You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.99 replies, Closed
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Suggestion for a chat!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Suggestion for a chat!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 11-06-08 03:58 AM EDT (US)         
Hello my fellow forumers!

I think I have the one and only solution to stop threads going off-topic!

How about having a sticky called "Chat" in General Discussions, where we just chat about off-topic AOE3 things, without having to go off-topic in other threads, and stop making new threads.

I will set-up a vote here, so I can know your opinions.

- Yes, I want a "Chat" thread. Votes: 9 - Colonel_UGMO, Dr House, Arcane Ranger, BurningSushi460, Droideka_11, Gun_Guy, Cholesterol, Eicho, macndouche,

- No, I don't want a "Chat" thread. Votes: 3 - Lying Dutchman, Giskard, BrianManahan

This is a great idea to stop threads going off-topic, and just have a fun place to chat it the General Discussions of Age Of Empires 3 Heaven!

Come on guys! If any of you people are out there who just read the forums, sign up and post in here if you think it is a good idea!

So, post with your vote!

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 11-07-2008 @ 01:22 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 02:20 AM EDT (US)     51 / 99       
Im in. I looked at the Sallon once and it said veeeeeery strange things on it.
So we need a place for normal people

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 11-07-08 03:17 AM EDT (US)     52 / 99       
Well, I would say Elpea goes beyond just a mere regular of the saloon...considering that he is my boss...The Seraph of Seraphs if you will.
Didn't mean he was a mere regular, meant that he was once a GD&SC poster that quit playing and now hangs out at the Saloon also. Was the easiest example :P

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 11-07-08 03:20 AM EDT (US)     53 / 99       
Ok, all us GD + SC posters, let's ATTACK the saloon, and start posting there!
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 11-07-08 03:21 AM EDT (US)     54 / 99       
Don't incite a forum war.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 11-07-08 03:22 AM EDT (US)     55 / 99       
I'm not.... I'm saying by 'Attacking' to invade, and start posting there.
OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 03:45 AM EDT (US)     56 / 99       
Okay, I'm going to post as a representative of the "Salooners" if I may. It's pretty surreal reading this thread and seeing the opinion of the Saloon from outside - I guess I just don't delve into GD much. Anyway, a few misconceptions. The Saloon isn't such a crazy place - we're regular people too, and as long as people don't have extraordinarily thin skins they'll eventually fit in fine.

Most of your criticisms seem to be about the "randomness" and "stupidity" of the Saloon, and this is where I think you're a little misguided. It's true that for a couple months now the Saloon has been a rather different place - a little more "random". But it's something that's difficult to understand from just a glance at the forum. When someone's posting a picture of a kitten with "4 THE LULZ" to be funny, it's not because of the picture itself but because of a whole bunch of inside jokes, overtones, and ironic subtext. As are most of the "stupid" posts - people aren't ACTUALLY stupid, it is (again) inside jokes and deliberate silliness. And all of this can be pretty hard to understand for someone who hasn't been a part of the community long.

Truth is though, a lot of the downturn in quality of posting in the saloon is becaue we're in pretty dire need of new blood. It'd be cool if some of you guys dropped by and started your own threads about whatever you want to talk about. Fact is, if you guys are there you've already dropped the percentage of posts you won't understand.

So yeah, just drop by, hang around. Maybe don't post too much right away, and try to get a feel for the community. Most importantly, DON'T get offended if people start having a go at you. It's all light-hearted teasing, and if you get angry and try to argue back you just end up looking like an oversensitive ninny. Similarly, be wary of starting threads about Youtube videos and websites you've seen because there's a good chance they're quite old and people have seen them all a bunch of times before - you will be ridiculed.

I know if might sound scary, but it can be a lot of fun if you just relax and don't take it too seriously. People might not seem welcoming at first but the truth is we need more people, more threads, and more posting styles. So have at it.

    
nidhog_slayer
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 06:03 AM EDT (US)     57 / 99       
I used to post on saloon now and then, and checked it when I had times. But for a long time now, it has just been so umph... retarded that every time I have gone there I have just got pissed off

It's like trying to go talk with the weird people with their own random stuff going on.
Droideka_11
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 09:53 AM EDT (US)     58 / 99       
It's all light-hearted teasing, and if you get angry and try to argue back you just end up looking like an oversensitive ninny.
*cough*Giskard*cough*

All right guys cmon lets go to the saloon, see what happens.

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret

[This message has been edited by Droideka_11 (edited 11-07-2008 @ 09:55 AM).]

Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 11:53 AM EDT (US)     59 / 99       
A chat thread would not work. There would be so many different topics inside it that it would be impossible to keep track of what's going on, you would need a forum dedicated to it. Oh yeah, that's the saloon!

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 11:54 AM EDT (US)     60 / 99       
It seems like the kind of place where internet memes would reign supreme. Like a miniature version of 4Chan or something.

Also, like James said, the idea is for a place that deals with AOE, but with no specific topic. The Saloon is not for AOE.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 12:30 PM EDT (US)     61 / 99       
No guys NO!, no "okay, lets go to the saloon", don't surrender in this fight! You'll do what some people say, just because their names are green? The majority of the GD&SD community wants a chat forum for them, for ourselfs, for the people that actually play the game this forum is made for. If we want out own forum to talk about non-aoe3 stuff, we should have all the right to have it, without the pain of having to stand the sillyness of salooner's posts. And i say, if the biased mods doesn't want to hear us, we should go on and make out own chat thread, it will get closed probably, then just make another, and another. Each time someone else would make it, so none of us will be considered a spammer. In the end, the mods would end up alowing us to have our chat thread, or we'd simply like them less and less each time, loosing the(little, in some cases) respect we have for them.
Unite, GD community, unite and fight!
gunner1
Scenario Expert
posted 11-07-08 01:26 PM EDT (US)     62 / 99       
it will get closed probably, then just make another, and another. Each time someone else would make it, so none of us will be considered a spammer
Or they could just temp ban whoever started them . Which is more then likely going to happen, along with this thread getting locked. I don't post here much anymore, but a 'chat' thread in a GD forum is a bad thing to do. You allready have an off-topic forum, post there if you want to. Do you think making people post off-topic things will suddenly make them post seriously in other threads, or will it just change there posting style so they don't post seriously in any thread.

What happened to you eicho I thought you wanted to go green? (tis sanddstorm btw, remember me?)

Scenarios I have made
Single Player-: CAMPAIGN - Christmas - Forest River RPG - Total Freedom
MultiPlayer-: Castle Blood Automatic - Mafia Hitman - Warrior Defence
ESO = sandstorm....................................................................................."I won the bet on 1.04!"
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 01:55 PM EDT (US)     63 / 99       
This thread is a mess. I'll just clear this up:

@ Droideka_11:

Firstly, I was being sarcastic about the LordKivlov quote. I saw your post before you edited it: when you had the entire post appearing as a quote.

Secondly, about me being an oversensitive ninny. I will never accept idiots who think they have the right to use "gay" as a generic insult and not look like ignorant toddlers who wouldn't know what real, live heterosexual-against-homosexual prejudice was if it got up and shot them. (I could give you far more vivid descriptions but they would not be appropriate here.) So forgive me if I'm not going to let it go.

(Now I'm back to Mr. Nice Giskard. Please don't mention this again.)

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
Dabottle
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 02:20 PM EDT (US)     64 / 99       
why is my name not there?

ESO Name: Dabottle
Clan: TSR (The Soul Reapers)
Civs: Britain, China, France and Sioux
Check out my-->Guide to China (Will update soon)
ROFL
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 04:26 PM EDT (US)     65 / 99       
What happened to you eicho I thought you wanted to go green? (tis sanddstorm btw, remember me?)
I never wanetd to be green (well, maybe yes, in the good HG times, Sephirot, Ender Ward times, but that was just a noob's dream ) After that, if i mentioned anythign about greeness, it was joking, dont take it seriously.

BTW, how are you doign sands! long time no see!
Mapppp
Skirmisher
(id: Jimmy2)
posted 11-07-08 05:20 PM EDT (US)     66 / 99       
I'll say YES, because posting in the Saloon doesn't seem to be an option to many people unfortunately, and because this seems to be an interesting way to eliminate pointless threads.

Although if we could force everyone into the Saloon, that'd be good to.

◓◓◓◓◓

[This message has been edited by Mapppp (edited 11-07-2008 @ 06:47 PM).]

Dr House
Skirmisher
(id: RealityFatalityz)
posted 11-07-08 05:39 PM EDT (US)     67 / 99       
Honestly Greenies(and oranges), how hard is it to make one thread, called GD CHAT or something like that, sticky it, and just let us chat in it?

It takes zero effort beyond "stickying" a thread, and its not difficult to moderate it either.

I don't think we are asking for a forum like GD or SC or the Saloon, but rather ONE THREAD that is stickied that we can just chat about anything, from politics to sports to really stupid AOE questions that don't deserve their own thread but also don't pop up in search.

IT TAKES ZERO EFFORT, JUST DO IT

`RealityFatality`
"So, what do you guys think? What's theverdict? OP, or do I need to stop smoking crack?"
"I don't have hard drives. I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers"

[This message has been edited by Kiverly Spears (edited 18-12-2008 @ 9:21 PM).]
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 06:29 PM EDT (US)     68 / 99       
@ DrHouse:

Objection A - Sticky space is valuable (I should know).

Objection B - Stupid AOE questions should go in Q & A.

Objection C - It's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of need and counter-productivity. We come on this site to discuss AOE3. The site is generous enough to provide a place where we can post off-topic. That place is not evil: it is simply a very different community due to the nature of off-topic posting.

Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 07:08 PM EDT (US)     69 / 99       
I think Giskard is just against this idea because he really wants to become a mod, thats why, he says what mods say, so mods like him, and, added to his formal and nice posting, he'll be promoted sooner or later. It seems just being nice and helpful isnt enough, in this times, you also need mods to like you, or you'll never be promoted. Eh Giskard? Are you with the community, or with the evil dictatorship?
AlejandroLatino4
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 07:20 PM EDT (US)     70 / 99       
i want a chat thread so i can smack Eicho and kiv around =D

Oh and as proof this is a good idea lets use oh say my role model thread that suffred off topicness nucleur level look how many posts it got though it could compete with any sticky threads not includen special name thing

Cookie,"Orange i dont think you know who you're dealling with," after 5mins to 10mins of war later... Orange,"i dont think you know who ur deallin with"
ESO;AOE3,TWC,& TAD username: Alexodeconqure (i think lol)
<>< Another post done by a fishy noob <><
<>< Alejandro J. Diaz <><

[This message has been edited by AlejandroLatino4 (edited 11-07-2008 @ 07:22 PM).]

Droideka_11
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 07:31 PM EDT (US)     71 / 99       
@Giskard
As long as people don't have extraordinarily thin skins they'll eventually fit in fine.
I think he's talking about you. You gave us a bad name with the whole Giskard vs Salooners incident.

@Eicho
The mods have spoken Eicho they're not going to make a GD "Chat" thread lets just move on.
If you dont like the salooners then just ignore them simple as that, pretend theyre not there and only look at the post which are by GD forumers

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret

[This message has been edited by Droideka_11 (edited 11-07-2008 @ 07:31 PM).]

OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 07:36 PM EDT (US)     72 / 99       
Secondly, about me being an oversensitive ninny. I will never accept idiots who think they have the right to use "gay" as a generic insult and not look like ignorant toddlers who wouldn't know what real, live heterosexual-against-homosexual prejudice was if it got up and shot them. (I could give you far more vivid descriptions but they would not be appropriate here.) So forgive me if I'm not going to let it go.
I don't want to start this argument again, but you still don't understand. And this is an ideal example of what can go wrong when people first enter the Saloon.

Nobody was seriously using "gay" as an insult. It was nothing but a bit of a light-hearted joke - in fact, making fun of the people that DO use "gay" as an insult. The person who used "gay" in that fashion is no doubt as critical of the practice as you are - they're just able to LAUGH at the practice as well as condemning it. The Saloon is not homophobic in the slightest. We have at least one openly gay poster who is accepted as much as anyone else.
It seems like the kind of place where internet memes would reign supreme. Like a miniature version of 4Chan or something.
Not quite. Most of us find memes overused and tiresome - just see what happens when someone brings up Chuck Norris jokes or the like. While there ARE inside jokes, they're usually unique to the Saloon and separate from 4chan tomfoolery.
No guys NO!, no "okay, lets go to the saloon", don't surrender in this fight! You'll do what some people say, just because their names are green? The majority of the GD&SD community wants a chat forum for them, for ourselfs, for the people that actually play the game this forum is made for. If we want out own forum to talk about non-aoe3 stuff, we should have all the right to have it, without the pain of having to stand the sillyness of salooner's posts. And i say, if the biased mods doesn't want to hear us, we should go on and make out own chat thread, it will get closed probably, then just make another, and another. Each time someone else would make it, so none of us will be considered a spammer. In the end, the mods would end up alowing us to have our chat thread, or we'd simply like them less and less each time, loosing the(little, in some cases) respect we have for them.
Unite, GD community, unite and fight!
Haha man, let's not get too emotional about this. General Discussions is for AoE3 talk, The Saloon is for everything else. It's that simple. You might find the Saloon difficult to get into or something, but the fact is there's still nothing stopping you from posting there. You don't have to read the threads you aren't interested in and you don't have to take notice of any replies you don't want to. If all of you GDers who want this chat thread posted in the Saloon, you'd likely outnumber the people already there and you can have the same chats you'd have in any GD chat thread.

    
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 07:40 PM EDT (US)     73 / 99       
The mods have spoken Eicho they're not going to make a GD "Chat" thread lets just move on.
Thats what they say now. Just dont surrender, continue fighting for our right to have our Chat Thread, and mods eventually will have to give us this, but we need to keep fighting for our rights, dont be a little mommy guy and accept the first things mods say, man.
Imagine that those american patriots (Washington, etc) just went and asked British authorities
"Hey Lord Wellington (invented name), can we have independence please?"
"uhmm ...let me think.... how bout no?"
"Ok guys, they said no! lets give up and just make anythign they say, because they are the authorities!"

HEHE, dumb.
If you dont like the salooners then just ignore them simple as that, pretend theyre not there and only look at the post which are by GD forumers
Thats impossible. You cantt ignore 80% of the posts that are made in a thread and post there like nothing happened, lol.
You might find the Saloon difficult to get into or something, but the fact is there's still nothing stopping you from posting there.
Yes it is, it's called "Salooners", and you are one of them.
You see, guys? this is what happens when the moderators are chosen because they are Cheese's friends (or other mods friends *cough*Kivlov*cough*jimxix*cough*), and not because of forumers voting, like it should be. Democratic vote > biased & authoritary.
Then, while this "fingerchoosed" mods are helpfull (most of the times), they are just too biased, narrow-minded, not open to change. If cheese doesnt like it and it distrupt my precious saloon, dont do it!.
You don't have to read the threads you aren't interested in and you don't have to take notice of any replies you don't want to.
And what when the salooners invade and spam our threads (that we make in saloon)? How can i ignore thousands of posts with kitty pictures and "internal" (AKA "stupid") jokes? specially since other GDers will reply to those, then i have to ignore some GD'ers posts too.. i end up ignoring 99% of the posts. Intelligent, eh?

If all of you GDers who want this chat thread posted in the Saloon, you'd likely outnumber the people already there and you can have the same chats you'd have in any GD chat thread.
Exactly, there are a lot of us who want this Chat thread, cant you just simply give it to us? is it that complicated?.
Nah, i know the real reason.
Oh, cheesy doesnt want it, i dont wanna lose my precious moderator powers, which i got by sucking up to the previous mods!

[This message has been edited by Eicho (edited 11-07-2008 @ 07:53 PM).]

Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 07:53 PM EDT (US)     74 / 99       
@ Eicho:

I am banging my head against the wall right now. I did it when BrianManahan posted, I did it when AOE3mad made that stupid thread and I am doing it now. If I keep doing it I will get brain damage and as much as you'd enjoy my posting from then on I wouldn't. So, once and for all, let's get this straight:

Do I want to be a moderator?

Yes and no. If they invite me, fine. I'll do what I can for the site. I would welcome the opportunity to get things done faster and take a more active role. If they don't, fine. I have the P-series coming up and I'm planning many other things that might add to the site as well.

Would I be a good moderator?

How on earth should I know? I'd like to think I'd be good at it but for all I know I could spontaneously go insane and ban everyone before uploading compulsory-download viruses and deleting the site.

Am I trying to be a moderator?

No. Please stop implying that I am. My "formal and nice posting" is the way I am: I'd never do anything else.

As almost every moderator has pointed out, they are not looking for new staff at the moment. So no matter what, the issue is completely irrelevant for now.

Please stop discussing me and my forum ambitions. I have now made my situation perfectly clear, the moderators have made it perfectly clear that it makes no difference anyway so STOP POSTING IT.

@ Droideka_11:

I explained this a few posts earlier. If protesting against the use of ignorant and idiotic language gives me a bad name, fine. I like that sort of bad name. It has hardly given GD a bad name.

@ OutlandishTeacup:

I'm afraid we can only agree to disagree here. Anything either of us could post at this point has already been said in the thread. But essentially I think the main thing that prevents me and the others in the Saloon from seeing eye to eye is just things that have happened to homosexuals where I live that make me profoundly sick of anyone who uses "gay" as an insult, no matter what the setting. (Consider how you would feel if you were a concentration camp survivor and saw someone posting "STFU U stupid jew.") Anyway, I didn't convince anyone (except perhaps Byronic Hero) and nobody convinced me so there's no point dragging the debate here.

[This message has been edited by Giskard (edited 11-07-2008 @ 08:05 PM).]

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 07:59 PM EDT (US)     75 / 99       
Haha, Giskard. No one gets that mad about something, if you really "don't care" about it.
Of all that post you made, the conclusion is you really dont want us to talk about your moderation ambitions, but why dont you? why is it so important for you?
Don't belive what moderators say, they might say "we dont need anymore staff" today, and tomorrow they are hiring entrie [Judge] clan. Stupid, i know.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames