You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1605 replies, Sticky
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Scenario Design Library - FAQ Database, Ask Questions Here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Scenario Design Library - FAQ Database, Ask Questions Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 61 62 63 64 65  Next Page »
papaya
ಠ_ಠ
(id: X_MOSS)
posted 10-25-05 10:25 PM EDT (US)         

The Scenario Design Library

THE AOE3H SCENARIO DESIGN WIKI
Design Dictionary | Editor Functions | Mapwork | Triggers | Design Teams
Frequently Asked Questions for AOE3 Scenario Editor | How to Set the AI to Work in a Scenario

What is this thread for?

If you ever have a question or a problem related to scenario designing, this is the place to come! This thread contains all the links, questions and answers, articles and guides you'll ever need to design scenarios for Age of Empires III. Be it a question on mapping, scripting, triggers, units, AI, and anything related to the scenario designing world, ask it here!

How to use this thread

Following this procedure is the best way to get your question answered as quickly and effectively as possible:
  1. Go to the scenario design Wiki and search for your problem by browsing through the article lists or by using the search box, e.g. when searching for information on the modify protounit trigger, selecting the "Go" button will try to find a page entitled "protounit", and selecting "Search" will bring up a list of articles that have relevance to "protounit".

2. Your next port of call should be the library articles listed below. These are guides written by our expert forummers to explain aspects of the technique of scenario design.
  3. If the Wiki and the articles do not have the answer, then try searching through this forum. For example, if you are having trouble with the "Modify Protounit" trigger, and the Wiki hasn't helped, then by searching for "protounit" in the "Subject:" box, a list of all thread titles containing "protounit" will be listed. You'll most likely find that the answer to your question is in one of those.

4. If you still can't find the answer to your question, then post your question in here, or if the question is quite large, create your own thread for it.

Some tips when asking questions:
  • Be patient. It might take some time for a designer with the necessary skills and experience to notice your question and answer it.
  • Try to be as detailed as you can when your explain your question or problem. List any steps you have already tried, or make it clear and specific with what you are trying to achieve. This helps people to answer your question and saves a lot of time. Also, vague questions are more likely to be ignored.
  • No-one is forced to answer your question; the forummers who take the time to answer questions do so voluntarily and are under no obligation to answer your question.
  • As in all areas of forumming, try to make sure you use correct spelling and grammar when asking or answering questions. By doing so you make your text more readable and less open to ambiguity. Of course, if English isn't your first language then that is an exception, but always take the time and effort to make your post legible.

Some tips when answering questions:
  • Try to be as specific as possible. Often people who ask questions don't know what a lot of features are. If in order to solve one of their problems, they need to download something, then tell them. Not everybody has downloaded extended editors.
  • Often linking to relevant pages in the wiki will help stress your ideas even more. When talking about a certain condition or effect, link to the corresponding trigger page at the wiki. This can easily be done without even going to the wiki. Simply put "wiki.heavengames.com/age/" then the trigger name (with "_" instead of spaces). Example, for fire event: wiki.heavengames.com/age/fire_event.
  • Don't criticize people, and call them n00bs just because they asked simple questions. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? When you make fun of people for asking a silly question, they might be scared not to ask them anymore, and we wouldn't want that. The point of this thread is for every question to get answered, for the community's sake. Who knows, maybe someday they will realise a fantastic scenario.

Wiki Information and Article Database

The AoE3H Scenario Design Wiki

We are please to announce the first HG-run community wiki. To build a comprehensive encyclopedia of Scenario Design has been an unrealized dream for past games. Starting today, we are going to attempt it for AoE3. With your help, we intend build a complete reference for the art of Scenario Design. Here is the link:

http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/

Here are just a few of the features:
  • YOU can add new articles, or edit current ones!
  • A Question Center, where new designers can learn from experienced ones
  • A Frequently Asked Questions section with a page for each common question.
  • Complete guides to all the basics of scenario design
  • A page on every condition and on every effect
  • The “Design Dictionary”, containing common design-related words
  • Much, much more.

What is a wiki? What’s so great about it?
A wiki is a lot like this forum. People can post on it, format their posts with colors and links, and they can start discussions with each other. A wiki, however, has one critical advantage: Anyone can edit a page on a wiki. Think of the Scenario Design Library for AoK. Only one or two people can edit it to keep its contents up to date! Talk about a lost cause. Then think of a thread giving helpful information to designers. The thread’s poster can edit it, and other people can contribute to it in an unorganized fashion. Now think of a wiki. Anyone in the world can edit it. They don’t even need to have an account, and they can keep information together in a clear and organized fashion, that is easily searched, and easily referenced to other pages.

Skeptical? Many people are. Don’t take my word for it though: there’s a great example of a wiki in action at www.wikipedia.org. Wikipedia is the world’s largest encyclopedia, and it is growing at a phenomenal rate every day.

What sort of information will be on the wiki?
The wiki will be dedicated to information about Age of Empires 3 Scenario Design. This ranges from a section for asking questions, to a section defining design-related words, to a section explaining each condition and effect in the Age of Empires 3 Editor. In short, the wiki will have everything you ever wanted to know about AoE3 design in one place. Have you ever been designing for another game, and couldn’t remember some minor fact? That will never happen to you again once the wiki project is up and running.

Won’t the wiki overlap with the forums?
We’re going to do everything possible to prevent this. Things related to the scenario design community can still be discussed on the forums, as can things relating to AoE3 design. Think of the forums as the place where you work out the “rough drafts” of what will later become articles.

How can I help?
Let’s face it: the wiki project isn’t going to succeed without a concentrated effort from the community. Don’t just assume that the next guy will help out, because he’s saying that about you! In the end, we feel that the reward will be worth it: a better scenario design experience for everyone.

Have you ever wanted to work for HG? This is your big chance!

Right now, HG is looking for committed individuals, who are willing to dedicate their time to making the community better for everyone. These “Administrators”, while not HG staff, will be in charge of one or more of the sections on the wiki (view sections here). So if you think you’ve got what it takes, apply now! Either post a reply in this thread or email spitfire.23@gmail.com with your application. You should include with your application:
  • your email
  • IM contact info (if possible)
  • Whether or not you’ve edited a wiki before

Additionally, include a brief description of why you feel you’re suited to work on the wiki, possibly providing examples of things you’ve done in the past to help the design community. If your application is approved by myself and the AoE3H seraphs (NAT and Elpea), we'll let you know. If you have an account on the wiki, we'll give you sysop status. Read about that here.

I have a suggestion for the wiki
By all means, post your suggestions in this thread. This is a brand new approach for everyone, so we're willing to adapt. We're especially interested in how easy you found it to learn how to edit - making this as easy as possible is our goal. Editing a wiki is at about the same level of difficulty as formatting a post you make on the forums, but the conventions may be difficult to adapt to. When the wiki really gets up and running, we'll be relying on people being able to learn the software easily.

Conclusion
Today, the first step into a larger world has been taken. A long journey lies ahead of us, and nobody can see where the road leads. Ultimately, the success or failure of this project depends on you - the scenario designer.

TS University

A fantastic resource for AoE3 related design articles.

The TS University (TSU) is a unique online university dedicated to scenario design, and a comprehensive library of articles, tutorials, and resources for scenario designers.

Our interactive e-zine and forum will further serve the scenario design community through focused discussions, featured articles, and the latest news and information.

The goal of TSU is to assemble the greatest body of scenario design knowledge and discovery information into our library's vast article database.

The database to provide both new and experienced designers with quality articles and tutorials on all scenario design subjects, and also provide an excellent platform for authors and scholars to share their design knowledge with greater focus and scope.

We invite the most knowledgeable in scenario design, regardless of their team affiliations, or independent goals to join us as authors, editors, interns, and scholars for our articles. We encourage everybody who wants to share their knowledge to send articles to us. We promise to present articles in a professional manner that will highlight the creative source, so the greater community can benefit from your accomplishments in scenario design.

(Quoted from TSU website)

Forum Article Database

Thanks to Papaya, Spitfire and FD2 for information from their previous versions.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 12-31-2007 @ 01:35 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
EmperorCharles
Skirmisher
posted 07-17-12 07:39 PM EDT (US)     1551 / 1605       
How do you create triggers?
And how do you correctly use AI and what does each one do? I'm fairly new to Scenario Editor and I use a mac, in case it is different than pc.
anterior2
Scenario Design Expert
posted 07-18-12 07:19 AM EDT (US)     1552 / 1605       
Just ask Mr SCP or M925 to make one for you; there is a trigger request thread.

IMHO making triggers is a long process, and involves staring at a lot of xml files.

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 07-18-12 01:26 PM EDT (US)     1553 / 1605       
ai: well this should explain it http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/FAQ

(My computer players dont move)

and you should load ailoaderstandart.xs

for triggers: http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/Dr_Nicks_Advanced_trigger_guide

(aomed is not needed sinc you work with xml)

ESO2 Name:Sir_ConstantinESO Name:Sir_Pacman
Trigger Freak and Modder for AOE3

SCP Editor Tools---my map pack---Some incomplete stuff
My trigger Pack
HL14birdsfly
Skirmisher
posted 09-20-12 07:54 PM EDT (US)     1554 / 1605       
How do you make birds fly in the editor, they just stay on the ground or stay in the air but dont fly away? help would be appreciated
musketeer925
Skirmisher
posted 09-20-12 08:22 PM EDT (US)     1555 / 1605       
Go to Scenario -> Map Types and check one, and the type of birds that fly on that map will fly about occasionally.
HL14birdsfly
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-12 10:10 AM EDT (US)     1556 / 1605       
Thanks for the answer, got it how you checked the maps and the types of birds appeared and also wanted to know how to set Homecity and AI in the editor in player data? help would be appreciated
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 09-22-12 12:20 PM EDT (US)     1557 / 1605       
First, Place the "AI Start" Object near the AI's TC (make sure it is for player number #n that goes with the AI number (data menu).

Then go to the players information screen ("data menu"), and set the AI to "aiLoaderStandard.xs".
Make sure to click on "load" and not double click
"aiLoaderStandard.xs" (because double click doesn't work).

This should make it work.
for civs: copy a civ from %HOMEPATH%\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Savegame

to program files\aoe3\campaign

and select it then with the player date "Set HC" button

My trigger Pack
HL14birdsfly
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-12 01:03 PM EDT (US)     1558 / 1605       
How do I insert AI for the computer player in the scenario and how do I set the homecity for me and the other players in the scenario. example I have level 40 homecity japanese named edo and a chinese named nanjing level 32 how do i set these cities for the players in the scenario? thanks help would be appreciated.
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 04-05-13 04:40 PM EDT (US)     1559 / 1605       
Fake Cinematic Mode has been released

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3456

My trigger Pack
G_Hammer
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-13 03:39 AM EDT (US)     1560 / 1605       
I also got a question:
how can you let a cannon switch to firing mode? Every time I place a gaia cannon on the map, it is in transportation mode (with the horses in front).
The "set stance" effect doesnt change anything here. Probably I could solve the problem by putting an enemy unit in front of the cannon and create a trigger that makes the cannon attack it, but that's not the optimal solution.
Does anybody have an idea?
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-31-13 02:38 PM EDT (US)     1561 / 1605       
have you tried out the Stance triggers from m925 triggerset?

My trigger Pack
G_Hammer
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-13 05:13 AM EDT (US)     1562 / 1605       
ok nvm, I realised that "army set stance" effect I used was useless (don't remember where I got it from).

Thx for the tip on M925's triggers, I found a trigger called "Unit Set Tacitc: Artillery" by him that works fine, you just have to push a button if you want to let the cannon switch to bombarding mode.

Edit: Aww ****, I just realised that this trigger doesnt work for player 0.... :S

Edit 2: Ok I found a solution now. I put a cannon for player 1 in the map, use the "set tactic" effect and let it switch to bombarding mode. Shortly after that I use a "convert" effect and let the cannon convert to player 0.
Then I finally have a gaia cannon in bombarding mode. Not a perfect solution but it's ok.
scenario making can be complicated sometimes -.-

[This message has been edited by G_Hammer (edited 06-01-2013 @ 08:50 AM).]

Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 06-01-13 12:08 PM EDT (US)     1563 / 1605       
I always prefered strelets in the front of the canon + heal block placed where the canon is. A trigger would kill then the heal block after 10 secs

My trigger Pack
ilanoh
Skirmisher
posted 06-08-13 01:10 PM EDT (US)     1564 / 1605       
Hey guys,

I'm doing a great scenario since we can play them on GR!!

I have a few trouble.

First I would like that the teams and nations stays the same as I did on the scenario when I'm playing the game on GR.

It's a 4 player, 1 ottomans vs 3 pirates. But when we play online it is not necessarily a 3v1, the computer make it 2v2 actually... If in the selection tool we choose to team up 3v1 the 1 is not necessarily at the good hometown. Also we need to choose the nations... But pirates is not an option in the selection tool before the beginning of the game.

Also I would like to make a few trigger.
The first one would be that pirates can only destroy military buildings and units of ottoman. But no way to determine how to do it while browsing the trigger conditions and effects.

I also would like to do a trigger that says pirates cannot make first blood, so basically they can attack ottoman only after ottoman has attacked first.

Thank you a lot!

PS since I'm new here and I don't know which thread is active, I'll post my message on other pages later on if no response.
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 06-08-13 10:47 PM EDT (US)     1565 / 1605       
well as you ve found out you are unable to play against the pirates in Multiplayer

The most usefull effects to set up diplomacy are "Diploomacy" and the custom one "Diplomacy both ways".

Hm your first blood trigger sound impossible so I'll answer the other one
The first one would be that pirates can only destroy military buildings and units of ottoman. But no way to determine how to do it while browsing the trigger conditions and effects.
well you could either use "Unit Make Invulnerable" to make it unattackable, use Modify Protounit ->HP to increase the Hitpoints or give these units to a neutal/allied player

My trigger Pack
ilanoh
Skirmisher
posted 06-09-13 10:09 PM EDT (US)     1566 / 1605       
Thanks dude!

And what about the fact that the team set up is not respected online? 3v1 - > 2v2

Also I created a little neutral village as player 5 played by a computer. So in the player data I choose computer I load an AI and I put an AI start next to the explorer. But it still doesn't work. Also I put a few trigger to make them neutral but they act like enemies with everyone...
G_Hammer
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-13 08:36 AM EDT (US)     1567 / 1605       
@ilanoh: Just use the effect "diplomacy" and create the teams that you want, then you start the game online in ffa mode.

I also got a question: Does anybody know if there is a "flare minimap at unit"-trigger? Or how can i make a flare at a certain unit?
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 07-22-13 03:25 PM EDT (US)     1568 / 1605       
is it a allready placed unit? OR a unittype? Or will it be placed later?

My trigger Pack
G_Hammer
Skirmisher
posted 08-03-13 10:38 AM EDT (US)     1569 / 1605       
a unit that is already placed, but that can move on the map. so the flare should appear wherever the unit is standing at the moment.
do you know how to make that?
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-03-13 12:12 PM EDT (US)     1570 / 1605       
copy this effect into "trigger3\typetest.xml". Then you ll be able to use the effect "Flare Minimap at Unit"
    <Effect name="Flare Minimap at Unit">
<Param name="PlayerID" dispName="$$22301$$Player" varType="string">1</Param>
<Param name="Duration" dispName="$$20510$$Duration" varType="float">1.0</Param>
<Param name="SrcObject" dispName="$$22295$$Source Units" VarType="unit">default</Param>
<Param name="Flash" dispName="$$22492$$Flash" varType="bool">true</Param>
<Command>trMinimapFlare(%PlayerID%, %Duration%,kbGetBlockPosition("%SrcObject%"), %Flash%);</Command>
</Effect>

My trigger Pack
G_Hammer
Skirmisher
posted 08-07-13 10:01 AM EDT (US)     1571 / 1605       
ok thx, but how do I copy it into the typetest file correctly? if i open typetest with the editor and copy the new effect into it, the triggers dont get shown anymore in the scenario editor.
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-09-13 12:37 PM EDT (US)     1572 / 1605       
search for line at the end of the file and paste it before this line

My trigger Pack
G_Hammer
Skirmisher
posted 08-14-13 08:42 AM EDT (US)     1573 / 1605       
ok thx, i got it now.

btw, is there a way to let that "choice dialog" effect work in online games? Because when the message appears and the players select different options, it goes out of sync quickly.
is there any way how you can let the message appear only for the host? or how else could I let the host choose between two options?
Mister SCP
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-14-13 01:50 PM EDT (US)     1574 / 1605       
Well sure I could try to code one, but not til weekend.

My thought on avoiding OOS is to use special commands which work user only. There is a command to select and one to delete a unit. And with this you might be able to pass the OOS. But not 100% sure due i think the Choice Dialog pauses the game

Idea 2: make it hotkey based (this wont pause the game). It shouldnt cause OOS at all

My trigger Pack

[This message has been edited by Mister SCP (edited 08-14-2013 @ 01:52 PM).]

G_Hammer
Skirmisher
posted 08-15-13 07:27 AM EDT (US)     1575 / 1605       
ok, how can you handle it with hotkeys? which triggers do i need?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 61 62 63 64 65  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames