You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The more I play AoM the more I think about what it COULD have been.
Bottom
Topic Subject:The more I play AoM the more I think about what it COULD have been.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
BlumenKohl
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 04:53 PM EDT (US)         
Well, unlike AoE AoK which over time grew on me quickly as I played it more. AoM is growing off me the more I play it.

After I played a little game, I sat there in deep thought thinking of what AoM could have been. And I don't intend to sit there and force myself to pretend I like the game...

The more I play it, the more clear I can see the soul of the game. The shell is different, but deep down it is, nothing more than AoK with new eye candy, and absolutely nothing new to the RTS world.

I mean, try to give one gameplay feature that's not been done before in an RTS game.

Look at the games' title and just imagine the possibilities and new cool features that could have been implemented into the game, taking a leap forward, instead of being a sitting duck.

Different and varied cultures. Awessome!

I doubt I'll be purchasing the expansion (though it's becoming clear that Microsoft isn't gonna call for one, if AoM doesn't make good sales)

The Genetically Enhanced Cauliflower
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
Click Here to visit my website.

AuthorReplies:
The Pizza Guy
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 09:47 AM EDT (US)     26 / 51       

Quote:

Look at the games' title and just imagine the possibilities and new cool features that could have been implemented into the game

So what "new cool features" could have been added then?

The Pizza Guy
My job is to stuff your guts with pizza
ESO Name: ThePizzaGuy

"A nerd is someone who wouldnt go to a party cause hes too busy studying. A geek is someone who would go to a party but would get several wedgies. Which are you?" - My 7 year old bro

McHale
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 12:45 PM EDT (US)     27 / 51       

Quote:

Well, unlike AoE AoK which over time grew on me quickly as I played it more. AoM is growing off me the more I play it.

Ditto. I haven't played it in a month. I just don't like the gameplay and multiplayer is too fast paced considering it's supposed to be a strategy game.

hades27
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 12:54 PM EDT (US)     28 / 51       
lol Evilned, that is quite funny. but its tru about WCiii having not much strategic element in it :P

- BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!!
ESO: IamHades27

Winner of the least favorite forumer AoMH's award 2002!!
polaris_crd
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 01:58 PM EDT (US)     29 / 51       
I like AoM. Its a fun game, IMHO. All AoM needs to be a better game is fixing online problems and minor balance and tech issues.

WCIII isn't that great of a game. Yes, the single player missions were fun. After thats over online play sucks. My last game was a ladder game where all that was left on the field was my dred lord. I had to slowly kill off my oponent with one hero unit. HOW pathetic! WCIII is a resource game. AoM ends with military action unlike WCIII.

There are also too many balance issues to list about WCIII.

My hobby is playing video games, and my dream is to someday get paid to do it.
hades27
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 02:00 PM EDT (US)     30 / 51       
hey polaris_crd Warcraftiii isnt really a resource game, the game has only wood and gold resource!:P (and you barely need wood!)

- BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!!
ESO: IamHades27

Winner of the least favorite forumer AoMH's award 2002!!
Black Knight 01
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 02:04 PM EDT (US)     31 / 51       
I don't think Norse, Greek and Egg's are battling each other somehow! Nor Men, Orcs and Night-Elves. I think they have joined up having a terrific war between AoM & Warcraft 3.

Seems to me that different games are for differnt pll. AoM could have been better, every game can be better, there is no perfect game. There are always good & bad points about a game. To some pll, there are BAD & GOOD points about a game.

If AoM does not apeal to you, play Warcraft 3. Play The Sims. Play Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. Play Fifa. Play foot-ball! Play music! If you don't even want to play anything, just work and sleep and eat! Ok, I am confused...

~ A stupid person said to his stupid freind: 'If I get to the pub first, I'll right my name on the wall.'
To which his freind replied: -'If I get there first, I'll rub it off!' Thank you. ~
-
nvpc2001
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 02:29 PM EDT (US)     32 / 51       
Are there anyone that have really played AOM say this game is a copy of AOE with fancy stuff.
BlumenKohl, can u give me teh example of "new cool features that could have been implemented into the game"
that you want. I really want to know.
Black Knight 01
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 02:55 PM EDT (US)     33 / 51       
Me too.

~ A stupid person said to his stupid freind: 'If I get to the pub first, I'll right my name on the wall.'
To which his freind replied: -'If I get there first, I'll rub it off!' Thank you. ~
-
WhoAskedU
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 03:01 PM EDT (US)     34 / 51       
Yep, you’re right. Age of Mythology is basically Age of Kings, especially since Age of Kings had 19 civilizations that were all basically the same except 1-2 unique units, a unique technology, minor civilization bonuses, Two-Dimensional and civilization art...

I mean of course Age of Mythology has 3 completely unique cultures, god powers (no spells), and Mythological "Unique" units, Three-Dimensional Graphics, and (besides all I have said) is balanced. Age of Mythology is exactly the same as Age of Kings.

Come on guys, that’s like saying once you’ve seen a girl, you’ve seen them all. They basically are “all the same”. I mean they all have eyes, hair, and breasts...

That's nonsense.

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.
nvpc2001
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 03:15 PM EDT (US)     35 / 51       
quote myself
-----------------------------------------------------
Are there anyone that have *really *played AOM say this game is a copy of AOE with fancy stuff.
----------------------------------------------
* I mean people who at least played AoM enuf to beat hard comp.
proq
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 03:35 PM EDT (US)     36 / 51       
Just think about the saying, "Don't fix what's not broken." (something like that) If you liked AOK, why don't you like AOM. AOM has enough improvements for a purchase worthwhile. ESO may not be the best multiplayer community out there, but it does an OK job at getting us playing others online.
Triped
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 10:46 PM EDT (US)     37 / 51       
Nobody on this site is qualified to discuss the pros and cons of Warcraft III except me.

Age of Mythology has enough of a hook that it's fun right off, and the number of strategies one can pull off, multiplied by the effective number of different civs one can play...it's really starting to surprise me. And people are still thinking of new stuff after a few months...compare that to Warcraft III, where all the viable strategies used to day were thought of by the top beta players months before the game was released.

The_Avenger772
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 11:34 PM EDT (US)     38 / 51       

Quote:

The game is good, yes, but the fact that you can't play online is a biiiig drawback.

:D

Zaknafien
Skirmisher
posted 12-16-02 00:29 AM EDT (US)     39 / 51       
"Nobody on this site is qualified to discuss the pros and cons of Warcraft III except me.
Age of Mythology has enough of a hook that it's fun right off, and the number of strategies one can pull off, multiplied by the effective number of different civs one can play...it's really starting to surprise me. And people are still thinking of new stuff after a few months...compare that to Warcraft III, where all the viable strategies used to day were thought of by the top beta players months before the game was released."

No. They werent all thought up before then. Just like not all AoM strats were thought up in the alpha. Theyve both evolved as theyve been played.

alpha77
Skirmisher
posted 12-16-02 08:07 AM EDT (US)     40 / 51       
Heres what I think, (like you care)

AoM is a great game, AoK was ok when I first bought it but rocked after the xpack.. AoM is better than AoK but not near as good as AoK:TC sooo... if AoM is better than AoK once it gets an xpack it will be better than AoK:TC

Hope my twisted logic dosent confuse too many Greek players, I know its hard for them to understand some things :-)

roog420
Skirmisher
posted 12-16-02 10:21 AM EDT (US)     41 / 51       
I don't know what more people are looking for from an RTS game. You gather, you build and then you fight. Thats the elements of an RTS game. People aren't going around saying the new Unreal tournament sucks because all you do is run around and shoot people.

I think AoM is a big step above AoE, the three unique civs in AoM are more interesting than 10+ identical AoE civs. It reminds me more of starcraft, where you have three races that strategically play differently. And no one has said they don't like the game because its unbalanced, or not challenging enough, or not enough variety. The biggest complaint is "Its more of the same"? Well its way more of the same style gameplay with new features (Heroes, Myth Units, God Powers), and the quality of the content makes it refreshing even coming right from playing AoE. If RTS games bore you then go play something else for a while, like was mentioned.

Nero
Skirmisher
(id: Richard the God)
posted 12-16-02 03:55 PM EDT (US)     42 / 51       
I agree with roog.The game makes huge leaps forowrd for a rts.A new kinda of resource.New distict civs.New kinda of units(mus).The game has brand spanking new written all over it!

NERO
"Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl."
- Bill Peterson, football coach

DarkSimon
Skirmisher
posted 12-16-02 04:10 PM EDT (US)     43 / 51       
I don't know if you care, I was a bit disapointed with AOM at first but as I played the campaign and tried out diffrent strategies In the end I think rises above WC3, which I was exicted about but began disapointed with it.
Which is too bad, I was hoping for Blizzard to make some cool new games, but it seems they arn't anymore.

All together a game I have never been disapointed with yet never been really addicted to, which may be my fav game is EE.

Heh, might be some pointless info to you, but whatevr.

Cataphract887
Skirmisher
posted 12-16-02 10:53 PM EDT (US)     44 / 51       

Quote:

I shoudn't even bother replying to this...
There are tons of new features. God powers. Myth units. All units being unique units to their culture. A huge campaign.

I think the closest thing to AoK is that the Greeks get a Granary, and they have a Fortress in Heroic. Almost everything else is different.

i shouldnt even bother replying to this ...

god powers are nothing special imo.just like in EE but without a priest.

myth units?except for fancy animations and being strong,i dont see any difference from any unit in aok.
and the greeks have lots of stuff just like in aok,different names.

AoE ----> AoK HUGE step aok -----> AoM 2 cm forewered

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 12-16-2002 @ 10:55 PM).]

Nobull
Skirmisher
posted 12-19-02 09:51 PM EDT (US)     45 / 51       
The reason why that people are thinking of what the game COULD have been was because MS and ES over publiced it. They showed us everything that was new about AOM, the graphics, the units, the god powers, even all the gods and their bonus's which led the fans to having nothing to be suprised or unexpected about.

Unfortunatly this happened to me. I still play AOM about once a day, which is normal for me for any game, but i knew what you had to do and how to do it. There were no surprises or unexpections.

but it is true, there wasnt much difference in the basic gameplay

Well I'm not gonna do anything like that again with RON (or any new game that looks cool) because i want to be suprised with everything that it is, im only gonna go to a fan site once a month to see if there has been any changes to the release date(i hope it stays the same! )

oh yeah, Roog420 the thing people people are looking for in rts games nowdays is somthing very different to anything else (in my own opinion). People have been playing the same strategy over and over, and they need somthing new, not just a clone of another game with one small, hardly detecable new feature. Hell the way the map is layed out can make a game very different, ie they should make a globe instead of a flat map, with sea currents or weather. that would really add some spice in a new game! You would have to think of so many things! (where to guide your ships in a storm is one point)

Mojo14
Skirmisher
posted 12-19-02 11:01 PM EDT (US)     46 / 51       
Nobull, a glob would make the game have to have crap 2D graphics because the map would have to be huge.
Nobull
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-02 01:03 AM EDT (US)     47 / 51       
3d graphics arent really required for a really fun game.

the only 3d thing i think is required to the games are the units.

vladimir87
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-02 08:46 AM EDT (US)     48 / 51       

Quote:

I don't get it, it's much more of a leap than AoK compared to AoE.
Everything around the gods is new (heroes, myth units, god powers, favor).

And there's a huge gameplay change - limited settlements, which define strategic points and also control max pop.

And also the gameplay change of weak defenses ...

And three civs with very different flavors (not just vanilla vs French-vanilla.) The AoK civs were about as different as Hades compared to Poseidon, in my opinion.

Perhaps the writer is just kind of burned out on this genre.

Thats what I agree with... I mean, right now I am completely burnt out with RPGs... If I keep playing AOM I will probably burn out with RTS (maybe not!)... I think maybe you are burned out with this kind of game already...

Three completely different cultures... sub-deities granting different units techs. Heroes, favor, myth units, god powers... And I hvaent heard of similar strategy in AOM and AOK. I mean how often in AOK were you attacking at your pop limit with siege units (I'm thinking minotaur :-P) included?

Norse build with military buildings? Ox carts? Converting gatherers? Egyptions hvaeing priests? Empowering? Converting animals? Mercenaries? Automatically upgrading towers? Starting with towers!

Even greeks are different from AOK in some major ways...

I do believe ES could have stretched AOM even farther to its full potential... But I must say I for one, am satisfied...

"try to give one gameplay feature that's not been done before in an RTS game"

Killing to get favor? Praying to get favor? building monuments to get favor? Myth units? God powers?

I suppose in some way you can say those have been done in RTS games before, but I would argue that they havent been done in the same way as AOM...

Nobull
Skirmisher
posted 12-20-02 08:25 PM EDT (US)     49 / 51       
Aom is like a new coat of paint over an old house(AOK). It might look different and feel different, but in realality its essentially the same house underneith the paint.

[This message has been edited by Nobull (edited 12-20-2002 @ 08:27 PM).]

DarkKnight_
Skirmisher
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 12-20-02 08:55 PM EDT (US)     50 / 51       
The only similarity I see between AoK and AoM is that you make units to kill the enemy.

DK
DarkSimon
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-02 00:03 AM EDT (US)     51 / 51       
It's diffrent, new units, new gamplay.. Not nesserarly a drastic diffrence, But i wouldn't expect that, It's ES and since they already have games, I'd expect them to be similar.

I'm still gonna play these new games as they come out, if you want something the way you want it, how about you create the game yourself?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames