You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.171 replies, Sticky
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » From The Bathroom Wall: Saloon Book (and Film) Thread 2
Bottom
Topic Subject:From The Bathroom Wall: Saloon Book (and Film) Thread 2
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
(id: DrNick)
posted 05-05-10 12:32 PM EDT (US)         
So Dio informed me on Facebook that the old book thread was destickied. I went to post in it and ask why and then found out it was archived as well.

Pretty sure that's some major bullshit right there. So I started this one. I expect it to be stickied ASAP. TIA.

Content:

So what are you reading right now?

I'm rereading Democracy by Joan Didion. It's a book with great atmosphere and a lot of fun Politics vis a vis the end of the Vietnam war. I highly recommend it.

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
AuthorReplies:
Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 05-05-10 12:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 171       
Post Removed, a lame joke in retrospect :-/

[This message has been edited by Cheesewiz (edited 09-06-2016 @ 01:56 AM).]

Arkhane
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 01:03 PM EDT (US)     2 / 171       
Apart from in the holidays I only read books for my course...so at the moment I'm reading Violence and Memory, One Hundred Years in the Dark Forests of Matabeleland by Alexander, McGregor and Ranger. Just read Globalisation and its Discontents by Stiglitz (actually a very interesting book - recommend it)
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 01:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 171       
i saw that facebook post and went to preemptively bump it but saw that it had been archived and i couldn't ****ing archiving for threads that aren't even old.

anyway i'm currently reading time traveler's wife and it's really slow going for someone reason. like half way through. haven't been reading much lately which is why it's taking so long.

recently i've also read:

rendezvous with rama by arthur c clarke: the perfect sci fi novel. it was great.
legend of bagger vance by steven pressfield: okay. if you like golf and/or georgia you might like it. i still like pressfield a lot though so i enjoyed the book.

ubik by phillip k dick (can't remember if this was before or after the book thread died): your standard dick fair. not really notable but it was good.

valis by phillip k dick: ****ing weird. i think i'm finally understanding it now a few months after reading. really weird though. don't read it unless you've read lots of his other stuff.

also some anthro book that no one would care about.

ps tell dio to get himself unbanned

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-05-10 01:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 171       
Stuck (stickied?) per request.

My wanna-read list is too long, and my time is too short, and the library is too cheap to get more crap in so I don't have to wait.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 01:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 171       
Thanks! I didn't know I just had to ask. Anyway, my wife is reading The Dark Tower series for the first time which is fun because I first read the first three books when that's all there was (I was in 8th grade at the time). So it's nice to see it through fresh eyes.

Dr Nick
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-05-10 02:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 171       
I like Stephen King and would like to read those eventually, but my husband dislikes anything pop-culturish and probably wouldn't appreciate me bringing those into the house.

Crunkatog on ESO
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 05-05-2010 @ 02:12 PM).]

Pulse_of_Shift
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 03:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 171       
Damn. There goes our four for all with Lady Gaga.

Rick: POS is literally the best poster.
Lunatic: POS, you are awesome, can I marry you?
GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 03:36 PM EDT (US)     8 / 171       
I'm actually about to start a Joan Didion book as well, The Year of Magical Thinking.

Arkhane
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 05:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 171       
I like Stephen King and would like to read those eventually, but my husband dislikes anything pop-culturish and probably wouldn't appreciate me bringing those into the house.
You're a girl! Wow. I like Stephen King, favourite got to be the Stand. It's epic.
Botolf
Royal Guard
posted 05-05-10 05:28 PM EDT (US)     10 / 171       
Going to start reading "Do androids dream of electric sheep" by Philip K. Dick today.

| Botolf the Crazed |
There's treasure everywhere!
Winner of the Kman Lame Puns Award
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 05:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 171       
that's one of my favorite books of all time!

reread it cover to cover just a few weeks ago.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 05:58 PM EDT (US)     12 / 171       
Oooooo, I have that too. Maybe I'll read that before Year of Magical Thinking.

Let's read it together Butluv! *hugz*

Botolf
Royal Guard
posted 05-05-10 06:01 PM EDT (US)     13 / 171       
You're on, Jarls!

| Botolf the Crazed |
There's treasure everywhere!
Winner of the Kman Lame Puns Award
OldGrex
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-10 07:23 PM EDT (US)     14 / 171       
Re-reading "Caravans," by Michener. Novel set in post-WWII Afghanistan. Excellent work on culture and geography used as setting for a fine adventure yarn, with a little philosophy and current political relevance to boot.

Strive For Ataraxia
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-05-10 09:44 PM EDT (US)     15 / 171       
Michener is good times. Texas, Alaska, The Source, and a couple others in there deserve mention.

Also Hawaii and Poland.

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 05-06-2010 @ 03:25 PM).]

CriticallyShamed
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-10 02:43 AM EDT (US)     16 / 171       
I just finished a book called "Buddha" by the person who wrote the Vampire Diaries or some such. Don't pay too much attention the authors unless they're absolutely mint.

Just finished "To Kill a Mocking Bird" as well. That was pretty good.

Had to read some junk ("Looking for Alibrandi" iirc) for an English assignment as well. Pity that our HOD always chooses some ridiculous novel about the repressed minorities so that we can broaden our cultural views. It's not called "Learn about the struggles of others class" it's called English -.-
Pulse_of_Shift
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-10 02:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 171       
It's not called "Learn about the struggles of others class" it's called English -.-
Yes. We should only read the tales of dead white men because they're the only people with anything valuable to say.

Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-10 05:36 PM EDT (US)     18 / 171       
Don't forget Ayn Rand!

Dr Nick
Pulse_of_Shift
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-10 07:14 PM EDT (US)     19 / 171       
Dead white men covers Ayn Rand because she was, for all intents and purposes, a man.

GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-10 07:29 PM EDT (US)     20 / 171       
And, thankfully, is also dead.

Centy13
Skirmisher
(id: Shan)
posted 05-07-10 09:52 AM EDT (US)     21 / 171       
I'm currently reading 'Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World' By Niall Ferguson.
http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Britain-Made-Modern-World/dp/0141007540

Except I bought the cheap paperback penguin books edition.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
CriticallyShamed
Skirmisher
posted 05-10-10 05:43 AM EDT (US)     22 / 171       
PoS: You're missing the point. I don't need to read junky pop-fiction novels. Our class hasn't even done any of the classics, instead we focus on THE VIDEO of Bend it Like Beckham.

We did actually do Romeo and Juliet but of course, because all teenagers are attention deficit, we had to watch the DVD remake by Baz Luhrmann...

ATM reading: Some book on 30 things you need to know before you die or etc.
Pulse_of_Shift
Skirmisher
posted 05-10-10 08:22 AM EDT (US)     23 / 171       
Wow, yeah. Bend it like Beckham, that's pr dumb

Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 05-10-10 12:51 PM EDT (US)     24 / 171       
Yeah... though I kind of liked yhat remake of Romeo and Juliet. I don't think that play was meant to be taken as seriously as some people do. It's not "true love". The whole point was that they were fickle children who killed themselves needlessly.

At least, that's what I took from it. Admittedly, it's been quite a while.

Anyway, all this talk I've been doing about James Joyce recently made me want to give Ulysses another go. I couldn't finish it the first time (it's complex, full of references I didn't understand and really long). I'm going along much better with it now. It's amazing what six years will do to your reading comprehension. The first chapter is still really, really hard but after that, the focus shifts to Leopold Bloom who's a sort of working class guy so the stream of consciousness stuff is more intelligible and relatable (as befits the character).

Dr Nick
CriticallyShamed
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-10 07:39 AM EDT (US)     25 / 171       
Rick: My issue wasn't that it was the remake as much as it was a DVD. The newer movie had some good parts but I just don't like watching movies to study English.

That's an interesting take on the story though, I'm not going to debate what the story meant because Shakespeare is long dead and everyone will have their own opinions and I'll be damned if I can convince them to agree =/
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames