Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.45 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Base setup
Bottom
Topic Subject:Base setup
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
zezarak
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-09 11:09 AM EDT (US)         
Okay, I have been wondering if anyone can make a guide on several base setups for best defense. I know (walls, walls, walls...) but a productive setup that could help defending your economy and your precious barracks, factories, ect..

Anyone got a good screen shot or several ways to make a base productive?

P.S. Hope this is right forum topic to post in....
Thanks,
Zezarak

[This message has been edited by zezarak (edited 01-25-2009 @ 11:10 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 02-06-09 04:41 PM EDT (US)     26 / 45       
The guy who played that game is smart lol he has a great example of a base set up.
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-06-09 07:31 PM EDT (US)     27 / 45       
i dont see how that is a good set up actually since those buildings cost 100-200 wood, and with that you could make an actual wall,

plus walls have more hp than most of those..

but id have the banks right next to the town center with two holes so if they would want to siege you theyd have to go all in and move all their units withing the circle, and then you can just kill them.

example would be to have the banks like the parenthesis, and the dash being the town center---> (-)

it allows you to get villagers out, garrison them easily and protect you too,

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 02-06-09 07:39 PM EDT (US)     28 / 45       
that's a good base setup since it's dutch obviously, so your long range skirms will keep HI off the banks/houses banks have high hp, so the enemy will probably go for the rax/houses first. Only suggestion i could say would be to probably keep the rax behind the tc instead of out in front as a wall since you obviously don't want them to start attacking your rax right away

QUACK
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 02-06-09 08:14 PM EDT (US)     29 / 45       
Itech he didn't make those as a wall, he made the buildings because he needed them and just set them up that way, and as lunatic pointed out skirms will own anything behind those walls while someone booms to age 3.
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-06-09 08:18 PM EDT (US)     30 / 45       
well im sure id rather have someone attacking a strong cheap wall, than my houses or my barracks..

iTech64
DUolCKrad
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 02-06-09 08:23 PM EDT (US)     31 / 45       
They'd attack them anyway. Protecting your TC and units for free is always nice, especially when you put LI in a convoluted maze of houses that messes with Cav pathfinding.
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-06-09 08:27 PM EDT (US)     32 / 45       
well imo id like to have them as a second line of defense at anything, like have a wall right around the buildings in the picture.

that'd make me happy..

iTech64
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 02-06-09 08:51 PM EDT (US)     33 / 45       
If you have the wood to do it, then go ahead.
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-06-09 09:00 PM EDT (US)     34 / 45       
well its cheap isnt it tyler?

maybe 50 wood for each side of the base?

this would cover much more area, with much more health than a house or a barracks.
but investing your necessary buildings to make a simply, but also effective wall should be employed whenever possible.
but having it as a second line of defense should be considered as i have previously stated.

iTech64
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 02-06-09 09:51 PM EDT (US)     35 / 45       
Also you need 50 wood for each gate, and early in the game you might not have this kind of wood.
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-06-09 10:01 PM EDT (US)     36 / 45       
well with that comment you can see that his town is composed of quite a few banks, and many houses.

it could be possible he would have extra wood right?

iTech64
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 02-06-09 10:57 PM EDT (US)     37 / 45       
I guess for another civ, but with dutch people are always complaining because they never gather enough wood.
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-06-09 11:09 PM EDT (US)     38 / 45       
well i dont have experience with dutch, have never played a single rated game with them..

but if thats true then using your banks yould be an easy, kinda simple way to keep people away.

thats why they are the ultimate turtlers or something right?
able to get resources without going too far..

iTech64
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 02-06-09 11:29 PM EDT (US)     39 / 45       
Yes good dutch players use banks as sheild.
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-06-09 11:34 PM EDT (US)     40 / 45       
do they make a solid wall? ex: ____
or like separated? ex: -----

iTech64
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 02-07-09 01:49 AM EDT (US)     41 / 45       
All you gotta do is put a few wall segments/banks/houses in the way to screw up enemies pathing so the Dutch guys skirms can get free shots.
Eternal War0
Skirmisher
posted 02-07-09 02:31 AM EDT (US)     42 / 45       
The thing is the buildings weren't built only to be a wall. The player obviously needed those buildings and placed them in an intelligent location.

I suppose you could use banks as a wall but make sure you keep them with TC fire because they are valuable.

And yes, Skirmishers spread out in a cluster of buildings will do good damage and their counters will be running around with even worse path finding than usual.
Ha_Luke
Sig Award Winner
posted 02-07-09 04:32 AM EDT (US)     43 / 45       
It is good to use banks as an obstruction with their high HP, but I wouldn't make a wall with it. The problem is that you force yourself backwards and lock yourself up. If you beating someone for example and he's retreating you want to chase him down but that's more difficult with a wall (of buildings) in your way.

Or if your opponent has his army just outside your base waiting it's always nice to use the superior range of your skirms to fire a volley and immediately retreat. You can repeat this a few times so that your opponent has lost some units before the actual battle starts. If you have that many buildings in the way, you are screwing your own pathfinding.

You can play defensive with the Dutch and give up map control, but at one point you need to take map control back, most likely when your resources near your base are gone.

Also I would never put my barracks in front of my towncenter. This is the first building the opponent wants to attack and you've helped him big time to put him front. If you play defensive always put your barracks just behind your TC.

EDIT: Wow, I forgot about towers. Two/three towers can help you defend a lot. Together with TC fire it helps to kill that nasty cav which could destroy all of you skirms or raid you to death. Place the towers not to far away from your TC and each other so that enemy's units get shot by more than one tower. And of course try to cover some resources with it.

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato

[This message has been edited by Ha_Luke (edited 02-07-2009 @ 05:06 AM).]

oliandsam
Skirmisher
posted 02-07-09 06:41 AM EDT (US)     44 / 45       
i would agree with ha_luke about the barracks at the back of the base.

The little hole between the banks forces the enemy to go through the hole making easy for skirms to pick them of or he has to take out one of the buildings again skirms can easily pick them of.

in this game at the beginning oedy (the dutch guy) goes on the offense and then later on is overwhelmed by ashis and so is forced into his base. this means oedy wasn't going for on all out turtle. also remember oedy is a colonel so i think he knows what he is doing (or i do hope so)

eso name: oliandsam
clan: some silly dutch one
"A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."
Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography. - Paul Rodriguez
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 02-07-09 09:23 AM EDT (US)     45 / 45       
You want to block or slow the enemy down so skirms can do there thing, and vills can gather resources without as much trouble.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames