You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.281 replies, Sticky
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » The list of Modding No-nos
Bottom
Topic Subject:The list of Modding No-nos
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12  Next Page »
Lord Tahattus
Supreme Emperor
posted 06-03-07 02:15 AM EDT (US)         

Don't cry, wise Cuauhtemoc!

This list will show you everything you can't do when modding.

But what is a No-no?

It's an unquestionable truth, a modding dogma. If it's written here, that's because it's impossible to be made. Don't ask why, it won't work.

But why doesn't it work?

They don't work because they're hardcoded stuff. Codes that only work with certain units, for example. That's why you can't let villager walk around your new mills and plantations without replacing the older ones.

So, what are the current No-nos?

*Latest Update: With the help of the Unhardcode Patch (UHC) and UHC Plugin (UPL) this list is not anymore up to date. Use this one instead http://aoe3wol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1652

• You cannot make new animations.
  • While you can import models from other games, you cannot add new animations to those models (except you have .gr2 animations)
  • You cannot make models fatten like sheep. The three stages of a sheep are actually three different models.
  • You cannot make a new mill/farm/plantation with proper animations. Villagers won't walk around it (only applies to TWC and TAD)
  • You can make an unit mount/dismount a horse, but it'll happen instantly since there are no animations for this.
  • You cannot make new firepit dances without replacing older ones.
  • You cannot make a new nation use the native 5-politician system nor the asian wonder system.
  • You cannot make Asian nations age up with the European politician system.
  • You cannot add situation songs - like the revolution one.
  • You cannot have more than 14 AIs in the game.
  • You cannot make natives nor Asians revolt.
  • You cannot add civ-specific music.
  • You cannot make new explorer-type units get a user-defined name.
  • You cannot modify Shaolin Monk's ability to create something that's not a disciple.
  • You cannot make units convert other units without modifying the warchief conversion ability.
  • You cannot make units attack while moving.
  • You cannot change lighting during gameplay using a tech or power.
  • Town Center is the only building that researches politicians.
  • AoE3 only plays .wavs with very specific characteristics. Look for them before creating a .wav file.
  • Consulate is the only building where you can starts relations with another civ.
  • You cannot create a tech to be researched many times (fixed in TAD).
  • You cannot change a civ's flag without revolution.
    What's "Initialization failed" ?
    Oh-oh, seems like you didn't change something properly, and now the game refuses to load. Delete the modded file and put your backup back. You made a backup, right? In my signature there's a link that will explain what you did wrong.

Change Log

Dec 2014

Removed:
  • You cannot attach anything to a model if it doesn't have attachpoints.
  • You cannot type non-american symbols in the randomnames.xml file, however you can use unicode description like &#..; which refers to unicode table.
  • You cannot make new revolutionaries without replacing older ones.
  • You cannot make a new market work properly.
  • You cannot make a new building wich toggles between abilities (factory, dojo, rice paddy to name some) work properly.
  • You cannot use Home City units in the game. They have different animations.
  • You cannot make an unit transform into a different unit. You may pretend a transformation by using stances.
  • Macehualtin animations only work with Macehualtin model.
  • It's not possible to replace Town Centers with the "TransformUnit" effect.
  • You cannot make a new building toggle on the export trickle like the consulate.

Feb 2011

Removed:
  • Photoshop doesn't read AoE3-compatible 3D models.
  • You cannot make a new factory work properly.
  • You cannot make russian 0-pop settlers. You must remove the 3-settler ability at the Town Center first.
  • You cannot add transparent/player-colored parts in a skin. This is controlled by the model, which is uneditable.
  • You cannot add huge numbers in proto/stringtable/techtree.
  • You cannot give a new civ a native/asian UI.
  • If you found a lost model without a texture call, too bad, you cannot skin it.
  • You cannot change the battle crowd sound.
  • You cannot change the position of the now-loading coin.
  • You cannot scale models.
  • Town Center is the only building with "levy" and "conscription" abilities.
  • Windows mods don't work on Mac, and vice-versa.
  • You cannot create anything. You'll reorganize what's already in the game. (unless you have the customized granny engine ES used).
  • You cannot make new 3D models. (unless you have the customized granny engine ES used).
  • You cannot create anything. You'll reorganize what's already in the game. (don't forget that) (unless you have the customized granny engine ES used).

Updated:
  • "You cannot make a new nation use the native 5-politician system." to "You cannot make a new nation use the native 5-politician system nor the asian wonder system."
  • "You cannot make natives revolt." to "You cannot make natives nor Asians revolt."
  • "You cannot import models from other games. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D." to "You cannot import models from other games. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D, don't even think about AoE1."
  • You cannot type non-american symbols in the randomnamesy.xml file. to "You cannot type non-american symbols in the randomnames.xml file, however you can use unicode description like &#..; which refers to unicode table."
  • You cannot import models from other games. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D, don't even think about AoE1. to While you can import models from other games, you cannot add new animations to those models. Obviously, you cannot import anything from AoK since it's 2D, don't even think about AoE1."

Added:
  • You cannot make asian nations age up with the european politician system.
  • You cannot make a new building wich toggles between abilities (factory, dojo, rice paddy to name some) work properly.
  • Consulate is the only building where you can starts relations with another civ.
  • You cannot make a new building toggle on the export trickle like the consulate.
  • You cannot modify Shaolin Monk's ability to create something that's not a disciple.
  • You cannot change a civ's flag without revolution.

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
    WOTTA WEBSITE!
    War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Mister SCP (edited 09-30-2018 @ 02:32 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    AlistairJah
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-18 02:59 PM EDT (US)     276 / 281       
    With workarounds you can make "new" animations, yes. Someone made animations for bikes, tanks and some animals. However it's still not possible to make new ones from scratch.
    For accuracy I will put back the animation no-no in the list.

The truck attack always cuts trees down, even if it's told not to attack Gaia. Some experienced modders from the old days spent some time trying to "fix" this on Discord but apparently nothing worked, so they confirmed it as a modding no-no.
    Mister SCP
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 10-03-18 10:21 AM EDT (US)     277 / 281       
    okay, thx for clarification

ESO2 Name:Sir_ConstantinESO Name:Sir_Pacman
    Trigger Freak and Modder for AOE3

SCP Editor Tools---my map pack---Some incomplete stuff
    My trigger Pack
    AlistairJah
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-03-18 11:13 AM EDT (US)     278 / 281       
    I know it's completely off-topic, but the Team would like to know, if by incredible chance, you still have all of the KnB assets they say that there are some assets in other KnB versions that are not in Prologue, but I don't know what exactly are those.
    Mister SCP
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 10-03-18 01:42 PM EDT (US)     279 / 281       
    I left KnB after Patch 2 appeared for the prologue, no idea how far they went but they used this shitty clouds which gave download errors over and over. The files I have saved, I made available long time ago here:
    http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3884

PS: I had again a look at our RM-Trigger- scripts and it made me think about these old good times [like this mega cool AITestScript which lets you change Players]

My trigger Pack

[This message has been edited by Mister SCP (edited 10-03-2018 @ 01:46 PM).]

AlistairJah
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-04-18 03:01 AM EDT (US)     280 / 281       
    Alright, thank you. I guess now is the time to reverse engineer this awesome mod

Thanks for having updated the main topic.
    Mister SCP
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 10-04-18 12:31 PM EDT (US)     281 / 281       
    happy Engineering

My trigger Pack
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to: