You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.65 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoE3 Scenario Design Wiki
Bottom
Topic Subject:AoE3 Scenario Design Wiki
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Spitfire
HG Alumnus
(id: spitfire_23)
posted 10-21-05 04:30 PM EDT (US)         

We are please to announce the first HG-run community wiki. To build a comprehensive encyclopedia of Scenario Design has been an unrealized dream for past games. Starting today, we are going to attempt it for AoE3. With your help, we intend build a complete reference for the art of Scenario Design. Here is the link:

http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/

Here are just a few of the features:

• YOU can add new articles, or edit current ones!
  • A Question Center, where new designers can learn from experienced ones
  • A Frequently Asked Questions section with a page for each common question.
  • Complete guides to all the basics of scenario design
  • A page on every condition and on every effect
  • The “Design Dictionary”, containing common design-related words
  • Much, much more.

What is a wiki? What’s so great about it?
A wiki is a lot like this forum. People can post on it, format their posts with colors and links, and they can start discussions with each other. A wiki, however, has one critical advantage: Anyone can edit a page on a wiki. Think of the Scenario Design Library for AoK. Only one or two people can edit it to keep its contents up to date! Talk about a lost cause. Then think of a thread giving helpful information to designers. The thread’s poster can edit it, and other people can contribute to it in an unorganized fashion. Now think of a wiki. Anyone in the world can edit it. They don’t even need to have an account, and they can keep information together in a clear and organized fashion, that is easily searched, and easily referenced to other pages.

Skeptical? Many people are. Don’t take my word for it though: there’s a great example of a wiki in action at www.wikipedia.org. Wikipedia is the world’s largest encyclopedia, and it is growing at a phenomenal rate every day.

What sort of information will be on the wiki?
The wiki will be dedicated to information about Age of Empires 3 Scenario Design. This ranges from a section for asking questions, to a section defining design-related words, to a section explaining each condition and effect in the Age of Empires 3 Editor. In short, the wiki will have everything you ever wanted to know about AoE3 design in one place. Have you ever been designing for another game, and couldn’t remember some minor fact? That will never happen to you again once the wiki project is up and running.

Won’t the wiki overlap with the forums?
We’re going to do everything possible to prevent this. Things related to the scenario design community can still be discussed on the forums, as can things relating to AoE3 design. Think of the forums as the place where you work out the “rough drafts” of what will later become articles.

How can I help?
Let’s face it: the wiki project isn’t going to succeed without a concentrated effort from the community. Don’t just assume that the next guy will help out, because he’s saying that about you! In the end, we feel that the reward will be worth it: a better scenario design experience for everyone.

Have you ever wanted to work for HG? This is your big chance!

Right now, HG is looking for committed individuals, who are willing to dedicate their time to making the community better for everyone. These “Administrators”, while not HG staff, will be in charge of one or more of the sections on the wiki (view sections here). So if you think you’ve got what it takes, apply now! Either post a reply in this thread or email spitfire.23@gmail.com and kumarshah@heavengames.com with your application. You should include with your application:

• your email
  • IM contact info (if possible)
  • Whether or not you’ve edited a wiki before

Additionally, include a brief description of why you feel you’re suited to work on the wiki, possibly providing examples of things you’ve done in the past to help the design community. If your application is approved my myself and the AoE3H seraph (Aro), we'll let you know. If you have an account on the wiki, we'll give you sysop status. Read about that here.

I have a suggestion for the wiki
By all means, post your suggestions in this thread. This is a brand new approach for everyone, so we're willing to adapt. We're especially interested in how easy you found it to learn how to edit - making this as easy as possible is our goal. Editing a wiki is at about the same level of difficulty as formatting a post you make on the forums, but the conventions may be difficult to adapt to. When the wiki really gets up and running, we'll be relying on people being able to learn the software easily.

Conclusion
Today, the first step into a larger world has been taken. A long journey lies ahead of us, and nobody can see where the road leads. Ultimately, the success or failure of this project depends on you - the scenario designer.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____

[This message has been edited by Spitfire (edited 11-04-2005 @ 10:11 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 10-30-05 03:59 PM EDT (US)     51 / 65       
Thank you!
Spitfire
HG Alumnus
(id: spitfire_23)
posted 11-04-05 10:10 AM EDT (US)     52 / 65       
A few clarifications on what the wiki is not.

• The wiki is not the place to post an article about yourself. The only place where such articles are allowed is on pages in the "User:" namespace that you get when you create an account.
  • The wiki is not the place to post an article about your scenario. We are not an advertising medium.
  • The wiki is not the place to post articles about other games, including scenario design in other games. Exceptions are made for many AoM design articles because they can be applied to the AoE3 editor.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
Natural Green
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-05 11:09 PM EDT (US)     53 / 65       
There needs to be a list on that site or on this forum of ALL the upcoming scenarios with a % complete stat.

Thank you.

papaya
ಠ_ಠ
(id: X_MOSS)
posted 11-13-05 05:22 PM EDT (US)     54 / 65       
Here

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
BilboBeutlin
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 06:03 PM EDT (US)     55 / 65       
Hi,
I'm not satisfied with FAQ 1.5 When playtesting a map,...

"They don't work in playtest mode"
curious - at mine they do with the other prepositions.

"select Age3AI.xs"
This file contains only some dummy lines. Right was 'aiLoaderStandard.xs', which includes 'aiHeader.xs' and 'aiMain.xs'

"you must pick an AI and HC"
AI is substancially - a HC optionally. Surely without HC one can't get shipments/cards.

papaya
ಠ_ಠ
posted 11-16-05 06:18 PM EDT (US)     56 / 65       
I don't really understand what your saying, but if you don't think that the FAQ is good enough, then change it

BilboBeutlin
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 06:32 PM EDT (US)     57 / 65       
I don't get paid for .. *lol*
seriously: for some reason I dislike post-editing other author's stuff
papaya
ಠ_ಠ
posted 11-16-05 09:10 PM EDT (US)     58 / 65       
Well that is the point of a wiki, a place where everyone can add, change, or create. I guess your just saying your too lazy to do it yourself. Post what you want changed and I will see what I can do.

BilboBeutlin
Skirmisher
posted 11-17-05 07:05 AM EDT (US)     59 / 65       
another point is: I'm no native english speaker, have another language version
so plz proof-read and post if ok.
--------------------------------------------------

Howto setup a scenario with active NPC / AI

(notations might differ from language)

1. Place 'Town Center' or 'Covered Wagon' at desired location. For a TC be sure, to use a normal! one.
2. Place an 'AI Start Object' for each NPC at TC/CW or nearby.
3. Go to 'Scenario -> Player Data' and select as 'Control' for each human player 'Human', for each NPC 'Computer'
4. Select with buttons 'AI' for each NPC the 'aiLoaderStandard.xs'.
5. (optionally enable shipments) Select related homecities for players. 'Reset HC' links with default civ. specific HC, 'Set HC' displays current and enables individual selection.
6. To support AI behavior: depending from kind of map, set according flags in 'World' -> 'Map Types'
7. Reset current player to #1 and test or save scenario

Important Hints:
- Bug: a doubleclick in filerequester may not work. Be sure to Open/Load the file.
- Ctrl-F#key selects current playernumber
- For better test observation, temporary place map revealers or setup a trigger with Condition:'Always', Effect:'Set Tech Status', 'Player 1', 'Spies', 'Active'.
- It was reported, that 'Test Scenario' not always works. In this case save and 'Play Scenario' from main menu.
- It was reported, that eg. tradeposts may have a strange behavior. In this case make sure, there is at least one AI Start Object for Gaia.

Hikari
Skirmisher
(id: echowinds)
posted 11-18-05 05:45 AM EDT (US)     60 / 65       
Nice articles; kudos.

RF_Gandalf
Skirmisher
posted 11-18-05 10:44 PM EDT (US)     61 / 65       
Is the Wiki going to include info on creating Random Map Scripts??? If so there needs to be a new category for that on the Wiki index. Might be willing to contribute...
papaya
ಠ_ಠ
posted 11-18-05 11:20 PM EDT (US)     62 / 65       
Hello RF_Gandalf,
We currently have a RMS section of the wiki, but the information there is very limited. We are in need of a RMS sysop (aka: Admin), and if you are willing to take the role you should email Spitfire or post here. Sysop or not, you may add content to the wiki at anytime.

Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 11-19-05 03:53 PM EDT (US)     63 / 65       
Yeah I got featured=). It's Gaurdian_112 btw.
U_Spawn_U
Skirmisher
posted 12-25-05 12:25 PM EDT (US)     64 / 65       
AoW Rulz, This old post but has some good info, all designers must check wiki out

U_Spawn_U - Think About It

[This message has been edited by U_Spawn_U (edited 12-25-2005 @ 01:47 PM).]

papaya
ಠ_ಠ
posted 12-25-05 01:37 PM EDT (US)     65 / 65       
why spam?

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames