Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Favorite Mercenaries
Bottom
Topic Subject:Favorite Mercenaries
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Ben Smith
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-07 09:08 PM EDT (US)         
Hey folks,

Just wanted to start up a thread and ask you folks what your favorite mercenaries are and why.

I have to say as Russians I like anything that can fight well with a ranged attack. I particulary like the Jaegars as they have an amazing ranged attack and are strong and viable to be used in a siege.

Usually as the Russians the bulk of my force by the end of the game is simply a sheild for my heavy cannons or grenadiers, as just about any other civilization has far better field units that Strelets and the Russian Musketeers.

What are your favorite mercenaries and why?

AuthorReplies:
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-07 09:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30       
Please, serch in the forums before making a topic.
there are lots of topic like this, here you have one Clicky!
Arvedui
Messiah of Fail
(id: ashwin13)
posted 04-29-07 09:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30       
But that one's so old, let's have a new one with the new people here.

My favorite is the 'lil bombards. Thos things are so powerful, 3 of them can defend your town with a couple of musketeers easily. And with fully upgraded cuirs with all possible shipments to improve them... OP!

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
Roark
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-07 09:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 30       
I've always been a big fan of highlanders

ESO: Naevius
Ben Smith
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-07 10:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 30       
Thanks for the great replies.

I'm so jealous of those Bombards :-P

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-07 10:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 30       
Well, if mods decide to not close this thread (although there are 1000 thread like this) then ill post.

-----
My gavourite merc is higlander.
thena i like Stradiot and Mameluke.
-----

cuase when i make saloon and start making a good amoutn of merc, its usually as dutch, and Higlander and merc cav is what Dutch army in Foretress needs.
they dont have Muskteers, so i have Higlander, and they dont have anything special with cav. (just normal Husar)
so i like to have some merc cav for cannon and LI* pwnage.

Then, if im playing as Russia (or ottomasn and the games goes late) i like some Manchu or Balck Riders. (cuase you all know that Cavalary Archers SUKS).
I like Jaeger too. cuase abus take too long to train, to easly killed, and lategame strelet arent that good..

James Lock
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-07 10:37 PM EDT (US)     6 / 30       
Lil bombards are great.Highlanders are like muskets on steroids.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
Myth_dracon
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-07 11:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 30       
I actually like ninja and l'il bombards the best. Why?

Ninja:
-fast, can run from any trackers
-stealth
-bonus vs. buildings and other mercs AS WELL as Warchiefs (basically merc. assassin)
-can cut down villagers very fast
-cool looking and sounding

Lil Bombards:
-we Love Cannon, and a cannon merc is a unique idea which no one expected.
-sorta like a heavy cannon - training time. You can have your factories produce resources you need and get cannons from your saloon.
-Powerful
-Excellent Defense (so long as you have cavalry to kill anti cannon/arrow knights).

SahintheFalcon
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 01:19 AM EDT (US)     8 / 30       
mamelukes. love their voicing and hp

ESO Nickname: Eisenhower
Favorite Age 3 character: Sahin the Falcon
Unban James Lock!
exc4libulz1022
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 01:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 30       
i like elmeti because theyre so freakin strong, but my favorite would probably be mamelukes.

"he will have a hard getting banks up"
~rel4xed

"I accidently drop kicked someone once"
~george_uk

Sporting_Lisbon
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 02:48 AM EDT (US)     10 / 30       
i love swiss pikes. They own
Apollin
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 05:57 AM EDT (US)     11 / 30       
Bombards I play with portugal usually and the only siege unit in fortress which i have is petard and petards are very expensive since they ar elike condoms - you use them only one time and they are dead. With the "small bombard" you go through enymy infantery and buildings like through grass.

I like it especially if i have luck to have them in saloon against an iro enemy who made a tommy rush on water maps. After (if...) his tommy rush failed the iro usually starts to boom and have a bunch of forest prowlers as i reach fortress. Then i build usually few bombards (my boats gather enough gold on the sea), muskets or halbs as meatshield and after a while i hear about boken ports, beaing noob and so on... it's so funny)))

Bomabrds are simply the best!! And moreover i like ronin against france very much and mameluks are nice too

Cherusci
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 06:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 30       
I like use the Hessian Jaeger's and Scottish Highlanders for British....coupled with the Church available skirmisher units and the Cherokee Indian Allies to attack with my Rockets and Hussars.

Those little bombards are too expensive and take up too much population.......there also very slow. I will agree they are great for siege though.

I usually play British or sometimes French and less often the Germans.

Fort Ligionier Key to the West in 1758-1766
French and Indian War and Pontiac's War
Voltiguer
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 06:10 AM EDT (US)     13 / 30       
Swiss pikes. Mamelukes. Jaegers. Elmeti.
empireVeljanoski
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 06:25 AM EDT (US)     14 / 30       
as a brit player i use jaegers, i also like highlanders but i use muskets instead. Jaegers are a very good version of the skirmisher and i always use them to defend against heavy inf.
Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 04-30-07 10:11 AM EDT (US)     15 / 30       
Mamelukes, Elmetis, Jaegers, Highlanders, Ronin and Lil' Bombards. And with Improved Mercs they all get +20% Attack and +20% HP.

Click Here

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
DonOFCassador
Banned
posted 04-30-07 10:18 AM EDT (US)     16 / 30       
Fav Ronin and Swisspike.
Edit and Elemti.

[This message has been edited by DonOFCassador (edited 05-01-2007 @ 10:15 AM).]

the_emperor222
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 10:32 AM EDT (US)     17 / 30       
i love fusiliers and hackapells, but i never use them, they are just cool. the best mercenaries i found are ronin and elmeti,espascally with dutch, with british i like jaeger and highlander.

Favourite civ: British
LONGBOWMAN RULES!!!
or maybe not
Alexander the
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 06:22 PM EDT (US)     18 / 30       
Ronin are my favorite. They too enxpensive. When i actually use mercanaries... i probaly use rangagadoes the most :P

"History teaches us man learns nothing from history"
JarlNick
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 08:04 PM EDT (US)     19 / 30       
Swiss Pikes, Jaeger, Black Rider

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

mista_mista
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 08:31 PM EDT (US)     20 / 30       
Swiss pikes look the coolest, but I like Elmeti performance-wise and voice-wise the best. Their Italian accents rock enough to make them just for that.

ESO2: mista_mista
"Baby, you like shopping? Well, I like sieging town centers and raiding villagers..." -DONofCHRON
"Then theres the aztecs. With their 35 guys on the pit they can spit out vills faster than george bush can spit out troops into Iraq." -Cookiecrisp13
strazzle
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-07 09:19 PM EDT (US)     21 / 30       
Elmeti own
The Elite Lord
Skirmisher
posted 05-01-07 07:00 AM EDT (US)     22 / 30       
Highlanders Rock.

What's so special about The Boss? She beat Jesus in an arm wrestle, that's what! -WallyFeliz
madez007
Skirmisher
posted 05-01-07 02:37 PM EDT (US)     23 / 30       
in a ff as brit i take highlanders 2 protekt my canons with there great hand atack, and thy got range

but jaegers just rools

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 05-01-07 04:46 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30       
Well, Higlanders dont have that GREAT handa attak (compared to their ranged attak)

ranged attak = 63
hand attak = 32

handa attak is only 50% of ranged attak, and other ranged HI (jannie, muskteer) have like 70% of its Ranged Attak.

Well, seems like Higlander, Jaeger, Elmeti, Mameluke and Lil Bombards are the favourite mercs

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 05-01-07 05:53 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30       
it depends on the civ.

As Dutch, highlander are very useful as you dont have muskts, jaeger is not as good because combat card upgraded skirms can be more cost effective.

For German, BR is not that great because WW just as good, but Russian or otto tend to appreciate BR much better.

mamelukes mean a lot more to port and dutch than french.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames