You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Noob FAQ (Read before asking a question)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Noob FAQ (Read before asking a question)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Jer_IV
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 09:24 AM EDT (US)         
After all of the questions, "How do I do this?" I've decided to do a FAQ for noobs.

Q. I can't choose a civ to play. Got any ideas?
Normally, each civ is fine, but the three easiest civs are the Spanish, British, and French. Ottomans are very easy too, but they can create very bad habits.

Q. What is the best civ?
There is no 'best' civ. Currently, Japan and India are at the top, but they are stoppable.

Q. I always get a bad economy compared to my enemy. How can I outboom someone?
First, no excuses, make ALL POSSIBLE villagers. Take advantage of your civ's economic bonuses. For example, if you're Dutch dont have three banks up for the whole game. Or if you're Japan make lots of shrines. Also, get economic improvements at the mill, market, and plantation. Lastly, use economic home city shipments.

Q. How do I beat those darn Cuirassiers/Gendarmes?
Fairly easy. Make units that are a HARD counter to cavalry, like Dragoons, Yabusame, Keshliks, Zamburaks, Ruyters, or Cavalry Archers. Also, Halberdiers and Samurai do a very nice job.

Q. What is the best unit?
There is no best unit. Something has a counter to everything.

Q. How do I reach the Imperial Age? I can't
In Deathmatch you can't reach Imperial Age, or in the Campaign. But in Supremacy, all you need to do is gather 4000 food, 4000 Coin, and research Imperial Age at the Town Center.

Q. How do I download/view recorded games?
To download them on a PC, put the file in My Documents/My Games/Age of Empires 3/Savegame.

To view them, go to the main menu, hit the Help and Tools button, hit the 'Recorded Games' button, and click the replay you downloaded.

Q. What military unit counters what?
Use the effing search function.

More to come. Give me suggestions and I'll most likely add them.

ESO: Jeremiah_IV

[This message has been edited by Jer_IV (edited 06-13-2008 @ 12:12 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 11:03 AM EDT (US)     1 / 31       
*sigh* I haven't taught you well enough it seems
Q. What is the best civ?
There is no 'best' civ. Currently, Japan and India are at the top, but they are stoppable.
Yes, there is a best civ. You even admitted that Japan and India are better than the others, hence best.
Q. What is the best unit?
There is no best unit. Something has a counter to everything.
Ashigarus =/

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
grymanwr
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 11:30 AM EDT (US)     2 / 31       
I'm happy to join the pedantry:
Yes, there is a best civ. You even admitted that Japan and India are better than the others, hence best.
It was stated that there is no best CIV. If India and Japan are the best of all 14 civs then there is no best civ (assuming that Japan and India are equal). There are best civs, making Jer_IV's answer correct.

[This message has been edited by grymanwr (edited 05-25-2008 @ 04:47 PM).]

Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 12:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31       
They aren't equal.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 05-25-08 12:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31       
India->Japan->Germany->Everyone else

That's how the tiering is right now with the Germans, Japanese and Indians being the top 3 and everyone else more or less balanced.
Q. How do I beat those darn Cuirassiers/Gendarmes?
Fairly easy. Make units that are a HARD counter to cavalry, like Dragoons, Yabusame, Keshliks, Zamburaks, Ruyters, or Cavalry Archers. Also, Halberdiers and Samurai do a very nice job.
Musketeers are a hard counter, so are Rodelero and Pikemen.
Q. I always get a bad economy compared to my enemy. How can I outboom someone?
First, no excuses, make ALL POSSIBLE villagers. Take advantage of your civ's economic bonuses. For example, if you're Dutch dont have three banks up for the whole game. Or if you're Japan make lots of shrines. Also, get economic improvements at the mill, market, and plantation. Lastly, use economic home city shipments.
Never stop building Villagers is most peoples downfall.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 05-25-2008 @ 12:58 PM).]

grymanwr
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 04:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31       
They aren't equal.
Then please let us know which is better so that the answer to the FAQ can be correct, ie, 'Japan/India is the best civ,' instead of the current contradictive and ambiguous current answer. Only with the correct answer being given can Jer_IV's answer be incorrect and your criticism be constructive. Just tryin to help the noobs! :-)
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 05:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31       
Well they're not equal but that doesn't mean to say that it isn't arguable which one is best I would say India though.

grymanwr
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 05:40 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31       
So, if you split up how good a civ is into components you could say that the inherent components of India and Japan are equal and the rest is opinion. Which, given that opinion cannot be taken as fact, they are equal. I think that the current amiguity will suffice, given that we cannot define which is best.
It would be a negative thing imo to giv a 'best' civ, this would likely result in beginners not exploring other civs. The ambiguous answer at least promotes exploration, analysis and comparison.

(I'd probably go for India too)
Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 06:12 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31       
All civilisations are equal but some civilisations are more equal than others.

I'm going to get stoned for that one, aren't I?

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
H4yd3n
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 07:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 31       
Q. What is the best civ?
Lol Japs and India are easily the best. I think this needs to be changed.

AOEIIITAD IGN: H4yd3n
CRYSIS WARS IGN: BROS H4yd3n
BATTLEFIELD 2142 IGN: H4yd3n
LEFT 4 DEAD/STEAM IGN: H4yd3n

[This message has been edited by H4yd3n (edited 05-25-2008 @ 07:28 PM).]

adamh43524
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 07:48 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31       
All civilisations are equal but some civilisations are more equal than others
animal farm what a book.....lol
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 05-26-08 02:15 AM EDT (US)     11 / 31       
Wow. Everyone having a fight about which civalization is the best. "Oh, my civ pwns your civ you n00b!".... lol..

Well.... Every civalztion has their advantage, and their disadvantage.

In all they equal about the same, but, it depends how the player uses their advantage to out-smart their opponent.

Remember, the civalization is only as good as the player...
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-08 04:50 AM EDT (US)     12 / 31       
And when the players are equal the one using India or Japan wins.

Colonel_UGMO
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 05-26-08 05:07 AM EDT (US)     13 / 31       
Wasn't one of these made a few weeks ago?

ESO NAME: UGMO
I AM USING: TAD
I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.
Sunnydash
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-08 07:25 AM EDT (US)     14 / 31       
i strongly disagree with british and french being the among the easiest civs to play...
British are easy to manage if you want to boom and attack after 8-10 minutes, but if you really want to play them good enough to, lets say, defeat an ottoman rushing you with jans and abus guns or a russian rush, you have to practise a lot...
Same story for french; xbow spam (which since the recent xbow nerf has gotten way harder) is fairly easy, but what if you don't manage to kill your opponent in the rush and the game continues in fortress or even in industrial?

French have a strong eco, but it takes a while to pay off well enough to REALLY outboom british or dutch players. That means in order to keep him contained, you will have to raid him all the time with cuirs and defeat his (most likely) larger armies by a mixture of good micro and superior unit combinations.

Yes, spanish, i agree with you on that one, are easy to play, and so are ottomans...

However after that i'd say ports are the easiest to play (don't flame me please...)
cause the only thing they can really do is turtle (colonial militia etc.) and go ff with mamelucks and organ cannons and so on.

Also easy to play are russians imo; they get "free map control" because of their blockhouses and they have a great rush which kills off most civs fairly easy. And then of course, once you hit fortress, there are those nasty oprichniki....

Whatever, not a bad post all in all, it's just i dont' consider myself a noob so i can't really give you a reliable opinion lol.
Jer_IV
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-08 12:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31       
You're right, the Brits and French are hard to win with, but they are easy to PLAY. When nooblets want those massive battles in Imperial Age, they want military and 200 population. So when they build those houses, they get extra settlers, and 30 vills instead of 10 "accidentally."

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 05-26-08 02:22 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31       
They're not 'easy' to play because they get extra settlers or more expensive ones. That just makes them unique and changes how you play the civ. You gotta know when to be manor booming with Britain, and how to protect your CdB because every one you lose hurts more than a regular settler.

The context you put it in, every civ is easy to play. A simple civ would be the likes of Spain, who has a huge selection of units, they can get to know all the units better, and they get to learn how to use cards better because they get more of them faster.

and best civ, it's definitively India then Japan with Germany bringing up the rear for the top 3 spots.

StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-08 02:51 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31       
I don't get it but what makes India #1 over japan? Only thing india has going is the 10/10 sepoy rush. Japan has daimyos,ashis,yumis,shrines. Yet everyone says India is #1. I'd say Japan is.
Jer_IV
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-08 08:31 PM EDT (US)     18 / 31       
Guys. Let's not turn this into a debate over best civs. Currently the list of FAQ's is pretty tiny, maybe you could help me add on to the list?

ingin_burner
Skirmisher
posted 05-29-08 07:14 PM EDT (US)     19 / 31       
A good tip for noobs, would be to treasure hunt. I remember when i started playing this game, it took me a while before i learned how to treasure hunt effectively. For example, certain gaurdians you should use the 'sniper shot', and certain gaurdians you should hit and run, and certain gaurdians you should walk in and melee attack.

Maybe write a little piece about the benefits of treasure hunting and scouting. A 'how to' tip for gathering treasures and basic info about where to scout, what to look for, etc.
Grottenmolch
Skirmisher
posted 05-29-08 07:39 PM EDT (US)     20 / 31       
India->Japan->Germany->Everyone else

That's how the tiering is right now with the Germans, Japanese and Indians being the top 3 and everyone else more or less balanced.
+1
Quoted from Giskard:
All civilisations are equal but some civilisations are more equal than others
Adam:
animal farm what a book.....lol
Big lol!

[This message has been edited by Grottenmolch (edited 06-13-2008 @ 06:33 PM).]

Giskard
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-08 04:14 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31       
[ridiculous pedantry]

@ Grottenmolch:

Please edit your quote to make it a little clearer that I did not type adamh43524's comment. I never have and never will use the expression "lol" outside a derogatory or humorous manner.

[/ridiculous pedantry]

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match

[This message has been edited by Giskard (edited 05-30-2008 @ 04:16 AM).]

The Bees
Skirmisher
posted 06-06-08 07:53 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31       
best city to learn on? maybe add this... i would say spain.
then maybe french

citys r balenced in team games lol .. i guess u are all talking about 1v1.. which i dont play
-.-
King_Kelly
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-06-08 08:44 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31       
citys r balenced in team games lol .. i guess u are all talking about 1v1.. which i dont play
Right, because there's nothing completely and absolutely broken about Zamburak/Abus?

Team games aren't balanced, one civs strengths covers the others flaws, which is why it feels balanced.

gfmgamer
Skirmisher
posted 06-06-08 11:56 AM EDT (US)     24 / 31       
this is what I think.
If two noob players of exatly the same skill played a 1v1 and one of them was spanish and the other japan. the spanish would probably win because spanish are easeyer to master.
however if two experts did a 1v1 and one was spanish and the other was japan the japnanies would probably win because japan has more options.
I may be wrong but it sounds good.

Here is my new sig, tell me what you think about it.
Evan a fool seems wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he guards his tongue.
proverbs:17 verse 28
think about that.
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-06-08 12:40 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31       
In theory it sounds right, but hypothetical situations are retarded because there's so many variables to winning.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames