You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.171 replies, Sticky
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » From The Bathroom Wall: Saloon Book (and Film) Thread 2
Bottom
Topic Subject:From The Bathroom Wall: Saloon Book (and Film) Thread 2
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 7  Next Page »
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
(id: DrNick)
posted 05-05-10 12:32 PM EDT (US)         
So Dio informed me on Facebook that the old book thread was destickied. I went to post in it and ask why and then found out it was archived as well.

Pretty sure that's some major bullshit right there. So I started this one. I expect it to be stickied ASAP. TIA.

Content:

So what are you reading right now?

I'm rereading Democracy by Joan Didion. It's a book with great atmosphere and a lot of fun Politics vis a vis the end of the Vietnam war. I highly recommend it.

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
AuthorReplies:
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 05-17-10 02:06 AM EDT (US)     26 / 171       
reading their eyes were watching god for school. Actually I've stopped reading it as it's too boring to read :/

QUACK
GoForGoldenJarls
Skirmisher
posted 05-17-10 03:28 AM EDT (US)     27 / 171       
I hold a deep hatred for Their Eyes Were Watching God.

General_II
Skirmisher
posted 06-01-10 01:27 PM EDT (US)     28 / 171       
Ya don like dat phon-netic dialogue? Yes, the book sucks.

Been reading some Bradbury, haven't felt like touching Musashi for a few weeks... I have my eye on Confederates in the Attic, but don't plan on reading it for a few weeks; from the few pages I've skimmed it's fairly interesting. I want to check out something like House of the Dead or The Gambler, but everything over 100 pages is a turn-off after reading Crime and Punishment.
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 06-19-10 03:47 PM EDT (US)     29 / 171       
RE: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=2&tn=38035&st=recent

hey mete did you like this book or what? I really did when i read it and so i read it twice cos i liked it but did you?

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 06-19-10 04:13 PM EDT (US)     30 / 171       
Nah I didn't really like it. I felt like the story really crawled along and though at times it was interesting those times felt really far and few between. took me forever to read it because of that. i don't know why, i really wanted to like it too.

I'm rereading siddhartha now and then idk what i'll read next.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 06-19-10 05:19 PM EDT (US)     31 / 171       
So do you blame me?

Siddhartha is okay. I really got the feeling that it was a westerner's view of eastern religion and he got a lot of stuff close but not quite right.

Dr Nick
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 06-19-10 06:17 PM EDT (US)     32 / 171       
Nah because I don't think it's a bad book, just didn't do anything for me for whatever reason.

I like Siddhartha bit I see what you're saying. I wouldn't use it as source for in depth studying of eastern philosophy. It's way better than steppenwolf though for what its worth.

What are you reading now?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 06-20-10 02:04 PM EDT (US)     33 / 171       
I'm ready Bite Me by Christopher Moore. It's most definitely not anything heavy or literary but it's fun.

Bite Me is the third book in a series of funny vampire books based in modern day san francisco. This is my least favorite in the series. Sometimes he really seems like he's trying too hard and this book is a little more of that than the others.

I recommend "Lamb" by him though. It's really funny.

Dr Nick
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-10 06:29 PM EDT (US)     34 / 171       
i haven't read anything in like a month. this is bad. not counting things i've read on my phone while bored at work. and on that note, i still need to finish anthen.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-10 07:05 PM EDT (US)     35 / 171       
I'm going to assume you mean Anthem so I can go on another Ayn Rand tirade under my breath.

I have one thing to say: Anthem should have had the subtitle: "The tale of a poorly constructed straw man".

Dr Nick
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 07-06-10 07:39 PM EDT (US)     36 / 171       
well gfgj said it's good so there

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
hoNo
Skirmisher
posted 07-07-10 04:03 AM EDT (US)     37 / 171       
case of exploding mangoes. anybody read it?
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 07-07-10 12:37 PM EDT (US)     38 / 171       
I'm getting a nook this weekend so I can read everything and everyone :wub:

I almost said "I'm getting a mango" after reading the above post

Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 07-08-10 11:58 AM EDT (US)     39 / 171       
well gfgj said it's good so there
It's probably not poorly written but it's been quite a while since I read it. I just happen to vehemently disagree with Objectivism and so that's what I took from it.

Dr Nick
Thomas Sterns
Skirmisher
posted 07-08-10 01:59 PM EDT (US)     40 / 171       
oh a book thread, sweet. im reading harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban atm. going through the entire series again.
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-10 08:47 PM EDT (US)     41 / 171       
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3931312

i only have on friend. if you are on you should add me.

oh and anthem was alright. i'm not really sure what she was warning and/or whining about and the whole end bit where the protag was free and could build a paradise was a bit silly. As a book though it was an alright read. most dystopias have an encounter where the protagonist meets some authority figure (whether it's mustapha mond the world controller, Brian the inner party member, the local fire chief, etc.) and this encounter is used to explain or justify the actions taken by the authority. because anthem is missing this the whole thing comes across as kind of shallow and it feels as if rand is tilting at windmills. This would have made it a better read too because it would have given time for the main character to be fleshed out and made into an actual person and also would have given life to the other characters, like his girlfriend and his best friend (who apparently disappeared after the first few chapters, not sure what that was about).

still it had it's charm. maybe i just like dystopias.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

[This message has been edited by Meteora (edited 07-18-2010 @ 08:47 PM).]

Elpea
Hal
posted 07-18-10 09:25 PM EDT (US)     42 / 171       
so I'm catching up on all my american literature starting with Mark Twain.

helps that the books are 2 dollars on the nook.

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 07-19-10 12:44 PM EDT (US)     43 / 171       
a lot of his stuff should be free i think. if not all of them. i can download huck finn and i think a few others to my ereader app on my phone for free. charging you two dollars for it seems ridiculous when they don't have to invest any money to publish it for you.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-10 09:45 AM EDT (US)     44 / 171       
Mark Twain is fantastic.

Dr Nick
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 07-20-10 10:12 AM EDT (US)     45 / 171       
Hey mete, why did you give Tuesdays With Morrie only one star?

Just curious - I know people who liked it and some who also would have been hard pressed to give it a star. (I haven't read it yet.)

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-10 00:51 AM EDT (US)     46 / 171       
Mete hates tuesdays with maurie. I think because it's sentimental drivel.

Dr Nick
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-10 01:03 AM EDT (US)     47 / 171       
FYI Mete I joined and friended you.

Dr Nick
Elpea
Hal
posted 07-21-10 08:57 PM EDT (US)     48 / 171       
a lot of his stuff should be free i think. if not all of them. i can download huck finn and i think a few others to my ereader app on my phone for free. charging you two dollars for it seems ridiculous when they don't have to invest any money to publish it for you.
They're giving it all for free now (after I paid for it >_<). They charge 2 dollars for the revision they do to it, and the nook formatting. On the nook store I can download the free versions, but I just want to pay the 2 bucks to make sure it reads nicely on the nook.

Elpea
Hal
posted 07-21-10 08:58 PM EDT (US)     49 / 171       
can we all also try to get a sort of book club thing going on where we all read a book around the same time and discuss it? I know, gay, but hey.

General_II
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-10 09:08 PM EDT (US)     50 / 171       
reading Girl W/ The Dragon Tattoo right now. Nice mystery, otherwise parts of the book seem to be missing something in translation. Going to finish it pretty soon, so will take some recommendations.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames