You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2691 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » TMO XXI - Breakfast at The Sugar Shack, lunch at Ruby's, dinner at Sharkeez and drinks at Hurricane's
Bottom
Topic Subject:TMO XXI - Breakfast at The Sugar Shack, lunch at Ruby's, dinner at Sharkeez and drinks at Hurricane's
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 55 56 57 58 59 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 108  Next Page »
Sawyer
Skirmisher
posted 02-20-10 04:07 AM EDT (US)         

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.

[This message has been edited by Maffia (edited 07-14-2015 @ 08:54 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
jds2012
Skirmisher
posted 09-20-10 09:25 PM EDT (US)     1401 / 2691       
you could always post them here and get some good, quality, un-biased opinion

on a more serious note, i'd be interested in reading whatever it is that you've written, and i don't imagine that i'm the only one here who would be

Keep him from expanding. Keep him scared. Keep him making the wrong type of troops. Control the game, don't react to it.
-Ender_Ward
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 09-21-10 10:00 AM EDT (US)     1402 / 2691       
I might post it elsewhere and link it here. It's hard to make comments on personal writing on a board with no built-in quote function.

I've been told my writing style is almost too expository in flavor. I like to use outlines to build flow and logical progression. It seems hard to vary up my style and depart from the structural, and just write freely. I personally do not like to read a lot of rambling and stream-of-consciousness writing style. Perhaps it is a perceptual weakness or an attention deficit that keeps me chained to logical structure, and not just a stylistic issue.

Is there "help" for this? At what point does a writer need to acknowledge he or she will not likely improve because of a hard-wired neurocognitive or empathic deficit?

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 09-21-10 11:37 AM EDT (US)     1403 / 2691       
Try to break the habit? My writing style is sorely set in stone so I try (and generally fail) to differ from it when I have the leisure of time.

Damn periods. Expressions: dull, monotone, the entire time they laugh at you. A giant unblinking bug eye. They snicker at each word and when you finish thinking their laughter is a ringing conclusion, punctuating whatever you meant to write with a mocking conclusion. Ha!

[This message has been edited by General_II (edited 09-21-2010 @ 08:06 PM).]

OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 08:00 AM EDT (US)     1404 / 2691       
Is there "help" for this? At what point does a writer need to acknowledge he or she will not likely improve because of a hard-wired neurocognitive or empathic deficit?
I think it's entirely possible for writing style to change. I also think your friend is probably right - if you're at college/university and it's available, a creative writing course is likely to be a really good way to learn about writing style and get unbiased feedback.

    
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
(id: DrNick)
posted 09-22-10 10:01 AM EDT (US)     1405 / 2691       
Writing is an art, that's all. I think it's very easy to get "better" at it but your definition of "better" might be different than somebody elses. If you want something that's generally interesting, you may need to adjust but I don't really think you have an empathic deficit... at least it doesn't seem like you have autism to me.

What it sounds like your frinds are talking about is the old addage: "Show don't tell". You can make outlines and have a well defined plot and all that and still follow this addage. It's all about how you present information.

In other words, don't narrate so much. Show qualities and events through characters. The characters, in the end, are what your audience identifies with. Narrations and descriptions, no matter how expertly done, will always be impersonal and distant to some degree while characters can become friends and enemies to the reader.

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

[This message has been edited by drnick (edited 09-22-2010 @ 10:02 AM).]

Thomas Sterns
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 10:11 AM EDT (US)     1406 / 2691       
Bought a copy of farewell to arms yesterday for three dollars, currently in the process of turning it into a cigarette holder. Hell of class.

"In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning."
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 09-22-10 10:15 AM EDT (US)     1407 / 2691       
The empathic deficit I'm talking about is what I see in zines and creative writing you get at the average con or group project.

I'll be reading along, and realize I have absolutely no idea what the author is getting so worked up about, or there's suddenly something I'm supposed to feel, but it's awkward and forced.

If you meet that person later and you ask them what they were saying in this or that writing, they tell you a totally different thing, and then it clicks. "LOL I would have never guessed that was suposed to be important." It makes you feel kind of dumb.

This is sort of like the feeling you get when someone is basically jerking off to his or her infinitely superior technical or arcane encyclopedic knowledge. You don't want to read 1 1/2 pages about the organizational structure of the late Roman army, or the physiology of an alien's inner ear. But when you get that person to edit out all the baggage, there's not much of interest left.

@dio: Quit smoking, it's bad for you.

Crunkatog on ESO
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 09-22-2010 @ 10:19 AM).]

Thomas Sterns
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 10:39 AM EDT (US)     1408 / 2691       
So is using antibacterial gel.

I'm not the biggest fan of cigs, I'd much rather enjoy my lovely hookah, Mary Cassat, or my pipe, Garibaldi, but there's something that I find to be classy as **** about smoking cigs. I'm not even addicted to nicotine as far as I can tell, it's just that I find the act so appealing in this Bogart-esque fashion. Plus smoking is a fairly honourable form of suicide.

Edit: And on a complete different note: joined intramurial quidditch, judging from the competition, and the fact that my team consists of three at least six foot five ex-rowers, a nordic skiir, and a six foot tall volleyball player I'd say we have a good chance of taking the title.

Also, starting a club with a guy that I've become pretty damn good friends with called the Vinyl Collective. We have our constitution approval meeting on the morrow. Clubs just about dancing to records, and enjoying the sound quality of music.

One more thing, found a dude last night at like 2 am that is a player of the good ol' DnD, and learned from a good friend of mine that went to his high school(Fact: world is small) so he probs have a good playing style. Probably going to play some 3.5 with him, and hopefully we'll find some more peoples. Pretty big fan of the hall I live in, biggest hall on campus, but it's the only one on the west side of the river where the theater, art center, dance studio, and social science classes are held. Advantageous since the building is flooded with various actors, art students, dancers(), and history students.

Oh, another friend of mine, and I are going to check out a non-university affiliated socratic discussion group next Sunday. Very, very pumped about that.

[This message has been edited by Thomas Sterns (edited 09-22-2010 @ 11:12 AM).]

As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 09-22-10 11:41 AM EDT (US)     1409 / 2691       
I forgot about the U of M's legendary quidditch team.

Smoking makes you look old and pallid and wrinkled, it prematurely ages your skin, and makes your clothes and hair stink.

It makes you have to spit up gobbets of phlegm in polite company, limits your lung capacity so that exercise makes you feel crappy instead of great, and just try quitting. You think you're not addicted. Watch the weight pile on as you gnaw on anything just to keep your hands and mouth busy.

Besides causing 90% of lung cancers, increasing your risk of stroke or heart attack by 50-70% over 30 years, and increasing the incidence of ALL epithelial cancers far above background rates.

Sorry man, smoking is def not cool anymore. When I'm out having a good time, I ****ing hate it when someone comes by and ruins it with their compulsive, filthy habit and eye-watering stink. They have to drag you outside in the snow to chat with you because the bars won't let you smoke indoors anymore.

But then, that's just me. I'm sure you have many friends who don't mind standing around in -28 C ass deep in snow just to hear you chitchat and stand downwind from your sulphurous cloud.

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 12:31 PM EDT (US)     1410 / 2691       

funfact: herbal cig
Pulse_of_Shift
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 12:45 PM EDT (US)     1411 / 2691       
I was very disappointed when the campus ban here failed, especially because the vote was 52-48 or something like that. I can't stand it when I'm walking around and have to smell that shit, and it makes me cough up a storm sometimes too. I'm really hoping that it comes up for a vote again, it's been a year or so now.

Not surprisingly, on the Denver campus, which is where all the medical school people go, they passed the ban on their campus overwhelmingly. It was around 85-15 or something.

/rant

Rick: POS is literally the best poster.
Lunatic: POS, you are awesome, can I marry you?
Thomas Sterns
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 12:57 PM EDT (US)     1412 / 2691       
Actually Minnesota's first year with a team, so everyone is super inexperienced, but the team that wins the university's competition gets to represent the university in the 'World Cup' in NYC, I think.

Yeah, Saffah, not going to convince me of the horrors of smoking. My mind is pretty firmly set in the eloquence of those cancer-ridden sticks. What care do I have if my face grows wrinkle, if my skin starts to age? Why have such a superfluous thought? What matters is my brain, not the lines on my face.

I bike between forty, and one hundred miles during the working week. Exercise is darling, one of the best highs I've ever encountered. Quitting is something, if I were one who wanted to quit, I could easily handle. My thoughts don't circumvent that yellow smoke, they haven't in the three years that I've smoked. I've gone from smoking about six cigarettes a day for months, and then just not one day.

Bearing the cold(and trust me, I know cold) isn't a delight, but it isn't terrible. I'm a big fan of the cold, and some of my best conversations with people have happened with those rolled buggers in hand. So far at college, most my closest friends I've all met smoking out on the log.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. I understand where you're coming from, but I just can't agree.

Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 01:07 PM EDT (US)     1413 / 2691       
I'll be reading along, and realize I have absolutely no idea what the author is getting so worked up about, or there's suddenly something I'm supposed to feel, but it's awkward and forced.

If you meet that person later and you ask them what they were saying in this or that writing, they tell you a totally different thing, and then it clicks. "LOL I would have never guessed that was suposed to be important." It makes you feel kind of dumb.
Sounds more like bad writing than bad reading.

Dr Nick
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 02:58 PM EDT (US)     1414 / 2691       
first rule of creative writing: the reader is always wrong!

eight days left and i still have to write something. i did write one sort of story but it's not very good and i don't like how it turned out at all. i don't think i can even rework it right now, so i'm still trying to get something else done.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 09-22-10 03:30 PM EDT (US)     1415 / 2691       
Huh. I'm in a very similar situation but I haven't given up on it yet. So far every sentence has been like pulling teeth but I assume that's because I've been away from writing for so long that I'm having trouble sliding back into it.

Dr Nick
Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 09-23-10 08:11 PM EDT (US)     1416 / 2691       
I once wrote a detective story inspired after reading volumes of Sherlock Holmes.

Needless to say, it was awful and I suck at writing stories. So, I gave up.

This is just friendly advice for Mete. Time to give up.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 09-23-10 08:41 PM EDT (US)     1417 / 2691       
thanks kumar you are the most supportive friend i have ever had!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
von Nelson
Skirmisher
(id: General_Nelson)
posted 09-23-10 10:19 PM EDT (US)     1418 / 2691       

British bank notes are massive. Is the UK compensating for something?

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY
Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 09-24-10 00:05 AM EDT (US)     1419 / 2691       
we have small pennies

house won this
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 09-24-10 03:14 AM EDT (US)     1420 / 2691       

woooah
I Love Bananas
Skirmisher
posted 09-24-10 05:40 AM EDT (US)     1421 / 2691       
Amazing. They even managed to paint the sky.

Sweet baby maizes!
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 09-24-10 08:13 AM EDT (US)     1422 / 2691       
I'm at work at the moment so can't tell, but that video better have Benny Hill music.

This month I have mostly been playing Dishonored Death of the Outsider and Darkest Dungeon
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
Pulse_of_Shift
Skirmisher
posted 09-24-10 12:00 PM EDT (US)     1423 / 2691       
Sadly, no. However, I liked it anyway.

Rick: POS is literally the best poster.
Lunatic: POS, you are awesome, can I marry you?
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 09-24-10 12:01 PM EDT (US)     1424 / 2691       
I just checked and it doesn't.

It does remind me of old Command and conquer single player scenarios with the millions of guys popping out of trees and stuff.

Dr Nick
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 09-24-10 08:09 PM EDT (US)     1425 / 2691       
<3 paintball blitzkrieg

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 55 56 57 58 59 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 108  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames