You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.171 replies, Sticky
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » From The Bathroom Wall: Saloon Book (and Film) Thread 2
Bottom
Topic Subject:From The Bathroom Wall: Saloon Book (and Film) Thread 2
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
(id: DrNick)
posted 05-05-10 12:32 PM EDT (US)         
So Dio informed me on Facebook that the old book thread was destickied. I went to post in it and ask why and then found out it was archived as well.

Pretty sure that's some major bullshit right there. So I started this one. I expect it to be stickied ASAP. TIA.

Content:

So what are you reading right now?

I'm rereading Democracy by Joan Didion. It's a book with great atmosphere and a lot of fun Politics vis a vis the end of the Vietnam war. I highly recommend it.

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
AuthorReplies:
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 02-25-11 04:31 AM EDT (US)     101 / 171       
Saw the 3-10 remake with christian bale and russell crowe
and also the only movie i've seen since i last posted in this thread was the social network, which was pretty okay. for some reason i can't bring myself to love it although i think it was quite good.
I've also seen that and i think i agree. The dialogue was nice and pacy and satisfying which made it a pr enjoyable watch

Shrink
on the trender train
posted 02-28-11 02:52 PM EDT (US)     102 / 171       
and also i realized my dad used to quote it like every week which i never realized (when i was a kid he used to do the 'walk this way' thing all the time and i never knew he was doing anything but being weird).
I recently discovered something similar in that my dad always used to quote dad's army catchphrases and i thought he was just being weird ...until i saw a few episodes recently
(specifically, 'don't panic, mr mainwaring!', 'you stupid boy' and a couple others. not necessarily weird phrases but it was the voice he put on i guess)

Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 02-28-11 03:36 PM EDT (US)     103 / 171       
Your name vill alzo go on ze list

This month I have mostly been playing Dishonored Death of the Outsider and Darkest Dungeon
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]

[This message has been edited by Maffia (edited 02-28-2011 @ 03:45 PM).]

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 03-01-11 00:37 AM EDT (US)     104 / 171       
is Heart of Darkness good?

QUACK
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 03-02-11 11:05 PM EDT (US)     105 / 171       
Yes. Then you can watch Apocalypse Now and feel cool too.
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 03-07-11 06:03 PM EDT (US)     106 / 171       
Yeah, Lord Jim is good too. Joseph Conrad is pretty boss.

Dr Nick

[This message has been edited by drnick (edited 03-07-2011 @ 06:04 PM).]

oliver
Skirmisher
posted 03-08-11 05:15 AM EDT (US)     107 / 171       
Call of the Wild by Jack London was a happy surprise for me. Just long enough for an afternoon without something better to do and a plot theme as fresh as ever. 5/5

I finished off the animal day with Jonathan Livingston Seagull. It was good, but mainly from an aesthetic point of view (I loved the photos within, especially those printed on translucent paper). 4/5

Tried to read Seamus Heaney, but I just can't enjoy any poetry these days ...
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 03-08-11 04:42 PM EDT (US)     108 / 171       
I picked up a book on Celtic Myth. It's decent. I'm enjoying the myths but the translator/writer is kind of a wierd guy.

He's brought up at least three times (in two seperate stories and in the introduction) that Leprachaun is a bastardization of the god Lugh of the Long Arm's name. I get that the guy's a translator and Celtic myth is interesting in the way it intersects with Christianity but give it a rest, dude.

Dr Nick
oliver
Skirmisher
posted 03-09-11 06:42 AM EDT (US)     109 / 171       
drnick, I vaguely remember you were interested in poetry. Can you recommend any modern or contemporary poets who write in the English language, and who prefer simplicity and sharpness in favor of unnecessary ornamentation, far-fetched metaphors and quirky words, almost like, how shall I say, minimalism? Oh, and I love experimental stuff.

Minimal experimental contemporary English poetry. Yeah.
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 03-09-11 12:26 PM EDT (US)     110 / 171       
ee cummings is probably right up your alley.

This is one of my favorites of his:

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~cooneys/poems/cummings.nextto.html

Of course, Robert Frost is pretty "plain language" though he really likes extended metaphor.

It's tough because there aren't many contemporary poets who write in English anymore. At least, many I would take seriously. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I think (in the US at least which is where I have experience) that pop music has largely taken the place of poetry in serving that specific cultural niche. It's unfortunate because I love language and poetry is all about playing with it.

Dr Nick

[This message has been edited by drnick (edited 03-09-2011 @ 12:35 PM).]

oliver
Skirmisher
posted 03-09-11 12:52 PM EDT (US)     111 / 171       
*makes note*

Today I also manned up to visit our author/neighbor and ask for a review on a few of my poems. She's a kind, skilled and price-winning poet herself. My final goal is of course to be published, and while I do have enough material to fill up a book, I want to really nail it before I send anything to the publishers.

Same here, I love the play of language and there are things only written text can say, not to overlook spoken word and lyrics. I also have a soft spot for language that is "wrong" in one way or another. I have a few pen pals who are writers in their own language but poor at English, and I always tell them I love all the mistakes they make, haha.

[This message has been edited by oLiver (edited 03-09-2011 @ 01:10 PM).]

Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 03-12-11 01:25 PM EDT (US)     112 / 171       
You should post them here.

Dr Nick
oliver
Skirmisher
posted 03-13-11 05:12 AM EDT (US)     113 / 171       
I would, but since they're so deeply rooted in the Swedish language translating them would be like writing a whole new poem. If anyone here knows Swedish, you are welcome to visit this site. I publish all I write online. Recently I'm experimenting with bilingual writing, effectively destroying two languages at once, heh.

[This message has been edited by oLiver (edited 03-13-2011 @ 05:34 AM).]

Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-11 12:58 PM EDT (US)     114 / 171       
Oh, they're in sweedish. For some reason I thought they were in English (not sure why now that I look at it).

Dr Nick
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 03-22-11 09:04 PM EDT (US)     115 / 171       
i've been really lazy lately about reading and stuff.

i read the wonderful life of oscar wao last, and to be honest i really didn't like it. i'm not even sure what about it i'm supposed to like. it was weird too because about a third of the way into the book you find out the narrator is a real person, and he's pretty much a complete asshole in a way that adds nothing to the story at all. oh and he happens to be a writer along with the main character (i hate when writers make all their characters be writers or even just book enthusiasts. it's just lame). the style and language was entertaining a for about twenty pages, and then the novelty of that wore off and there was nothing left in the book to enjoy. the same goes for all the history placed in the footnotes.

before that i read i robot and it was pretty boring, but that's what i expected so whatever. i needed something easy to get in the habit of reading again so that's why i read it.

now i'm reading kafka on the shore by murakami. i like it so far, but i'm only about a hundred pages in (out of like 500 i think? idk) although i'm getting a little tired of reading his style so this will probably be the last of his books i read for a couple months (unless i end up loving this one). so far though it's better than both of his other novels i've read. one thing that bothers me though is that his protagonists end up getting a handjob from pretty much every girl they meet. it seems pretty ridiculous but maybe i've been meeting the wrong girls my entire life. or maybe i should just talk to more japanese girls.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

[This message has been edited by Meteora (edited 03-22-2011 @ 09:08 PM).]

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 03-22-11 09:05 PM EDT (US)     116 / 171       
oh and for movies i haven't seen any since i last posted here except for red, which was silly but watchable i guess. i don't really remember it at all even though it was only like two weeks ago.

i kind of want to see sucker punch though for reasons i absolutely cannot fathom.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Arkhane
Skirmisher
posted 03-22-11 11:10 PM EDT (US)     117 / 171       
I've read a book! The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham. About a man who rejects convention, it totally rules.
oliver
Skirmisher
posted 03-23-11 07:09 AM EDT (US)     118 / 171       
or maybe i should just talk to more japanese girls.
Sitting on first-hand information like I do, I can tell you that Japanese men are dicks. Few civilised countries, if any, objectify their women like the they do. Speaking of which, I read Moby Dick the other day. Good read, although the climax came a bit too quickly for me.

(yes, this post is a pun-fest)

[This message has been edited by oLiver (edited 03-23-2011 @ 07:10 AM).]

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 03-23-11 12:44 PM EDT (US)     119 / 171       
i've considered trying to read moby dick but every time i look at it i decide that i don't have that much patience.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 03-24-11 01:30 PM EDT (US)     120 / 171       
I still think everyone who still reads this thread should check out Winesburg, Ohio and Babbitt. I don't know why but I love both of those books so much.

Also, the short story The Blue Hotel convinced me to become a writer after I read it (for some reason).

Dr Nick

[This message has been edited by drnick (edited 03-24-2011 @ 01:33 PM).]

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 03-24-11 05:16 PM EDT (US)     121 / 171       
did you make those recommendations before? i would have checked them out if i had seen them :/

i think i'm going to read a game of thrones now because all of a sudden i'm seeing it pop up on random forums and on facebook. i hope this doesn't make me really nerdy.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 03-24-11 10:49 PM EDT (US)     122 / 171       
Let me know how it is. I've heard a lot of people recommend it but haven't read it myself.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I made those recommendations before. Though they're books I read years and years ago so it might have been quite some time ago that I did.

Dr Nick
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-11 01:34 AM EDT (US)     123 / 171       
it will probably be a few weeks since i haven't bought it yet and i have some other books to read first, but of course once i do read it i'll post about it in this thread.

i'm definitely reading that ohio book too, probably after a game of thrones

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-11 10:44 PM EDT (US)     124 / 171       
I saw you added it to your list.

The first story -- I think it's called "Hands" -- is really, really good and sets the tone for the rest of the book really well.

Some of the stories are very "Slice of Life" but the themes are similar to Faulkner's (the whole "This is the REAL small town, USA" thing) but it's very understated and I like it a lot.

It's one of those books that was very popular and influential at the time it was released but sort of fell by the wayside over the years.

Dr Nick
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 04-01-11 05:24 PM EDT (US)     125 / 171       
the borders here is closing so i picked up a few things for 30% off, among them kafka's metamorphisis (which i ain't never read) and a game of thrones or whatever. also two other books that i can't even recall at the moment.

they didn't have winesburg ohio or babbit, but that doesn't surprise me and i was going to hit up amazon for those i think, unless i feel like hitting the library maybe.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames