You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.99 replies, Closed
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Suggestion for a chat!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Suggestion for a chat!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 11-06-08 03:58 AM EDT (US)         
Hello my fellow forumers!

I think I have the one and only solution to stop threads going off-topic!

How about having a sticky called "Chat" in General Discussions, where we just chat about off-topic AOE3 things, without having to go off-topic in other threads, and stop making new threads.

I will set-up a vote here, so I can know your opinions.

- Yes, I want a "Chat" thread. Votes: 9 - Colonel_UGMO, Dr House, Arcane Ranger, BurningSushi460, Droideka_11, Gun_Guy, Cholesterol, Eicho, macndouche,

- No, I don't want a "Chat" thread. Votes: 3 - Lying Dutchman, Giskard, BrianManahan

This is a great idea to stop threads going off-topic, and just have a fun place to chat it the General Discussions of Age Of Empires 3 Heaven!

Come on guys! If any of you people are out there who just read the forums, sign up and post in here if you think it is a good idea!

So, post with your vote!

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 11-07-2008 @ 01:22 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 08:14 PM EDT (US)     76 / 99       
@ Eicho:

It was actually quite funny the first time with BrianManahan, tolerable the second time with AOE3mad, and quite annoying the third time with you. It is not that I "don't care": it's just that I don't see the point of wasting time. The moderators have made it as clear as they can that such discussion is pointless and I don't like being accused of canvassing for a position that is completely out of my hands anyway.

And as for your moderator-bashing post, I'm afraid you are being unreasonable. Moderators to the best of my knowledge and observation are not corrupt and, all in all, do a pretty good job. When forumers start fighting moderators over rights things become quite amusing but hardly conducive to a healthy forum. Of course we should talk to the moderators, ask them why they made certain decisions (when it's appropriate), and suggest new ideas to them, but at the end of the day they will do, or try to do, what is best for the site.

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match

[This message has been edited by Giskard (edited 11-07-2008 @ 08:15 PM).]

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 08:29 PM EDT (US)     77 / 99       
Of course we should talk to the moderators, ask them why they made certain decisions (when it's appropriate), and suggest new ideas to them, but at the end of the day they will do, or try to do, what is best for the site
Sorry Giskard, but you fail there. In this exact thread, we are suggesting a "Chat" thread for the GD community, it's very simple to do and to moderate, it would reduce offtopicness in other threads, and contribute for the better knowing of other forumers. It would be a great thign to do for this forums, yet the moderator wont let us. Why? don't know the exact reason. But this can be considered a pretty bad decision making from the mods, and they probably haven't even discussed this. Cheese came and said no, then the sucking up greenies came and said no, pretty simple.
Then, about them beign corrupt, thats another thing to discuss, but i consider soem of the thing mods do, as corrupt.
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 08:41 PM EDT (US)     78 / 99       
This probably isn't productive in the slightest, but Eicho, you're off your rocker!

In any event the style of the Saloon in the past few months has undoubtedly evolved because of an utter lack of new people (we have to entertain ourselves somehow!), which itself is a result of people like Eicho trying to perpetuate these silly "saloon vs. gd" mentalities.

Other than that I agree with outlandishteacup because he is amazing.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 11-07-08 08:47 PM EDT (US)     79 / 99       
I don't think a thread of a couple of people openly stating that the people that post in the Saloon are idiots and aren't worth listening to is helping things really.

If you have problems with:
1. The management
2. The off topic forum

There are plenty of other forums on the internet, its a big place. If you need a map just ask!

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 08:57 PM EDT (US)     80 / 99       
I don't think a thread of a couple of people openly stating that the people that post in the Saloon are idiots and aren't worth listening to is helping things really
I never said Salooners are idiots, if you think i did, it might be for some reason. Maybe you, uncounsiously, consider salooners idiots?
If you have problems with:
1. The management
2. The off topic forum

There are plenty of other forums on the internet, its a big place.
Yes, but i like AOE3 HG, or at least i liked it in the good times, Walker, Stonewall times. Since Cheese came this have been going downhill.
beekay
Skirmisher
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 11-07-08 08:57 PM EDT (US)     81 / 99       
Hey, mods, I'm curious: what is the big hang-up with having a thread which everyone wants? If they want their own version of TMO then why on earth would you stop them?

"Oh but goodness this is the forum for on-topic threads, and I care because I'm a hopeless pedant!"
"Oh but I don't like people being able to chat in an environment they're comfortable in!"
"Oh but I don't want to because I'm Adolf Hitler and I don't want to appear soft."

The only good reason there is the last one and I'm fairly sure none of you are somebody so important.

That said I actually don't mind GDers at all, as long as they're decent people. That is to say, I'll like them unless they barge in yelling about how we can never mix because those dirty Salooners are beneath us with their aimless conversation and random comments about ridiculous things. Cough cough ehm ehm eicho.

sig
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 11-07-08 09:00 PM EDT (US)     82 / 99       
I don't think a thread of a couple of people openly stating that the people that post in the Saloon are idiots and aren't worth listening to is helping things really
I never said Salooners are idiots, if you think i did, it might be for some reason. Maybe you, uncounsiously, consider salooners idiots?
I never said you did.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 09:10 PM EDT (US)     83 / 99       
Hey, mods, I'm curious: what is the big hang-up with having a thread which everyone wants? If they want their own version of TMO then why on earth would you stop them?
Because they should be encouraging more movement between the forums, not encouraging this idiotic sectionalism bullshit that eicho is a proponent of. Creating an off-topic section or thread here affirms that they shouldn't go into the saloon, which is the opposite of what we all want.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
beekay
Skirmisher
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 11-07-08 09:14 PM EDT (US)     84 / 99       
True, true. Maybe I'm biased because I remember that when I migrated to the Halls in AoMH I was absolutely terrified (though looking back you would never have guessed, given how much moronic spam I regurgitated).

sig
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 11-07-08 09:15 PM EDT (US)     85 / 99       
Because they should be encouraging more movement between the forums, not encouraging this idiotic sectionalism bullshit that eicho is a proponent of. Creating an off-topic section or thread here affirms that they shouldn't go into the saloon, which is the opposite of what we all want.
This.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 09:19 PM EDT (US)     86 / 99       
Yeah, there's no sense having separate off-topic areas because there is NO reason why the communities should be at all separate in the first place.
Oh, cheesy doesnt want it, i dont wanna lose my precious moderator powers, which i got by sucking up to the previous mods!
Yep, you have absolutely no idea what I'm like. I didn't suck up at all, and I haven't changed my posting habits at all since being greened. Only difference is now I close threads that look like they're going to get wildly out of hand. Being staff means literally almost nothing to me, I'm just glad to help out the forum while I use it the same way I always have.

Seriously though Eicho, you just need to relax. There IS no difference between the people here and the people in the Saloon. The posting style in the Saloon isn't defined in any way, it's just the way that people post there. If you go in there and post differently, then - hey, wow! You're changing the style! As is every new person who hangs around and posts! You need to get over your separatist attitude and understand that people AREN'T going to shit up threads just cos you made them (though that's getting more and more likely with every post you make about how stupid the Saloon is).

    
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 09:20 PM EDT (US)     87 / 99       
True, true. Maybe I'm biased because I remember that when I migrated to the Halls in AoMH I was absolutely terrified (though looking back you would never have guessed, given how much moronic spam I regurgitated).
Ha, now that I think of it, I was the same way. The community forums were so intimidating,but that might have been because I figured I had made a fool of myself with my gon_racin account. I also decided that I would never, ever post in political discussions or other debates!

Which is why I stayed in Future ES discussions for a while before I started posting in HoV (of course none of us started whining about how we couldn't post in the off-topic forums there; instead we just sucked it up and integrated ourselves into it).

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

[This message has been edited by Meteora (edited 11-07-2008 @ 09:20 PM).]

Shrink
on the trender train
posted 11-07-08 09:21 PM EDT (US)     88 / 99       
Okay, I'm going to post as a representative of the "Salooners" if I may.
Of course you may, you're in the core group!
Since Cheese came this have been going downhill.
I quite like eicho if only because he's so anti-forum authority, as if they're miniature stalins getting kicks from the power

Of course, aside from this amusing madness, he's utterly ridiculous

[This message has been edited by SHRInK (edited 11-07-2008 @ 09:24 PM).]

OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 09:25 PM EDT (US)     89 / 99       
I quite like eicho if only because he's so anti-forum authority, as if they're miniature stalins getting kicks from the power
It's an amazing quixotic crusade he has going here, that's for sure.

    
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 11-07-08 09:28 PM EDT (US)     90 / 99       
The Saloon is thoughtless - True.
This hurts giskard

And judging from the end of your computerized dictatorship thread, you're the one who wasn't thinking!
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 11-07-08 10:14 PM EDT (US)     91 / 99       
Ok, I'm not giving up without a fight.

I'm still trying to get this 100%. Making that thread in the Saloon was a bad move.

I'm still motavated to get this.

Why won't you mods let us?
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 11-07-08 10:18 PM EDT (US)     92 / 99       
I agree. We should get our own thread!

I've decided I am with you James246 and Eicho.
Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 11-07-08 10:20 PM EDT (US)     93 / 99       
Wow. Guys, it's an internet forum. Honestly. It's pathetic at this point. We're highschool and college aged guys arguing about the placement of a topic thread on a website. But, allow me to fully explain myself...

My role as Seraph has two jobs:

Develop Site Content
Promote the Community

Site content is irrelevent for this discussion, so it just leaves community promotion. I'd be splitting the forum in half if I allowed a second off topic forum. It's that simple.

----

Also, I see some of you don't exactly find me to be an adequate Seraph. I am sorry you feel that way.

I agree that I am not a good candidate to run this site. But, Stoney left fairly abruptly, Qaz stopped showing up for work, and that just left me. I was Seraphing WiCH (and doing damn well I might add) and as well as moderating the Saloon. No one else would take over, so I did.

However, I believe the only reason for the site's decline, if you feel that decline even exists, is purely because the game is getting old. In my personal opinion this site peaked about mid 2006, long before you were an active member, Eicho, or perhaps even earlier during the 4 Seraph days.

As for my selection of staff. Only 4 staff members have come aboard while I was in charge, and two of them were while I was only "temp" Seraph when Qaz was MIA. I did not know Cookie or JimXIX at all before I hired them, and their applications were reviewed by the entire team. As I recall, Walker, Moshe, and Erik were their chief supporters.

Outlandish was my personal choice, because he has been in the Saloon as long as anyone, and because he was one of its best and most trusted members. He is only in charge of the Saloon, because he only posts regularly in the Saloon.

Kiv was hired after the entire staff urged me to agree to a new hire. I actually favor a small staff, as I prefer not too have too many green folks running around if we don't need them. But there was a need for Kiv, and he was by far the best candidate. If I recall correctly, Mach was actually the biggest proponent of hiring someone else at the time, so your theory of Cookie having some scheme is out of the window.

-----

Again guys, allow me to reiterate. This is an internet forum. If you do not like it, then by all means leave. But for those who do, then please stay. I don't mind suggestions, it's suggestions and ideas that keep the siting moving forward, keep giving us ideas on new content, and keep us fresh. So with that said I appreciate the idea James, but I can't do much more than give you my opinion on the matter and make my decision can I? I've been here over 5 years and worked at 3 sites...I really believe I have a firm grasp on what is and what isn't a good idea. Beyond that, I have the instructions of how a Seraph should ask to guide me. Both of those led me to the same conclusion, that an off-topic thread in an on-topic forum would be redundant when we already have the Saloon.

So if you don't like posting in the Saloon, then don't. But every off-topic thread here will be closed or moved to the Saloon. So, either quit whining like little children or decide to grow a pair and have the courage to peck at your key board in a different location. I promise the difficulty is minimal and the harm to your egos can be repaired with time.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing

[This message has been edited by Cheesewiz (edited 11-07-2008 @ 10:24 PM).]

OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 10:26 PM EDT (US)     94 / 99       
Yay cheese an excellent post by you as always!

Well done!

Do I get a promotion yet?

    
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 11-07-08 10:31 PM EDT (US)     95 / 99       
A ha....

Still, we need this chat.
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 11-07-08 10:34 PM EDT (US)     96 / 99       
Now would be the point where you close this thread cheesewiz. It has been exhausted and leaving it open will only breed nonsense and momentum.
OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 10:35 PM EDT (US)     97 / 99       
No, you don't. Man up and post in the Saloon, or stick to AoE3 as a topic.

    
Sad_But_True
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-08 10:35 PM EDT (US)     98 / 99       
A ha....

Seriously James...
Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 11-07-08 10:36 PM EDT (US)     99 / 99       
Now would be the point where you close this thread cheesewiz. It has been exhausted and leaving it open will only breed nonsense and momentum.
Agreed.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames