: HeavyInfantry x 2.0, LightCavalry x 1.5, xpEagleKnight x 1.5

I don't see any change beside train time, they are as good as they were in vanilla( and they got improved upgrade card, too).

Ulti's word of wisdom :

since the start of aoe3, every unit that can move has been a direct counter to grenadiers, even villagers(since they have bonuses against siege troops)

[This message has been edited by Ranger General (edited 12-10-2006 @ 08:22 PM).]

TheRomans
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-06 09:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 48       
In vanilla they were 25% cheaper while being only 20% weaker, and if you did, I don't know why you would, but if you sent both russian infantry train cards+standing army church tech, strelets are no longer instant late game which is also a nerf.

+----------+
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLLS |
+----------+
Gomezd
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 06:44 AM EDT (US)     15 / 48       

Quote:

What is a Russian to do against a dutch player that builds a tower while aging, ships 2 and has improved buildings? Get his strelets maimed by the towers is what

Try building units OTHER than strelets, russian gets grenadiers and musks... use them.

IMO the nerfs were necessary, russia was just too damn strong, those blockhouses sooo cheap (tho the native warhuts kind of overshadow that) and that eco was Godly, you practically forced your opponent to have 10 less vills than you while you boomed away.

Im eager to return playing with russia

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 12-11-06 02:16 PM EDT (US)     16 / 48       
You'll be disappointed with Russia in the xpac, They're a shadow of their former glory

Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-06 05:49 PM EDT (US)     17 / 48       
I'm sorry for bringing up this thread but I just had to post this response I got from in game...

[JPEG, (405.23 KB)]

I just played this game and felt I had to post it somewhere...

PS: me = pyro_, I was playing on his account

KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-06 06:03 PM EDT (US)     18 / 48       
^lol

The person who said it is so fitting for the role ^^

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
xSephirothx
Skirmisher
(id: xMatt the Greatx)
posted 12-13-06 08:02 PM EDT (US)     19 / 48       
*insert ROFL smilie here

Doesn't a 5 hussar FF totally own russians?

TjRome
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-06 08:24 PM EDT (US)     20 / 48       
Based on the Civ winning %'s, the Russians seem to be just fine. I don't think Russian players have much to complain about (they were a BIT OP before).

German and Port players do have legit complaints.

Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-06 08:30 PM EDT (US)     21 / 48       
Oh cool! I hope you feel real great about yourself now larky. You have that much time and energy to go through that trouble to make yourself look superior? I figured the player was too good for that low rating <_<, some nub basher you are.

Really though ... Yukon is beneficial to Russia, one major advantage is the polar explorer card, and the fact that more often than not you need to either get lucky or somehow herd at least 2-3+ hunting groups before the rush hits, while still getting a decent age up time.

I still don't see how Russia is sooooo UP, they were OP in second place in vanilla, and after recieving a proper nerf they are certainly more balanced.

Playing Russia is like playing the lottery, you either go stable or barracks and cross your fingers that he either makes strelets or muskets. There is no way you can keep up xbow production or hussar production and remain unhoused and afford the 400 wood for both buildings, while the Russian player conveniently and quickly trains a unit combo from one building that doubles as map control.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_

[This message has been edited by Brtnboarder495 (edited 12-13-2006 @ 08:40 PM).]

StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 12-13-06 09:40 PM EDT (US)     22 / 48       
Scout the Russia to see what he is gathering. If he has a lot on coin, he's probably going muskets. If none, then strelets.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
SahintheFalcon
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-06 10:38 PM EDT (US)     23 / 48       
Where do you get a list of all the TWC's changes? I feel like a noob, I don't know anything about what happened. And I don't know the difference between TWC changes and patch 1.09 (TWC 1.01) changes. AND I AM NOT A NOOB I AM A FIELD OFFICER.

This is what I thought before reading this thread (don't laugh please...) but feel free to correct me.

Ottomans (my favorite civ) NERFED AGAIN! GB attack nerfed, ottos got the worst new cards, etc.

Brits got nerfed. LB attack decreased, got pretty bad cards in the expansion.

Ports got a slight boost (genitours) from new cards but still UP.

Germans still weak, except for late game (solingen steel, war wagons still decent).

France average early game, OP late game (2 pop cuirassiers wtf?)

Russians average early game, a bit weak late game. Russians are OP IN DM with new home city cards. No significant changes made to units.

Spain OP. Rodeleros own everything but jans (phew!). Lancers still too strong. Pikes got too strong a boost vs. light infantry.

Aztecs VERY weak early game, OP late game. seriously. I got beat by a corporal when I tried to rush with Aztec. And their skull knights/arrow knights owned my jans/GB in one NR game.

Iroquois weak, but they can pull it off if they Aenna/toma rush and survive till light cannons.

Sioux average throughout the whole game, despite people's crazy strategies involving constant raiding, mass cetan rushes, and ff's.

Overall I'd say the most balanced civs would be france, ottoman, and sioux.

Azte

ESO Nickname: Eisenhower
Favorite Age 3 character: Sahin the Falcon
Unban James Lock!
xSephirothx
Skirmisher
(id: xMatt the Greatx)
posted 12-13-06 11:15 PM EDT (US)     24 / 48       
Seriously, just build a stable, make 5 hussars, and head to fortress. 5 hussars is more than enough to hold off until you hit fort around 9:30 with age up skirms and a fortress shipment on the way. Combined with MM, he isn't going to take your TC, or any of your buildings. 5 hussars does beat 10 russian muskets, and also mauls 33 strelets. Or 23 strelets and 5 muskets, or whatever other combo they might have. With MM and TC fire, 5 hussars will beat 20+ muskets, while age up skirms kill another ungodly amount. Not to mention 16 cdb will kill a russian musk in one shot, so TC "peekaboo" works great. Try it, it works.

EDIT: And you almost always start with two herds very close to TC and one relatively close next to the trade route on Yukon. Herd the latter early so that you dont run out of hunts.

[This message has been edited by xMatt the Greatx (edited 12-13-2006 @ 11:17 PM).]

TheRomans
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-06 11:28 PM EDT (US)     25 / 48       

Quote:

Aztecs VERY weak early game, OP late game. seriously. I got beat by a corporal when I tried to rush with Aztec. And their skull knights/arrow knights owned my jans/GB in one NR game.

If anything Aztec is weak late game, CIR Guard abus guns would have owned that combo so fast with a jan meat sheild. You can mass ranged heavy infantry and just own an aztec late game. Portugal can send dragoon+6 range card and just spam goons+cassas and win because nothing aztecs have beats it. Stealth? Ha, I will put my explorer in next time you try it.

+----------+
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLLS |
+----------+
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames