You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.99 replies, Closed
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Suggestion for a chat!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Suggestion for a chat!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 11-06-08 03:58 AM EDT (US)         
Hello my fellow forumers!

I think I have the one and only solution to stop threads going off-topic!

How about having a sticky called "Chat" in General Discussions, where we just chat about off-topic AOE3 things, without having to go off-topic in other threads, and stop making new threads.

I will set-up a vote here, so I can know your opinions.

- Yes, I want a "Chat" thread. Votes: 9 - Colonel_UGMO, Dr House, Arcane Ranger, BurningSushi460, Droideka_11, Gun_Guy, Cholesterol, Eicho, macndouche,

- No, I don't want a "Chat" thread. Votes: 3 - Lying Dutchman, Giskard, BrianManahan

This is a great idea to stop threads going off-topic, and just have a fun place to chat it the General Discussions of Age Of Empires 3 Heaven!

Come on guys! If any of you people are out there who just read the forums, sign up and post in here if you think it is a good idea!

So, post with your vote!

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 11-07-2008 @ 01:22 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 11-06-08 06:01 PM EDT (US)     26 / 99       
I got an idea to keep you guys from going off-topic.

Disable signatures and voila 90% of off-topic posts are dealt with.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-08 06:01 PM EDT (US)     27 / 99       
Fenris, we dont want Salooners to get into our offtopic rants
Are you sure?

[This message has been edited by Eicho (edited 11-06-2008 @ 06:02 PM).]

BrianManahan
Banned
posted 11-06-08 06:03 PM EDT (US)     28 / 99       
Droideka, how about you shut up? Don't be so thin-skinned. If you can't take what I have to say, even stuff that's not even directed at a person, then you just better get off, bud.

THIS TOPIC BY VERY NATURE IS OFF TOPIC. SO GET RID OF IT.
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-08 06:10 PM EDT (US)     29 / 99       
Brian, all threads are off-topic now... This is simply a suggestion thread because NO ONE checks the suggestion part of the forum. More popular to post here.

A suggestion is useful for the mods to consider, not for you to flame. The mods will decide whether it is useful or not, they don't need your opinion.
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-08 06:11 PM EDT (US)     30 / 99       
Yay, it's another Giskard vs. everyone else debate.

@ Everyone who posted in support of the Chat thread:

I'll post this again: I don't like the Saloon.

It's a very thoughtless place where people post without thinking and use idiotic and ignorant language (like "gay" as a generic insult) to say completely random things.

(NOTE: This is not true in all cases. Sometimes genuine and high-quality debates, such as those in my "Computerised Dictatorship" Saloon thread can be set up with intelligent and well thought out arguments, but those are rare.)

Of course, this is why you all object to posting in the Saloon. It is not conducive to quality discussion. But think to yourself, why is this? The Saloon community has not devolved from forum standards for the sake of it. Mass off-topic discussion is, quite simply, designed to be poor quality.

Consider the differences between a standard GD thread (for example, this one) and a standard Saloon thread (for example, "GODDAMN IT"). The Saloon thread is not a bad one. The point made by its poster is one I completely agree with and I'm glad it has been made. There is also a genuine debate going on in the thread about the role of theocracy in modern society. So wherein lies the problem?

In a thread like this I would never randomly spampost a picture of a kitten and say "Isn't that cute". (Nor, for that matter, would I in the Saloon, but I am an oddball with weird ideas about quality posting so we'll ignore what I'd do.) ImperialLobster would not do that either, and nor would 95% of forumers. A couple of less mature posters might but they would be heavily criticised for it. However, in the Saloon that sort of thing would be either funny or if not funny perfectly acceptable. As another example, I am posting a long argument that may or may not be correct but has at least been thought out. If this were a Saloon thread ImperialLobster could post "NO because you are ghey" and be applauded for it. I could go on, but you get the point.

Of course a little off-topic discussion is very healthy. It gives flavour and spice to things, and lets threads develop in imaginative and interesting ways. But it is always centered around an original on-topic idea. When a sticky is devoted entirely to Off-topic posting it becomes garbage with perhaps a few aesthetically pleasing piles of junk here and there. (You could say the same about my now ex-stickies but they're very insecure at the moment so you might hurt their feelings.)

NOTE: That was a slightly off-topic sentence in the brackets, but it did no harm and was centered I LIKE HIPPOS!!! around the topic, as contrasting to randomly interjecting something for the sake of it.

Finally, it could be argued that the Chat sticky should be for semi-topic things, or anything about AOE3. Now let me think, where do we have a facility for general discussions about the game?

• If you want to post something off-topic, post in the Saloon so you don't contaminate GD or SC. If you want to post something off-topic and start an intelligent discussion that won't be spammed, post it in the Library forum. (It's designed for intelligent off-topic discussion, and is, believe me, very different from the Saloon.)

• If you want to post something related to AOE3 in anyway, make a thread. If it's a simple question post it in Q & A, if it's a war story post it in War Stories and so on.

We have no need for a Chat sticky. If one were created it would simply be a microcosm of the Saloon: give it a month and everything you dislike about the Saloon and its posters would be in that sticky and degrading the rest of the forum.

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
    Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
    Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
    BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
  • BrianManahan
    Banned
    posted 11-06-08 06:12 PM EDT (US)     31 / 99       
    All threads are off topic?? How? You make zero sense.
    Arcane Ranger
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 06:18 PM EDT (US)     32 / 99       
    You haven't noticed? After the first 25-40 posts after the question/suggestions have been asked/answered, the place is there just for general chat.
    Giskard
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 06:18 PM EDT (US)     33 / 99       
    Wow, it took me so long to type that post things have overtaken a little.

• FenrisWulf agrees with me.

• BrianManahan is trolling. Please stop now.

• The Eicho Wars ceasefire has broken up, with the added complication of BrianManahan.

Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
    BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
  • Droideka_11
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 06:20 PM EDT (US)     34 / 99       
    @Brian
    Alright from this point on im just going to ignore you and you're trolling.
    @LordKivlov
    Ummm are you ok? You've seemed really cranky throughout this thread.
    Just because your comfortable with the saloon and the salooners themselves doesn't mean we are, we want a thread/forum, to ourselves.
    I have a feeling that if I make a thread in the saloon then salooners will just make random comments on it and no one from GD&SC will respond to it because no one from here posts there.

Really hope Cookie will hear us out.

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret

[This message has been edited by Droideka_11 (edited 11-06-2008 @ 06:21 PM).]

Giskard
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 06:23 PM EDT (US)     35 / 99       
    @ Droideka_11:

Wow, LordKivlov really posted that? I wouldn't have believed it of him/her, but if you're sure that quote is accurate then I'll take your word for it.

EDIT: Something really nasty tells me nobody else saw that misquote before you edited it.

[This message has been edited by Giskard (edited 11-06-2008 @ 06:25 PM).]

Droideka_11
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 06:43 PM EDT (US)     36 / 99       
    @Giskard
    Yeah he/she really did say that, its further up on the thread. Eicho also quoted he/she.

I realize kivlov wasn't serious about it though, its just that he didn't really address the issue.
    He/She's already stated that he/she thinks this is a bad idea and that we should just post in the saloon.
    Maybe this IS a bad idea but he/she hasn't heard us out at all.
    If he/she did then maybe we could find a solution to the problem.

[This message has been edited by Droideka_11 (edited 11-06-2008 @ 06:50 PM).]

BrianManahan
    Banned
    posted 11-06-08 06:45 PM EDT (US)     37 / 99       
    What the *HECK* is wrong with some of you?

"ZOMG, So and So was.... (gasp) CRANKY toward me on a forum. My life is in ruins and shambles!11"

@ Your Faces

The Aoe3Heaven General Discussions section is not a separate website.
    we want a thread/forum, to ourselves.
    TOUGH LUCK! If you want to post random off topic crap then, gee, I have a suggestion on where you can do it!

That's right! It's called the SALOON.

To quote the Saloon's description:::::
    This is where you come down to chat about anything not related to Age of Empires III.
    And if that's not good enough for you, then get AIM or MSN or myspace or whatevertheheckyawant. Keep useless drivel (like this thread) off of this section: it's the only place left (aside from Strategy Central) where people actually DO occasionally talk about the game.
    Droideka_11
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 06:48 PM EDT (US)     38 / 99       
    Ummm did you guys hear something? I sure didn't

Eicho
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 06:49 PM EDT (US)     39 / 99       
    The Saloon would be a good place for us to have our offtopic discussions, if the salooners weren't there.
    Giskard, if we have a "Chat thread" here, it wont turn into a saloon thread, simply because we would be the ones posting in it, and not salooners. We (GD community) have a different posting style than salooners, im sure that no one would go into the Chat thread and post a picture of a kitty with a silly face saying "4 THE LULZ!", or anything like that, with other people aproving it (well, maybe it happens in a certain situation, but not as much as it does in saloon for sure).

Kiverly is just too biased, just because he likes saloon he thinks we should all like it.. then i dont know cheese and cookie's opinion, since they havent said it here.

One a side note, i declare a Massive ignorant & indifferent attitude towards BrianManahan, for all forumers. This is made so hopefully, Brian gets pissed because no one pays attention at his trolling, and sooner or later he'll stop doing it, and leave the forums.

[This message has been edited by Eicho (edited 11-06-2008 @ 06:54 PM).]

BrianManahan
    Banned
    posted 11-06-08 06:58 PM EDT (US)     40 / 99       
    Ummm did you guys hear something? I sure didn't
    You're adorable. I've never even heard that one before.
    The Saloon would be a good place for us to have our offtopic discussions, if the salooners weren't there.
    As I said, go somewhere else.
    LordKivlov
    Royal Guard
    posted 11-06-08 07:45 PM EDT (US)     41 / 99       
    My statement about the signatures was based on the last 10 or so threads being derailed by pissing contests about who's signature is better. It's frustrating trying to keep everyone on topic and the forums working when everyone is derailing the thread with pointless banter. No, it was not a serious suggestion to fix the problem but I was trying to make a point by saying it.
    Encourage responsible use of our forums and discourage activities which disrupt our community and reduce the value of our services to our visitors
    Derailing threads is disrupting the purpose of these forums. This is one of the principle guidelines (Which I know most of you have never read so http://forums.heavengames.com/support/tos.shtmlgo read them now.)

As for you guys being afraid of the Saloon. Don't be, it's different because their attitude is much more relaxed than it is up here. Look through the older topics they post, it's the same stuff that is going on up here, but it's in the proper place. Most of them were AoE3 players at one point or another, many of them have stopped playing and just hung around. A lot of valid discussion goes on, with well thought out arguments and supporting evidence.
    Don't believe me that they were GD&SC at one point? http://aoe3.heavengames.com/php/units/Made by Elpea (and Talon), one of the regulars to the Saloon.
    Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
    Please stop calling me Kiverly, Eicho.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 11-06-2008 @ 07:52 PM).]

Emperor_Kyle
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 08:01 PM EDT (US)     42 / 99       
    The only people who are arguing about signatures are James and Bottle...You should take their sigs away. -insert evil laugh here-
    Just kidding guys.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
    Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
    "The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
    Arcane Ranger
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 09:07 PM EDT (US)     43 / 99       
    Why hasn't Brian been banned yet? His trolling is a pain in the A$$.

Meh, their threads are kind of stupid topic based in my opinion, although their discussions aren't too bad.
    BrianManahan
    Banned
    posted 11-06-08 09:25 PM EDT (US)     44 / 99       
    Why hasn't Brian been banned yet? His trolling is a pain in the A$$.
    Trolling, huh? So everyone else is allowed to voice their opinions however they please but I am not?

Also if it seriously does cause you physical pain, then you need to get up and take a 10 minute break every hour.
    Arcane Ranger
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 09:35 PM EDT (US)     45 / 99       
    You were, but your continuos trolling has made us lose any respect of you we had.
    Also if it seriously does cause you physical pain, then you need to get up and take a 10 minute break every hour.
    You took that too seriously... Way too seriously.

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 11-06-2008 @ 09:36 PM).]

Droideka_11
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 10:24 PM EDT (US)     46 / 99       
    @Arcane
    Seriously who are you talking to?
    All I see is a blank where your quoting someone but I don't know who.
    I thought it might be that troll brian but I don't think it is because we haven't seen him post here in a while, its like he just left and went to troll another website

@Everyone
    I guess we just have to wait and see if cookie or cheese are going to do something
    (Ewww cookies with cheese)

Emperor_Kyle
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-06-08 11:00 PM EDT (US)     47 / 99       
    Yummy.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
    Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
    "The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
    A_US_James246
    Scenario Reviewer
    (id: James246)
    posted 11-07-08 01:22 AM EDT (US)     48 / 99       
    I am totally for such a thread.

...And my cat is too... does that make 2 votes?
    No, sorry
    @ James246:

It's brilliant that you're volunteering ideas, keep it up. Just because this one is flawed that shouldn't keep you from making suggestions that could potentially improve the quality of the site.
    What?

It's not "flawled".

Some of you don't realise what I'm trying to say..... IT'S A CHAT FOR THINGS ABOUT AGE OF EMPIRES 3. We are not allowed to post stuff about Age Of Empires 3 in the Saloon.

This thread will just be for having a general chat about Age Of Empires 3 instead of having to go off-topic in other threads!
    YES SI OUI
    Is that Yes or No?
    James you need to update the main post already
    :P I post at the same time everyday, so :P.
    2. If you have something to say, such as talking about sigs in James's example, why not just talk about them in the saloon? I still don't see a problem with this. They go off topic, but I'm fairly certain that an off topic thread will go even more off topic. I mean, wouldn't that be the whole point?
    A ha. If we post about our sigs in the Saloon, pretty much no one who posts in GD and SC post and read the Saloon, so we wouldn't read it.

That's why I'm wanting a Chat Thread in GD!
    Giskard, if we have a "Chat thread" here, it wont turn into a saloon thread, simply because we would be the ones posting in it, and not salooners. We (GD community) have a different posting style than salooners, im sure that no one would go into the Chat thread and post a picture of a kitty with a silly face saying "4 THE LULZ!", or anything like that, with other people aproving it (well, maybe it happens in a certain situation, but not as much as it does in saloon for sure).

Kiverly is just too biased, just because he likes saloon he thinks we should all like it.. then i dont know cheese and cookie's opinion, since they havent said it here.
    Excatly! We really need this thread to talk about random Age Of Empires III stuff.

I hope Cookie or Cheese agree! Cookie or Cheese, if you do agree, tell me, and I'll make a "Chat" thread.

Come on guys! If any of you people are out there who just read the forums, sign up and post in here if you think it is a good idea!

Also, I updated the main post.
    Cheesewiz
    HG Alumnus
    posted 11-07-08 02:04 AM EDT (US)     49 / 99       
    Made by Elpea (and Talon), one of the regulars to the Saloon.
    Well, I would say Elpea goes beyond just a mere regular of the saloon...considering that he is my boss...The Seraph of Seraphs if you will.

And no I don't think an off topic thread in a GD forum is a very good idea. We have the Saloon, and I promise you we don't bite. Besides, the Saloon is inactive enough as it is, pouring some flesh blood into it might be a good idea. Just keep your skin thick and learn to get the jokes. You'll be fine.

If you guys post there, just be sure to read the guidelines, and there won't be much the Salooners will say to you. They may seem really random, but thre reality is that they are actually supurb forumers (Most of them have been here for years (5 and a half myself, but I'm not the longest running member by far)) who now find it funny to act like really bad forumers. Ironic, yes, I know, but it is rather funny.

And yes, I promise to fuss at them and hit them with sticks if they attack you mercilessly. But...so long as your threads and posts are of decent quality...you'll be fine.

Afterall, they're just young folks on a computer too...well actually a few of them are married with kids...but...most of them are just college students...like me!

EDIT: I know, I'm evil.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
    World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing

[This message has been edited by Cheesewiz (edited 11-07-2008 @ 02:14 AM).]

Droideka_11
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-07-08 02:16 AM EDT (US)     50 / 99       
    Alright I guess we don't have a choice, I'll post in the saloon.

@People from GD&SC
    I want you guys to post there too though. Im gona be lonely with just the salooners

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames