Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.81 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Most Underrated Units
Bottom
Topic Subject:Most Underrated Units
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 05-23-08 07:56 PM EDT (US)         
So, what do you guys think is the most underrated unit in the game?

For me, I'm going to go with Steppe Riders. Those guys really are fierce. After all, they deal double the damage to Ranged Infantry pop-wise as Hussars too and can siege very well right off the bat. Not to mention, add just one card, and you've basically got Colonial Oprichniks. I think what is underrated most about these dudes is their *LI killing ability, which is excellent contrary to popular belief.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
AuthorReplies:
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 06-09-08 12:23 PM EDT (US)     76 / 81       
Organ guns also have less HP, which is fine for their lower cost and pop but early fortress when you only get them from shipments that advantage you would have from 2 falcs would be important.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
Codacious
Skirmisher
posted 06-09-08 03:21 PM EDT (US)     77 / 81       
Alot of rushes are purely infantry. I like to boom to fortress then pull out the organ card to protect against any early attacks while I focus more on the economy. Organs are also good against the russian strelet spam, redcoats, and any other LI spam.

Falconets don't have the splash damage like organs and they are cheaper. Not to mention ports don't have falcs anyways.
SahintheFalcon
Skirmisher
posted 06-09-08 04:08 PM EDT (US)     78 / 81       
With all this talk about Grenadiers actually being a decent unit, I'm starting to think that grens AREN'T an underrated unit. I think the really underrated units are the lower-tier mercs like fusiliers and manchu. Also hackapells can be useful if mixed in with hussars. But most people just use units like mamelukes and lil bombards.

ESO Nickname: Eisenhower
Favorite Age 3 character: Sahin the Falcon
Unban James Lock!
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 06-09-08 04:49 PM EDT (US)     79 / 81       
It's probably because hackapells have such low relative HP. Mamelukes have better resistance and last a bit longer, and that's a lot of gold to spend on a purely raiding unit, so I'd rather have something that lasts longer or can be used in a battle.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 06-09-08 06:51 PM EDT (US)     80 / 81       
I agree that Organ Guns aren't too bad, but they're definitely not as good as falconets. If you want to know an underrated artillery piece, look no farther than the flying crow. ;D

I agree with CunniJA that steppe riders are awesome, especially as an age 2 unit (the 7 steppe rider shipment is always useful in age 2), but I see a lot of people saying they're good, so I wouldn't call them underrated.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair

[This message has been edited by Emperor_Kyle (edited 06-09-2008 @ 06:52 PM).]

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 06-09-08 11:39 PM EDT (US)     81 / 81       
to kill the fun :P i think that the imperial gendarme are the most underated unit in the game.... lol
i mean even longbows beat them... lol
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames