Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The Manual
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Manual
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-08 08:19 AM EDT (US)         
Im sure most have read the original user manual for the Vanilla game. But there are quite a few problems with it... I wonder if they wrote the manual before finishing the game and then changed game aspects but forgot to change the manual. Like it says that CdB's can double as soldiers but I tryed that and they were massacred by a couple of infantrymen. Also It says that Landsnechts are equipped with halberds, but on the game they have swords. Another one is that the manual says that cannons rip though sails, buildings collapse without warning etc. Never seen a cannonball rip a sail yet... or a building defy its HP bar and collapse.
I there a good reason for this manual to be so wrong?

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
AuthorReplies:
Gun_Guy
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-08 09:10 AM EDT (US)     1 / 31       
I'd say the manual was printed, and then game was changed. F.ex. war wagons don't use cannon.
One accurate thing which is very true is that CdB can work as soldiers. They can hit and run musketeers and other short ranged/melee infantry to death, and in melee they can take down small groups of skirmishers and cannon.
If you have High Poly Models (I think it was?) turned on buildings will collapse, but not without having their HP depleted first.
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-08 09:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 31       
Yes CdB's can fight but you wouldnt get them to unless in an emergency. Yes buildings collapse i know. Anyway im glad they dont die without warning... that would be annoying.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-08 11:55 AM EDT (US)     3 / 31       
If you read the manual, you'll also find references to a game mode called "Four of a Kind," which seems to be the original version of Trade Monopoly, where you could build four Trading Posts and win. (on the page that talks about winning Supremacy games)

[This message has been edited by General_II (edited 11-03-2008 @ 11:56 AM).]

Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-08 12:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31       
@ General_II:

I saw that as well. Not quite so funny when you genuinely believe it exists and blow your second ever ESO game by building four trading posts and waiting triumphantly for your victory.

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-08 06:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31       
There's a manual?

Some things have changed, I think most of them are the unit descriptions being in-accurate.
KevTheGreat
Scenario Expert
posted 11-03-08 06:18 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31       
i also believe that it said something about unlocking an ability to be able to build a fort, did they mean lvl?

AGE OF EMPIRES 3 USERNAME - KevTheGreat :::: DAWN OF WAR 2 USERNAME - KEVTHEGREATEST :::: STEAM USERNAME - 何健龍
Some of my aoe3 scenarios here,
Most Popular: The Race 2 4.7/5.0 Global Wars 4.4/5.0 The Great Colosseum 4.6/5.0 Arab Desert 4V2 3.9/5.0 The Race 4.2/5 Fort of War 3.9/5.0
don't click this?
Follow me on Twitter
我知廣東話, 你知唔知廣東話?? 如果你知 contact me !!
FenrisWulf
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-08 06:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31       
If you read the manual, you'll also find references to a game mode called "Four of a Kind," which seems to be the original version of Trade Monopoly, where you could build four Trading Posts and win. (on the page that talks about winning Supremacy games)
I remember reading about that! I've always wondered if anyone else noticed it. I tried to do it in singleplayer once, didn't suceed, and never thought about it again. There were some other things that left me confused after reading the manual, but I can't remember what.

I love Marneus Calgar more than anyone else at Heavengames!
Accomplishments:
The Run Back Home (for AoM)(4.2),Arrow Key Movement (for AoM), WorldMap v2 (3.1)(for AoE3) Fight for Life RPG (For AoE3)
Work In Progress:
Click Upon an Old Man (30% complete)
polydeuces
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-08 06:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31       
The original manual also says that British Rockets were one only shot weapons.

I'm not surprised they took out damaged buildings randomly collapsing- that would have got frustrating very quickly.
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 02:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31       
yes rockets explode only once.. that would be bad if they were expensive and they had autoattack and they fire at a 1hr old minuteman....

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 11-04-08 12:27 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31       
The deluxe Strategy Guide that came with the original Box Set was also hilarious.

It said things like Otto are not suited to rush...lol

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 04:46 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31       
lol. it also says that spanish are the easiest to play, going to the ottomans. I dont think thats true or else everyone would be playing spanish

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
Dabottle
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 05:09 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31       
yeah the strategy guide in collectors edition said the french have a rush where you age quickly to fortress and spam cuirs lmao

ESO Name: Dabottle
Clan: TSR (The Soul Reapers)
Civs: Britain, China, France and Sioux
Check out my-->Guide to China (Will update soon)
ROFL
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 05:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31       
are you eside irish? u have same avatar and location... yet you are dabottle....

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
Dabottle
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 05:23 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31       
lol i am not i just like longbows lol

ROFL
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 05:29 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31       
ok. i love em too but ppl are going to think u are eside irish, especially as u are both irish too. How do you get those avatars of units from AOE?

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 07:13 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31       
Ooooh, Eside might not like that you stole his avatar.... 0_0
Dan von Steuben
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 08:10 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31       
I remember the one about the War Wagons getting cannons. I remember upgrading them all the way and wondering where the cannons were.
Eside Irish
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 08:59 PM EDT (US)     18 / 31       
To settle this, 1v1 Brit mirror, longbows only, winner takes avatar.

And yes the game manual is very sloppy, I'm guessing they started printing and then made the changes to the game.

[This message has been edited by Eside Irish (edited 11-04-2008 @ 08:59 PM).]

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-08 09:24 PM EDT (US)     19 / 31       
Nope, no ESO games. As the Code of Forumers Relations (CFR) states, in Article 6, Avatars & Signatures, i quote:
If an avatar is disputed between 2 or more people (meaning they all wanna use the same avatar, but that can't be! so they wanna fight for it) then Eicho has the right to decide in which kind of battle those people should fight for the avatar

[This message has been edited by Eicho (edited 11-04-2008 @ 09:25 PM).]

Eside Irish
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-08 06:49 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31       
Alright we should meet in real life and have an archery competition.
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-08 07:15 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31       
what aimed at each other? well maybe one of you will have the sense to get the Yeomenry card...

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
Colonel_UGMO
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 11-05-08 07:17 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31       
buildings collapse without warning etc. Never seen a cannonball rip a sail yet... or a building defy its HP bar and collapse
Sooo If I attack your Town center with my explorer and do 1 damage, there is a chance that it will randomly collapse and I win

ESO NAME: UGMO
I AM USING: TAD
I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.
Dabottle
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-08 09:52 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31       
stupid new ava won't load

ROFL
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-08 12:49 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31       
well i expect there would be a 1 in a 1000 chance every second for it to randomly fall. thats if the explorer took off 1 hp off a 1000 hp town centre.
im just guessing here lol

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
Gun_Guy
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-08 01:53 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31       
Guys, if you want I can make a scenario with randomly failing buildings.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames