You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.49 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The best and the worst technologies in the game
Bottom
Topic Subject:The best and the worst technologies in the game
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 07:56 PM EDT (US)         
I'll condense both halves of this analysis into one thread, as I suspect the worst technology won't be hard to figure out. What this topic is about is finding the most cost-efficient technology in the game, and conversely the least useful technology for its cost. This covers all researchable items except technology cards (e.g. Advanced Arsenal) and age-ups (because it's rather hard to argue against them). Following the pattern from my other threads, if you want to advocate a particular technology post with reasons and if they're good enough I'll list that technology. Also, I'll subdivide the "best" sticker into four categories: best unique church technology, best minor native technology, best military technology and best economic technology. Here are the best and the worst technologies in the entire game:

Best unique church technology - Petrine Reforms

Best minor native technology - Incan Road-building

Best military technology - Elite Coyote Runner

Best economic technology - Hunting dogs

Worst technology - Wild West

If anyone has a better technology to advocate or a technology even more useless than Wild West please post here.

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match

[This message has been edited by Giskard (edited 05-10-2008 @ 06:05 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 08:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 49       
Best technology Petrine Reforms

You can get it in Age IV after researching Westernalization (900 wood, all unit are veteran), after sending Russian Unique Church card (Tzar Reforms).

This tech makes all your unit Guard for just 2500 gold! And also it is very quickly researched.

If you wanted to pay for all the guard units without this tech, you'll need 5000 Gold&Wood (i think) and also all the buildings and enough time to research.

This tech is simply great.

[This message has been edited by Eicho (edited 05-05-2008 @ 09:04 PM).]

Humility
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 08:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 49       
Tillys discipline rocks. Dopples can now kill their counter with ease!!!!!!!
Flair
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 09:01 PM EDT (US)     3 / 49       
Tilly Reforms
You mean Petrine Reforms (Tilly's Discipline is a unique church tech too, just for the Germans, not the Russians). Yep, that's a pretty solid tech.

Best improvement in the game is hard. There are so many options... if Besterios can count as one because it does improve your xbows as well, it would definitely be a contender. Mercantillism is pretty good, a lot of the Native Big Button techs are very good as well. But after some thought, I've decided that the technology that cost 800 food and allows you to reach Colonial is the very best in the game.

Worst tech: that capitol one that costs like 1000 gold and allows you to support 100 population without the need for houses. How useful... in the Imperial Age.

.blog.
.proud. .Canucker.

[This message has been edited by Flair (edited 05-05-2008 @ 09:02 PM).]

Mapppp
Skirmisher
(id: Jimmy2)
posted 05-05-08 09:02 PM EDT (US)     4 / 49       
Best Tech: Military Drummers! It gives all land military units increased speed, I believe(correct me if I'm wrong). This means better micro, faster raiding, and improved HI that can catch up to annoying skirms. It is useful in every scenario. The only downside is that it costs a card.

Also, someone should organise all these "best of-worst of" threads into one topic, so that we have all this random info in an easy to find place.

◓◓◓◓◓
Darth_Napoleon
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 10:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 49       
Worst technology - Blockade
hmm... i wonder why then they made a NR No Blockade....

ESO: Darth_Napoleon
So i herd you liek mudkipz?
_______
Camp
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 10:48 PM EDT (US)     6 / 49       
Best technology in the game is probably one of the Capitol Upgrades for 50% in each wood, gold, or food... Other notables would be SPIES
CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 11:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 49       
Worst tech: Veteran Grenadier.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 01:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 49       
Worst tech is veteran pikes..... Unless ur spanish. Even then go for the rods lol.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 02:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 49       
Veteran pikes are fine and underused.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

TjRome
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 04:54 AM EDT (US)     10 / 49       
I kind of enjoy Vet Grenadiers...as long as they have the Brit upgrade cards...

Worst Tech: Hmmm...tough one. I keep wanting to include multiple Dutch and Portuguese cards, but those aren't technologies. Perhaps the healer upgrade in the church. I don't think I've ever wasted resources on that. Also, the Arsenal fire-shot upgrade that does more damage to ships has to be one of the fewest researched techs as well...

Best Tech: free Vet upgrades for Lancers, Curs, Skirms, etc (I still wonder why this is in the game...I guess it "encourages" one to get to fortress??).
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 05:08 AM EDT (US)     11 / 49       
@ Eicho:

I agree. Even accounting for the fact that it costs part of a card, it saves a truckload of resources. Editing original post.

@ Flair:

I said age-ups didn't count!

I have been waiting so long to use that emoticon...

@ Camp:

Those upgrades are an absolute must if you do get to Imperial, and maybe I should subdivide my "best" list. Spies is wonderful (particularly for the psychological effect) but it's only really useful for hunting down stray units because if your enemy is anywhere near as strong as you (i.e. Imperial Age stalemate) it will be far too expensive.

@ Jimmy2:

Just search for author "Giskard".

Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
Colonel_UGMO
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 05-06-08 06:38 AM EDT (US)     12 / 49       
I've never found Gas lighting useful.
I would say hunting dogs is more useful and more likely to be used than excessive taxation unless your playing treaty.

ESO NAME: UGMO
I AM USING: TAD
I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 08:09 AM EDT (US)     13 / 49       
Hunting dogs... I suppose so. Changing now. But as for Gas Lighting, you must be joking. That's one of the best technologies! For a rock-bottom price, it vastly increases your defensive line of sight. An invaluable technology in my opinion.

Medio
Skirmisher
(id: Mediolanus)
posted 05-06-08 03:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 49       
Best tech: Advance to Age II (for obvious reasons)

Worst tech: the outlaw upgrade.
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 03:33 PM EDT (US)     15 / 49       
Best military upgrade would be all the native (TWC civs) Veteran upgrade. 25% Attack and HP for 200 wood/100 coin - easily better than military drummers, which you need a card to research as well as it being only 10% speed for the same cost (well, 150/150, same total - Although I know gold is faster)
t gives all land military units increased speed
It only effects infantry units

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe

[This message has been edited by Lord_RichJP (edited 05-06-2008 @ 03:34 PM).]

The Jackal
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 03:47 PM EDT (US)     16 / 49       
Seconded. Blockade actually has the potential of hampering your opponent. The outlaw upgrade is pure, unmitigated useless. My second pick would be spies. It really doesn't give you anything that half-decent scouting won't give you, and it costs a king's ransom. Only useful for ending games against opponents who refuse to give up when they've lost.

Best Unique Church Tech: Tilly's Discipline. Don't get me wrong, Westernization and Peterine Reforms are all fine, but they're essentially a resource discount at day's end. They don't actually offer anything truly unique, they just get the same stuff other civs get, but a bit cheaper. Tilly's is just insane, however, and well worth the extra cost of your troops. It's also especially nice that the tech itself costs nothing.

Best Military Tech: Paper Cartridge. You need advanced arsenal to get it, but it gives a 15% attack upgrade to any gunpowder infantry. I simply can't imagine playing a civ that can get it, and not opting to take it.

The veteran tech, as Lord Rich points out, is also a tough contender. Cheap and effective, especially for the Asians.

Best economic tech: There aren't really many to choose from. You've got the market techs and what, trade route upgrades? Just to be different, I'll pick stagecoach. It's pretty spendy, but if you're in sole possession of a trade route, it pays for itself very, VERY quickly.
Flair
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 04:29 PM EDT (US)     17 / 49       
@ Flair:

I said age-ups didn't count!
To be honest, you've made so many of these thread now, I just saw the thread title and started posting. I was going to with the Imperial Garde and Tufanci Corps, but then I actually read your post and saw that those were outlawed as well... As for the best economic tech, I'd go for the French or Portuguese free ones, Code Napoleon and Econmedia Manor, I believe they're called. Code Napoleon is 50% more expensive buildings but 10% faster gathering for all resources. Once you've gotten all of your plantations/mills up, this is a huge eco bost. Econmedia Manor gives +20% to farming, but -5% to all other gathering from settlers. On water maps, once all of the fish have run out, this is amazing. For no cost, +20% food gathering for a pithy -5% wood gathering (since all of your gold will be gathered from whales).
KenjiCXT
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 05:43 PM EDT (US)     18 / 49       
Blockade is far from a bad tech, it's actually good enough to have ES make a mode where it isnt allowed.

I'd say Blunderbuss which adds more attack to your villagers. It adds like +1 attack giving them a whopping 4 ranged and better range.

Q: How do I get veteran skirms as the dutch?
- you have to buy the upgrade in the the barracks lol it should be under the skimiser logo. -you have to be in age3 to get veteran and age 4 to get guard.
After realizing they get automatically upgraded:
- o right i play brits so i just guessed.....thats slighly embarrasing lol

"Ah, the wonderful smell of failure!" - George_III on a full-capslocked topic.
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 06:22 PM EDT (US)     19 / 49       
@ Mediolanus:
Best tech: Advance to Age II (for obvious reasons)

@ Lord_RichJP:

Yes, the cheaper, stronger veteran upgrades are wonderful... but for which unit are they best?

@ The Jackal:
Seconded. Blockade actually has the potential of hampering your opponent. The outlaw upgrade is pure, unmitigated useless
I disagree. Neither technology is worth the cost, but I could potentially see a use for superior outlaws. Blockade... not really.

@ Flair:
To be honest, you've made so many of these thread now
Four, including this one. Is that very many?
I was going to with the Imperial Garde and Tufanci Corps, but then I actually read your post and saw that those were outlawed as well
Sorry, perhaps my instructions weren't one hundred percent clear. Those technologies are perfectly allowed, I was simply stating that this thread was not the place to post in favour of units or cards.

CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 06:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 49       
Actually, I've found Blunderbuss to come in handy sometimes, especially if you're French!

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 11:44 AM EDT (US)     21 / 49       
@ Lord_RichJP:

Yes, the cheaper, stronger veteran upgrades are wonderful... but for which unit are they best?
Well each one effects the unit by the same amount so it really could be any that doesn't go on to get replaced (ie. Aenna) So coyotes, Kanyas, war clubs, etc. Any is good

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
The Jackal
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 12:26 PM EDT (US)     22 / 49       
I disagree. Neither technology is worth the cost, but I could potentially see a use for superior outlaws.
What possible use could that be? Outlaws are by far the most pop ineffective units in the game. Their stats are universally terrible in relation to their cost, their unique building that spawns them limits their rate of deployment, and they don't enjoy any of the build time enhancements you can develop at the church. And, of course, the cost purely gold, in a game where gold mines are a critical resource for which you need to exercise map control, or spend buckets of resources for planations. In short, they're terrible.
Blockade is far from a bad tech
The tech isn't allowed in the gameplay mode that serious players say shouldn't be allowed.
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 05:52 PM EDT (US)     23 / 49       
What possible use could that be? Outlaws are by far the most pop ineffective units in the game. Their stats are universally terrible in relation to their cost, their unique building that spawns them limits their rate of deployment, and they don't enjoy any of the build time enhancements you can develop at the church. And, of course, the cost purely gold, in a game where gold mines are a critical resource for which you need to exercise map control, or spend buckets of resources for planations. In short, they're terrible.
Agreed, Agreed, Agreed. Of course this technology is useless, but is it more useless than Blockade? I'm not certain which outlaws are best, but I think some of them would at least be worth building with this technology. It's not cheap, but at least it's not into five figures! By the time anyone has enough money for Blockade, the enemy will have sent all his/her decent shipments, and the only thing Blockade will do is stop them from sending some Colonial military card he/she didn't use or a rubbish infinite shipment that costs 3000 XP a go.

Medio
Skirmisher
(id: Mediolanus)
posted 05-07-08 06:03 PM EDT (US)     24 / 49       
Blockade certainly has use in treaty (at least I think so, why else would they make a no blockade version), the outlaw upgrade has none at all. It's an industrial upgrade, but the units that are being upgraded are weak and cost a lot of pop space. You know, the thing of which the maximum actually plays a role half past fortress.
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 06:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 49       
@ The Jackal & Mediolanus:

Very well. As you have argued your point well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I still don't think Blockade could ever be worth it, but I have no experience in Treaty so I'll take your word for it that it can be useful. Changing now.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames