You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.79 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » HG FFA Tourney Suggestions?
Bottom
Topic Subject:HG FFA Tourney Suggestions?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 05-10-09 01:21 PM EDT (US)         
Please post any suggestions you have here so we can figure out how to organize this tournament
Tell me which rules/point awards to add or remove please
Note: the Rules will be finalized by May 16 so please post any changes you want by then please

Rules (Tentative) Breaking any of these will result in your points from that round not being counted
-Nobody can age to fortress until one person has resigned
-Nobody can age to industrial until an additional person has resigned
-Nobody can age to imperial until there are only 2 people left in the game
-No excessive swearing/racial jokes/etc... (if somebody is offended post screen shot to get other person disqualified for that round )
- Cheating results in immediate disqualification from all rounds
-The PR rule works like this, it should give everyone above 30 +0, under 30 +1, under 20 +2, under 10 +3. (Need comments for this)
Walls
-No walls allowed during Discovery or Discovery/Colonial transition
Maximum one wall per base in Colonial
Maximum two walls in the main base; one in secondary bases during Fortress
Maximum three walls in the main base; two in secondary bases during Industrial
Maximum five walls per base in Imperial
A base being roughly defined as any set of buildings such that they hold production capabilities and are set at least one screen apart from any other set of buildings.
The main base being the one where the starting TC is located, and, if that TC is destroyed, where the next largest base is.
If you do not comply all points for this match will be void

Possible Points:
First off people will be put in tiers based on pr
1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31+ (your KO points will be based on which tier you take down)
-Winning = 7 Points
-Second = 5 Points
-Third = 3 Points
-KO’ing an Opponent = 4 Points* +/-2 for each tier difference
-Knocking a Starting TC Sub- 7 mins= 10 points for your tier +/-2 for each tier difference
-Knocking Starting TC Sub-10 Mins = 5 Points for your tier +/-2 for each tier difference
-Knocking a Starting TC Sub-15 Mins = 3 Points for your tier +/-2 for each tier difference
-First to 1000 Points = 2 Points
-Revolting = 4 Points**
-2X Teamed = 4 Points***
-3X Teamed = 6 Points
-Fastest age up time(to colonial)= 4 Points
-Slowest age up time(to colonial)= 4 Points
-First to kill a villager= 1 Points (Opinions?)
-Winning with Trade Monopoly= 4 Points(In addition to points for winning)
-First to trigger Trade Monopoly= 4 Points
-Playing without a deck = 4 Points
-Unique civ= 2 points (Suggestions?)
-Most treasures= 1 point
-Killing Trade Monopoly= 2 Points (goes to 1 person who kills the tp that actually stops the monopoly)
-

* - KO’s may be split between 2 or 3
** - All KO points gained after revolting are Doubled. Points for winning are also doubled (including winning with TM).
*** - This my decision whether you doubled or not.

QUACK

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 05-13-2009 @ 08:20 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
goodspeed2
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 07:26 PM EDT (US)     51 / 79       
take out the petard rule and everything is good imo

so when are we starting
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 05-12-09 07:46 PM EDT (US)     52 / 79       
no petard rule? o.O hmmm any reasons in particular? IMO it shouldn't be that easy as people will be more careful as they KNOW that people will try to petard them a lot

Well i'll leave until the 16th to finalize rules so perhaps start on saturday the 23rd?

QUACK
dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 08:55 PM EDT (US)     53 / 79       
Goodspeed, I have seen people crazy enough to cover their entire side of large siberia while other people were fighting away and not noticing because he was such a noob.
goodspeed2
Skirmisher
posted 05-13-09 08:58 AM EDT (US)     54 / 79       
good for him, he took half the map for himself, good job imo... it's not his fault that his opponents let that happen.

in treaty most top players will build about 5 layers, and after 40 mins strategic walls become very very important. securing parts of the map for map ctrl is a good way to take the advantage, because the wood will be yours and you'll be able to attack from multiple sides. all i'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with walls, 5 layers of walls won't take more than a minute to go through if you have some siege units or petards. it all comes down to military in the end, walls are just strategic extra protection and a good way to secure ground because you'll be able to hold off large armies with ranged units and art. in the end, only a noob would build more than 4 layers anyway, a good player will know that it isn't worth it in the first place.

and again, i'm not suggesting to take out the rule, so stop arguing for it.

about petard rule: bastiaan gave a good reason somewhere in this thread. i think he said that if you plan on taking a TC, you'll be sneaking in with petards either way, so the 3 extra points would be basically free.

[This message has been edited by goodspeed2 (edited 05-13-2009 @ 09:04 AM).]

Incognoto
Skirmisher
posted 05-13-09 03:52 PM EDT (US)     55 / 79       
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 05-13-09 07:01 PM EDT (US)     56 / 79       
in treaty most top players will build about 5 layers, and after 40 mins strategic walls become very very important. securing parts of the map for map ctrl is a good way to take the advantage, because the wood will be yours and you'll be able to attack from multiple sides. all i'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with walls, 5 layers of walls won't take more than a minute to go through if you have some siege units or petards. it all comes down to military in the end, walls are just strategic extra protection and a good way to secure ground because you'll be able to hold off large armies with ranged units and art. in the end, only a noob would build more than 4 layers anyway, a good player will know that it isn't worth it in the first place.
the ffas won't have the top treaty players though... o.O
i've personally seen people put up layers of walls during transition to colonial it just gets really dumb and boring having to hack through 1000+ layers of walling. IMO 2 layers is fine, but any more than that is a bit irritating.

ok i guess the petard rule can go (sorry strategicjoel )
when are we playing?
no idea. The rules will be finalized this saturday so i'm guessing that we'll start in a couple weeks max.

QUACK
goodspeed2
Skirmisher
posted 05-13-09 07:04 PM EDT (US)     57 / 79       
the ffas won't have the top treaty players though... o.O
i've personally seen people put up layers of walls during transition to colonial it just gets really dumb and boring having to hack through 1000+ layers of walling. IMO 2 layers is fine, but any more than that is a bit irritating.
i mentioned the treaty player example to make a point. the point being that more than 5 walls will only backfire, so no one will build that many. and if you do, you'll simply lose, so you shouldn't be punished even more for it.

i'll stick to the 2 layers but can i at least build walls to secure the map or protect my wood vills?

[This message has been edited by goodspeed2 (edited 05-13-2009 @ 07:06 PM).]

DUolCKrad
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 05-13-09 07:13 PM EDT (US)     58 / 79       
I was thinking about having a set of wall rules somewhere along these lines:

• No walls allowed during Discovery or Discovery/Colonial transition
  • Maximum one wall per base in Colonial
  • Maximum two walls in the main base; one in secondary bases during Fortress
  • Maximum three walls in the main base; two in secondary bases during Industrial
  • Maximum five walls per base in Imperial

A base being roughly defined as any set of buildings such that they hold production capabilities and are set at least one screen apart from any other set of buildings.

The main base being the one where the starting TC is located, and, if that TC is destroyed, where the next largest base is.

In this way, Oprichniks/Doppelsoldners stay somewhat checked, but walls aren't spammed everywhere until the very end.
  • CrazyLunatic
    Veteran Musketeer
    posted 05-13-09 07:14 PM EDT (US)     59 / 79       
    so ya, an extra wall around your wood vills in the corner of the map (cannot be covering your main base) is fine

(kivlov's going to laugh at the edit history

QUACK

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 05-13-2009 @ 07:15 PM).]

goodspeed2
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-13-09 07:50 PM EDT (US)     60 / 79       
    +1 duolckrad

[This message has been edited by goodspeed2 (edited 05-13-2009 @ 07:50 PM).]

CrazyLunatic
    Veteran Musketeer
    posted 05-13-09 08:13 PM EDT (US)     61 / 79       
    ya i like his idea (guess i skipped his post while i was posting mine )
    i'll put that rule in

QUACK
    CrazyLunatic
    Veteran Musketeer
    posted 05-13-09 08:22 PM EDT (US)     62 / 79       
    k i think the rules are almost more or less done, but how do i organize this?

Should i schedule like 2 ffa times every saturday and people sign up for those? Do i assign people to matches or do they just pick any open match for that time?

QUACK
    goodspeed2
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-13-09 08:39 PM EDT (US)     63 / 79       
    i'd say 1 time saturday and 1 time sunday, say ~10 PM GMT?. tell people to be present at least 10 mins before the games start imo. allow in whoever can attend. make a password to a chatroom and post it here so we can invite players from the chatroom. then get a few people to host games, passworded ofcourse, and just invite everyone to fill up all the games. we can do 5,6,or 7 player FFA depending on the number of people attending. i think that should work.

we should've gotten ppl to post their emails, maybe some don't check this site every week.

if you're gonna start the 23rd of may, imo post a thread now to let everyone know, and post the password to the chatroom. also tell them to reply if they'll be attending so you can make a quick estimate of how many players will be there.

[This message has been edited by goodspeed2 (edited 05-13-2009 @ 08:41 PM).]

CrazyLunatic
    Veteran Musketeer
    posted 05-13-09 09:10 PM EDT (US)     64 / 79       
    10 pm gmt? that sounds good for americans, but what about others? (in australia that's probably like really early morning?)

i'll post the thread once i figure out the timings and everything and polish up the rules

QUACK
    goodspeed2
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-14-09 08:36 AM EDT (US)     65 / 79       
    10 pm gmt? that sounds good for americans, but what about others? (in australia that's probably like really early morning?)
    yeah true you might wanna do 8PM GMT on saturday and then the 2nd one on 12AM GMT sunday
    Bastiaan
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-14-09 12:00 PM EDT (US)     66 / 79       
    I would say you can play any time you like (but obviously only once a week) if 6 players are on? I wont always be able to make those times (almost never on saturday)
    goodspeed2
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-14-09 01:55 PM EDT (US)     67 / 79       
    if you can't make it to either of those times i guess you have to schedule another game with everyone else who missed it.

but you don't have to play every single round anyway...

if we don't set 2 main times it'll be chaos
    DUolCKrad
    Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
    posted 05-14-09 02:18 PM EDT (US)     68 / 79       
    Conduct a poll to find out the times where everyone can play, then pick the optimal times that work nearly universally.
    Bastiaan
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-14-09 03:00 PM EDT (US)     69 / 79       
    Ah well ok. The times GS mentioned before are the best for everyone i think.
    goodspeed2
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-14-09 07:22 PM EDT (US)     70 / 79       
    don't worry i think we will all miss some rounds i know i will
    Lord Berminator
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-14-09 08:56 PM EDT (US)     71 / 79       
    Wait is it this coming weekend?!

Scenarios: Worldmap Series I: North America, Worldmap Series II: Caribbean, The Wasteland

Editor of: Orissa, Kill the Sun, Bathe in Hate

Current Projects: Fog of War, Island Hopping
    CrazyLunatic
    Veteran Musketeer
    posted 05-14-09 09:57 PM EDT (US)     72 / 79       
    don't worry i think we will all miss some rounds i know i will
    i will also
    Wait is it this coming weekend?!
    no probably weekend after this coming up one.
    Conduct a poll to find out the times where everyone can play, then pick the optimal times that work nearly universally.
    ummm how? I don't think we'll get much responses lol...

I sort of like the previous ideas, i'll give an approximate regular time to do it, but if you can't make it to the ffas at that time just make it up any time that week with at least 3 others?

Also how many rounds? Maybe like 5 or 6?

QUACK

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 05-14-2009 @ 10:00 PM).]

goodspeed2
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-15-09 08:56 AM EDT (US)     73 / 79       
    stop 21st july because then people will start going on vacation (me)

6 rounds starting next week sounds about right

[This message has been edited by goodspeed2 (edited 05-15-2009 @ 08:56 AM).]

ImperialLobster
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-15-09 11:17 AM EDT (US)     74 / 79       
    1st of all, dont call it "Tourney"... we are all bad enough nerds without that silly word.

KEEP
    CALM
    AND
    CARRY
    ON
    ≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
    goodspeed2
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-15-09 11:29 AM EDT (US)     75 / 79       
    first of all, don't use "first of all" if you're only gonna make 1 statement.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames