You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.30 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Sharing on Power Rating
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sharing on Power Rating
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
lofung
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 04:35 PM EDT (US)         
I noticed that some newbies lack a sense of power rating that they dunno that pr carries some meaning rather than only a junk title. And some have no idea how should they improve in order to climb up the ladder. I have seen a past-clanmate stucked in master sergeant a year ago just before i leave. After I came back, he is still there. So i am writing this 'sharing' to give people an idea what meaning these title carries, to me at least. Some people may say that PR cannot tell ones true ability but i would like to say that from his title, you can still tell something roughly.

Pros can stop reading now since this is no help to you although you are welcomed to share your views.

Notice that it is meaningless to tell the skills of a person who have play a few games since pr only settles when a reasonably amount of games is played, say 100 at least.

conscript
total newbie. its really hard to go back this stage after some games imho.

private to corporal
people of these ranks hardly rushes. they are still elementary learners in this game and lack the apporiate skills to defend attacks, like feeding archers to horses. there is really no big difference between these pr.

sergeant
people reaching this stage at least will understand rushing and being rushed is something usual and eager to do something about it although they hardly success to experienced rushers.

master sergeant
these people start to abuse the power of rushing and will try to rush whenever possible although they wont be very successful against lieutenants since they cant make proper and efficient rushes. they know something about countering and will not make mistakes so easily compared to sergeants.

2nd lieutenant
this is the place for players who knows how to rush properly and efficiently. people will not give up easily. however, some of them still lack the knowledge of countering civilizations with the 'best' strategy.

--------skilless noob bashers do not appear below this line------

2nd lieutenant is somewhere those skilless noob bashers will reach. By purely rushing, not necessarily fast and furious
, will win most of the players from conscript to master sergeants but not to those 2nd lieutenants getting used to rush, of course.

1st lieutenant
Reaching this stage meaning that players start microing a lot. Most people will know the 'best' method to counter different civilizations. stupid mistakes are hardly seen here.

captain and above
starting from hereis the club for the pros. people understand all game mechanics and take microing as aerobic exercise. all players on or above captain will have a decay on their pr if they do not play for sometime. major is someone who is better than captain which is quite difficult to describe already. beyond major is dessert with little people. and thats the place the nerds would end up :P

these are all based on my observation from the dawn of aoe3 to now. please feel free to share ideas
AuthorReplies:
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 05-07-08 04:49 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30       
meaning rather than only a junk title
It is a junk title.

/thread.
beyond major is dessert with little people. and thats the place the nerds would end up :P
You lost any credibility in this post because of this. Just because you aren't good enough to play at a higher rating casually like others doesn't mean everyone else is a nerd. Also, I like having dessert with little people, they tend to eat less of my jell-o.

Also, I win most of my games by turtling. Rushing isn't everything in this game.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 05-07-2008 @ 04:55 PM).]

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 04:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30       
Yeah Kiv, that's the way to own noobs!
CookieCrisp13
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 05:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 30       
Well.. its only because russia and Dutch are turtling behemoths Japs, Sioux, and ottos dont exactly fare too well turtling themselves.

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 05:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 30       
Everyone rated below me is a n00b, who can't rush well (the only true strategy), everyone above me is a nerd
A more concise version of what you are trying to say?

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe

[This message has been edited by Lord_RichJP (edited 05-07-2008 @ 05:16 PM).]

Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 05:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 30       
Japs are turtle machines... Russia is les so with the sevas nerf...

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 05:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 30       
I'm a Russian player, and in this patch i almost never turtle. (I have Sevas and National Redoubt in none of my decks)
CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 05:43 PM EDT (US)     7 / 30       
Woo hoo! I'm a professional nerd who takes microing as an aerobic exercise!

But honestly, why do nooblet fools always assume that people higher than them must have no lives and just spend 19 hours a day playing AOE3 and 5 sleeping?

Look at grunt. Grunt plays FAR less than your average nooblet, he's just good.

However the noob OP has a point that Capt+ is a dessert with little people. I suppose that if a cannibal was having a dessert, he'd probably pick a scrumptuous little person, and there have to be some little people that are Capt+.

It is also kind of a DESERT with little people because being first loot puts you in the 90th percentile, so there are actually few people up at that rank.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 06:26 PM EDT (US)     8 / 30       
If someone is better than you, they MUST be a nerd. I see the logic. =]

I don't think you should go so far as to say that all people below sergeant have no grasp of basic strategy. I haven't played 100 games yet (I just started playing multiplayer a few days ago), so I suppose it isn't too bad if I'm one of them.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 05-07-08 06:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 30       
Everyone rated below me is a n00b, who can't rush well (the only true strategy), everyone above me is a nerd
A more concise version of what you are trying to say?
This made me chuckle, hehe.

Naw, every time Japan tries to turtle against me, they get mauled because they need map control for their little shrines.

akib99
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 06:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 30       
Dude, everyone can make stupid mistakes. Just being at a certain PR (a stupid ranking method imo) doesn't mean one doesnt. I was a major in vanilla, yet i still make some of the mistakes i make now (2nd lt).
Flair
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 07:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 30       
Also, I like having dessert with little people, they tend to eat less of my jell-o.
You are, without a doubt, the funniest person on these forums.
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 07:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 30       
Nice Kivly you got a fan!

Wanna see Kivly doing some lame jokes and acting immature in Experts chat?
Turk Janissary
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 07:51 PM EDT (US)     13 / 30       

I agree that the comment from the HOST is quite stupid!!!!! Idiotic even, but there is a small amount of truth in it!

Look at a brigadier for example.... he must have spent lots of time in the chair in front of the pc playing to perfection!!!! However thats not what makes him a nerd!!! As i see lots of lower rank players who simply cant get into the mecanics of the game, and spend whole days playing!!!!!

I play pc even of the internet, but i establish limits, i think we become NERDS when we lose control of the game, when the game controls us!!!!

I also say that those people who prefer to sit playing instead of going out with friends are NERDS. (in general dont flame me for this,) As they prefer isolation.

INERENT to this issue is something that i wont discuss

HIgher rank players(this applies for mostgames)are quite "large". lets just say that! which is quite worrying. But i leave the "large" issue for your parents to talk to you.

WHAT THE BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT I am no Turk i am Portuguese ..... I just like to play Turk
And the 50 thousand Janissarys came upon the byzantine walls Constantinople and the byzantine empire were about to end..
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 05-07-08 08:12 PM EDT (US)     14 / 30       
Your mom jokes aren't immature, they're ironic!
Look at a brigadier for example.... he must have spent lots of time in the chair in front of the pc playing to perfection!!!!
Not necessarily, there are people who are just naturally good at RTS games, they can sit down, play a couple hours to learn the mechanics and within a couple days of a few hours playing be playing at a Captain level+.
HIgher rank players(this applies for mostgames)are quite "large". lets just say that! which is quite worrying. But i leave the "large" issue for your parents to talk to you.
Sweet, we've gone from stereotyping the better players as nerds to stereotyping them as fat. This thread is pure win.

The Jackal
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 08:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 30       
The OP is desperately missing the point of the player rating system, as are a good majority of the players. The purpose of the player rating system is to give you as good and challenging opponent in the blind matchup system as is possible.

That is its only function. Having a higher rating doesn't make you a nerd, or cooler, or less cool. It just means you have a higher rating.

What really makes me laugh is the fools who disconnect to preserve their rating when they're beaten. All they're accomplishing is making sure that they continue to be matched up against opponents who outclass them, and thus make for less interesting games.

My point is this: The rating is there to help everyone enjoy the game more. That is all.
George_uk
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 08:29 PM EDT (US)     16 / 30       
You think way too highly of 1st lts

Previously known as MoNo Ager
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 05-07-08 08:33 PM EDT (US)     17 / 30       
I can't stand people who disconnect like that, Jackal. =[

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-08 01:05 AM EDT (US)     18 / 30       
I'm a conscript. Anyone higher ranked than me is a nerd!!!!!!! I'm actually Master Sgt. on TAD. Some games I win, some I lose. I really dunno wtf to do to get back my 2nd lt. rank. I'm a good microer. I suppose it's just little smalle problems that I screw up on.
Colonel_UGMO
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 05-08-08 05:38 AM EDT (US)     19 / 30       
Now why would everyone be taking so much offence to someone calling people who play games nerds unless you know you are one . My definition of a nerd is someone who plays video games. So therefore we're all nerds whether its a bad thing or not. Although there are bigger nerds than others like people who Taunt 25!
And they were also funny the first time only.
Not necessarily, there are people who are just naturally good at RTS games, they can sit down, play a couple hours to learn the mechanics and within a couple days of a few hours playing be playing at a Captain level+.
They might be naturally good at aoe3 but they probably honed their skillz playing some other RTS game for years like AoM or Empire DOTMW. There would be few people who have never played an RTS before can just pick it up and be awesome in a couple of hours. However some people do learn faster than others.

ESO NAME: UGMO
I AM USING: TAD
I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-08 11:27 AM EDT (US)     20 / 30       
Your mum jokes are the best kind or jokes

StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-08 01:23 PM EDT (US)     21 / 30       
your mom jokes ARE immature and so old. That's like a 90's thing ppl. It's the past, let it go. :P
adamh43524
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-08 03:24 PM EDT (US)     22 / 30       
Hi im a sarg and i recon ur definition of sarg is quite unfair, i definatly know how to micro, my rush is good aswell and ive beaten a good few master sargs, a few 2nd lts and some 1st lts, and i do know how to defend a rush.
I also have a pritty good idea about how to couter each civ.. apart from the asian ones i still havent played many of these players as i only just got TAD 2 weeks ago...and my router screwed up but thats beside the point!

o yeah and ur mum jokes are timeless lol!
JimXIX
Kings Guard
posted 05-08-08 04:17 PM EDT (US)     23 / 30       
But honestly, why do nooblet fools always assume that people higher than them must have no lives and just spend 19 hours a day playing AOE3 and 5 sleeping?
I used to. But when I got a job and also my work here at HG I had a lot less time to play and a few more hours sleep a night. Since then I have moved up from Captain to Major. :P

So the moral of this story is, if you want to get better don't obsess over the game or you will never be able to focus and tire yourself out from playing it too much. You will find it hard to improve in this 4 hours sleep a day state.

You'll remember that four (!) hour game against that crazy Russian that wouldn't give up, not realizing he was playing someone who in real life actually is a crazy Russian, that won't give up either. - Ender_Ward

[This message has been edited by JimXIX (edited 05-08-2008 @ 04:18 PM).]

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 05-08-08 07:04 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30       
It's the same with any game, once you hit a rut and start losing, you will keep losing until you stop playing. Casual players hit the rut and stop and maintain their rank, fanatical players keep playing because they like to and their rank fluctuates like a sine wave.

khayosk
Skirmisher
posted 05-11-08 01:24 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30       
Jackal, while its refreshing to see someone with such optimism about the PR system, I think that you have also missed the point. While the PR system was originally intended to improve game matching, this intention has rarely been it's use. Instead, it has and was always expected to be 'missused' as fuel for the innate fire of competition that burns inside every gamer. We play for fun, then to win and to win we must be better and the PR gives a measure (however inaccurate it may be) of each player's ability, so that we may estimate the outcome of a matchup before playing it.

Having a higher rating doesn't make you a nerd, or cooler, or less cool. It just means you have a higher rating.
I wish that this were true, but clearly there is a trend, in general the higher the PR the more likely the opponent is to lose, it certainly doesnt mean you just have a higher rating.

And, I think we'll all agree that being a Brigadier is cooler than a Conscript.

Girls do it harder and faster...

ESO Name: Khayos
Clan: Legion of Carnage ({L-C})
Version: Vanilla (I was very unimpressed with the x-packs, so I ditched them)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames