You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.69 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Rant: Anyone else pissed at ES?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rant: Anyone else pissed at ES?
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-06 08:41 AM EDT (US)         
I used to love ES. They made IMO the best game ever made: AoeII. I have every AoE game, individually purchased, as they came out; no bs cheap gold editions either.

Now ES is all about the one thing that makes the world go round. Money.

ES doesn't give a crap about AoM anymore. they left it unbalanced and have no plans to release another patch. The fact that so many people bought AoE3 tells ES that it's okay for them to not patch a game (AoM, AoE 1 and 2), that it's okay to cancel the Zone for AoE1 & 2, that it's okay to not patch AoE3 effectively or give any information about what the hell's going on.

When was the last time anyone from ES gave us any indication of what was next? there's been no news about a needed TWC patch, as well as their continued lack of care for their long time customers.

Now ES is catering to noobs too much, they are leeching off the most common person who plays an Age game: The young male who doesn't play competetively AT ALL. They have introduced utter crap to the series that makes me feel ashamed to be a longtime ES fan.

One prime example is when they increased EXP attained after games, to get more casual RTS gamers scared of the competetivity into the game, to earn more money.

Things/"features" such as no drop-off points, which basically attract people who are shit at the game and have little micro. Other "features" include a series of shitty campaigns based on a shitty cliche story, rather than the classic, well made AoE2 campaigns. I mean, instead of a campaign based on and around famous generals like Napoleon- they come up with some crap about some Scottish guy on some incredibly cliche quest to rid the world of a generic secret organisation. Enthralling.

Most people that play AoE3 haven't played AoE2, which shows that they are new to the series, attracted by the cheery graphics and shit campaign that even the most retarded adult would scoff at.

Come on ES: LI are STILL the games best unit by far. cavalry are crap. Port has been crap since day one. They BUFFED Spain which was already one of the top civs, now it is by far the best civ. Germany blows, they nerfed longbows improperly, the list of unchanged, major flaws in the game goes on.

Sure, AoE3 is a great game. I simply feel that ES has sold out on the gamers that brought them up the RTS ladder. ES is neglecting the online gamer who just wants a fair game. ES is catering to the majority to make money.

Just balance the bloody game and win your fans back, ES.

Thoughts?

(No flaming please)

Oh yeah, forgot about the fact that they ditched us to work on some other RTS game, which will inevitably suck ass.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates

[This message has been edited by KrAzY_KaRl (edited 12-17-2006 @ 08:49 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-06 01:51 PM EDT (US)     51 / 69       
Same for every patch. As soon as patch notes were released the community predicted which civ would be OP next, and it was correct everytime, and ES didnt care.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Botolf
Royal Guard
posted 12-18-06 07:17 PM EDT (US)     52 / 69       

Quote:

Heh, i'm not a perfectionist, I just want the game that I paid for to be balanced and fun.

Your impatience is giving the impression you want perfection.

Quote:

I don't think a balanced game with decent support (as Elpea said) is unreasonable, considering I paid (and everyone who bought this game) $100.

Some areas of your post were very unreasonable, the accusation of ES being greedy being my main peeve.

| Botolf the Crazed |
There's treasure everywhere!
Winner of the Kman Lame Puns Award

[This message has been edited by Botolf (edited 12-18-2006 @ 07:18 PM).]

StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 12-18-06 08:08 PM EDT (US)     53 / 69       

Quote:

is it just me or does anyone else feel that ES seem to have greater difficulty in balancing the game than other companies?

Well, that is true. But remember, ES has only 3 or 4 balance guys instead of more for other companies.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 12-18-06 08:24 PM EDT (US)     54 / 69       
You don't need more than a blind monkey and a few nail scissors to understand that BOOST SPAIN = BAD and NERF PORTUGAL = STUPID.

Anyway, for some reason, I expect the next patch to be quite good.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Just a player (edited 12-18-2006 @ 08:25 PM).]

mentork
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-06 08:53 PM EDT (US)     55 / 69       

Quoted from walker texas ranger:

Anyway, for *some* reason, I expect the next patch to be quite good.

Hahaha, i can see it now, you have a gun to the head of the balance team and he's all like "ok, ok, we'll stop nerfing the ports!"

[This message has been edited by mentork (edited 12-18-2006 @ 08:54 PM).]

Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-06 09:47 PM EDT (US)     56 / 69       

Quote:

Well, that is true. But remember, ES has only 3 or 4 balance guys instead of more for other companies.

When you look at the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many units in the game and that many different combinations and situations pertaining to the balancing of units at least.

I can't imagine why it's taken them this long to even release 1.02, they've had about a month and with 3 or 4 people supposedly only working on balance.

I'd much rather release many more patches frequently, even if they weren't perfect balance wise. But things like reducing rods OPness, and boosting xbows for ports and germany, ect. Those things are no brainers and should have been taken care of a while ago.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
Wabbitkiller
Skirmisher
posted 12-19-06 11:14 PM EDT (US)     57 / 69       
What's so sad is the fact that ES used to kick ass, now they just suck ass. I've bought AoE 1,2,3 and AoM, and I'm sad to say that this will be my last.

What really pisses me off is the fact that there are some major, OBVIOUS balance issues that they are either too stupid or too lazy to fix.

Crappy game support will ultimately KILL sales. Look at all of the software giants of the past that have fallen into oblivion because of this. ES is getting dangerously close to that point.

As this thread shows, there are A LOT of people that are frustrated and pissed off at them right now, and they are going to lose their customer base if they don't pull their heads out of their asses and ADDRESS the issues that everyone is SCREAMING at them to address.

The balance issues have taken a potentially diverse game and turned it into 3 flavors of the same old shit. There really are only a small handful of strategies and civs that are viable right now because of it.

FIX YOUR DAMN GAME ES!

KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 00:01 AM EDT (US)     58 / 69       

Quote:

You don't need more than a blind monkey and a few nail scissors to understand that BOOST SPAIN = BAD and NERF PORTUGAL = STUPID.

LMAO exact philosophy ES should be using because right now they seem dumber. We should go to ES and stand outside with signs saying "BOOST SPAIN = BAD", "BOOST GERMANY/PORTS = GOOD" and "NERFING FOR NO REASON = BAD".

Then they go "OH!" and finally balance the damn game.

Ah but then one might inquire that they will fail to understand the term "ports" and then decide there is nothing else to do so they randomly pick a civ to nerf and it just-so-happens to be the Portuguese. I'm sure as hell it's happened before LOL.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
TheRomans
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 01:10 AM EDT (US)     59 / 69       

Quote:

LMAO exact philosophy ES should be using because right now they seem dumber. We should go to ES and stand outside with signs saying "BOOST SPAIN = BAD", "BOOST GERMANY/PORTS = GOOD" and "NERFING FOR NO REASON = BAD".

Thats plausible considering I live maby 45 mins max from ES in Texas. I would parade around their building yelling balance if I could.

+----------+
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLLS |
+----------+
Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 02:54 AM EDT (US)     60 / 69       

Quote:

He is saying that the casual gamers do not care about the game being balanced or not, and the competitive gamers do.

Well, I disagree. This is the sort of elitist bullshit I hate. Most casual players want balance just as much as the experts. It's just that they don't get as much TIME to play as experts, and thus the xp boost is always a handy bonus. Why complain? There's more to life than AOE3, and I think it was nice of ES to add that bonus to players, particularly intermediate ones that get their PR dropped down back to 25 when they can't play for ages because they've had too much work to do... cough. It's not like ES to concentrate on a small percentage of their total purchasers.

Oh wait... my mistake - they made the graphics in a way just so they'd look awesome on the top 5% of computer owners and terribly bland on the bottom 95% who don't have nVidia GeForce 7800s, even though they were capable of making it look overall fine regardless of graphics card. Yeah, they can do that, and they won't even make the scen design community happy.

But despite all this - besides balance changes, including the Aztecs over the Incas, a shit campaign and constantly disagreeing with Sandy, I love AOE3. I just wish I had more time to play it and a computer that could handle it nicely.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 07:17 AM EDT (US)     61 / 69       
No, non competitive players really could care less for balance because it doesn't have any affect on their games! As I've already said many times before, imbalances become magnified by higher skilled players because they are capable of abusing OP things like no one else.

Hell, if you even told a n00b/non-competitive player that Spain was OP they'd probably laugh.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
James Lock
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 10:05 AM EDT (US)     62 / 69       
What would you class as noob? Because even at my level its obvious that spain is OP... Though at my level spainish players don't know how to abuse the civ as well as experts. But that's common sense, what with them being worse players...

I play mostly team games, and Spain isn't very good in that area at my level. The one thing that I do see a problem with though is the abuse of the rodelero. Combined with abus guns, I have no idea how to beat them...

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
Earl Samsca
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 10:28 AM EDT (US)     63 / 69       
It seems to me far more "good" people proportionally play TWC than was the case in the original.

Skill is irrelevent to balance, playing time is everything.
If you tell someone with 10 games played ever that spain is OP he may well be a bit non-plussed since he doesn't have a clue about the game.

On the otherhand I doubt there are many with pushing 100 games or so played who can not make a good stab at balance predictions. People will disagree based on personal taste.. but its usually fairly obvious from the highest level down since most imbalances are either units or economically based and can, unless that advantage is only available with an extreme level of micro, be translated down to less skilled play.

Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 10:46 AM EDT (US)     64 / 69       
I loved when we asked why did they boost spains xp and sandy said "because they suck"

No really he said that

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer
Hacksaw
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 12:08 PM EDT (US)     65 / 69       
Ok, to anyone who is angry or 'neutral' to ES:
If you don't like their products, don't buy them.

Get a life and realise that playing AOE3/TWC is optional and you have no right to complain as you could have easily returned the product.

Take it easy guys, it's just a game, not a way of life.

mentork
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 12:15 PM EDT (US)     66 / 69       

Quoted from noob at life:

you have no right to complain as you could have easily returned the product

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, *someone* has his mom shop for him.

Quoted from the same noob:

Take it easy guys, it's just a game, not a way of life.

Apparently you've never seen me play games..
Hacksaw
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 01:34 PM EDT (US)     67 / 69       

Quoted from mentork:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, *someone* has his mom shop for him

...No, I bought myself, you clever little thing.

Quoted from mentork:

Apparently you've never seen me play games

Aw, well aren't you really cool.

Quoted from Artiem:

Um, just TRY and return an opened computer game. I double dog dare ya! LOLz

lol good point!

thanks for the head's up about the quotes just a player!

[This message has been edited by Hacksaw (edited 12-21-2006 @ 04:18 AM).]

Artiem
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-06 02:03 PM EDT (US)     68 / 69       
From the guy who started this topic with his lengthy rant:

Quoted from KrAzY_KaRl:

AoeIII is the first game i've played online, ever. Except AoM, but i played that online after AoE3.

Wow. So you're trashing ES based on your vast basis of comparison? lolz

Well in all I still think you make some valid points. Seems obvious that ES has devoted less time/effort to balance issues and community concerns than they should have, perhaps could have. But having played every AOE game ever made, since day one, I have to say that they have consistently turned out the best online RTS on the market, year after year. If anyone knows of a better one, I'd be tickled to hear all about it.

Oh and I've played RoN and EE and guess what -- they had features I liked, others I didn't. But it was nearly impossible to get a game online, especially a fair game with balanced teams.

Single player campaigns, well they're extremely subjective. I thought the spc's in AOE3 were *okay* but I see them more as tutorials for multiplayer than as standalone games. Player designed campaigns can help fill the void for those who prefer to play solo. And admittedly, skirmish games become yawners after you figure out the AI's tendencies -- though you can always stack the odds a bit and make it more interesting.

Too long here, sorry. To sum up -- the game's not perfect, ES is not perfect, ESO is not perfect, but IMHO they're still the best going and I'll keep playing. For anyone who's truly unhappy, I say move on down the road and find something else.

One more thing.

Quoted from hacksaw:

Get a life and realise that playing AOE3/TWC is optional and you have no right to complain as you could have easily returned the product.

Um, just TRY and return an opened computer game. I double dog dare ya! LOLz

(8-{)aRTieM
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 12-20-06 05:03 PM EDT (US)     69 / 69       
It seems that, when you edit a post, all your quotes go bananas.

I'll make a test:

Quote:

test

Editing...

Ok, they don't, but it happened with me once and is happing with Hacksaw.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Just a player (edited 12-20-2006 @ 05:04 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames