You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.69 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Rant: Anyone else pissed at ES?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rant: Anyone else pissed at ES?
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 08:41 AM EDT (US)         
I used to love ES. They made IMO the best game ever made: AoeII. I have every AoE game, individually purchased, as they came out; no bs cheap gold editions either.

Now ES is all about the one thing that makes the world go round. Money.

ES doesn't give a crap about AoM anymore. they left it unbalanced and have no plans to release another patch. The fact that so many people bought AoE3 tells ES that it's okay for them to not patch a game (AoM, AoE 1 and 2), that it's okay to cancel the Zone for AoE1 & 2, that it's okay to not patch AoE3 effectively or give any information about what the hell's going on.

When was the last time anyone from ES gave us any indication of what was next? there's been no news about a needed TWC patch, as well as their continued lack of care for their long time customers.

Now ES is catering to noobs too much, they are leeching off the most common person who plays an Age game: The young male who doesn't play competetively AT ALL. They have introduced utter crap to the series that makes me feel ashamed to be a longtime ES fan.

One prime example is when they increased EXP attained after games, to get more casual RTS gamers scared of the competetivity into the game, to earn more money.

Things/"features" such as no drop-off points, which basically attract people who are shit at the game and have little micro. Other "features" include a series of shitty campaigns based on a shitty cliche story, rather than the classic, well made AoE2 campaigns. I mean, instead of a campaign based on and around famous generals like Napoleon- they come up with some crap about some Scottish guy on some incredibly cliche quest to rid the world of a generic secret organisation. Enthralling.

Most people that play AoE3 haven't played AoE2, which shows that they are new to the series, attracted by the cheery graphics and shit campaign that even the most retarded adult would scoff at.

Come on ES: LI are STILL the games best unit by far. cavalry are crap. Port has been crap since day one. They BUFFED Spain which was already one of the top civs, now it is by far the best civ. Germany blows, they nerfed longbows improperly, the list of unchanged, major flaws in the game goes on.

Sure, AoE3 is a great game. I simply feel that ES has sold out on the gamers that brought them up the RTS ladder. ES is neglecting the online gamer who just wants a fair game. ES is catering to the majority to make money.

Just balance the bloody game and win your fans back, ES.

Thoughts?

(No flaming please)

Oh yeah, forgot about the fact that they ditched us to work on some other RTS game, which will inevitably suck ass.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates

[This message has been edited by KrAzY_KaRl (edited 12-17-2006 @ 08:49 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 08:46 AM EDT (US)     1 / 69       
You can see it happen to all older devs, they get in a comfort zone and start to make cruddy games (see lucas arts history to see what I mean *cries out for classics like X-wing alliance*)

But in their defense they have worked very very hard to balance it and they are keeping at it (even if they mess up alot)

I'm sorta neutral about ES right now.

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer
Lolzords
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 08:55 AM EDT (US)     2 / 69       
"KrAzY_KaRl". Do you think it's cool to have every second letter as a capital, Karl? Is that cool? Ok, no. I hate you.
Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 09:17 AM EDT (US)     3 / 69       
^ You're ugly.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 09:27 AM EDT (US)     4 / 69       

Quote:

One prime example is when they increased EXP attained after games, to get more casual RTS gamers scared of the competetivity into the game

Euh no. They did that in TWC because of the higher levels you can reach, and the new level 40 card limit. A higher limit, so they let you gain XP faster so new players dont have to play 3 months just to get 1 HC to level 40. Now they need to play 2 months to do that, and in aoe3 you need to play 2 months to reach level 25. Makes sense to me.

Quote:

Most people that play AoE3 haven't played AoE2, which shows that they are new to the series,

z0mg slaughter all the infidels who didnt play aok.

Quote:

Sure, AoE3 is a great game

So stfu.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 09:33 AM EDT (US)     5 / 69       

Quote:

Euh no. They did that in TWC

It was implemented BEFORE TWC came out.

Quote:

z0mg slaughter all the infidels who didnt play aok.

I agree, kill them all!

Quote:

So stfu.

No.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 09:40 AM EDT (US)     6 / 69       
It was implemented because of TWC. And it is also just more fair for new players. But apperently you hate new players and you want to let people only play if they got an aok account? Well i didnt play aok online and my rating is higher then yours. (i have no idea if it is, but such statements are about the same level as this topic)

Quote:

You can see it happen to all older devs, they get in a comfort zone and start to make cruddy games (see lucas arts history to see what I mean *cries out for classics like X-wing alliance*)

looks @ EA games and thinks: "can be worse"

[This message has been edited by schildpad (edited 12-17-2006 @ 09:41 AM).]

George_III
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 09:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 69       

Quote:

I agree, kill them all!

Rofl!

On topic: I tend to agree with Karl... it seems evident that Spain is OP, so maybe they should umm... make them have faster shipments! Yeah that's a good idea.

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 09:44 AM EDT (US)     8 / 69       
@george, or we just boost rods ^_^

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 12-17-06 10:24 AM EDT (US)     9 / 69       

Quote:

that it's okay to cancel the Zone for AoE1 & 2

The Zone is not part of ES.

Quote:

that it's okay to not patch AoE3 effectively

by the end, balance was relatively good on AoE3. It was a hell of a lot better than AoK, and TWC is no worse than AoC.
Sure they take a long time to release patches, but I see the same thing about nearly every game dev.

Your main complaint is that ES is catering to the MAJORITY of its customers rather than the small fraction that play competetively at high levels. So what if they make more money by supportign the majority, why does one competetive player deserve more than a casual player? Most people who bought and played AoE1, AoK, and AoM were casual gamers. Just because you don't play competetively doesn't mean you didn't play the series before. I am willing to bet there are also a decent number of people who first played AoE3 competetively (even as their first ES game, or first RTS).
You honestly think that a dozen casual gamers who supported the series since its beginning deserve less than a single competetive player?

Quote:

Other "features" include a series of shitty campaigns based on a shitty cliche story, rather than the classic, well made AoE2 campaigns.

If the only people that matter are the ones who play competetively online, why should there even be a campaign? Or any SP support?

Quote:

Port has been crap since day one.

Except for the time when they were a mile ahead of everyone except Germany (who was way ahead of portugal). And they were decent most of teh rest of the time (until the immense stress put on colonial recently). If you get past colonial, they are still very good.

Quote:

Oh yeah, forgot about the fact that they ditched us to work on some other RTS game, which will inevitably suck ass.

It is impossible to work on two things at once. You can't make a game (or an x-pack) while a seperate team works on an already released game.
Beatnik Joe
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 10:31 AM EDT (US)     10 / 69       

Quoted from KrAzY_KaRl:

Now ES is all about the one thing that makes the world go round. Money.

Quoted from KrAzY_KaRl:

Other "features" include a series of shitty campaigns based on a shitty cliche story

Quoted from KrAzY_KaRl:

shit campaign that even the most retarded adult would scoff at.

Quoted from KrAzY_KaRl:

they ditched us to work on some other RTS game, which will inevitably suck ass.

Quoted from KrAzY_KaRl:

(No flaming please)

That's right, no flaming! It'd be a shame to see this thread become uncivil!

Seriously, though, AoE3 has now provided me with over a year of entertainment, for a total cost of about $60 US for the original game and an x-pack (some of which went to the retailer from which I purchased the game.) I've played countless hours of games and had an amazing time throughout. And I'm not done either.

So has ES been overcharging me? Was 10 cents an hour too much to pay them for their hard work?

And yes, I played Age of Kings -- a great game. But AoE3 is an even more impressive achievement. It has truly unique civs and a game system that changed just enough to allow a wealth of new types of strategies to emerge. I'd just hate to be the one to try to balance 11 unique civs (something Age of Kings did not have.) Are there things I'd have done differently with balance if it were up to me? Sure. But overall my complaints are quite small and don't affect my enjoyment of the game.

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style
XploSionS
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 10:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 69       
well put it this way... i used to be almost addicted to AoK and that was playing it fo about 3-4 years straight, virtualy no otehr game on the PC was bought at thats time and now... im getting bored stiff of the x-pack after just 2-3 months.

if that balance chages were made i have a feeling that i would be nowhere near as bored because no matter what civ i play as there are just certain civs i can't play against... for instance most civs vs dutch... pls how the f*** did ES do this,(make a bad-medium civ into the 2nd best) and then how the F*** did they manage to make spain even more OP

ES worker1: damn i lost as spain again they realy need to be boosted

ES worker2: i know what you mean ive lost 3 out of the last 50 games ive played

ES worker1: i know lets give them faster shipments and an extra factory!!!

ES worker2: ur a genious, hey something else we could do is boost rods so they are unbelivably OP so they even pwn their counters, then we own everyone in age 2 and age 3

ES worker1: sounds great i need to try and beat my 100000 game winning streak as spain

how many people thought this about AoK or the other aoes?

not me thats for sure

KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 11:05 AM EDT (US)     12 / 69       

Quote:

It was implemented BEFORE TWC came out.

It was implemented in 1.09 which was a prep for TWC...

This is a terrible post. I agree ES has made some mistakes, but its too much complaining now..reminds me of bush.
I think it's turning into "I need something to complain about" rather than "ES is doing a bad job".

You failed to put good examples in there, which supports my statement. You are carelessly flaming others who post here.

Oh, and theres this little thing called Halo Wars, their new project...

Quote:

and an extra factory

That was given to both russia and spain in TWC so all europeans get the equal factory bonus over the natives.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)

[This message has been edited by KingSteve3721 (edited 12-17-2006 @ 11:07 AM).]

micky_tee
Skirmisher
(id: micky_t)
posted 12-17-06 11:26 AM EDT (US)     13 / 69       

Quote:

You honestly think that a dozen casual gamers who supported the series since its beginning deserve less than a single competetive player?

He's not saying that. He is saying that the casual gamers do not care about the game being balanced or not, and the competitive gamers do.

If ES make the game balanced, it doesn't affect the casual gamers because they don't give a damn, so why not just make the game balanced?

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 12-17-06 11:35 AM EDT (US)     14 / 69       

Quote:

I'm sorta neutral about ES right now.

I'm with him.

They do some crap stuff... rather often, but they didn't do a bad job either, other way I would be playing AoE3. As it seems, they are no worse than most gaming companies... and if someone compares ES with Blizzard again, prepare to receive a rock in the middle of your forehead.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 11:51 AM EDT (US)     15 / 69       

Quote:

He's not saying that. He is saying that the casual gamers do not care about the game being balanced or not, and the competitive gamers do.

Thank God someone understands.

Quote:

You failed to put good examples in there, which supports my statement. You are carelessly flaming others who post here.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, i'm just venting my anger about how downhill ES is heading...

Quote:

That's right, no flaming! It'd be a shame to see this thread become uncivil!

hehe.

Quote:

well put it this way... i used to be almost addicted to AoK and that was playing it fo about 3-4 years straight, virtualy no otehr game on the PC was bought at thats time and now... im getting bored stiff of the x-pack after just 2-3 months.

I played AoK for the better part of 5 years, single player and rarely got bored. But AoE3 online is proving good, albeit sometimes annoying.

Quote:

And it is also just more fair for new players. But apperently you hate new players and you want to let people only play if they got an aok account?

You're putting words in my mouth here. I never said i disagreed with the extra exp, in fact it's great, i just interpredted it as a way for ES to get more casual people into the game.

Quote:

The Zone is not part of ES

I didn't know that.

Quote:

Your main complaint is that ES is catering to the MAJORITY of its customers rather than the small fraction that play competetively at high levels.

My main complain is that ES has once receiving their money, practically given up on us, just like AoM, and the other age games.

Quote:

If the only people that matter are the ones who play competetively online, why should there even be a campaign? Or any SP support?

I consider anyone who plays online who gives an ass about their rating (just about everybody) a competetive player. I'm not saying anyone is more or less deserving of any feature, I'm just saying that they should try and include everybodys "wants" in a patch. Not making some civs easier and noobier to play because it will attract more gamers.

Quote:

It is impossible to work on two things at once. You can't make a game (or an x-pack) while a seperate team works on an already released game.

What I meant is that I (and I'm sure many Age gamers) would have preferred ES to work on a historical (or any type for that matter) RTS on the PC. I was looking forward to their latest game and when I heard about HW I saw dissapointed.

No hard feelings, anyone

EDIT:

Quote:

@george, or we just boost rods ^_^

While we're at it, why not nerf organ guns?

im in ur base

steelin ur crates

[This message has been edited by KrAzY_KaRl (edited 12-17-2006 @ 11:55 AM).]

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 12-17-06 01:06 PM EDT (US)     16 / 69       

Quote:

Balance was a small part of what he was talking about. And yes it does afect casual gamers. Compared to other games TWC isn't that bad for how many months since release? And AoE3 is quite good, overall.

Quote:

You're putting words in my mouth here. I never said i disagreed with the extra exp, in fact it's great, i just interpredted it as a way for ES to get more casual people into the game.

And that is not bad. When I look at most competetive people, I see games with very high HCs, so how will this affect them? Also, you are wrong it was implimented to counterect the increased max level (which I believe was implimented in the same patch).

Quote:

What I meant is that I (and I'm sure many Age gamers) would have preferred ES to work on a historical (or any type for that matter) RTS on the PC. I was looking forward to their latest game and when I heard about HW I saw dissapointed.

a) We don't know for a fact they aren't doing that as well.
b) It may not have been ES's choice. MS may not have given them the option.

I am not saying ES hasn't made mistakes (yes Rods are a problem), but a lot of your complaints are unnecesary, or greaty exagerated. And for all the people that complain about Organs, boosting them would not help balance. The only place Ports are truly weak is colonial, if they can survive through it they will be at least balanced.

FriedPegasus
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 01:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 69       
I love TWC. Pressing the 'Cancel' button when Queen Isabella's face shows up doesn't seem that tough to me.

It would be good if they nerfed Spain, fixed Germany and eliminated a few bugs, but the fact that they haven't really isn't cutting into my fun. The range from Dutch to Portugal really isn't nearly as large as many make it out to be.

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 12-17-06 01:43 PM EDT (US)     18 / 69       
I'm pissed at them for not giving a shit about the design community and only feeding us false hopes and lies.

ES somehow just completely forgets their other products once they start to focus on a new one, didn't Blizard release a patch for Starcraft not too long ago?

Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 12-17-06 01:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 69       

Quoted from Elpea:

didn't Blizard release a patch for Starcraft not too long ago?

Quoted from Just a player:

and if someone compares ES with Blizzard again, prepare to receive a rock in the middle of your forehead.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Just a player (edited 12-17-2006 @ 01:56 PM).]

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 02:01 PM EDT (US)     20 / 69       
starcraft is many times more important to BZ than old age games are to ES.

there are still a lot of startcraft pros, comps, turnaments, adveretising and promotions than there is for any old age games.

it is like a cycle - ES doesnt invest in their old games -> their old games dont have long lasting value and dont live on as classics -> these games lose popularity and player base -> they dont worth the maintainace.

AOE3, a great game as it was, has now reached that point after only 1 year from release. It will remain forever a "could have been great" with spain too good and german too weak - amongst other unsatisfying imperfections.

AOE3+TWC is the first ES game I bought, they will the last too.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 12-17-2006 @ 02:14 PM).]

Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 02:07 PM EDT (US)     21 / 69       
Unfortunately you speak the truth ultimitsu.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates
MusketKing
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 02:07 PM EDT (US)     22 / 69       

Quote:

Most people that play AoE3 haven't played AoE2, which shows that they are new to the series, attracted by the cheery graphics and shit campaign that even the most retarded adult would scoff at.

just so u know i never had any other age games and i ONLY play the game online..
nice theory, but doesnt apply to everyone.
EDIT: any my first RTSL and to that matter my first pc game that ive bought.

Quoted from Beatnik Joe:

Seriously, though, AoE3 has now provided me with over a year of entertainment, for a total cost of about $60 US for the original game and an x-pack (some of which went to the retailer from which I purchased the game.) I've played countless hours of games and had an amazing time throughout. And I'm not done either.

same

"The better at AoE, the worse at RL" - Doppel
After someone suggesting to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

"That last comment has earned you a ban Musk" - Solus
On realising I was on a 2nd account:"Quinarvy ehhh" - Solus

RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR - VERY GG
Mine and Micky's OPness

[This message has been edited by MusketKing (edited 12-17-2006 @ 02:12 PM).]

Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 02:13 PM EDT (US)     23 / 69       
^Well, nor everyone, but a lot of them.

AoeIII is the first game i've played online, ever. Except AoM, but i played that online after AoE3.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates
John Xenir
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 02:37 PM EDT (US)     24 / 69       
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------ -
Things/"features" such as no drop-off points, which basically attract people who are shit at the game and have little micro
------------------------------------------------------------ -

Drop off points do not require micro.
This feature only improve game interface. I tend to have games the interface as much as possible simple and automatic to vital operations. If you do not like that, you can still go play warcraft 2 and command & conquer 1.

kilmaim
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 03:17 PM EDT (US)     25 / 69       
OK...I just wanted to jump on board this rant, so here ya go...

Is AOE III and TWC unbalanced? Yes! Do I want to see a patch to help fix the balance problem? Of course!

I've been playing AOE since it first came out over 10 years ago. The Zone was an awesome place to play! But when Microsoft said they were discontinuing support for everything prior to AOM - it was pretty much the death of AOE, AOK and AOC.

There were more people on the zone playing on a daily basis (even at its end) than there are currently on ESO. AOC was my favorite! All the civs were balanced. There were a few problems regarding multiplayer exploits that our own gamers developed a patch for to overcome cheating in online games because both Microsoft and Ensemble never decided to develop a new patch - very disappointing to thousands of Zone gamers worldwide! But we developed a patch and play continued!

I bought AOE III when it first came out. For a number of various reasons, I was unable to play it back then. It has only been until fairly recently that I've been able to play again. When I did start playing again, TWC was already out...but then I heard how great it was - even though there were a number of balance issues - so I went out and got it. Before, it seemed like they were patching things like crazy! Now, who knows...

They need to patch AOE III and TWC to bring balance to both across the board. So, maybe that's why there's such a delay. Personally, I'm so used to being screwed by software developers, I just bend over now... I never got into AOM. There were to many issues with it when it first came out (at least, from what I've read). Personally, I'm glad to not have invested the money in AOM.

I just can't can't say how great The Zone was. Everyone with anything to do with anything AOE was all in one place. With the advent of AOM, the concept of such unity went out the window...and slowly began the death of the entire AOE experience. Does this have anything to do with ES? No...not really, since it was Microsoft who decided to cut AOE support from the Zone. So, what's left to say...

A patch is defintely needed...I used to play both rush games and NR games of a sort. But there are so many balance issues now that playing rush-type games (or, games that involve non-NR games) with Civ's I like is not viable, unless ultimately I want to loose... And no matter who you are, no one in the entire world likes to loose incessantly - even if the games are fun!

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames