You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1605 replies, Sticky
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Scenario Design Library - FAQ Database, Ask Questions Here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Scenario Design Library - FAQ Database, Ask Questions Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 48 49 50 51 52 ··· 60 ··· 65  Next Page »
papaya
ಠ_ಠ
(id: X_MOSS)
posted 10-25-05 10:25 PM EDT (US)         

The Scenario Design Library

THE AOE3H SCENARIO DESIGN WIKI
Design Dictionary | Editor Functions | Mapwork | Triggers | Design Teams
Frequently Asked Questions for AOE3 Scenario Editor | How to Set the AI to Work in a Scenario

What is this thread for?

If you ever have a question or a problem related to scenario designing, this is the place to come! This thread contains all the links, questions and answers, articles and guides you'll ever need to design scenarios for Age of Empires III. Be it a question on mapping, scripting, triggers, units, AI, and anything related to the scenario designing world, ask it here!

How to use this thread

Following this procedure is the best way to get your question answered as quickly and effectively as possible:
  1. Go to the scenario design Wiki and search for your problem by browsing through the article lists or by using the search box, e.g. when searching for information on the modify protounit trigger, selecting the "Go" button will try to find a page entitled "protounit", and selecting "Search" will bring up a list of articles that have relevance to "protounit".

2. Your next port of call should be the library articles listed below. These are guides written by our expert forummers to explain aspects of the technique of scenario design.
  3. If the Wiki and the articles do not have the answer, then try searching through this forum. For example, if you are having trouble with the "Modify Protounit" trigger, and the Wiki hasn't helped, then by searching for "protounit" in the "Subject:" box, a list of all thread titles containing "protounit" will be listed. You'll most likely find that the answer to your question is in one of those.

4. If you still can't find the answer to your question, then post your question in here, or if the question is quite large, create your own thread for it.

Some tips when asking questions:
  • Be patient. It might take some time for a designer with the necessary skills and experience to notice your question and answer it.
  • Try to be as detailed as you can when your explain your question or problem. List any steps you have already tried, or make it clear and specific with what you are trying to achieve. This helps people to answer your question and saves a lot of time. Also, vague questions are more likely to be ignored.
  • No-one is forced to answer your question; the forummers who take the time to answer questions do so voluntarily and are under no obligation to answer your question.
  • As in all areas of forumming, try to make sure you use correct spelling and grammar when asking or answering questions. By doing so you make your text more readable and less open to ambiguity. Of course, if English isn't your first language then that is an exception, but always take the time and effort to make your post legible.

Some tips when answering questions:
  • Try to be as specific as possible. Often people who ask questions don't know what a lot of features are. If in order to solve one of their problems, they need to download something, then tell them. Not everybody has downloaded extended editors.
  • Often linking to relevant pages in the wiki will help stress your ideas even more. When talking about a certain condition or effect, link to the corresponding trigger page at the wiki. This can easily be done without even going to the wiki. Simply put "wiki.heavengames.com/age/" then the trigger name (with "_" instead of spaces). Example, for fire event: wiki.heavengames.com/age/fire_event.
  • Don't criticize people, and call them n00bs just because they asked simple questions. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? When you make fun of people for asking a silly question, they might be scared not to ask them anymore, and we wouldn't want that. The point of this thread is for every question to get answered, for the community's sake. Who knows, maybe someday they will realise a fantastic scenario.

Wiki Information and Article Database

The AoE3H Scenario Design Wiki

We are please to announce the first HG-run community wiki. To build a comprehensive encyclopedia of Scenario Design has been an unrealized dream for past games. Starting today, we are going to attempt it for AoE3. With your help, we intend build a complete reference for the art of Scenario Design. Here is the link:

http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/

Here are just a few of the features:
  • YOU can add new articles, or edit current ones!
  • A Question Center, where new designers can learn from experienced ones
  • A Frequently Asked Questions section with a page for each common question.
  • Complete guides to all the basics of scenario design
  • A page on every condition and on every effect
  • The “Design Dictionary”, containing common design-related words
  • Much, much more.

What is a wiki? What’s so great about it?
A wiki is a lot like this forum. People can post on it, format their posts with colors and links, and they can start discussions with each other. A wiki, however, has one critical advantage: Anyone can edit a page on a wiki. Think of the Scenario Design Library for AoK. Only one or two people can edit it to keep its contents up to date! Talk about a lost cause. Then think of a thread giving helpful information to designers. The thread’s poster can edit it, and other people can contribute to it in an unorganized fashion. Now think of a wiki. Anyone in the world can edit it. They don’t even need to have an account, and they can keep information together in a clear and organized fashion, that is easily searched, and easily referenced to other pages.

Skeptical? Many people are. Don’t take my word for it though: there’s a great example of a wiki in action at www.wikipedia.org. Wikipedia is the world’s largest encyclopedia, and it is growing at a phenomenal rate every day.

What sort of information will be on the wiki?
The wiki will be dedicated to information about Age of Empires 3 Scenario Design. This ranges from a section for asking questions, to a section defining design-related words, to a section explaining each condition and effect in the Age of Empires 3 Editor. In short, the wiki will have everything you ever wanted to know about AoE3 design in one place. Have you ever been designing for another game, and couldn’t remember some minor fact? That will never happen to you again once the wiki project is up and running.

Won’t the wiki overlap with the forums?
We’re going to do everything possible to prevent this. Things related to the scenario design community can still be discussed on the forums, as can things relating to AoE3 design. Think of the forums as the place where you work out the “rough drafts” of what will later become articles.

How can I help?
Let’s face it: the wiki project isn’t going to succeed without a concentrated effort from the community. Don’t just assume that the next guy will help out, because he’s saying that about you! In the end, we feel that the reward will be worth it: a better scenario design experience for everyone.

Have you ever wanted to work for HG? This is your big chance!

Right now, HG is looking for committed individuals, who are willing to dedicate their time to making the community better for everyone. These “Administrators”, while not HG staff, will be in charge of one or more of the sections on the wiki (view sections here). So if you think you’ve got what it takes, apply now! Either post a reply in this thread or email spitfire.23@gmail.com with your application. You should include with your application:
  • your email
  • IM contact info (if possible)
  • Whether or not you’ve edited a wiki before

Additionally, include a brief description of why you feel you’re suited to work on the wiki, possibly providing examples of things you’ve done in the past to help the design community. If your application is approved by myself and the AoE3H seraphs (NAT and Elpea), we'll let you know. If you have an account on the wiki, we'll give you sysop status. Read about that here.

I have a suggestion for the wiki
By all means, post your suggestions in this thread. This is a brand new approach for everyone, so we're willing to adapt. We're especially interested in how easy you found it to learn how to edit - making this as easy as possible is our goal. Editing a wiki is at about the same level of difficulty as formatting a post you make on the forums, but the conventions may be difficult to adapt to. When the wiki really gets up and running, we'll be relying on people being able to learn the software easily.

Conclusion
Today, the first step into a larger world has been taken. A long journey lies ahead of us, and nobody can see where the road leads. Ultimately, the success or failure of this project depends on you - the scenario designer.

TS University

A fantastic resource for AoE3 related design articles.

The TS University (TSU) is a unique online university dedicated to scenario design, and a comprehensive library of articles, tutorials, and resources for scenario designers.

Our interactive e-zine and forum will further serve the scenario design community through focused discussions, featured articles, and the latest news and information.

The goal of TSU is to assemble the greatest body of scenario design knowledge and discovery information into our library's vast article database.

The database to provide both new and experienced designers with quality articles and tutorials on all scenario design subjects, and also provide an excellent platform for authors and scholars to share their design knowledge with greater focus and scope.

We invite the most knowledgeable in scenario design, regardless of their team affiliations, or independent goals to join us as authors, editors, interns, and scholars for our articles. We encourage everybody who wants to share their knowledge to send articles to us. We promise to present articles in a professional manner that will highlight the creative source, so the greater community can benefit from your accomplishments in scenario design.

(Quoted from TSU website)

Forum Article Database

Thanks to Papaya, Spitfire and FD2 for information from their previous versions.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 12-31-2007 @ 01:35 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-09 04:53 AM EDT (US)     1226 / 1605       
Thanks. However, I'm talking about the hard edge at the top, where the water starts to flow down (and not about the "pixels" in the air right and left from the waterfall)... I tried it several times, and it always looks like this.

It strikes me that I've never really seen a waterfall in game. Can someone tell me where to download a scenario with a waterfall?

Play my scenarios! You won't believe how much fun they are!
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 04-23-09 08:13 AM EDT (US)     1227 / 1605       
Thanks. However, I'm talking about the hard edge at the top, where the water starts to flow down (and not about the "pixels" in the air right and left from the waterfall)... I tried it several times, and it always looks like this.
U used the false kind of water try e.g. amazon
It strikes me that I've never really seen a waterfall in game. Can someone tell me where to download a scenario with a waterfall?
My one should get one but havent one yet

ESO2 Name:Sir_ConstantinESO Name:Sir_Pacman
Trigger Freak and Modder for AOE3

SCP Editor Tools---my map pack---Some incomplete stuff
My trigger Pack
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 04-23-09 10:19 AM EDT (US)     1228 / 1605       
You can fix your sharp-edged waterfall easily.

First of all, think of a waterfall as just a section of the water + lakebed that is bent into an ELL shape. That is, you can raise or lower the lakebed terrain to be "shallower" or "deeper" to the sharp corner of the water as needed. You can even cause the lakebed terrain to peek out through the edges of the waterfall, or the vertical drop of the waterfall. This can be done to break up the contours a little bit. It can also be done to act as a pillar or spike upon which you then put rock groupings and other props.

For an example of how changing the height of the underlying terrain can help, look at the "locks" at Lisbon below.

[JPEG, (368.18 KB)]

Here I've made a small waterfall. It has a sharp edge and is 2 different water types coming together. It could potentially look really awkward. But I've raised the underlying riverbed up to almost the water level, and placed some rocks and props on those spikes of riverbed so they cover the sharp edge, break up the vertical drop, and hide the obvious sharp line where the two water types clash. (In order to turn props sideways, you need Reyk's editor mod for TAD-get it in the Miscellaneous downloads). That's what it looks like at higher graphics. It is still functional and decent looking at lowest graphics (I make my terrains at lo graphics to keep my comp from crashing).

You can even raise an entire 1x1 square of terrain through the water cascade and plant a tree on it.

You can also lower the terrain under a waterfall, cliff it up so you can see cliff bits behind the water, and other tricks. Ships will still sail up and down the falls, unless you prevent it by blocking or placing a gate (like a locks) across.

@watertype: Any watertype can be made to look great in falls. You have to be more careful with the transparent ones, but working with transparent water can be very rewarding (cliff bits visible behind falls, other effects that peek through). Yellow River isn't truly transparent; in deeper water you get the opacity as seen here. Falls in real life tend to be in rapidly moving streams and rivers, with clear bluish to greenish water. A muddy, silty, or floody river type isn't the best to use to convey this. I've found the most attractive water types to be Andes and Pampas River, or Saguenay Lake + Texas Pond. Amazon Basin is also OK but the river version tends to be muddy brown in lo graphics.

In Lisbon the two watertypes above are Andes River (an opaque watertype) emptying into California Coast (a transparent watertype).

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 04-23-2009 @ 10:27 AM).]

Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-09 05:40 PM EDT (US)     1229 / 1605       
Thanks for your detailed explanation. I still haven't managed to get it right, but I'll try again soon...
Why don't you add your explanation to the wiki article about waterfalls? It's much more detailed than the current one...

fourmin99999
Skirmisher
posted 04-23-09 06:24 PM EDT (US)     1230 / 1605       
I Went to play My game (TAD) and apparently the AOE3Mods messed up something with the "AI Loader". whenever i start a game, on the map loading screen i get a message saying that it "Can't compile AI Loader" or something like that. The AI players also never move. Is their a file i need that it erased? Could someone send me a copy of their file?
Thanks, Andrew
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 04-23-09 11:15 PM EDT (US)     1231 / 1605       

It is possible the certain files were updated by the mod.
Who knows what got changed.

The best thing I can think of is uninstall all your AOE3 installations (vanilla plus all expansions) and then re-install them all over again.
For the future I would suggest backing up the entire AOE3 folder before installing a mod.
You can then always apply back the entire original folder in order to remove the mod.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 04-25-09 09:52 AM EDT (US)     1232 / 1605       
After exams are over (I have two more) I'll put up something on the wiki. There's two other waterfalls in my scn and they are taller and have fewer rocks, but use cliff bits peeking through to give an effect. I'll bug my husband to take hi-res pics of them this afternoon.

Edit: Underwater Trade Routes 2 is now ready. This method is useful for historically and geographically accurate map making. Want to put trade posts along that Mississippi River at St. Louis, Memphis, and New Orleans? Go for it!

also Tools for Unique Waterfalls is up. Not a comprehensive guide, more sort of a supplement.

Crunkatog on ESO
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 04-28-2009 @ 11:12 PM).]

Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-09 07:23 PM EDT (US)     1233 / 1605       
Nice guides with lovely screenshots.

New questions:

Which trigger effect do I best use if someone says something in-game?
It should be displayed as chat on the left. No portrait or player name should be displayed. I tried out several different send chat effects, but there was always something wrong. Eg. one time there was a small black square displayed before the text etc.

I have troubles with placing waters. Often when I paint water over land terrain, some small spots can't be painted over (with water)... What could be the problem?

As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 04-29-09 07:38 PM EDT (US)     1234 / 1605       
Send Chat to Player should work fine. If the player sending the chat is a computer player, you can send it as that player's chat, which would give you a small icon for that cpu player and the chat text to the left. If you send it as a fake player, for instance Fake Player 1 to Player 1 + Player 3, then it will have a blank square.

As for painting water over terrains - make sure you are not trying to paint over cliffs or a pre-existing river. To get rid of stray cliff bits, use the Terrain Elevation eyedropper tool to select the height of the default terrain and then paint that terrain height over the cliffs. This will flatten the area and erase the cliffy parts. You should then be able to extend your water body over the area without hitting something it can't handle.

If you still end up with blanks in the water surface, say after trying to make a waterfall or merge 2 bodies of dissimilar water, you may need to put a couple rocks there to cover it - I ran into this problem when making Quebec and had to put a few shallows rocks over the offending spots to cover them up. They are still navigable AFAIK so you should not have any pathing issues due to your cover-ups.

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-09 07:43 PM EDT (US)     1235 / 1605       
Thanks...
If you still end up with blanks in the water surface [...]
Does this mean there can be small spots of land in the water which can't be removed no matter what?
Then I really should save everytime before I place water...

New question:
Is it possible to check with a trigger if a HerdAnimal (eg. sheep) already has gathered 500/500 (=max) Food?

More detailed: I need something like unit in area=sheep with food 500/500.

[This message has been edited by Darthcast (edited 04-30-2009 @ 07:48 PM).]

KevTheGreat
Scenario Expert
posted 04-30-09 07:51 PM EDT (US)     1236 / 1605       
not that i know of

AGE OF EMPIRES 3 USERNAME - KevTheGreat :::: DAWN OF WAR 2 USERNAME - KEVTHEGREATEST :::: STEAM USERNAME - 何健龍
Some of my aoe3 scenarios here,
Most Popular: The Race 2 4.7/5.0 Global Wars 4.4/5.0 The Great Colosseum 4.6/5.0 Arab Desert 4V2 3.9/5.0 The Race 4.2/5 Fort of War 3.9/5.0
don't click this?
Follow me on Twitter
我知廣東話, 你知唔知廣東話?? 如果你知 contact me !!
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-01-09 03:11 AM EDT (US)     1237 / 1605       
it`s a bit limited...
You can find out if it use any LivestockPen. U can find out when it has enough to eat IF THIS ANIMAL IS ON A LivestockPen. But if you have no LifestockPen(or another gathering place) there are only two options: either animal is killed by any player or pre- defined timer show that it gained 400/400 food (llike it have this amount at e.g. 10 mins).

If u go with yards you must use QV Set Unit Action ID from pftq`s trigger set

Trigger1: -activ-loop -run immediate-high priority
    Condition:
    timer
    Effect:
    QV Set Unit Action ID
  • Player (-1)
  • Unit (your animal)
  • QV to record (any QV e.g. lol1)

Trigger2: -activ -run immediate-high priority
    Condition:
    Quest var Check
  • lol1
  • ==

Effect:

3 = gathering from Livestock
7 = idle unit
8 = stopped gathering (ca 5 secs visible after gathering is finished)
9 = in movement

I tested it with a llama and a LivestockPen
for sacred fields the 8 is never shown snce it never stop gathering (gather still XP)

My trigger Pack

[This message has been edited by Mister SCP (edited 05-01-2009 @ 03:21 AM).]

Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 05-02-09 12:54 PM EDT (US)     1238 / 1605       
Thanks, even though I didn't quite understand it all..

But I guess I didn't describe it detailed enough, anyway...
The player should train a sheep from the livestock pen. Then he should wait until it is fattened. And if he brings any fattened sheep to a specific point on the map, he gets something.

You said you've tried it out, do you still have the file?
And how would the other possibility work (animal is killed by any player)?

Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-02-09 02:55 PM EDT (US)     1239 / 1605       
Thanks, even though I didn't quite understand it all..

But I guess I didn't describe it detailed enough, anyway...
The player should train a sheep from the livestock pen. Then he should wait until it is fattened. And if he brings any fattened sheep to a specific point on the map, he gets something.
I thought you have sheeps anywhere on the map and dont need to train them...
Now you can call me asshole since I am possible to do it with parts of my latest trigger. But if i would publish it the whole community could ´steal my scenario idea so I wont publish the trigger until my scenario is official submitted :P. So generally it is for you not possible expect you write yourself such a powerfull effect
You said you've tried it out, do you still have the file?
No I do daily so many tests that it is overwritten
And how would the other possibility work (animal is killed by any player)?
I meant if the animal is dead for this animal you neednt to count resources of the sheep

My trigger Pack
Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 05-02-09 05:35 PM EDT (US)     1240 / 1605       
No, I understand that you want to be the first to use your idea.

Also, I know of a workaround for my problem, letting the sheep fatten would be the better solution, but the other solution works too.

Mapppp
Skirmisher
(id: Jimmy2)
posted 05-03-09 03:28 PM EDT (US)     1241 / 1605       
Hey, just a quick question: Is it possible to change the age of buildings (IE get Fortress-Age houses while placing in editor instead of normal cottages) in-editor? I used the SetTechStatus trigger to get a change in age while Playtesting, but when I return to the editor the buildings just revert to Discovery status.

◓◓◓◓◓
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-03-09 03:42 PM EDT (US)     1242 / 1605       
NO, your triggers only work while playtest. Not if you return to editor.

My trigger Pack
Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 05-03-09 03:44 PM EDT (US)     1243 / 1605       
Not as far as I know... but I'm not sure.

However there is a very limited number of buildings in the editor that don't change their appeareance (age and culture art) and are set to a specific age already. They are SPC objects, eg. some Aztec buildings (houses, markets) are used in the TAD campaigns (SPC YP).

Also you can find a comparison of the houses (different ages and cultures) in the wiki: http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/House_Guide

[This message has been edited by Darthcast (edited 05-03-2009 @ 03:46 PM).]

Mapppp
Skirmisher
(id: Jimmy2)
posted 05-03-09 04:11 PM EDT (US)     1244 / 1605       
Alright, thanks for the help guys.

◓◓◓◓◓
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-11-09 01:16 PM EDT (US)     1245 / 1605       
vote: do you guys need a trigger request thread?

I am willing to help for many triggers

My trigger Pack
Sir_Hans
Scenario Expert
posted 05-11-09 02:27 PM EDT (US)     1246 / 1605       
We have one... created by Random22 but it's very old and it hasn't been sticked...
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-11-09 05:12 PM EDT (US)     1247 / 1605       
thats the reason i want start a new one :O... Thought nobody remember in the old one

My trigger Pack

[This message has been edited by Mister SCP (edited 05-12-2009 @ 08:21 AM).]

Hoplite_Fighter1
Skirmisher
posted 05-13-09 08:56 PM EDT (US)     1248 / 1605       
heyy, quick question, how do i make units ungarrison from a ship when it gets to a certain distance? i have distance to point and all that, but i dont know what effect to add.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-13-09 10:57 PM EDT (US)     1249 / 1605       
if the ship is moving away then use units in area and the NOT connector, and then Move to Point, move the ship to a spot close to the shore, and then Ungarrison. For the area pick a spot where the player won't have any stragglers.

If the ship is moving towards, use Units in area and then the above effects.

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-17-09 12:51 PM EDT (US)     1250 / 1605       
Hey, when I'm uploading scenarios to the downloads section, I notice some people have screenshots or a blurb pic in their download page. I have uploaded some stuff in the past but I never figured out how to get a screenie put up as a screenshot in the downloads blurb box. How do I get this done? DO I need to ask a mod separately to do it for me, or is there a prompt I am missing? I've uploaded several scenarios but NEVER seen a prompt to attach or include a screenie. Thanks in advance!

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 48 49 50 51 52 ··· 60 ··· 65  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames