You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.281 replies, Sticky
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » The list of Modding No-nos
Bottom
Topic Subject:The list of Modding No-nos
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12  Next Page »
Lord Tahattus
Supreme Emperor
posted 06-03-07 02:15 AM EDT (US)         

Don't cry, wise Cuauhtemoc!

This list will show you everything you can't do when modding.

But what is a No-no?

It's an unquestionable truth, a modding dogma. If it's written here, that's because it's impossible to be made. Don't ask why, it won't work.

But why doesn't it work?

They don't work because they're hardcoded stuff. Codes that only work with certain units, for example. That's why you can't let villager walk around your new mills and plantations without replacing the older ones.

So, what are the current No-nos?

*Latest Update: With the help of the Unhardcode Patch (UHC) and UHC Plugin (UPL) this list is not anymore up to date. Use this one instead http://aoe3wol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1652

• You cannot make new animations.
  • While you can import models from other games, you cannot add new animations to those models (except you have .gr2 animations)
  • You cannot make models fatten like sheep. The three stages of a sheep are actually three different models.
  • You cannot make a new mill/farm/plantation with proper animations. Villagers won't walk around it (only applies to TWC and TAD)
  • You can make an unit mount/dismount a horse, but it'll happen instantly since there are no animations for this.
  • You cannot make new firepit dances without replacing older ones.
  • You cannot make a new nation use the native 5-politician system nor the asian wonder system.
  • You cannot make Asian nations age up with the European politician system.
  • You cannot add situation songs - like the revolution one.
  • You cannot have more than 14 AIs in the game.
  • You cannot make natives nor Asians revolt.
  • You cannot add civ-specific music.
  • You cannot make new explorer-type units get a user-defined name.
  • You cannot modify Shaolin Monk's ability to create something that's not a disciple.
  • You cannot make units convert other units without modifying the warchief conversion ability.
  • You cannot make units attack while moving.
  • You cannot change lighting during gameplay using a tech or power.
  • Town Center is the only building that researches politicians.
  • AoE3 only plays .wavs with very specific characteristics. Look for them before creating a .wav file.
  • Consulate is the only building where you can starts relations with another civ.
  • You cannot create a tech to be researched many times (fixed in TAD).
  • You cannot change a civ's flag without revolution.
    What's "Initialization failed" ?
    Oh-oh, seems like you didn't change something properly, and now the game refuses to load. Delete the modded file and put your backup back. You made a backup, right? In my signature there's a link that will explain what you did wrong.

Change Log

Dec 2014

Removed:
  • You cannot attach anything to a model if it doesn't have attachpoints.
  • You cannot type non-american symbols in the randomnames.xml file, however you can use unicode description like &#..; which refers to unicode table.
  • You cannot make new revolutionaries without replacing older ones.
  • You cannot make a new market work properly.
  • You cannot make a new building wich toggles between abilities (factory, dojo, rice paddy to name some) work properly.
  • You cannot use Home City units in the game. They have different animations.
  • You cannot make an unit transform into a different unit. You may pretend a transformation by using stances.
  • Macehualtin animations only work with Macehualtin model.
  • It's not possible to replace Town Centers with the "TransformUnit" effect.
  • You cannot make a new building toggle on the export trickle like the consulate.

Feb 2011

Removed:
  • Photoshop doesn't read AoE3-compatible 3D models.
  • You cannot make a new factory work properly.
  • You cannot make russian 0-pop settlers. You must remove the 3-settler ability at the Town Center first.
  • You cannot add transparent/player-colored parts in a skin. This is controlled by the model, which is uneditable.
  • You cannot add huge numbers in proto/stringtable/techtree.
  • You cannot give a new civ a native/asian UI.
  • If you found a lost model without a texture call, too bad, you cannot skin it.
  • You cannot change the battle crowd sound.
  • You cannot change the position of the now-loading coin.
  • You cannot scale models.
  • Town Center is the only building with "levy" and "conscription" abilities.
  • Windows mods don't work on Mac, and vice-versa.
  • You cannot create anything. You'll reorganize what's already in the game. (unless you have the customized granny engine ES used).
  • You cannot make new 3D models. (unless you have the customized granny engine ES used).
  • You cannot create anything. You'll reorganize what's already in the game. (don't forget that) (unless you have the customized granny engine ES used).

Updated:
  • "You cannot make a new nation use the native 5-politician system." to "You cannot make a new nation use the native 5-politician system nor the asian wonder system."
  • "You cannot make natives revolt." to "You cannot make natives nor Asians revolt."
  • "You cannot import models from other games. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D." to "You cannot import models from other games. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D, don't even think about AoE1."
  • You cannot type non-american symbols in the randomnamesy.xml file. to "You cannot type non-american symbols in the randomnames.xml file, however you can use unicode description like &#..; which refers to unicode table."
  • You cannot import models from other games. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D, don't even think about AoE1. to While you can import models from other games, you cannot add new animations to those models. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D, don't even think about AoE1."

Added:
  • You cannot make asian nations age up with the european politician system.
  • You cannot make a new building wich toggles between abilities (factory, dojo, rice paddy to name some) work properly.
  • Consulate is the only building where you can starts relations with another civ.
  • You cannot make a new building toggle on the export trickle like the consulate.
  • You cannot modify Shaolin Monk's ability to create something that's not a disciple.
  • You cannot change a civ's flag without revolution.

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
    WOTTA WEBSITE!
    War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Mister SCP (edited 09-30-2018 @ 02:32 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    peugeot407
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-01-11 12:44 PM EDT (US)     226 / 281       
    Or you could bring the number of entries in randomnames.xml back to a first name and a surname.
    Congratulations. But: did you spent 12,500 US$ for the license? Or more likely a pirated copy?
    Anyway, the granny system is an interface and development environment between C++ compiler and gfx/animation system like 3DSmax.
    Alone good will isn't enough. Extended programming skills as well as the knowledge about customized granny engine is required.
    Thing is, several people did get custom made gr2 files to work in the game. No animations yet, that's true, but when it comes to models only, apparently the SDK kit isn't needed, and simple plugins will do the trick.

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
    |> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
    |> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
    |> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)
    Lord Tahattus
    Supreme Emperor
    posted 03-02-11 09:29 PM EDT (US)     227 / 281       
    i don't understand what you're talking about the explorer name. There's no discussion about. You CANNOT choose the name of another unit that replaces explorer, that's what it means. For example, my brazilians have bandeirantes instead of explorers. I CANNOT name them the way I want because that's IMPOSSIBLE, only possible with the explorer protounit or similars already coded in game.

This no-no has absolutely NO relation with randomnames.xml.

WOTTA WEBSITE!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
    peugeot407
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-03-11 03:20 AM EDT (US)     228 / 281       
    Aha, that's very true indeed. I totally misunderstood that one. Now making this post useful: To prevent further misunderstanding, I'd change the text to "You cannot make new explorer-type units get a user-defined name."

In my opinion, that's far clearer.

peugeot407

|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
    |> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)

Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    (id: fred_ernie)
    posted 03-13-11 07:38 PM EDT (US)     229 / 281       
    Noted, will find some time to update this week.

This month I have mostly been playing Dishonored Death of the Outsider and Darkest Dungeon
    Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
    Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
    [This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
    BilboBeutlin
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-21-11 01:56 PM EDT (US)     230 / 281       
    I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.
    - copy the explorer proto eg. as 'NewExplorer'. Adapt attributes, maybe tactics and anim file.
    - copy in abilities.xml the explorer entry as 'NewExplorer'
    - add in randomnames(x|y).xml a new entry:
    <protounit>NewExplorer
    <civ>Default
    <firstname>...</firstname>
    <lastname>...</lastname>
    </civ>
    </protounit>

- if you want it used for a specific civ, replace in civs.xml the default <startingunit>Explorer with NewExplorer
    - PS of course it has to be enabled in techtree

[This message has been edited by BilboBeutlin (edited 03-21-2011 @ 02:52 PM).]

Lord Tahattus
    Supreme Emperor
    posted 03-21-11 04:11 PM EDT (US)     231 / 281       
    You're getting confused. We're talking about civ creation screen, where you choose the name of your city and explorer. You cannot choose a name there for units that are NOT explorers.

You're talking about randomnames, which are something else.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    BilboBeutlin
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-22-11 08:18 AM EDT (US)     232 / 281       
    ahh .. now I got it finally, what you mean
    Perhaps you should have mentioned the 'create HC dialog' earlier. *g*

The name input writes to custom HC file ... and this works like the tech effect
    <Effect type ='SetName' proto ='..' culture ='..' newName ='..'></Effect>
    and so it works only for certain protos. The civ specific explorers/heroes are obviously assigned in exe code - I didn't ever see any xml datas about.

But if you created a new explorer type (like described above), he will always get the name from randomnames(x|y).xml
    That's what I understood at first as "user-defined".
    Lord Tahattus
    Supreme Emperor
    posted 03-23-11 02:42 PM EDT (US)     233 / 281       
    "user" is the player, and considering a player cannot mod, he cannot choose the name of the explorer, right?

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    Lord Tahattus
    Supreme Emperor
    posted 06-08-11 07:16 PM EDT (US)     234 / 281       
    May someone explain me this?

"You cannot change the battle crowd sound."

How do you change the battle crowd? And by changing I don't mean replace the sound by overlapping it with something else. What makes an unit cheer like an european, or like a native?

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    arcalion
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-16-11 01:22 AM EDT (US)     235 / 281       
    can you updated the no-nos that said "you cannot import or made a new model that work in AOEIII" and if i get lucky you would change too the one that said "you cannot add new animations"

|THE MAIN CODDER AND ARTIST OF TFN
    |check own progress here: http://thefightofnations.heavenforum.com/forum.htm
    Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    posted 06-16-11 02:28 PM EDT (US)     236 / 281       
    Will do if there are no objections before I get round to it this weekend.

This month I have mostly been playing Dishonored Death of the Outsider and Darkest Dungeon

[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
    Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    posted 06-22-11 02:50 PM EDT (US)     237 / 281       
    Done, advice on whether this is still true:

You cannot import models from other games. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D, don't even think about AoE1.

Well the first bit mainly, the second bit is obviously still true.

peugeot407
    Skirmisher
    posted 06-23-11 04:59 AM EDT (US)     238 / 281       
    Well, adding new models from other games is indeed possible, but new animations are still impossible.

peugeot407

Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    posted 07-01-11 03:11 PM EDT (US)     239 / 281       
    Thanks, updated to:

While you can import models from other games, you cannot add new animations to those models. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D, don't even think about AoE1.

Shout if you disagree.

Lord Tahattus
    Supreme Emperor
    posted 07-01-11 07:11 PM EDT (US)     240 / 281       
    I do not agree with the removal of these:
    You cannot add transparent/player-colored parts in a skin. This is controlled by the model, which is uneditable.
    You cannot define a polygon to recognize alpha channel as transparency or player color, at least not yet and that's what this sentence means. It's still valid, but needs to be rephrased.
    You cannot give a new civ a native/asian UI.
    You cannot make a new civ get firepit appearing on their UI, or export. You can, however, edit the UI for all civs. UI is linked to the cultures, which is hardcoded.
    You cannot change the battle crowd sound.
    I believe this is linked to the civs (hardcoded) as I've found no way of replacing them with codes.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    posted 07-01-11 07:26 PM EDT (US)     241 / 281       
    Feel free to reinstate them yourself, if not I'll do it if no one wants to object over the next few days.

AgeofEmpires400
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-02-11 01:59 PM EDT (US)     242 / 281       
    The list says you can't use HC models but using this mod (http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1183) you can, they just aren't animated.
    peugeot407
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-02-11 02:10 PM EDT (US)     243 / 281       
    Don't you think that's what Tahattus meant??? Units without anims are pointless.

peugeot407

prashants
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-09-11 08:11 AM EDT (US)     244 / 281       
    Hi, I was wondering if the following was possible in aoe3(normal+both expansions too):

-> A mod which could allow more French and German units and mercs to be trained and shipped from the Home City in John Black's civ. Actually i need this:-

-Possibility to train more French units like Coureurs, Cuirassiers, and even Hussars and Dragoons, making it 3 types of hand cavalry and 2 ranged cavalry, and also their required shipments

-Possibility of more German units like Doppelsoldner,Settler Wagon and their respective shipments.....also if possible to train cassadors(would be nice to kick some bone-guard butt with this guy)

-Possibility of having more merc shipments(like the British have the unique Hire Hessian Jaeger Division shipment at level 25, The Germans have a Hessian Jaeger shipment at level 40 which can be sent infinite times)

-Possibility to advance to the Imperial Age with this civ(originally this civ is limited to Industrial Age, no cool at ALL...)

-Possibility of having Royal Guard in this civ(Czapka instead of Guard Uhlan and Voltigeur instead of Guard Skirmisher etc.etc.)

-Possibility of having Factory and Fort shipments and more tech related shipments both economic and military wise...

Plz tell if this is possible...I have more suggestions in mind...

[This message has been edited by prashants (edited 10-09-2011 @ 08:14 AM).]

musketeer925
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-09-11 12:42 PM EDT (US)     245 / 281       
    prashants
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-10-11 07:23 AM EDT (US)     246 / 281       
    Can someone tell me the correct place on this forum where to give mod suggestions like i've given a suggestion just above.... which topic in the forum should i discuss it?????????????????
    BilboBeutlin
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-10-11 09:45 AM EDT (US)     247 / 281       
    hhmm .. are you new in town?
    If you don't find an existing topic, where your theme fits .. click here
    XLightningStormL
    Skirmisher
    (id: TheBronyKing11)
    posted 12-30-11 07:08 PM EDT (US)     248 / 281       
    Tattus, i Think the Noob was trolling you and It IS possible to create completly new units (only you have to add sounds, textures etc) MandosRex Was Secseesful at his Improvement Mod
    Mister SCP
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 01-06-12 03:58 AM EDT (US)     249 / 281       
    I'm a bit sorry because I break another modding no-no
    You cannot make a new building wich toggles between abilities (factory, dojo, rice paddy to name some) work properly.
    The mill with working factory ability
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/screen136w.jpg/

and

the code (the most interesting part of it

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/showtactics.png

There is still another modding no-no which i think might be can broken with another flag (no new market). However I am not interested in testing this

Flag name:
    MarketAbility

ESO2 Name:Sir_ConstantinESO Name:Sir_Pacman
    Trigger Freak and Modder for AOE3

SCP Editor Tools---my map pack---Some incomplete stuff
    My trigger Pack

[This message has been edited by Mister SCP (edited 01-06-2012 @ 04:14 AM).]

Hoop Thrower
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-07-12 05:42 PM EDT (US)     250 / 281       
    Now try passing that mod to another computer...

The truth is that this list is largely outdated, there's lots of stuff already debunked here, I guess someone could update it, but the truth is that, no one has taken the efforth.

Team member of wotta, the latin american mod with many new features for the game!

HoopThrower in ESO
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames