You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Noob FAQ (Read before asking a question)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Noob FAQ (Read before asking a question)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Jer_IV
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-08 09:24 AM EDT (US)         
After all of the questions, "How do I do this?" I've decided to do a FAQ for noobs.

Q. I can't choose a civ to play. Got any ideas?
Normally, each civ is fine, but the three easiest civs are the Spanish, British, and French. Ottomans are very easy too, but they can create very bad habits.

Q. What is the best civ?
There is no 'best' civ. Currently, Japan and India are at the top, but they are stoppable.

Q. I always get a bad economy compared to my enemy. How can I outboom someone?
First, no excuses, make ALL POSSIBLE villagers. Take advantage of your civ's economic bonuses. For example, if you're Dutch dont have three banks up for the whole game. Or if you're Japan make lots of shrines. Also, get economic improvements at the mill, market, and plantation. Lastly, use economic home city shipments.

Q. How do I beat those darn Cuirassiers/Gendarmes?
Fairly easy. Make units that are a HARD counter to cavalry, like Dragoons, Yabusame, Keshliks, Zamburaks, Ruyters, or Cavalry Archers. Also, Halberdiers and Samurai do a very nice job.

Q. What is the best unit?
There is no best unit. Something has a counter to everything.

Q. How do I reach the Imperial Age? I can't
In Deathmatch you can't reach Imperial Age, or in the Campaign. But in Supremacy, all you need to do is gather 4000 food, 4000 Coin, and research Imperial Age at the Town Center.

Q. How do I download/view recorded games?
To download them on a PC, put the file in My Documents/My Games/Age of Empires 3/Savegame.

To view them, go to the main menu, hit the Help and Tools button, hit the 'Recorded Games' button, and click the replay you downloaded.

Q. What military unit counters what?
Use the effing search function.

More to come. Give me suggestions and I'll most likely add them.

ESO: Jeremiah_IV

[This message has been edited by Jer_IV (edited 06-13-2008 @ 12:12 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 06-06-08 12:50 PM EDT (US)     26 / 31       
I wish I had a teammate to play with in 2 vs 2's.

I only play 1 vs 1's and I think thats the main gameplay. You don't rely on someone to make a different unit. You're all on your own. It's up to you to win. No ally can help you through the game. Tournament games are based on 1 vs 1's anyhow. To gain more skill you'd do 1 vs 1's.
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-06-08 06:43 PM EDT (US)     27 / 31       
While having an FAQ is good, this FAQ is just a selection of commonly debated issues with author's personal view, i think the only thing it is going to do to someone new is further confusion.
Q. I can't choose a civ to play. Got any ideas?
Normally, each civ is fine, but the three easiest civs are the Spanish, British, and French. Ottomans are very easy too, but they can create very bad habits.
"easy" means less skill needed to play the civ to win. thus strongest civ of current patch is the easist to play. simple as that.
Q. What is the best civ?
There is no 'best' civ. Currently, Japan and India are at the top, but they are stoppable.
there is always "best civ", in some patches to a less extent.

and it doesnt matter whether india is better or equal to japan, these two are clearly way ahead of everyone else, so inequalty exist thus best exist.
Q. I always get a bad economy compared to my enemy. How can I outboom someone?
First, no excuses, make ALL POSSIBLE villagers. Take advantage of your civ's economic bonuses. For example, if you're Dutch dont have three banks up for the whole game. Or if you're Japan make lots of shrines. Also, get economic improvements at the mill, market, and plantation. Lastly, use economic home city shipments.
if someone ALWAYS has worse eco than whoever or whichever civ he plays against, he is playing badly in general and he cant improve with just these tips.

if it is not every time but more than often, then it could entirely depend of the civs played with and against, the chosen strategy, raiding and protecting of one's own vils etc, it is a very complicated thing, you cant really answer that in an FAQ imo.
Q. How do I beat those darn Cuirassiers/Gendarmes?
Fairly easy. Make units that are a HARD counter to cavalry, like Dragoons, Yabusame, Keshliks, Zamburaks, Ruyters, or Cavalry Archers. Also, Halberdiers and Samurai do a very nice job.
I think everyone knows what counters hand cavalry. problem is FU cuirs in age5 (everywhere in treaty games) is not counterable by a lot of the "counters", especially with minimal heavy cannon backing.
Q. What is the best unit?
There is no best unit. Something has a counter to everything.
this entirely depends on the context the question is asked. if asked for the sake of knowing what unit to mass for a given civ, then some are obviously better than others, for example being japan you'd mass yumi or ashi, not samurai or cav archer; for russian you'd go with strelets and cossack, but not halbs and grenadiers.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 06-06-2008 @ 06:50 PM).]

A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 06-06-08 11:33 PM EDT (US)     28 / 31       
Maybe write a little piece about the benefits of treasure hunting and scouting. A 'how to' tip for gathering treasures and basic info about where to scout, what to look for, etc.

There is a guide on treasure hunting. It is here

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 06-06-2008 @ 11:35 PM).]

Jer_IV
Skirmisher
posted 06-07-08 03:17 PM EDT (US)     29 / 31       
This wasnt about teaching noobs how to get better. It was intended to answer questions that noobs commonly ask (besides how to get better.)

Jer_IV
Skirmisher
posted 06-14-08 11:57 PM EDT (US)     30 / 31       
Bump because I saw someone ask a question that was in this list.

Maybe someone could move this to General Discussions?

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-15-08 00:17 AM EDT (US)     31 / 31       
The FAQ's don't help because if someone isn't willing to use one of the stickies we already have or the search function to find it, they aren't going to click this. :\

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames