You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.332 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Age Of Empires III: The Ancient Age
Bottom
Topic Subject:Age Of Empires III: The Ancient Age
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 14  Next Page »
Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 02:45 PM EDT (US)         
The Ancient Age is a Total Conversion Mod for Age Of Empires III TAD about the Ancient Times, which will be made by Tilanus Commodor & Ca Putt. Almost everyone of us started just with a minor basic knowledge, but we are developing ourselves. The Ancient Age is not an Age Of Mythology or Age Of Empires I Remake. Nevertheless the Age Of Empires Series is among other RTS-Games a true inspiration for us.

It is our aim to include five new civilisations: The Carthaginians, Celts, Hellenes, Persians and Romans. Besides we are willed to develop an unique gameplay, which will be a good contrast to other mods and the original game. This includes for example a new building & unit system. Since the modification's setting takes place in a completely different age you can expect a lot of new material. More details will be revealed when the time is better.

» Media «

The Romans

Bonus: Cheaper fortifications, 1 Hastatus/Barrack
Archaic Unit: Spearman 'Voluntarius'
Campaign: Legio VI Ferrata
Strengths:
Infantry & Siege equipment and versatility
Good Commanders
Weaknesses:
Medium Cavalry & Fleet
Expensive Archer support

Eques, Age II - Roman Lancer, good against light units, suitable for raids
Princeps, Age III 1st Upgrade of the Hastatus; Heavy Melee Infantry with ranged attack

The Hellenes

Bonus: Free Villagers & Scholars by Age Up
Archaic Unit: Slinger 'Sphendonotes'
Campaign: Macedonians
Strengths:
Balanced Army
Economy & Technology
Weaknesses:
Slow Core Army
Average Military Improvements
Realization of 'The Ancient Age'
To realize a huge project like The Ancient Age an active team is absolutely needed. Even if there is already a new active team, we'd like to extent the amount of workers to speed up the process of production. Therefore we are looking for new ambitious members, who want to learn fast and work practically.

We appreciate every new interested request, even if we have to refuse some people, they tried it and had the good intention to help us.
The more people work for our project, the faster will we finish it, simpliest logic, isn't it? So take your chance and prevent stagnation or a long periods of waiting. We support everyone who »really« wants to help us and is not just taking a look for two weeks. Thanks.

Free Jobs:
Texturers [no limit]
Coders [max.2]
Graphic Artists [no limit]
Concept Artists [no limit]
Co-Balancers [max.2]

Terms of Admission
Will to improve your abilities/will to work alone and with the Team
Appropriate expenditure of time for this project
Communicative availability (do not ignore PMs, MSN messages or emails)
some background knowledge
MSN

»Team«
We do that mod alone.

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 04-27-2009 @ 04:11 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
peugeot407
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 04:38 PM EDT (US)     1 / 332       
This is the real topic about this mod instead of Ancient Mod?

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 04:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 332       
Liked the name "Ancient" since it didn't involve "Age, era, epoch, time, etc." Oh well. I can also work as a balancer. I think I understand game concepts, such as slippery slope mechanics and basic equality, pretty well.
Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 05:01 PM EDT (US)     3 / 332       
Yes. Well, "Ancient Mod" sounded too simple in addition we wanted to change some roles, e.g. I'm managing this thread. So we just "switched" and made some changes.

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
Canadian Eh
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 05:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 332       
I'd like to help, mabye as a coder.

Just so you know I'm still learning the modding stuff so I may not be as proficient as others.
DayoftheNinja
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 05:40 PM EDT (US)     5 / 332       
Some Celtic info and ideas:
Ambiani
The Ambiani were a Belgic people, said to be able to muster 10,000 armed men.
Maybe a card or a tech for the men, could also be included in the age up/saloon idea

Aquitani
The Aquitani were a people of horsemen living in what is now southwestern France.
Could be based off of horse units

Atrebates
In 57 BC they were part of a Belgic military in Gaul, contributing 15,000 men.

Bellovaci
The Bellovaci were among the most powerful and numerous of the Belgic tribes of north-eastern Gaul conquered by Julius Caesar in 57 BC. Bellovaci employed guerrilla warfare, in particular targeting Roman foragers. They set traps and lit fires to stop being followed
The Bellovaci were a very good guerrilla force, who targeted foragers (so could have a vil bonus)
They also had many traps they used, and used fires to divert enemies.

Silures
They made a fierce resistance to the Roman conquest about AD 48. The Silures were not subdued however and waged effective guerilla warfare against the Roman forces. They also took Roman prisoners as hostages and distributed them amongst their neighboring tribes in order to bind them together and encourage resistance.
A very warlike tribe that eventually also reverted to guerrilla tactics.

Could Revolt with Ceaser for Rome or Vercingetorix for the Gallic Coalition

Lead designer for The War of the Triple Alliance Mod
"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r

[This message has been edited by DayoftheNinja (edited 10-03-2007 @ 07:49 PM).]

Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 05:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 332       
Mostly Belgian tribes, it'd be best to sum them up.

» Modding is art! «
Basilis
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 07:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 332       
I'd like to be a balancer, used to be 1880 on aoe3 but like sub1650 on twc . I could take one other job that requires modding knowledge if someone could link me to a good tutorial, I got loads of spare time to give for it ^^

[This message has been edited by Basilis (edited 10-03-2007 @ 07:35 PM).]

alvaro_qc
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 08:15 PM EDT (US)     8 / 332       
I can help as a coder. Will the mod be for Vanilla, TWC or TAD?, Will there be a "forum" or would it be discussed via MSN?
Tungsten_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 10-03-07 10:18 PM EDT (US)     9 / 332       
I kind of wish I could help, but I have no modding experience.
Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-04-07 10:39 AM EDT (US)     10 / 332       
@alvaro - it'll be for TAD, Forum is supported by Napoleonic Era (yeah, it's just visible for selected people ;P *harhar*), but MSN is also an important medium. That thing has tradition. You'll have to add Jacobite_Joe, he's our coder.

@Basilis - ok thanks for that offer, I'll keep you in mind.

» Modding is art! «
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 10-04-07 11:13 AM EDT (US)     11 / 332       
Unfortunately, I'm going to "quit" this mod. I've been busy lately, and taking another thing on wouldn't really help. Good luck.
Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-04-07 01:35 PM EDT (US)     12 / 332       
Ok, post updated.

» Modding is art! «
Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 10-05-07 08:35 AM EDT (US)     13 / 332       
I would be happy to do any additional art (like politicians or unit icons), maybe some skins, and if another historical adviser is needed I'd like to be involved.

In any case though, I look forward to the mod a lot.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-05-07 01:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 332       
Multifunctional Members are always welcome! Add me on msn.
Peachy
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-07 10:43 AM EDT (US)     15 / 332       
why dont you add the spartans because they are cool i took alot of sudden intrest in them after the movie 300 plz take my idea
Ca Putt
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-07 10:57 AM EDT (US)     16 / 332       
Spartans were greek, and there will shurely be some upgrades/units relateing to them.
Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-07 12:28 PM EDT (US)     17 / 332       
Of course, we thought about eventually using the tribal council for the greek poleis like Athen, Sparta, Thebes, Milet, Syracuse ...

» Modding is art! «
Lord Tahattus
Supreme Emperor
posted 10-07-07 01:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 332       
Did you already start modding?

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-07 01:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 332       
Depends on what you mean with "Modding". Coding no, planning yes. The real coding work will begin after TAD Release.

» Modding is art! «
egel
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-07 03:50 PM EDT (US)     20 / 332       
@Day of the Ninja, please don't forget that there was more to the Celts than just the Belgian tribes.

@Tilanus, I'd be happy to help with Balance
and Additional Research etc. I'm afraid I don't have enough time to do textures right now unfortunately. The AoA thread here should provide enough evidence that both myself and Dieneces have "an adequate level of expertise" as far as history and research goes .
Also,
Of course, we thought about eventually using the tribal council for the greek poleis like Athen, Sparta, Thebes, Milet, Syracuse ...
That sounds like an excellent idea. A similar form could be applied to the Celts. Are the Celtiberians going to be included in this under Celts or not?

Ceres 629's strategy guides

Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire.

0 A.D

[This message has been edited by egel (edited 10-07-2007 @ 03:55 PM).]

Tilanus Commodor
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-07 04:27 PM EDT (US)     21 / 332       
Hey egel!

yes, I've already seen that project and we'll also work with that thread. It's very impressive! Of course, I don't doubt your knowledge, I already offered Dieneces to add me, but if you're also interested, do the same. Be aware of what I already said, the real contact with the game will be later, after the research phase, so you'll probably have to wait until the time of your idea of balancing issues comes. Of course we'll need balancers in our discussion, but I'm trying to keep the core as small as possible.

And no, I doubt that'll include the Celtiberians as part of the Celtic civ. I'm sure we'll have a lot of celtic natives (cause of their plenty and differences), where Iberians would certainly play a role too.
egel
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-07 04:38 PM EDT (US)     22 / 332       
yes, I've already seen that project and we'll also work with that thread. It's very impressive! Of course, I don't doubt your knowledge, I already offered Dieneces to add me, but if you're also interested, do the same. Be aware of what I already said, the real contact with the game will be later, after the research phase, so you'll probably have to wait until the time of your idea of balancing issues comes. Of course we'll need balancers in our discussion, but I'm trying to keep the core as small as possible.
Waiting for balance is fine by me and I'll add you presently. While I don't have enough time for texturing right now, I can fit a fair bit of research in so I'm happy to just stick with that till the time for balance comes.
And no, I doubt that'll include the Celtiberians as part of the Celtic civ. I'm sure we'll have a lot of celtic natives (cause of their plenty and differences), where Iberians would certainly play a role too.
That's fine, I was just wondering whether you would attempt to squish them into the mainstream Celtic civ or not that's all.

Ceres 629's strategy guides

Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire.

0 A.D
Peachy
Skirmisher
posted 10-07-07 10:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 332       
If any of use hav played spartan total warrior on Ps2 i hav an idea the pikeman should be spartan spearheads coz thats there name and halidbears think thats write they could be like the guys of the movie that go to kill the persians and the explorer could be king leodnidas
Canadian Eh
Skirmisher
posted 10-08-07 09:32 AM EDT (US)     24 / 332       
@Peachy I'm pretty sure they aren't to make the greek civ completly based around Sparta. You also need to remember that Sparta was only one city there were also places like Athens, Syracuse and Thebes.

"he quite literaly Layeth the Smacketh down"
Tungsten_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 10-10-07 11:44 AM EDT (US)     25 / 332       
So, are you guys going to make it so that there's some sort of Spartan upgrade that makes Greek Hoplites stronger, or are you guys going add an actual Spartan Unit?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 14  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames