You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.71 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Civilizations that You DO NOT Like
Bottom
Topic Subject:Civilizations that You DO NOT Like
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-09 10:46 AM EDT (US)         
We have had a thread on favorite civilizations, so I thought it would be interesting so see what civilizations people DO NOT like, and why. Here is one list for starters.

Aztecs: They had just about the bloodiest religion ever known, and fought wars simply to get human sacrifices. I cannot even conceive of playing them, even to playtest my naval changes.

Sioux: Lots of cavalry, and I am not that comfortable with cavalry in playing. I also would much rather have seen the Inca in the game, rather than the Sioux.

Ottomans: The automatic production of villagers drives me nuts, as I would much rather control what is produced and when.

Japan (honorable mention): I keep looking for the button to nuke myself.

India (honorable mention 2): I play them so I can used my modified Ironclad as their Portuguese ally. Seeing a guy on an elephant building a trading post or town center is just plain WEIRD. Besides that, I have studied the use of war elephants in history quite a bit, and while I view the how the Ensemble design staff worked War Elephants into the game as quite good and innovative, the historian part of me is screaming, NO WAY. War Elephants had a very strong tendency to be dangerous to both sides. Unfortunately, there is no provision for elephant panic in the game.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
AuthorReplies:
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 00:22 AM EDT (US)     51 / 71       
Cholesterol, given the changes in the Fan Patch that I have seen posted, it would be tough to duplicate on the Mac. You could try having someone download it on a Windows box, and copy the game resource file to pass on to you. You can at least work with the xml files if you have some form of xml editor. I have not sat down and compared the Windows xml files side by side with the Mac xml files to see how closely they match. Note, I have both Macs, my primary computers, and a Windows game box I use for Rise of Nations and Civilization 3 Complete editing, and edit the xml with Adobe GoLive.

If you have the Mac version of Asian Dynasties, that has the original set of data from Ensemble, without the one update that they did. Japan is definitely WAY overpowered, and I have been working on a system of fixes for that to post. All I am planning to do is change the xml files covering the various areas. It looks like one area to start with would be limiting the number of units of some types that can be built.

I will start another thread and get some more ideas.

Cholesterol
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 00:46 AM EDT (US)     52 / 71       
dude thats awesome, alot of people online were actually trying to get it going, ppst your idea, i'll send it to them (as i have no idea how to edit and am a complete noob when it comes to that stuff XD).
QWW123
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 03:14 AM EDT (US)     53 / 71       
Probable the dutch.
StrategicJoeL
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 03:26 AM EDT (US)     54 / 71       
I hate spain. they're boring as anything to play. there's no fun units or bonuses.
brits are pretty boring too, but not near as much. otto's are too easy to use also IMO.

organ gunz are chuck norris daddy!
O_man0
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 11:01 AM EDT (US)     55 / 71       
JoeL i beg to differ seeing as they are SUPER FREAKING LAME IF YOUR ACTUALLY GOOD!!!

RODS AND LANCERS AND UNCTION ARE SUPER FUN!!!!11111!

But i hear ya. I try not to use OP civs.

Unless there are people hear that consider dutch OP, cause some people do :S

1st Leiut. with Russia , Master Sergeant with everything else.
My skill level is incalculable!!! Its been forever since I played seriously...
Mike Sass: Culverins are like Garrichistos, only theyre cannons.
Incognoto
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 11:25 AM EDT (US)     56 / 71       
lol @ timerover
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 03:05 PM EDT (US)     57 / 71       
lol @ timerover
Even funnier, Incognoto, I was NOT joking.

Droideka_11
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 04:56 PM EDT (US)     58 / 71       
I hate spain. they're boring as anything to play. there's no fun units or bonuses.
brits are pretty boring too, but not near as much.
Lancers?

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
StrategicJoeL
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 10:56 PM EDT (US)     59 / 71       
Lancers?
I would agree that lancers are spain's best unit, however lancers have no splash damage and can be effectively countered by goons (and hussars?) and are about even against pikes if i remember correctly, so i don't see what's so extraordinary about them.

Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 11:06 PM EDT (US)     60 / 71       
One second your skirms are chilling and getting headshots, and the next second they're gone. Tricky.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
StrategicJoeL
Skirmisher
posted 05-09-09 11:10 PM EDT (US)     61 / 71       
One second your skirms are chilling and getting headshots, and the next second they're gone. Tricky.
I usually never make skirms unless I plan on putting them in a wooden box. I would never make them against Spanish for sure.

ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 05-10-09 04:30 AM EDT (US)     62 / 71       
i dont like ottos cos of their auto vils.

sorry cholestrol- rephrase that
"terrorists replaced nazis" is that better?
when i said muslims i just meant the ones that knife jewish chilren and blow up passenger planes.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥

[This message has been edited by ImperialLobster (edited 05-10-2009 @ 04:42 AM).]

Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 05-10-09 10:11 AM EDT (US)     63 / 71       
I usually never make skirms unless I plan on putting them in a wooden box. I would never make them against Spanish for sure.
...So you use crossbows in Industrial and Imperial? Or do you rely solely on cannons, in which case you're screwed if your opponent makes culverins?

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
StrategicJoeL
Skirmisher
posted 05-10-09 11:58 AM EDT (US)     64 / 71       
I usually spam dragoons and organ guns, with about ten hussars to kill his culvs with.

MannisEi
Skirmisher
posted 05-10-09 12:04 PM EDT (US)     65 / 71       
Just wait until your enemy comes with two times more goons than you do ^^ Somehow you will start hoping you'd have some skirmishers with you...

O o
/Ż/___________________________ _ __/
| ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!
\_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Ż ŻŻ
Incognoto
Skirmisher
posted 05-10-09 04:25 PM EDT (US)     66 / 71       
*edited because this post was pointless*

i hate brits

[This message has been edited by Incognoto (edited 05-16-2009 @ 06:10 AM).]

Zuliris
Skirmisher
posted 05-16-09 05:23 AM EDT (US)     67 / 71       
Aztecs- I hate how they have no cannons.

Also, I can't understand why they are even in AoE III, seeing as they were killed off in one of the campaigns of AoE II.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-16-09 09:43 AM EDT (US)     68 / 71       
If you have a buddy get them to send you team mortars...

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
bobtheboy
Skirmisher
posted 05-16-09 12:59 PM EDT (US)     69 / 71       
"Aztecs: They had just about the bloodiest religion ever known, and fought wars simply to get human sacrifices. I cannot even conceive of playing them, even to playtest my naval changes.

I also would much rather have seen the Inca in the game, rather than the Sioux.

Japan (honorable mention): I keep looking for the button to nuke myself.

India (honorable mention 2): I play them so I can used my modified Ironclad as their Portuguese ally. Seeing a guy on an elephant building a trading post or town center is just plain WEIRD. Besides that, I have studied the use of war elephants in history quite a bit, and while I view the how the Ensemble design staff worked War Elephants into the game as quite good and innovative, the historian part of me is screaming, NO WAY. War Elephants had a very strong tendency to be dangerous to both sides. Unfortunately, there is no provision for elephant panic in the game."

Okay... to start with, the Incas had a very bloody religion as well, so why would you want to play them? And just because the Aztecs were bloody, it doesn't mean you can't play them in a GAME. There are people with Aztec ancestry alive today, should we kill them because of the sins of their ancestors? No! And that Japan thing... I think that is a reference to WW2 right? Well, it isn't funny. That kind of thing is just in bad taste. By the way, the game isn't supposed to be realistic. If it was, it would take a couple shots to kill every unit, and there would be no such thing as explorers which cannot be killed. I mean come on, it takes a few cannon shots to kill a fully upgraded explorer, and he doesn't even really "die." The game is supposed to be fun, not totally realistic.
Cholesterol
Skirmisher
posted 05-16-09 11:18 PM EDT (US)     70 / 71       
when i said muslims i just meant the ones that knife jewish chilren and blow up passenger planes.
I assume you mean zyonists who kill mulslim children..? Lets not get to that so we dont ruin a topic or get banned XD

I like germans but i hate em cause their eco managment is hard to learn. I can boom with any other civ but the germans are hard cause you do 2 booms: the mill booms +tc booms+balance your eco cause of the uhlan coming with shipments=EPIC FAILURE!
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 05-17-09 04:53 AM EDT (US)     71 / 71       
there a few cases of zionists who have attacked others but these cases are very small compared to the huge amount of murders done by muslims. anyway, on a lighter note-
I dont like the dutch because of their golden vils, which always messes up my gathering balance etc.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames